GoodGrief

Jan 24, 2024
Nah this isn't true. The point is that even if every single person who actually cares about the product showed up, that still isn't enough because the reality is that for blockbusters be it film or games, the bar for success is high and increases as costs go up.
Maybe you're right, but the fight would be a lot damn closer. And that has a knock-on effect. Something like Dune works out because there's so much buzz that even the non-enthusiasts go out of curiosity. If even the enthusiasts don't all show up what hope is there for crossover appeal?

beebop

May 30, 2023
I know Fury Road is a highly lauded critical hit, but I feel it never made a huge splash with everyone else, so it doesn't surprise me a spin off prequel 10 years later doesn't bring people in.
whispers
I never really understood the massive hype for Fury Road online. I found it to be a fun ride, but that's about it. Definitely wouldn't pay to see this in a theater.

Cinnamon

Jan 18, 2023
Chris Hemsworth doesn't have much box office success with films that aren't linked to Marvel/Thor.

He did "Men In Black: International". That was a commercial flop.
He did "Ghostbusters" (2016). That film did not return a profit for Sony.
Now he does "Furiosa" for Warner Bros. Tracking is looking ugly for that film.

kIdMuScLe

Oct 27, 2017
Los angeles
Outside out of Dune, KxG and Apes I don't think there's being a movie worth watching in theaters. There really hasn't being big movies this year so far.

nonoriri

Apr 30, 2020
Kinda blows my mind Memorial Day weekend is a huge movie weekend. I always associate it with being outside.

I dunno, I feel like this is the time where I most rarely go to the movies. In winter, you can hang out in a big warm space for a bit and in summer you can escape the heat. Now it's too nice to go to the movies unless it rains.

Also as a Fury Road fan, I wasn't exactly chomping at the bit to see the movie. I was planning on holding back and hearing opinions first.

Aug 17, 2022
I've seen it and it's really not great. It's totally fine, but Fury Road was a landmark achievement in cinema. Furiosa is worse is literally every way - worse action, worse pacing, worse acting, worse story.

In fact, there is literally no point to the movie and it tells us absolutely nothing new.

You know Furiosa, the awesome fucking badass who rescued these women and liberated the Citadel in Fury Road, with the help of a vagabond road warrior? The one who came from the Green Place, taken as a child? The one who had to combat and escape enemies of Gas Town and Bullet Farm? All that information you learned in a tight 2 hours in Fury Road, played by a pitch-perfect Charlize Theron, accompanied by the greatest action sequences ever created.

In Furiosa, you learn nothing new about that story. Except Chris Hemsworth is around as a one-note villain, ranting and being cartoonishly over the top trying to be funny. Anya-Taylor Joy quite literally just stares in silence for the vast majority of the time she is on screen, and very occasionally shoots a gun. She says like five things. And they take 2.5 hours to tell that not-new story.

Nov 11, 2017
I've seen it and it's really not great. It's totally fine, but Fury Road was a landmark achievement in cinemas. Furiosa is worse is literally every way - worse action, worse pacing, worse acting, worse story.

In fact, there is literally no point to the movie and it tells us absolutely nothing new.

You know Furiosa, the awesome fucking badass who rescued these women and liberated the Citadel in Fury Road, with the help of a vagabond road warrior? The one who came from the Green Place, taken as a child? The one who had to combat and escape enemies of Gas Town and Bullet Farm? All that information you learned in a tight 2 hours in Fury Road, played by a pitch-perfect Charlize Theron, accompanied by the greatest action sequences ever created.

In Furiosa, you learn literally nothing new about that story. Except Chris Hemsworth is around, ranting and being cartoonishly over the top trying to be funny. Anya-Taylor Joy stares in silence for the vast majority of the time she is on screen, and very occasionally shoots. She says like five things. And they take 2.5 hours to tell that not-new story.
Reviews and audience scores are great so unless you've personally passed this message to every potential movie goer, it was nothing to do with the quality of the film.

That early marketing certainly did not help though…

Aug 17, 2022
Reviews and audience scores are great so unless you've personally passed this message to every potential movie goer, it was nothing to do with the quality of the film.

That early marketing certainly did not help though…

Yeah, to be clear I don't think the initial box office would be affected by the quality or reviews off the bat, it was just a factor that I don't think will improve its run after opening weekend.

May 24, 2019
I've seen it and it's really not great. It's totally fine, but Fury Road was a landmark achievement in cinema. Furiosa is worse is literally every way - worse action, worse pacing, worse acting, worse story.

In Furiosa, you learn nothing new about that story. Except Chris Hemsworth is around as a one-note villain, ranting and being cartoonishly over the top trying to be funny. Anya-Taylor Joy quite literally just stares in silence for the vast majority of the time she is on screen, and very occasionally shoots a gun. She says like five things. And they take 2.5 hours to tell that not-new story.
It introduces pissboys.

JetmanJay

Nov 1, 2017
Broke and drowning in stuff to watch at home.

Truly. Doesn't help this will be on streaming in 3 weeks. There are fewer reasons to go to the theatre than ever

I just don't wanna pay $25 bucks for a movie and a drink anymore. Also the fact theaters are normally more distracting to me then my home with headphones on. I hear a text notification, popcorn bags crinkling or the guy who thinks he's funny commentary at every scene and I just kind of want to be anywhere else.

edit: I will be getting dragged to Beetlejuice 2 whenever that releases.

All of these for me and from what it looks like , many many many more audiences…
Theaters in trouble - shoulda let Movie Pass thrive 🤷‍♂️

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I haven't seen a single ad for it. Because I don't watch ads anymore. Advertisement amongst younger generations is effectively dead if you can't reach them where they are. Where they are is, I don't want ads.

Additionally, everything is too expensive to do anymore for most normal people.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
I'm excited to see it, but I'll just grab the 4K disc in a few months and watch on the big OLED.

Far, far cheaper too.

Dangnabbit!

Still want to see it eventually…

Pachinko

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I probably can't watch it for a few days but I will , the important thing about a movie like this is that it exists at all. I'm amazed it does given fury road made about 5% what it deserved given its high quality.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Chris Hemsworth doesn't have much box office success with films that aren't linked to Marvel/Thor.

He did "Men In Black: International". That was a commercial flop.
He did "Ghostbusters" (2016). That film did not return a profit for Sony.
Now he does "Furiosa" for Warner Bros. Tracking is looking ugly for that film.

To be fair MiB wasn't crazy or anything but it was a completely "fine" film, not sure why it bombed so hard.

Furiosa will be a cult classic I guess.

loco

Jan 6, 2021
Ain't got money for that shit I'm at home haha

I didn't know this movie existed but tbh I feel like I have gotten everything out of the Mad Max world that I need, I don't feel like I need more personally. I'm sure it's very well done, but so are lots of movies. To me this is a good one to catch at home if I'm ever really interested in more Mad Max, it's not something I would pay a premium to see.
Totally understand and if it wasn't for this forum I wouldn't have known about it either.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I'm excited to see it, but I'll just grab the 4K disc in a few months and watch on the big OLED.

Far, far cheaper too.

Dangnabbit!

I thought the film was good.

That's like saying no SW film reaches Empire or ROTS, like sure, doesn't mean you can't enjoy them.

Aug 17, 2022

Far, far cheaper too.

Dangnabbit!

I'm sorry, that's just me and I know a lot of people loved it, so please judge for yourself. I still support this type of project, and it was by no means bad, but there's about 50 other stories I would want to be told in this universe, and they chose to just rehash one we already knew.

The Quentulated Mox

Corrupted by Vengeance
Jun 10, 2022
what's a bummer is that, according to wikiped, Fury Road made like $55 million in DVD sales alone. it's crazy how much the media landscape has changed since then, the home video long tail is completely dead, all that's left is streaming views which is utterly meaningless and will never be able to sway a studio to greenlight a theatrical sequel

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, nearly every reaction in this thread was exactly what I thought of when other big ip movies/movies this forum and similar bubbles kept dunking on.

When many of you were so insistent that they just need to "make good movies and people would come". Even when the Mario Movie irked a bunch of you.

You were all actually saying "make what I like, and it'll make money. My tastes are the general audiences' tastes". Despite art being fucking subjective, this, television, gaming and similar media have an obsession with all people having the same opinion that's "correct". And that's conveniently the same as theirs.

And then, like clockwork, the second a movie that aligns with that doesn't break out, I knew what would be coming: Getting pissed at the general audiences who are less invested in the medium. Talking about how stupid they are for not sharing the same interest and opinion as you. Finding every excuse that maybe could have prevented others from being on the correct path.

The truth is this: A film's "quality" has 0 to do with it making money. It's whether it can properly attract even people who are not as invested in the medium as others. Dune Part Two was able to properly do this. So don't start this BS that people are idiots. The film didn't win over enough non-enthusists. It's that simple. It stings sometimes. There's things I like that I also wish would make enough to keep justifying it. But it's the truth.

Here's the other fact: The real difference at the end of the day is the exact problem also plaguing gaming. Enthusiasts like here and creators kept wanting bigger and better, and each project required more non-enthusists to support not only the films, but the theater environment to keep up with constant demands. In the 70s, 80s and 90s, film, tv and games did not require as much and could rely way better on enthusiasts than non-enthusists. That's not the case now, and now every time something a bunch of people here like fails, they get pissed off people less invested in the medium didn't just do what they wanted.

But whatever. I know people here are mainly reading the title, coming in to vent and yell into the void about how society failed. Or blame streaming. Or blame something. I shouldn't be bothering to write all this.

I'm just typing this for myself at this point: Everyone is going to magically forget all of this the next time a big ip movie that doesn't appeal specifically to them fails. And then they will keep talking about how studios just need to "make good films". And more original and experimental. Budget talk will come up again, which conveniently I don't see mentioned when it's regarding a movie that appeals to a bunch of people. And they'll keep saying it until the next "good" movie fails and it'll reflect this thread again.
dUzura6.jpg

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
Kinda blows my mind Memorial Day weekend is a huge movie weekend. I always associate it with being outside.

I dunno, I feel like this is the time where I most rarely go to the movies. In winter, you can hang out in a big warm space for a bit and in summer you can escape the heat. Now it's too nice to go to the movies unless it rains.

Also as a Fury Road fan, I wasn't exactly chomping at the bit to see the movie. I was planning on holding back and hearing opinions first.
It's considered the official start of the Summer movie season.

Blent

Oct 26, 2017
East Midlands, England, UK
If I am going to spend money, time and effort to go to the cinema, it has to be something that really appeals when I have so many other forms of entertainment available to me in my limited free time.

An unappealing looking prequel to a film I hadn't watched because it looked completely unappealing to me, based on a franchise from the 80s that I've never seen? Why would I ever care?

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
If I am going to spend money, time and effort to go to the cinema, it has to be something that really appeals when I have so many other forms of entertainment available to me in my limited free time.

An unappealing looking prequel to a film I hadn't watched because it looked completely unappealing to me, based on a franchise from the 80s that I've never seen? Why would I ever care?

I mean if you couldn't be bothered to even try "at home" the other ones then ... What ? Should they just not make films that don't appeal to your tastes ... ?

MarcelloF

"This guy are sick"
Dec 9, 2020
I already watched Fall Guy and Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes this month, so another movie is too much for me.

Blent

Oct 26, 2017
East Midlands, England, UK
I mean if you couldn't be bothered to even try "at home" the other ones then ... What ? Should they just not make films that don't appeal to your tastes ... ?
Of course not. But it's baffling to me that the lack of success for this film and a lot of films generally in 2024 seems to surprise so many people on Era when what's true for me will be true for loads like me.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017

Why even share this?

You literally just posted, "why should this thing that doesn't appeal to me exist?". Like....ok?

It's a well reviewed prequel to a critically acclaimed movie that was literally hailed as being an action movie work of art and touchstone for the genre.

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017

If Fury Road looked unappealing to you then I can't possibly imagine what does look appealing to you lol

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If Fury Road looked unappealing to you then I can't possibly imagine what does look appealing to you lol
I can't speak for this person but as someone who finds Fury Road unappealing (but has seen it three times), I find many things appealing. What's unappealing about FR to me is that it's an action movie, and I find action scenes in movies to be really boring. Two of my favorite genres that I will go out of my way to see in theaters (horror and Oscar bait) have little to no action in them and the third favorite genre has action scenes to its detriment (superhero stuff).

There are many movies without action scenes! Specifically car chases which imo are the worst kind of action scenes.

KingFrost92

Oct 26, 2017
Oregon
Outside out of Dune, KxG and Apes I don't think there's being a movie worth watching in theaters. There really hasn't being big movies this year so far.

Yeah, I get it. I think it's a shame that Challengers had such odd marketing, because that was the best theater experience I've had in years watching it in Imax. Absolutely electrifying - and the trailers would not have you think that.

-

Separate from all the hubbub here, I've found going back to the movies to be more pleasurable from a purely nostalgic viewpoint - so I'm not surprised that people who are younger than 30 are pretty content not going and box office numbers for anything not super widely focused aren't jumping up anymore. I am excited to see Furiosa, if only because it'll be 2 1/2 hours in a cozy recliner seat with some nice snacks and in a place where I can watch a movie without my partner watching distracting Tiktoks next to me - we have very different viewing habits and I love to get immersed in the movie experience.

Aug 17, 2022
An unappealing looking prequel to a film I hadn't watched because it looked completely unappealing to me

I'll chime in and say that I was never a Mad Max fan, and the trailers 2015 for Fury Road were like meh, this probably won't be good.

I have never been so happy to be proven wrong. It's a cinematic masterpiece and deserves every ounce of praise it gets and more. Just watch it.

Furiosa is a totally different thing and perfectly mid and unnecessary. That should not put you off from watching Fury Road.

Chirotera

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I want to see this so badly, but my budget is too tight for it. I'll check it out when it comes to some platform or other.

doops.

Jun 3, 2020
I wanna go see it but I need to get some ear protection first. I sense this is a particularly loud and boisterous movie and IMAX is way too loud in my local cinema (I get that that's mostly the point but there have been some screenings I've attended where the audio's been so loud it's clipping.)

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
The studios have trained audiences to wait a few weeks for streaming during and post pandemic. Ungentlemanly Warfare and Fall Guy hit streaming two weeks after release.

Audiences only gonna show up for the big event films like Deadpool & Wolverine from now on. There's no going back to 2019, where 9 films made $1 billion+ at the box office.

Yeah, it's crazy how fast things get released on streaming now, and the 4K discs are coming out a lot earlier than they used to as well. I used to always make it a point to see a film that I really wanted to see at the theater, and usually within the first week or two of release.

Now? With OLED, and how much larger screens we can get at home coupled with HDR, since around 2016 I'll go see a movie, and typically think "I can't wait until this hits 4K" simply because it will look better on my TV than it does on our local theater screens. I went from seeing maybe six to eight films a year at the theater to maybe two or three at most.

If you happen to live in a bigger city that has multiple theaters, and one might house a more modern projector and screen YMMV (I've been to a few that look fantastic, but our local looks mediocre).

Also the fact theaters are normally more distracting to me then my home with headphones on. I hear a text notification, popcorn bags crinkling or the guy who thinks he's funny commentary at every scene and I just kind of want to be anywhere else.

This is another problem I have with theaters. Especially if it's a big opening. Somehow, since 2015 I always get the person that brings a twelve course meal of candy, nachos and popcorn right next to me every time now, and it fucking sucks. It's non stop CRUNCH CRUNCH, and the crinkling of bags for the entire run time.