teruterubozu

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I wonder if a Fury Road 2 would have performed better. This one comes off as a Side Story which isn't as compelling for an immediate watch.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
I wonder if a Fury Road 2 would have performed better. This one comes off as a Side Story which isn't as compelling for an immediate watch.

I think that plus the subpar marketing compared to the original didn't help. The simple truth though is that whilst a lot of us consider fury road an all time classic it just didn't resonate with a wider audience.

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
Fury Road made 380 million against a budget of over 150 million.

Like even that movie wasn't some huge success.

I remember some people comparing it to Dune Part One in this thread or a different one, but Dune made more money while releasing during Covid day and date on Max.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Er didn't Kingdom of the Apes do good? We also had Kong X Zilla doing well as well. Not sure where all the doom and gloom is.
Planet of the Apes is still to be proven. If had a 160 million budget, so it needs roughly 400 million to be profitable and it's currently at 250 million and losing speed last I heard.

Dune, Godzilla, and Kung Fu Panda are really the only three movies this year to not disappoint in the box office. Which is really telling.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Echoes of Bladerunner with this. The reaction to 2049's flop felt like a bubble bursting moment, where it was assumed the legacy of the original film would carry the new one through the box office.

Viewing habits have shifted inexorably and there's nothing that can be done to win audiences back now I think. Not looking good

Still can't believe tho that Dune became a massive blockbuster success. On paper it sounds like the most offputting thing to normies everywhere, a saga about a control of the spice trade on a desert planet where people recycle piss and sweat in their suits? Yuck

May 10, 2018
I feel there's just a little too much overanalysis of the "death of cinema" just because a niche movie that a vocal minority really adore is once again not doing well. Let's face it, Mad Max just isn't that popular. Doesn't matter how good the movie is in objective quality, no entertainment is entitled to financial support and success just because it's good. If people aren't interested in a desert car battle adventure, they aren't, no matter how well made it is.

We are in a time where movies like Top Gun Maverick, Barbie, Oppenheimer, Dune Part One and Two, can all make big bucks. People will turn up to watch something they are interested in, and people are interested in action movies, biopics, comedy musicals, sci-fi epics.

Cinema isn't dead just because George Miller has yet another box office dud. Cinema isn't dead because people didn't care for a Ryan Gosling stuntman action romance movie. People just aren't interested in some things and are interested in other things.
Yep. Dune 2 was earlier this year. Hell even the Godzilla x Kong movie did very well.

Fury Road didn't light up the box office so I don't know why anyone expected Furiosa to do so.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
Yep. Dune 2 was earlier this year. Hell even the Godzilla x Kong movie did very well.

Fury Road didn't light up the box office so I don't know why anyone expected Furiosa to do so.

The issue is that the industry needs a lot more than 2 or 3 movies doing well.

The overall box office is in the dumpster, that's where "the industry is in trouble" comes from.

That said, this movie has problems beyond the systemic issues the industry is facing.

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
Even our Garfield showings weren't much better.

Our most popular movies were IF and Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes, which have been out for weeks now.

duckroll

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
The issue is that the industry needs a lot more than 2 or 3 movies doing well.

The overall box office is in the dumpster, that's where "the industry is in trouble" comes from.

That said, this movie has problems beyond the systemic issues the industry is facing.
Is this even true? For the US domestic box office the numbers from 2009 to 2019 the annual box office averaged 10-11 billion. Then it completely collapsed due to Covid before recovering. In 2022 the annual box office was 7.3 billion. In 2023 it was 8 billion. Q1 comparison between 2023 and 2024 so far is only off by 100 million.

Doesn't seem like the industry is in some drastic situation. Still making money.

Oct 31, 2017
Didn't know this movie existed or was releasing, which makes me wonder if others who only casually know about Mad Max experienced the same.

Johnzyboi

Nov 10, 2018
Yeah I don't think the performance of this has to do with the state of the Industry.

It's spinoff of a movie that did debatably barely ok. It was always going to do less than Fury Road.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
Is this even true? For the US domestic box office the numbers from 2009 to 2019 the annual box office averaged 10-11 billion. Then it completely collapsed due to Covid before recovering. In 2022 the annual box office was 7.3 billion. In 2023 it was 8 billion. Q1 comparison between 2023 and 2024 so far is only off by 100 million.

Doesn't seem like the industry is in some drastic situation. Still making money.

Is it to the point where "cinema is dead"? No! Absolutely not. But it is a serious problem as the market is built up for an 11-12 billion average, with an assumption that it would keep going up when the infrastructure was built. Now that we're seeing these changes in audiences stick, they will need to adjust.

The discussions I've seen, as I said before, are that we need a 20% reduction in overall screens and an increase in the percentage of premium format screens. That would put the industry in a better place. Less empty theaters and overhead, with more profit from premium format. Hopefully that would be enough.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I don't think the performance of this has to do with the state of the Industry.

It's spinoff of a movie that did debatably barely ok. It was always going to do less than Fury Road.

Fury Road got a ton of praise. If growth isn't possible then how do sequels to "barely ok" box office performing movies get made?

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017

I honestly thought it did really well on streaming and would garner more fans. Like Dune 2.

Panic Freak

Oct 26, 2017
The studios have trained audiences to wait a few weeks for streaming during and post pandemic. Ungentlemanly Warfare and Fall Guy hit streaming two weeks after release.

Audiences only gonna show up for the big event films like Deadpool & Wolverine from now on. There's no going back to 2019, where 9 films made $1 billion+ at the box office.
I wouldn't be surprised if Deadpool and Wolverine bombs too.

Nov 30, 2021
Was going to take my daughter to see this in IMAX because she loved Fury Road, but early reviews saying it suffers from pacing and is not close to what Fury Road was made me hold off.

Your daughter loved Fury Road - probably because of the character of Furiosa - but she doesn't get to see this one because YOU didn't like what some reviews said about pacing? Ouch

TheBee

Oct 18, 2023
Was going to take my daughter to see this in IMAX because she loved Fury Road, but early reviews saying it suffers from pacing and is not close to what Fury Road was made me hold off.

Damn, that's crazy.

The reviews are mostly very good. Doubt she'd even notice some of the 'bad' stuff they say.

May 10, 2018
As far as potential bombs go, put Twisters at the top of the list with its reported budget of $200 million. Kraven too and then likely Borderlands.

On the other end though, we got Joker 2, Smile 2, Venom 3 and Sonic 3.

Deadpool/Wolverine speaks for itself. Bad Boys 4 reportedly has the same budget as the last one. If it does similar business then it would be a success.

Quiet Place day one is a question mark since its budget seems much higher than the previous two. That could go either way.

The industry isn't what it once was but Furiosa bombing isn't the best go to example.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
Fury Road got a ton of praise. If growth isn't possible then how do sequels to "barely ok" box office performing movies get made?
Problem is this isn't a sequel. It immediately went from "watch in a theater" to "watch on streaming" for me when it was announced as a prequel. I did not come away from Fury Road wishing to know more about Furiosa's origin.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017

I've personally lost the taste for most films in theaters due to audience disruption (texting, talking, phones out etc), but I figured this was going to be worth the IMAX treatment. Bummed it is bombing, but it sounds like it is just not going to hold up against Fury Road, and word of mouth echos initial reviews of it being slow and seemingly a B movie at best. Its a shame.

I do think Deadpool is going to kill it at the box office though. We'll see.

Take your daughter and go for the matinee. I haven't had a bad experience in years.

Grzi

Oct 26, 2017
I think word of mouth gave Fury Road a boost (even if it didn't earn that much) because it was simply that good.

This movie isn't really that good, after the first act (which is amazing) it completely falls apart IMO
None of the people who watched it from my friends group enjoyed it.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
a shame because its a really good film, Chris Hemsworth was a delight to watch here

MajorB

Apr 18, 2018
Furiosa is spectacular and waiting for it to hit streaming is cringe.

That being said, I don't think the trailers really communicated what this movie was very well. It's a completely different genre from Fury Road. Furiosa plays like an epic Western about coming of age in a post-apocalyptic wasteland. If you're expecting a Fury Road-style rollercoaster again, which is what the trailers sold it as, you're going to have very mismatched expectations.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Personally just was never really interested in a young Furiosa prequel, and the look of the film in the actual marketing came off kinda 'fake' CG and strange after how gloriously tangible everything looked in Fury Road.

Fury Road itself didn't burn the box office down, so this movie doing worse 9 years later doesn't shock me.

DNgamers

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Problem is this isn't a sequel. It immediately went from "watch in a theater" to "watch on streaming" for me when it was announced as a prequel. I did not come away from Fury Road wishing to know more about Furiosa's origin.
Well Furiosa was always going to be made. Miller had both scripts ready before even shooting Fury Road but decided to make that one first because it was further into development. Both had a troubles getting off the ground for various reasons but both are massive achievements.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
its the long weekend here in the UK and my screening yesterday was quite empty too. TBF I don't remember a lot of people showing up for Fury Road either, this franchise is more of a critical darling series if anything.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

I've personally lost the taste for most films in theaters due to audience disruption (texting, talking, phones out etc), but I figured this was going to be worth the IMAX treatment. Bummed it is bombing, but it sounds like it is just not going to hold up against Fury Road, and word of mouth echos initial reviews of it being slow and seemingly a B movie at best. Its a shame.

I do think Deadpool is going to kill it at the box office though. We'll see.
Pacing is overrated and very subjective. If your daughter wants to see Furiosa, take her.

lostsupper

Oct 25, 2017
Movie theatres are over. For all the reasons already mentioned here ticket sale units will continue to fall and fall faster. Theatre chains will respond by increasing prices and closing under-performing sectors. Niche independent theatres will exist in the few urban markets that will support them for another decade or so.

There are only a few mega-chains with more than 5,000 screens. We'll see the first closure of one of these in the next two years. The ones that remain will move to drastically cut costs with large scale commercial real estate sell-offs. By this time those screens wii have only been showing increasingly poorly received tentpole films.

The moment when we all look around and say "remember movie theatres?" is right around the corner. If you like sitting in a big room with a projector and a bunch of random people go get it while you can.

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
Movie theatres are over. For all the reasons already mentioned here ticket sale units will continue to fall and fall faster. Theatre chains will respond by increasing prices and closing under-performing sectors. Niche independent theatres will exist in the few urban markets that will support them for another decade or so.

There are only a few mega-chains with more than 5,000 screens. We'll see the first closure of one of these in the next two years. The ones that remain will move to drastically cut costs with large scale commercial real estate sell-offs. By this time those screens wii have only been showing increasingly poorly received tentpole films.

The moment when we all look around and say "remember movie theatres?" is right around the corner. If you like sitting in a big room with a projector and a bunch of random people go get it while you can.

lol this is completely hyperbole. The idea movie theaters will cease to exist completely isn't happening any time soon.

Pyramid Head

Oct 27, 2017
Just got back from seeing it now, I really enjoyed it. My girlfriend and I were the only people in the theatre.
It made a refreshing change to see a movie in there without screeching kids running around but I was surprised for it to be totally empty.

Pachinko

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
If theaters want to sell more tickets they need to offer better prices , there's no reason a family pass can't exist. 2 adults and 3 kids shouldn't have to spend near 100$ to watch a movie they can see in their home in 3-4 months on one of a myriad of streaming services.

Which of course is the second issue , families or no - idunno about yall but as a guy in his early 40's now , 3-4 months goes by in the blink of an eye. Unless you have a dire need to see a movie on the largest screen possible it's nothing to wait for a home release with how fast these things end up on streamers.

So , start offering date night/family night deals that save 20-50$ to encourage people to head out , keep the auditorium well calibrated and clean and offer loyalty rewards for single movie goers without a paid subscription.

Then from the studios - keep a film theater only for 4-6 months , sell a premium digital copy for 60 days , then a regular priced digital/physical release and only after a full year even think about adding it to a streaming service.

I also don't feel that Furiosa doing worse than expected is an immediate sign of disaster , this is an R rated niche action film coming nearly a decade after Fury road so I'd wager only the diehard fans are heading out which is indeed a shame. I want to go see it but need to make time for it , maybe it'll be tomorrow ? Idunno.

I suspect Deadpool 3 will be a big hit for a weekend at least and it'll "save the summer" but what else is there audiences are excited for this year really ?