• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
deadline.com

Johnny Depp Says Cancel Culture Is “So Far Out Of Hand” & “No One Is Safe”, Asks People To “Stand Up” Against “Injustice” – San Sebastian

Actor tells people to "stand up" against "injustice" during event at San Sebastian Film Festival.
Johnny Depp went on the record today saying that he is a victim of cancel culture and that "no one is safe" from the movement, calling on people to "stand up" for people facing "injustice".

"It can be seen as an event in history that lasted for however long it lasted, this cancel culture, this instant rush to judgement based on what essentially amounts to polluted air," he commented ahead of receiving the honorary Donostia Award at this year's San Sebastian Film Festival.

"It's so far out of hand now that I can promise you that no one is safe. Not one of you. No one out that door. No one is safe," he continued. "It takes one sentence and there's no more ground, the carpet has been pulled. It's not just me that this has happened to, it's happened to a lot of people. This type of thing has happened to women, men. Sadly at a certain point they begin to think that it's normal. Or that it's them. When it's not."
Depp was fairly low-energy during today's press conference but seemed willing to engage with attending journalists, clapping everyone in the room when he arrived, and didn't appear to have an issue with addressing sensitive topics, which tend to dog the actor at this stage in his career.

The festival, however, was having none of it. The next question from press addressed the criticism of the fest for handing Depp a Donostia, particularly from Spain's Association of Female Filmmakers and Audiovisual Media, which released a statement saying the award "transmits a terrible message to the public".

Before Depp could open his mouth in response, the host of the conference rejected the question out of hand and told press in the room to stick to questions about the actor's career.

Depp later admitted that he was "worried" that his presence at the festival this year "would offend people" and that he "didn't want to offend anyone". He praised the event, its director Jose Luis Rebordinos, and the mayor of San Sebastian for their "undying support" and for "not buying what has been, for far too long, some notion of me that doesn't exist".

"I haven't done anything, I just make movies," Depp added.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
More like Johnny Deppends if he's gonna piss himself like a baby over "cancel culture"

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is this in reference to being abused by his wife and then he got removed from some work? Because I remember there was some shit about that.

Or is that an incorrect summary? Did something new come out about him?

Hagi

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't say he's entirely wrong in his feelings even if I still think cancel culture is a lot of shit. The difference in how he has been treated compared to Heard is something you can't deny.

That said yeah he's at an event accepting an award for his acting so queue calling him a clown etc

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Is this in reference to being abused by his wife and then he got removed from some work? Because I remember there was some shit about that.

Disney rebooted pirates without him and WB fired him from Fantastic beasts

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Meanwhile his abuser is still having a career and is being defended by wb

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
I'd love to hear what their specific examples of CANCEL CULTURE (TM) is.

If Harvey Weinstein wasn't charged, I have no doubt he'd be saying he was cancelled.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Referring to it as cancel culture rather than the consequences for your own actions is dismissing the idea that most people facing cancel culture are deserving of it. If he wants to lump himself in with those people, then that's fine. That's just gonna make things worse for him though, which is unfortunate, because I thought Amber Heard was the one in wrong here?

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Referring to it as cancel culture rather than the consequences for your own actions is dismissing the idea that most people facing cancel culture are deserving of it. If he wants to lump himself in with those people, then that's fine. That's just gonna make things worse for him though, which is unfortunate, because I thought Amber Heard was the one in wrong here?
It seems that she was, yet her career does not seem to have been impacted whereas Depp has lost roles. Hence his opinion on the matter.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
Isn't Depp like the one celeb who can complain about cancel culture since he was unjustly accused and never really got justice?

Jun 20, 2021
To quote Bo Burnham - "straight white men used to have all the power and now we still do but it's not as fun anymore!"

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
If there was anyone who can criticize people jumping the gun before knowing the facts, it's him. It'd probably been better tho if he didn't mention "cancel culture" since it's usually used by people who are actually guilty.
To quote Bo Burnham - "straight white men used to have all the power and now we still do but it's not as fun anymore!"
Except in his situation it was his gf that was the asshole, and he get fucked despite being the victim here.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
I mean strictly speaking wasn't he cancelled for a little while and got kicked from a bunch of projects before it came to light that Amber Heard is a fucking monster?

I can see why he'd be embittered about it. Still seems a bit daff to go off about it while you're accepting a lifetime achievement award.

Tathanen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I mean his specific circumstances lend some credibility to what's usually an absurd claim.

May 26, 2018
If there was anyone who can criticize people jumping the gun before knowing the facts, it's him. It'd probably been better if he didn't mention "cancel culture" since it's usually used by people who are actually guilty.

Yes, please someone tell him about this. There's a better way to describe what has happened to him.

Pirateluigi

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, he was absolutely screwed by what happened to him. Cancel culture still isn't a real thing, but he's got some very legitimate gripes.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
I mean if he is talking about getting dumped from projects because of Amber, I kinda agree, but the better phrasing here would be "I was shunned from the industry" rather than cancel culture.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If there was anyone who can criticize people jumping the gun before knowing the facts, it's him. It'd probably been better if he didn't mention "cancel culture" since it's usually used by people who are actually guilty.

Except in his situation it was his gf that was the asshole, and get fucked despite being the victim here.
Yeah, basically this.

Supercrap

Oct 28, 2017
Oakland Bay Area

not just his case but alot of the comments about cancel culture are imo about how alot of times people have rushed to cancel without a full investigation (which seemed to happen alot in the beginning of metoo) Johnny himself got hit with it where it turns out that he was in a toxic relationship where both parties involved.

I think most agree that people should be help accountable , but we shouldnt always rush to choose sides and cancel

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
Might be easier to sympathize if he'd give some examples of what he thinks are people who've been unfairly canceled.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
My eyebrows are raised at some of these responses. He's like the poster child of the ugly side of cancelling. Does it do more good than harm? Of course. But how do we handle the people caught in the crossfire? This is something our society really hasn't had a answer for. Posters here seem very happy to wave him away as an unfortunate statistic ala ends justify the means and all that.

Oct 26, 2017

No, that's about right. Amber Heard is a horrifyingly manipulative, abusive piece of shit and virtually everyone who interacted with them when they were together seems to back that up. Johnny Depp's case is a good example of one of the few times the mob got it wrong, and it's interesting/terrifying watching normally righteous people sticking to their guns long after they were proven wrong about the situation.

Dr Doom

Oct 25, 2017
i mean remember that ERA thread where almost everyone piled on him then when the Amber came out. No one wanted to visit that thread and own up.

Daverytimes

Oct 25, 2017
He is right, his asshole girlfriend has a career but his has been torpedoed by the claims of a narcissistic and abusive spouse. He has every right to say this.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
He's correct about losing some work. But relying on this phrase to explain what's happening to him is quite foolish. There are so many negative connotations to saying "I've been canceled!" The least of which being, it's not true. He had a movie released earlier this year, he's getting a lifetime achievement award at this very event, and he's gonna land on his feet and get more offers once things calm down, they always do.

All that said, yeah he's not wrong about losing out on some large projects because of this, while Heard continues to skate by. I understand his frustration.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Disney rebooted pirates without him and WB fired him from Fantastic beasts
Yeah that happened but is he saying this because someone decided he had done wrong or did he actually do shit himself that led to "being cancelled"?

Because yes that can happen but "cancel culture" has exclusively meant "wealthy person faces consequences for actions for the first time" and I'm not sure what context it's being used in here. Otherwise it's "famous person embroiled in controversy, corporations employing him back off because said controversy."

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah that happened but is he saying this because someone decided he had done wrong or did he actually do shit himself that led to "being cancelled"?

Because yes that can happen but "cancel culture" has exclusively meant "wealthy person faces consequences for actions for the first time" and I'm not sure what context it's being used in here. Otherwise it's "famous person embroiled in controversy, corporations employing him back off because said controversy."

i would agree, but Heard didnt suffer any concequence and she was in the same said controversy.

if both of them where abusers, why is he the only one getting fired from projects?

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
My eyebrows are raised at some of these responses. He's like the poster child of the ugly side of cancelling. Does it do more good than harm? Of course. But how do we handle the people caught in the crossfire? This is something our society really hasn't had a answer for. Posters here seem very happy to wave him away as an unfortunate statistic ala ends justify the means and all that.
I'm going to add a further complication onto this.

The level of success he had after being cancelled is most likely greater than the level of success others have before being cancelled.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Imagine going through all this stuff and then people call you a baby when you complain about it

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I know Amber Heard was abusive also but I don't feel like that makes him a complete victim, he did shitty things too and the context of her behaviour really doesn't exonerate him as much as make them both toxic shitbags.

As for her career not being affected the way his was, she is young and both attractive and the good kind of bi that is loved by cis straight white men, a demographic that has never for multiple reasons been the biggest fan of Depp, so in the end it kind of reinforces how much the status quo is the same more than being some great cultural shift.

Edit: by "good kind of bi" I don't actually mean it's good (or bad) I mean that cis straight men and alt righters love a pretty girl that will get it on with a girl and still fuck men. In those people's mind she is "the good kind". I dont want people thinking I mean there is a good or bad way to be bisexual, it just is.

Last edited:

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah not really sure how to feel about this given the abuse he had from Amber Heard. I am not good in these topics due to my own experience as a male child with a much older teenage girl so I'll just say people should be careful what they post and say about female on male violence as it is very rarely taken seriously and even things people play off as jokes are damaging.

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
I still have no idea why he was dropped from all projects, meanwhile one of the same studio(WB) still employs Amber Heard

Status
Not open for further replies.