• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
A sequel is all but confirmed at this point.
Don't know if I post here or on Etc so mods just move it in case I chose the wrong one
deadline.com

Sony Chief Tom Rothman Celebrates “New Hit Movie Franchise” As ‘Uncharted’ Hits Box Office Milestone

Sony Boss Tom Rothman sends email to staff celebrating global success of Tom Holland-Mark Wahlberg movie 'Uncharted'.
Sony's $106.4M global box office weekend for Uncharted was another reminder to a streaming-obsessed entertainment industry that the tried-and-true business model of theatrical features still works, and that there's an audience for them.

Sony Pictures Motion Picture Group Chairman and CEO Tom Rothman underscored this in a company-wide email today following the success of the Ruben Fleischer directed, Tom Holland-Mark Wahlberg-starring movie this past weekend, and extolled staffers for delivering a blockbuster hit.

Rather than sell the $120M production off out of financial desperation during the pandemic, Sony believed in the event movie, protected it and waited for the proper time to release it.
The box office results from such actions? Uncharted was suppose to do $30M over four days at the domestic box office; it wound up doing $51M, sending its current worldwide take to $139M. Key words in Rothman's note below, is that he's already declared Uncharted "a new hit movie franchise." When we spoke to Fleischer, he was hopeful about a sequel.
Here's Rothman's memo:

Dear Colleagues,

It is Presidents Day in America, but we are open in most places around the world today and we have another global triumph to celebrate.

With over $100M in box office worldwide in just one weekend, and a 90% positive audience score on Rotten Tomatoes, Uncharted is a new hit movie franchise for the company.

This marks a great victory for every single division of the company, as the film was our first major production entirely shut down by the advent of Covid, yet we persevered to complete a picture the audience loves and marketed and distributed it with strategic verve worldwide, despite the pandemic.

The ensuing impact is proof once again of the unmatched cultural power of real movies. On the heels of Venom: Let There Be Carnage, Ghostbusters: Afterlife, and Spider-Man: No Way Home, Uncharted is yet another blow to the theatrical naysayers and further proof of the efficacy of our model.

I want to thank all of the filmmakers, the wonderful cast and crew, and especially our friends at PlayStation Studios and Sony Interactive Entertainment for their support. And of course, I want to thank each and every one of you for your creativity, dedication and belief.

Excelsior!
Tom

ParzivalJoker

Jan 15, 2022
I honestly don't see why Deadline in particular is always so negative when it comes to streaming. Yeah, theaters are cool, but streaming for me is just so much better, and great things can come from it too. Everyone going to streaming is just an inevitability, and COVID accelerated that.

Oct 30, 2017
Your Imagination
Because the only reason he still has a job right now is Spider-Man: NWH.
The flaming cheek of this guy.

Especially when he goes on about the "efficacy of the model" when it's literally a soft-reboot, an adaptation of a video game and two Marvel properties; one they made which was trash and the other which was made in part by Marvel and very good. Like….you're hardly making high art here.

Aiqops

Aug 3, 2021
I mean it can only improve from here right? Can't get any worse than a mediocore adventure movie with the name uncharted slapped on it this first one was.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Holland sounding like he's wanting to withdraw from the public eye for a while and Sony is lining up two major franchises he needs to headline. Felt like he was expecting this to bomb and he only had to show up for acouple more Marvel gigs. Whoops.

Well hopefully he gets to do something that fulfills him instead of burning out on this stuff.

Fabs

Aug 22, 2019
Morbius willl likely bring all this back to earth. But then again Venom was horrible and people still went

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Cool, good pilot movie to get them confident enough to spend the big bucks. Similar to Jumanji reboot.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Horizon better be serialized as a show on HBO or Netflix.

I will lose it if they make it a movie.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Sony Pictures seems to be doing pretty well financially lately, haven't they? Seems like it to me.

egg

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Now do a movie set in the world of Horizon pre apocalypse with Elisabet and then a series with Aloy and Talanah.
Then do a 8 episode series in the world of inFAMOUS where someone discovers they have powers.
After that do a Resistance horror movie.
Then a sackboy animated film for the kid.
and a Gravity Rush anime.

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
Can we get a Sly Cooper Movie? maybe the one that was announced or a short film before the next Uncharted or anything.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Holland sounding like he's wanting to withdraw from the public eye for a while and Sony is lining up two major franchises he needs to headline. Felt like he was expecting this to bomb and he only had to show up for acouple more Marvel gigs. Whoops.

Well hopefully he gets to do something that fulfills him instead of burning out on this stuff.
Maybe the bigger and bigger paychecks he'll be getting will help make the work easier to tolerate.

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
hear me out sony:
Zendaya as Elena, Statham or Bautista as Cutter, Helen Mirren as Katherine.
2 Billion box office right here.

Elena choice is bad. Elena needs to be someone who isn't drop dead gorgeous. Though knowing Hollywood, they will probably cast Scarlett Johansson and give her baggy clothes and glasses.

Also LOL @ casting the people Naughty Dog straight up ripped off when they created those characters in the first place.

Phantom_Snake

The Fallen
Jul 26, 2018
Montana

Yeah he said he wants a break after this Apple show he's finishing up. I wonder what that means for actors? Cause he can disappear for the whole 2nd half of 2022 and jump into filming the next Spider-Man in January and it could release for July 2024 and the public would be none the wiser that he took a half year off of working, minus phone calls and some meetings I'm sure.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Can we get a Sly Cooper Movie? maybe the one that was announced or a short film before the next Uncharted or anything.
Damn, I forgot about the Sly Cooper movie. I was looking forward to it, hoping it would help bring back the series in the spotlight. I love these games so much 😭

OP
OP
Uzupedro

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
Elena choice is bad. Elena needs to be someone who isn't drop dead gorgeous. Though knowing Hollywood, they will probably cast Scarlett Johansson and give her baggy clothes and glasses.
Wahlberg Is Sully, I don't think they care much in following the games during cast decisions, besides, she's great and has chemistry with Tom so why not.
Also LOL @ casting the people Naughty Dog straight up ripped off when they created those characters in the first place
That's the joke :(

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Agreed. Think with a decent budget it could be as big as Game of Thrones. Make Jennifer Lawrence Aloy.

A big budget Horizon show on Netflix/HBO would be amazing. Lawrence could do a decent job as Aloy as well.

People who don't play games deserve to experience this world and story. And proper justice to the story can't be done in a 2 hour movie format.

WetWaffle

Oct 25, 2017
Because the only reason he still has a job right now is Spider-Man: NWH.
Correct me if I'm wrong but hasn't he done a good job all things considered? Under him, Sony Pictures has revived 3 franchises(Ghostbusters, Bad Boys, Jumanji) , the SSU is working out pretty well so far(of course Morbius could send it crashing down). Sony Pictures was one of the studios least affected by covid and made fairly consistent profit by making deals selling movies with streaming services. Sony Pictures Animations is more well known than ever with critically acclaimed , award winning movies. The Spider-man deal. PlayStation Productions might actually be a hit with Uncharted and soon TLOU HBO etc

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Maybe the bigger and bigger paychecks he'll be getting will help make the work easier to tolerate.
If money was the thing, he wouldn't be talking about backing off.

His last two attempts at taking more dramatic roles were on projects that were mixed or outright lambasted. Dude says he wants to do work that isn't just studio stuff, but Sony/Marvel have locked him in. Like he sounded really excited for FFH, but that was also kind of a potential out for them to say farewell to Spider-Man in the MCU (and him). Now he's going into a new set of movies without any of his supporting cast. Not to say "Holland miserable on SM4" but that's one franchise commitment every 2-3 years. Multiple is exhausting. Especially when he was sounding like he wasn't proud about how Uncharted went down

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
Wahlberg Is Sully, I don't think they care much in following the games during cast decisions, besides, she's great and has chemistry with Tom so why not.

Sully is 56 in Uncharted 1 and Mark Wahlburg is 50. He's actually playing his age for once. Elena needs to look like an average person, not a Hollywood bombshell.