• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
developed by Access Games and originally published by Marvelous, Hidetaka Suehiro (SWERY)'s survival horror/totally-not-Twin-Peaks-inspired game is 10 years old today.
work on the game began all the way back in 2004, when it was originally titled Rainy Woods. a trailer was released in 2007 announcing the game for PS2 and Xbox 360. soon after, Rainy Woods was cancelled, and later rebooted as Deadly Premonition.

RELEASE HISTORY

February 23rd, 2010: the game is published in NA by Ignition Entertainment for the Xbox 360
182728-deadly-premoniaoj8h.jpg

March 11th, 2010: the game is published in Japan by Marvelous for PS3/Xbox 360 under the title of Red Seeds Profile.
91fhbq-6ol._sl1500_y9k15.jpg
91yqrjmhwkl._ac_sl1502qk8p.jpg

October 29th, 2010: the game is published in Europe by Rising Star Games for the Xbox 360
deadly-premonition-euyfkx9.jpg

April 30th, 2013: a director's cut version of the game developed by ToyBox Inc. is published by Rising Star in NA/Europe for PS3. this version has updated controls, stereoscopic 3D, updated HD visuals, PlayStation Move support, downloadable content including various pre-order bonuses, and additional scenarios written by Swery.
deadly-premonition-tenkxc.jpeg

October 29th, 2013: the director's cut version of the game is published by Rising Star Games on PC.

March 12th, 2015: the director's cut version of the game is released in Japan by Toy Box Inc. under the title of Deadly Premonition: Red Seeds Profile: Complete Edition. this version is digital-only.
main_0019_dpdc_blog_2ayjju.png

Nov 23rd, 2015: a collector's edition of the director's cut (Classified Edition) is released by NISA for the PS3. it includes a hardcover artbook, soundtrack CD, a 54-card deck inspired by the game, and a voucher for the DLC.
dep1_us_3df3k63.jpg

September 4th, 2019: the game is shadow-dropped on Switch under the title of Deadly Premonition Origins after a Nintendo Direct. this version is developed and published by Toy Box Inc. it has the gameplay improvements of the director's cut but has the story of the 360 version.
eei8qmuucaa1pt5-80111s0jx3.jpg

November and December, 2019: a physical version of the game is released for Switch, in both standard and collector versions. the physical release is published by Aksys Games in NA and Numbskull Games in Europe. all versions come with two postcards, and the collector's edition includes a set of 6 metal pin badges in a collectible case. some versions also come with a map of Greenvale.
maxresdefaultksjlb.jpg

giphy.gif
giphy.gif
giphy.gif

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
It is crazy how time flies. I loved the first game even though the gameplay was trash. It was strangely immersive even with all the jank.
Got a Switch just for 2. Will be awesome to have more Francis Morgan adventures!

Chemi_ro

Sep 6, 2019
Bay Area California
Happy Birthday to my favorite game! I can't believe it's already been 10 years already. Mazi you did a nice job covering all the releases. It's a shame most of the later ports have so many issues gameplay wise :(

I made a little video about Deadly Premonition's rise to cult status for the occasion if you guys are interested over on the DPA youtube channel

Though this video I made a few months back about why the game is more than "so bad, it's good" really encapsulates why I love the game so much

I can't wait to see what's in store for the sequel! If it's as detailed as the original I will be a happy camper. I hope they will announce a release date sometime soon.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Hopefully we get new info on DP2 to commemorate this special occasion.

I'm so fucking excited for it. After D4 and The Missing, Swery proved that Deadly Premonition wasn't the happy accident I thought it was at first. It's going to be great.

Oct 27, 2017
ezgif-3-5c38b856a6dddsjdq.gif

have you been playing anything else on it?
Yeah I am replaying through Call of Juarez Gunslinger right now. I love this game and having it on the go for quick arcade fun is awesome.

I have also got the following:
-Doom 1 and 2
-Stardew Valley
-Baldur's Gate collection
-Turok (Everybody who liked Doom 4 should play this)
-Mario Odyssey
-Zelda Breath of the Wild
-Hyrule Warriors (I love it a lot. One of the best Dynasty Warriors ever)
-Mario Kart 8 (came with the switch)
-Planescape: Torment/Icewind Dale collection
-Star Wars Jedi Knight 2
-Skyrim

I plan to get Resident Evil 4 some day (I replayed it on PS4 just recently so I will wait a bit until a sale. I also want to get Okami, Astral Chain and some other exclusives I missed.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I am replaying through Call of Juarez Gunslinger right now. I love this game and having it on the go for quick arcade fun is awesome.

I have also got the following:
-Doom 1 and 2
-Stardew Valley
-Baldur's Gate collection
-Turok (Everybody who liked Doom 4 should play this)
-Mario Odyssey
-Zelda Breath of the Wild
-Hyrule Warriors (I love it a lot. One of the best Dynasty Warriors ever)
-Mario Kart 8 (came with the switch)
-Planescape: Torment/Icewind Dale collection
-Star Wars Jedi Knight 2
-Skyrim

I plan to get Resident Evil 4 some day (I replayed it on PS4 just recently so I will wait a bit until a sale. I also want to get Okami, Astral Chain and some other exclusives I missed.
damn, that's already a nice collection.

Animus

Oct 30, 2017
Ukraine
The first game in my life that I literally coudn't play. Watched the story on youtube and yeah, it's very good, one of the best!

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks!

I am going to wait a bit before expanding it. I gotta finish some of these games before I make the same mistake of building another backlog like the past consoles I had.

Deadly Premonition 2 though, that's a game I will get day one regardless.
you should play botw when you get the chance, it's pretty good.

Chemi_ro

Sep 6, 2019
Bay Area California
what's your favorite version of the game?
also looking forward to the podcast you were talking about on twitter :)

My favorite version to play is actually the PC port since it works decently on my PC with minimal crashes and a steady 60fps and it allows me to load up multiple saves which is great when I need to record footage...but since everyone's mileage will vary I find it hard to recommend so I usually say play the Switch port, just makes sure to ABS (Always be Saving) given the random crashes or the original 360 release on Xbox One since it runs really well on there :)

The podcast is up on youtube so far! Still waiting for approval from itunes, google play, and spotify at the moment. Hopefully that will happen in the next day or so.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
Playing through it on Switch and I never got to finish it before but I remember liking it. It's a fantastic game with strangely fun gameplay even though it looks cheap. The menu's have some horrible sound design though. I hope they don't go for that kind of sound design in the sequel but it will be a day one purchase for sure.

Catvoca

Oct 25, 2017
I played this last year and absolutely loved it. The "so bad it's good" description completely undersells the game. It's legitimately great, no qualifiers needed.

I'd recommend this lets play if anyone is interested in watching a playthrough of the game. She captures literally everything in the game down to the smallest conversations between characters, and it really illuminates just how much attention to detail Deadly Premonition has.

Akumatica

Oct 25, 2017
I finally sat down and played through it all the way for the 1st time earlier this month. I ended up enjoying it quite a bit with a few caveats-
-The map in this game is awful, you can't zoom out to see the entire thing and it's oriented to the way you're facing.
-The way substories work and how you activate was obtuse.
-The sound design is grating. I played the PS3 version so I don't know if it's better on other systems.

The characters, writing and little details were great though.

cofias

Oct 30, 2017
Game is amazing but unfortunately let down by the abysmal PC port which crashes constantly, especially since you can't save whenever you want. Especially painful when you try to replay episodes to do missed side quests like I did. Still loved it though and I am extremely excited for 2.

RadioHeadAche

Oct 26, 2017
I imported Red Seeds Profile for PS3 not long before Twin Peaks dropped on Netflix. I had to use a guide to do all the quests, but I absolutely loved it. I did not expect to enjoy it as much as I did.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm currently playing through this game for the first time. Got the Switch version.

Ngl, the gameplay is kinda difficult to put up with, but I'm totally charmed by its bizarre world and cast. I'm just eager for the plot to start revving up the crazy.

I also didn't know there was a "clothes get dirty mechanic." Seeing flies and gnats swarm around Morgan during serious, real-time cutscenes with everyone acting like that was normal was great lmao.

Thoughts and rambles aside, I drew fanart for it a few weeks ago.

e644441d338036423e253b5edd31a236cdcd5c66.jpg

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
I like Deadly Premonition, in the same way I like The Room, or Troll 2.

It's a terrible, terrible game. But the sum of it's parts also amount to something improbably charming and memorable.

It's a shame most of the later ports have so many issues gameplay wise :(

So in other words, they are faithful ports, haha.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
www.thexboxhub.com

Looking Back to 2010 and the Lynchian Weirdness of Deadly Premonition | TheXboxHub

Deadly Premonition plays out in the now traditional third person, over the shoulder camera view that has become de rigueur for survival horror games. The graphics, even back in the day, weren't the stand-out feature of the game though. They had a certain muddy quality, a low-res look that, while...
it.ign.com

10 anni di Deadly Premonition e la pioggia nei boschi di Greenvale non accenna a smettere

Uno degli horror più controversi di sempre spegne dieci candeline.
www.ppe.pl

Deadly Premonition skończyło dzisiaj 10 lat

Deadly Premonition kończy dzisiaj 10 lat! To fakt, o którym warto wspomnieć, bo gra zapisała się w historii jako jedna z najdziwniejszych gier w jakie możemy zagrać.

Last edited:

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's hard to explain but Deadly Premonition was the closest we had to Shenmue's feel last gen, not for theme but the pacing and somehow making mundane tasks enjoyable.

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Would never have known about this game if it weren't for the GiantBomb endurance run.

Deleted member 41651

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 3, 2018
Played like shit sometimes but that game really nourished my hunger for the whole Twin Peaks vibe back then which Alan Wake didn't really pull off that great.

My Cow Phelps

Oct 25, 2017
Deadly Premonition, Nier and Alpha Protocol. Only time will tell which was the most underrated janky game released in 2010.

For me its DP. One of my favorite games of all time.

Eblo

Oct 25, 2017
I had a lot of laughs along the way, but then I started losing my goddamn mind when I realized how genius the writing was.

The scene at 3:33 is one of my favorites. York's genuine look of offense at Emily's rebuke is priceless. Don't watch further scenes in this video if you don't want spoilers.

Zeta Ori

Oct 25, 2017
NY
Nice, I'm currently on a hard mode playthrough for the final achievement in the Xbox 360 version. I have to finish it today now.

Chemi_ro

Sep 6, 2019
Bay Area California
I played this last year and absolutely loved it. The "so bad it's good" description completely undersells the game. It's legitimately great, no qualifiers needed.

I'd recommend this lets play if anyone is interested in watching a playthrough of the game. She captures literally everything in the game down to the smallest conversations between characters, and it really illuminates just how much attention to detail Deadly Premonition has.

Aw thanks! Glad you enjoyed my deep dive into the game :D

I also broke down the entire plot with another super fan based on much of the optional stuff I found in the LP in another video if you guys are interested!

Last edited:

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And we still have no new information on 2 since its reveal back in september

stop TEASING ME