xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I get what you mean. Hopefully that is just how the trailer makes it seem

I hope so too. Apparently the script is the old one that's been circulating for years too, right?
So at least the writing won't be too far removed from the show - and that's not meant in a condescending way. The show existed in a very specific time at HBO where they were at the end of their top game! They have never reached the pinnacle of writing present in The Wire, Sopranos or Deadwood again - at least for me.

Corky

Alt account
Banned
Dec 5, 2018
I hope so too. Apparently the script is the old one that's been circulating for years too, right?
So at least the writing won't be too far removed from the show - and that's not meant in a condescending way. The show existed in a very specific time at HBO where they were at the end of their top game! They have never reached the pinnacle of writing present in The Wire, Sopranos or Deadwood again - at least for me.
You are right. Something like the recent seasons of GoT aren't even close. I'm hoping this movie is a bit of a throwback to their peak too.

Oct 27, 2017
I'd put Rome on that list as well.

Psykoboy2

Oct 27, 2017
Alabama
Al's got a slur in his speech. And I can't tell if it's Ian or Al. Listen to the narration at the beginning and again when he talks to Bullock. There's this...sound coming from his speech.

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
Easy way to watch this show is prob just subbing to HBO on my Apple TV?

Oh Crave has it here guess I will get that

s_mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Awesome! Looking forward to this.

Al's got a slur in his speech. And I can't tell if it's Ian or Al. Listen to the narration at the beginning and again when he talks to Bullock. There's this...sound coming from his speech.

Yeah, noticed that. Checked out a few interviews and Ian Mcshane is slurring these days; it sounds like he can't move his tongue properly. I think this is a fairly recent thing.

blainethemono

Oct 27, 2017
Looks good. I guess somebody should start a re-watch thread. I haven't seen the show since it aired so I feel like I need to get caught up.

Will this film exist as a finale for the show? Or are they structuring it so that they can do more movies?

Deadline - Ian McShane Teases Details About Upcoming 'Deadwood' Movie – TCA

Ian McShane said:
"Deadwood is celebrating South Dakota as a state, and Hearst has come back and Alma has come back in town, so you have all the main characters converging and how they changed in ten years. Now Hearst wants to put telegraphs in town, which isn't going too well. Al has had a little bit too much of that over the years. There's a surprise for Trixie and Star," revealed McShane who was at TCA today for Starz's American Gods session. McShane won a best actor-drama Golden Globe in 2005 for playing Swearengen on Deadwood and was also nominated for the role at the Primetime Emmys that same year.

We asked McShane if Milch employed a similar creative process as he did during the run of the show: Milch was known to rewrite pages on the fly while the cast was ready to film, in costume.

"This script was done, but nothing like we did before because it's a two-hour movie, it's a whole different thing (next) to doing an episodic," said McShane.

And what can we expect from the end?

"It ends leaving you wondering," said McShane. "If it makes $115M, HBO will somehow find a way to do another one."

Edward

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Man if this got so much views and attention that it got a few limited seasons i could die a happy and complete man.

Net_Wrecker

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in the middle of a Deadwood rewatch right now and this movie existing is just insane to me. Will be happy to have one last go with these characters.

On the original show: What an immensely watchable thing it is. Might not be as important to HBO as The Sopranos, Oz, The Wire, or Game Of Thrones, but mannnn, it's my favorite. Just a ridiculous number of incredible lines every episode.

Last edited:

Vinimaw

Oct 28, 2017
I just loved the writing of this show, like every fricking episode you spend a few minutes wondering what the fuck is happening.

shenden

Oct 27, 2017
Sweet Christmas! I don't remember shit fram last season, but I do remember wanting more.

Cocksman

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really need to finish the series. For some reason I think I stopped when Al had his kidney stone I think