• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Kind of a general question and crossing the line a little for me (I don't like to talk about my personal life online), but for those who have high levels of anxiety, what do you do when you're out of medication or don't use medication and you just can't cope in the moment?

The hellish morning commute with me being very late to work and feeling dissatisfied and self conscious of my appearance combined with social anxiety has compounded into one big mess for me, and I want to crawl under my desk for hours. I'm out of my medication until Friday, and my panic disorder is acting up. It's so difficult.

Sorry if there are other topics that deal with this sort of thing. I just wanted to hear if anyone else has large amounts of anxiety and how they deal with it.

HamCormier

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
It'll be fine, just go one moment at a time. It's easy to get overwhelmed when you let it overcome you.

I'm not familiar about your medical situation, so I'm not sure I get how you can 'run out' of meds like that, but hopefully it's something you can fix for next time?

OP
OP
super etrian odyssey
Oct 27, 2017
It'll be fine, just go one moment at a time. It's easy to get overwhelmed when you let it overcome you.

I'm not familiar about your medical situation, so I'm not sure I get how you can 'run out' of meds like that, but hopefully it's something you can fix for next time?
I had to reschedule my appointment, so I'm simply out of them for a few days. Stinks!

Yeah, one moment at a time. Thank you.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Breathing exercises, just the usual inhale/exhale by timer - there's a hundred apps, just use a basic one. Walking somewhere to do something (e.g. leaving the office to get lunch, going out the house to walk to x). Hot baths but if you find them effective don't use them as a crutch.

Hope you get through it OP.

Fright Zone

Dec 17, 2017
London
I just try and distance myself from whatever is causing the anxiety if possible. Getting away from everyone helps, or getting out of my house.
Going for a walk somewhere calm and peaceful. Obviously that isn't always possible though.

Or putting on some headphones and listening to some calming music to block out the outside world and/or my own thoughts.

And breathe deeply of course!

Zynn

Jan 5, 2018
I'm also dealing with anxiety issues and what I do is see a psychologist every weekend and take some meds that my psychiatrist prescribed me.

Different people have different ways to alleviate anxiety. Some just go for long walks, some go to the gym. You could try to find what sort of activities calm you down.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I went through hell last year with severe anxiety. Still comes and goes for me especially with this weather. My advice would to be think of positive things. Things you look forward to. Listen to some Bob Marley and keep busy even when you feel like doing nothing

Vylder

Oct 25, 2017
Best way I found to control my anxiety is to laugh. I'll go on Youtube watch some stupid videos just to think about something else, and it usually works.

Falcon511

Oct 27, 2017
Breathing helps me a lot. I use an app called Pacifa. Its on both android and iphone. Its great to listen to some calming nature sounds and such. Meditation helps. Might not be the end all be all but it will lesson the impact.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
I had to reschedule my appointment, so I'm simply out of them for a few days. Stinks!

Yeah, one moment at a time. Thank you.

See if your pharmacy is ok with giving you a small amount before you get your recheck. Explain the situation and they may be able to give you a small amount til you van get your refill. My pharmacy actually mentioned they could do that for me if I needed it.

Threadkular

Dec 29, 2017
Can I ask what the medication is? I'd hope anything for long term treatment isn't giving you such instant results or changes in mood.

Deleted member 25709

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
OP, take cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT). It's evidence based psychology and is effective for treating anxiety.

Last edited:

Boy Wander

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
UK
Can I ask what the medication is? I'd hope anything for long term treatment isn't giving you such instant results or changes in mood.

Medication works so it can become a crutch. You think you need it to feel ok (some people genuinely do, at least short term) so not having it can bring on anxiety because you think you won't cope without it.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
I've noticed that having earphones on and listening to good beat helps me tremendously with keeping anxiety at bay as I am rolling into work. Otherwise I feel like everyone is staring at me and judging me for being late or whatever (even if I'm early). Try it OP. Get BeatsXAudio phones.

Threadkular

Dec 29, 2017
Anti depressants is the long term treatment for anxiety

Anti depressant withdrawal is a biiiitch. You don't want to go through it.

I understand the concern about withdrawal, but the OP paints it as of he/she can't survive without his/her daily Prozac or whatever or they'll get overcome with anxiety. That doesn't sound right.

Also if you're running low and waiting for an upcoming appointment within a few days doctors often tell you to just slightly cut your daily dose to space it out (or of course just hand you a new prescription over the phone).

Introvert

Nov 5, 2017
I have really bad social anxiety. Meds didn't really do any thing for me. I gave up on them and stopped seeing a therapist when I resigned myself to that fact that things would never change. I was working from home at the time, but sometime later I ended up getting a physically intensive job where I meet a lot of different people, especially women (I've always had problems talking to girls). The new environment didn't cure my anxiety, but it did alleviate a lot of it and got me to come out of my shell.

I think the daily combination of getting plenty of exercise, interacting with new people, obtaining a lean/fit body (and seeing it every time I look in the mirror), and obtaining a new wardrobe (I lost so much weight I had to buy a new one) of snazzy clothes that always gets me compliments is what helped me a lot.

When I do get the occasional heart palpitations + restless, ruminating mind and I can't sleep/concentrate, I take some CBD oil which also helps.

Deleted member 25709

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Cannabis yo. Seriously. Does wonders.

I've never understood how this works.m
CBT in general works by cognitive restructuring and behaviour changes. All I know is that its scientifically backed by research for anxiety and MDD.

Medication works so it can become a crutch. You think you need it to feel ok (some people genuinely do, at least short term) so not having it can bring on anxiety because you think you won't cope without it.
Anti depressants is the long term treatment for anxiety

Anti depressant withdrawal is a biiiitch. You don't want to go through it.

I'm not sure about anti depressants, but anti anxiety drugs are definitely for short term only. Treatments such as CBT are for long term.

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
CBT in general works by cognitive restructuring and behaviour changes. All I know is that its scientifically backed by research for anxiety and MDD.
Yeah I've read that but I've wanted to follow some tutorials or something but haven't seen something conclusive and I honestly don't trust psychologists around my area, local universities are simply put it very bad at teaching that profession.

OP
OP
super etrian odyssey
Oct 27, 2017
I understand the concern about withdrawal, but the OP paints it as of he/she can't survive without his/her daily Prozac or whatever or they'll get overcome with anxiety. That doesn't sound right.

Also if you're running low and waiting for an upcoming appointment within a few days doctors often tell you to just slightly cut your daily dose to space it out (or of course just hand you a new prescription over the phone).
I take an anti-depressant for long term (Paxil), and for flare ups, Xanax, which is hard for me to tell others because I feel bad about taking it. It's not a daily thing for me, or at least I try not to make it one. It truly makes me feel a lot better. This is a flare up, and I don't have Xanax, so I'm freaking out. Probably a mental thing.

Yeah, I'm gonna call the doctor today to get a refill until my appointment. Thanks everyone.

Boy Wander

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
UK

I'm not sure about anti depressants, but anti anxiety drugs are definitely for short term only. Treatments such as CBT are for long term.

Here in the UK, CBT is difficult to get in the time that you need it, so medication is the go-to option for most doctors. I wanted CBT and was told it would be 7-8 months before I could be seen for a 6 week course. Going private is expensive so not an option for most people, hence most end up on meds. The problem here is, once you're on meds, good luck getting off of them. I've had a nightmare coming off of and/or changing medication in the past, despite my GP advising me that such issues are "rare" (which is not true if the anecdotal evidence I've read on the net is to be believed).

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Right there with you OP. My depression + social anxiety has been my biggest issue for years.

I'm depressed because I'm lonely, but my social anxiety makes me stress out in even basic social occasions. It's a horrible circle.

infinitebento

Oct 25, 2017
chicago
You can go to pharmacy's (walgreens etc) and ask for an emergency 3 day prescription to cover you until you get a refill. Most times it is free and helps greatly with avoiding periods without being medicated. A lot of people don't know this so feel free to call your pharmacy to double check if they do provide this service. You can usually walk in and pick it up immediately.

If you feel extremely anxious, I recommend hot chamomile tea, buying a stress ball or something soft to hold onto and squish to help with fidgeting, and listening to things such as rainymood.com to ease your heart racing.

Deleted member 25709

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Yeah I've read that but I've wanted to follow some tutorials or something but haven't seen something conclusive and I honestly don't trust psychologists around my area, local universities are simply put it very bad at teaching that profession.
Here in the UK, CBT is difficult to get in the time that you need it, so medication is the go-to option for most doctors. I wanted CBT and was told it would be 7-8 months before I could be seen for a 6 week course. Going private is expensive so not an option for most people, hence most end up on meds. The problem here is, once you're on meds, good luck getting off of them. I've had a nightmare coming off of and/or changing medication in the past, despite my GP advising me that such issues are "rare" (which is not true if the anecdotal evidence I've read on the net is to be believed).

I guess as a start you can try reading CBT books such as When Panic Attacks by Burns, Mind over Mood by Greenberger & Padesky, etc. I suggest getting one on one professional help though.

Last edited:

Chris.

Oct 27, 2017
What you on? I was on 150mg sertraline and weaned myself off it. Dr didn't want me to stop them, so I just done it myself because I knew they weren't helping

Had no issues at all coming off and actually found it quite easy.

Puggles

Sometimes, it's not a fart
Nov 3, 2017
I had crippling anxiety until I started taking LSD about once every 6 months. It just immediately went away and hasn't come back in years. I wish they would stop pushing these prescriptions on people that stop working the second you stop taking them when there are much better options.

Boy Wander

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
UK
What you on? I was on 150mg sertraline and weaned myself off it. Dr didn't want me to stop them, so I just done it myself because I knew they weren't helping

Had no issues at all coming off and actually found it quite easy.

Mirtazapine. And I've been on them because they help me sleep as much as they control my anxiety.

OP
OP
super etrian odyssey
Oct 27, 2017
I had crippling anxiety until I starting taking LSD about once every 6 months. It just immediately went away and hasn't come back in years. I wish they would stop pushing these prescriptions on people that stop working the second you stop taking them when there are much better options.
This is something I've been interested in, since a friend of mine also does the same thing and it helps him a lot.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Breathing exercises, just the usual inhale/exhale by timer - there's a hundred apps, just use a basic one. Walking somewhere to do something (e.g. leaving the office to get lunch, going out the house to walk to x). Hot baths but if you find them effective don't use them as a crutch.

Hope you get through it OP.
Yeah, breathing exercises are great. They're free and have no negative side effects.

Last edited:

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
Breathing exercises should become your best friend. In my experience, that's the only thing that really helps. Not medication, or anything else that I've tried.

Good luck, anxiety sucks

Chris.

Oct 27, 2017
Mirtazapine. And I've been on them because they help me sleep as much as they control my anxiety.
Been on them aswell but couldn't stand the side effects so I was put back on sertraline

What I done with sertraline was cut down in 25mg doses every a week or 2. When I was down to just 25mg I would take one every second day then stopped after a week. Had no side effects, withdrawal or issues coming off it.

Threadkular

Dec 29, 2017
I take an anti-depressant for long term (Paxil), and for flare ups, Xanax, which is hard for me to tell others because I feel bad about taking it. It's not a daily thing for me, or at least I try not to make it one. It truly makes me feel a lot better. This is a flare up, and I don't have Xanax, so I'm freaking out. Probably a mental thing.

Yeah, I'm gonna call the doctor today to get a refill until my appointment. Thanks everyone.

I'm just some rando on the internet, but your post sounded like jonesing for something to me, which is why I asked, and I suspected Benzos. One thing to file (or flush) away and perhaps consider. No judgment - it's between you and your doctor, but maybe show him/her your post or talk about how you're feeling in relation to the drug with him/her.

You're also considering LSD and pot - maybe tell your doctor that too.

OP
OP
super etrian odyssey
Oct 27, 2017
I'm just some rando on the internet, but your post sounded like jonesing for something to me, which is why I asked, and I suspected Benzos. One thing to file (or flush) away and perhaps consider. No judgment - it's between you and your doctor, but maybe show him/her your post or talk about how you're feeling in relation to the drug with him/her.

You're also considering LSD and pot - maybe tell your doctor that too.
:) Thank you for the support. I've mentioned pot to her, and she was receptive. I'll talk more about everything with her at my appointment.

For those who have mentioned, breathing has helped. I always forget to properly breathe when I'm anxious, lol. Literally, I just hold my breath in.

Calabi

Oct 26, 2017
I just repeat these words or something in my head "I dont care what people think", "It doesnt matter what people think" or something along those lines. Some phrase even if its silly just make up one and keep repeating it over and over again.

MarcyPoos

Oct 25, 2017
From now on make sure you never run out of your medication. Long term Paroxetine and CBT for me, I'd ask about the latter if you have not and stick with your medication if it's working for you.

Jokergrin

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Kind of a general question and crossing the line a little for me (I don't like to talk about my personal life online), but for those who have high levels of anxiety, what do you do when you're out of medication or don't use medication and you just can't cope in the moment?

The hellish morning commute with me being very late to work and feeling dissatisfied and self conscious of my appearance combined with social anxiety has compounded into one big mess for me, and I want to crawl under my desk for hours. I'm out of my medication until Friday, and my panic disorder is acting up. It's so difficult.

Sorry if there are other topics that deal with this sort of thing. I just wanted to hear if anyone else has large amounts of anxiety and how they deal with it.

Anxiety is caused by fears.

Identify what you are afraid of and then confront and expose yourself to it small doses incrementally until you are no longer afraid of it. Courage is the antidote to anxiety, and well as taking responsibility for everything in ourlives and not feeling like a victim.

Good luck and I am rooting for you!!

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
Anxiety is caused by fears.

Identify what you are afraid of and then confront and expose yourself to it small doses incrementally until you are no longer afraid of it. Courage is the antidote to anxiety, and well as taking responsibility for everything in ourlives and not feeling like a victim.

Good luck and I am rooting for you!!

This sounds like advice from some one who thinks mental problems are all just stuff in our head and that people just aren't strong enough who have them... Don't know if you meant it that way, but that's how it comes off. And it's really not helpful cause it's hard for people to get help with their mental issues cause it contributes to this stigma society has about mental issues. Hell, I admit it affected me cause I know society has this stigma and I totally support that people sometimes need more help than to just get stronger and yet it was hard for me to think that maybe I was one of those (I have mild anxiety and yes, taking a pill really does help... I never realized how much it actually affected me until after I was finally convinced to try it).

Mental issues are real, they are a physical thing. But yes, it's hard to tell sometimes the line between when some one just needs to be "tougher" and when there is a physical reason behind it (at least from the outside. SOmetimes from the inside).

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
Makes it way worse for some, myself included. I like to smoke weed, but if I'm feeling extra anxious I avoid it, it can send me into a full blown panic attack.

Yeah... I'm not a fan of weed. IF I can get a light buzz, that's great, it's very relaxing. But the few times I got full on high (one time I wasn't trying cause i knew i didn't like it) just instigated panic attacks in me. Weed highs just amplify my anxiety honestly (especially my hypochondria, I don't like feeling like something is wrong with my body). Enough so that the risk of getting a full on high isn't worth the relaxing feel of a light buzz.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
From my experience in therapy what was most successful for me was to retrain my negative thoughts. Every time I would go into work I was anxious that my boss hated me and that I was going to be fired. When I was at my computer and a new email arrived I would panic and think it was an email from my boss and he was going to say something negative.

In this example-when I heard those thoughts I would counter them by saying "I haven't been fired in over 5 years here." If an email arrived I would counter it by saying "I've never got a negative email from my boss-why would it possibly happen now?"

Things like that-every aspect of my life where I had negative thoughts or uncomfortable scenarios I have to proactively talk back to them with "realistic" thoughts.

It's not always easy to do, but once you get into the pattern of it-it will change your life.

Edit-and oh yes, the breathing exercises were wonderful. The first time my therapist taught me how to do her method it was like a revelation. I had never experienced a full and total relaxation-I fell asleep.

Jokergrin

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto, Canada
This sounds like advice from some one who thinks mental problems are all just stuff in our head and that people just aren't strong enough who have them... Don't know if you meant it that way, but that's how it comes off. And it's really not helpful cause it's hard for people to get help with their mental issues cause it contributes to this stigma society has about mental issues. Hell, I admit it affected me cause I know society has this stigma and I totally support that people sometimes need more help than to just get stronger and yet it was hard for me to think that maybe I was one of those (I have mild anxiety and yes, taking a pill really does help... I never realized how much it actually affected me until after I was finally convinced to try it).

Mental issues are real, they are a physical thing. But yes, it's hard to tell sometimes the line between when some one just needs to be "tougher" and when there is a physical reason behind it (at least from the outside. SOmetimes from the inside).

Yeah, sorry I didn't mean to imply that there aren't sometimes physical causes/conditions that should be acknowledged.

I was referring more to like everyday anxiety / depression, and my own experiences with what was effective in improving it. Certainly due diligence should be done for any possible physical conditions, sorry for the misunderstanding.

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017

This works for me every time. You don't have to go outside or barefoot, and you can easily do this at a desk or a quiet corner of your office/workplace.

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
Therapy has been the best thing so far for me. I went from taking fairly high doses of Xanax three times a day to only needing it when my anxiety seems uncontrollable which hasn't been in months.

Breathing exercises help a lot too. Another big thing that helped tremendously for me was not fighting the anxiety or a panic attack. The more you fight, the worse it gets, usually. I ride the wave. I acknowledge that I'm freaking out and remind myself that I've been through this before and I can get through it again. Try to stay in the moment and let it runs its course. Easier said than done, of course, but with practice it can be done.

Hope that helps and I hope it gets better for you!

OP
OP
super etrian odyssey
Oct 27, 2017
Therapy has been the best thing so far for me. I went from taking fairly high doses of Xanax three times a day to only needing it when my anxiety seems uncontrollable which hasn't been in months.

Breathing exercises help a lot too. Another big thing that helped tremendously for me was not fighting the anxiety or a panic attack. The more you fight, the worse it gets, usually. I ride the wave. I acknowledge that I'm freaking out and remind myself that I've been through this before and I can get through it again. Try to stay in the moment and let it runs its course. Easier said than done, of course, but with practice it can be done.

Hope that helps and I hope it gets better for you!
This response is great. Thank you.

That's the one thing I haven't done yet -- therapy. Did a little in high school years and years ago, but nothing since (edit: omg I typed "sense," I need coffee). I need to try it again.