• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
For the first time, a database maintained by the Drug Enforcement Administration that tracks the path of every single pain pill sold in the United States — by manufacturers and distributors to pharmacies in every town and city — has been made public.

The Washington Post sifted through nearly 380 million transactions from 2006 through 2012 that are detailed in the DEA's database and analyzed shipments of oxycodone and hydrocodone pills, which account for three-quarters of the total opioid pill shipments to pharmacies. The Post is making this data available at the county and state levels in order to help the public understand the impact of years of prescription pill shipments on their communities.

• From 2006 to 2012 there were 190,234,899 prescription pain pills, enough for 34 pills per person per year, supplied to Worcester County, Mass.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/grap...ea-pain-pill-database/?utm_term=.2829a8b98f44

Sadly, mine does not surprise me at all. :(

FYI- There is no paywall, they just need an email to read.

Last edited:

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017

GodofWine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Can a.paid sub run 08054 in it and report back?

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The OP needs to specify that this is behind a paywall since the title says "see how many pills were prescribed in your community," I can't because it's behind the WaPo paywall.

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I just used uBlock Origin's element picker mode to eliminate the paywall.
As for Wayne County, Michigan, it got over 600 million pain pills, or over 40 per person.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
brute force that shit. as soon as they try to give you a paywall, you slam that Stop load button so hard, their heads spin.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
38 million fucking pills for Mingo county in West Virginia over 6 years? How the fuck can you justify that? Someone's going to jail (I hope).

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
Remember, private windows work.

11.1M in my county in Michigan, 60 pills per person per year from 2006 to 2012.

Not surprising, painkillers (and meth and probably heroin now too) have ravaged this county as it has others, someone I went to school with (well, she was a grade ahead) looks at least 20 years older than she is because of at least from painkiller abuse. Had a physician's assistant here back in 2007 who got busted for distributing painkillers, had a load of them in his car IIRC when he got pulled over which lead to investigating his records where they found he was falsifying. My grand mother use to see him until he tried to push a cholesterol medication and he was an asshole about it when she refused it.

EDIT: Looking around at it again others were arrested too in the year or so that followed his arrest and it looks like after his license was reinstated in 2010 he moved to Mt. Pleasant and was working in some clinics that were busted for a healthcare kickback/fraud scheme that he was also involved in before being indicted and his license suspended again after he plead guilty to conspiracy to pay and receive health-care kickbacks in 2013.

Last edited:

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
brute force that shit. as soon as they try to give you a paywall, you slam that Stop load button so hard, their heads spin.
Good point.

From 2006 to 2012 there were 173,180,164 prescription pain pills, enough for 53 pills per person per year, supplied to Spokane County, Wash.

Jesus

Deleted member 3812

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've tried a private window and got to view this. Very awful. Would be great if the DEA could release publicly, the full database since the data WaPo focused on is 2006-2012, would be nice to see how much pills were supplied from 2013 to 2018 to see if the numbers decreased any from the 2006-2012 timeframe.

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017

Thanks for the tip.

From 2006 to 2012 there were 312,646,833 prescription pain pills, enough for 48 pills per person per year, supplied to Erie County, N.Y.

Thanks doctors and pharmacists for looking out for your communities.

Rune Walsh

Too many boners
Oct 25, 2017
Omaha is surprisingly not god awful, just plain awful:

From 2006 to 2012 there were 98,240,473 prescription pain pills, enough for 27 pills per person per year, supplied to Douglas County, Neb.

Right across the river in Council Bluffs however is worse:

From 2006 to 2012 there were 21,186,485 prescription pain pills, enough for 33 pills per person per year, supplied to Pottawattamie County, Iowa.

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
Reminder that 2012 was 7 years ago.
Shits probably worse now.

Interesting how it looks like West Virginia/Kentucky were specifically targeted

OP
OP
Wag

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
As bad as it was we haven't even seen the data for the last 7yrs yet.

Vas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, look what they do to our communities in KY/WV. These pills ruined dreams, and not just the dreams of folks who use them, but those who care about them , too. I have friends dead over this stuff. It's so sad. One day they do a little pain pill at a party here and there, and two years later they are banging (AKA shooting up) 30/80mg in the bathroom at pizza places while everyone is waiting for their food because they just can't go a few hours without their dope.

Edward

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
I could probably take a guess how bad it is in TN especially my city. It's been plaguing my city for a long time so much so they started running traps between here and Florida for pill runs and have been trying to crack down on pill mills. Our biggest problem was meth years ago now it's all oxy this perc that cars and houses in good parts of the city are getting broken into.

The Wraith

Oct 27, 2017
28 pills per person in my county. My cousin unfortunately was addicted to pain pills and eventually became a heroin addict when he couldn't afford the pills anymore. I hate big pharma with a passion because of it.

Book One

Oct 25, 2017
A side note, I believe Amazon prime members can get a WP digital sub for like 4 or 5 bucks a month.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
Terrible. My mom was at close to 10 pills a day for years after she had back surgery. She has weened herself down to 2 a day now.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
I've tried a private window and got to view this. Very awful. Would be great if the DEA could release publicly, the full database since the data WaPo focused on is 2006-2012, would be nice to see how much pills were supplied from 2013 to 2018 to see if the numbers decreased any from the 2006-2012 timeframe.
They probably with how there's been a crack down on opiates being over prescribed, their being harder & more expensive to get is what's lead to the epidemic with cheap heroin.

GodofWine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
"From 2006 to 2012 there were 98,843,372 prescription pain pills, enough for 31 pills per person per year, supplied to Burlington County, N.J."

a CVS in Mount Laurel received the highest number of pills

WOW...thanks.

I probably had the average dispensed to me, one bottle of Hydro for a hernia surgery a few years back - I took 4 of them, luckily we already knew how addictive they could be and I just used them for the initial pain.