jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
A sign of things to come for big Sony titles?

Or just a one off because of Kojima's clout. He gets what he wants.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
505 Games is just handling PC ""marketing"" and an eventual physical copy and PC support for eventual issues.

This is no different from THQ Nordic publishing MS titles on PC or Annapurna with Journey.
505 is full on the publisher, just like annapurna was the publisher of journey on pc and mobile. they've licensed the game from sony to release on other platforms, it's not really a marketing or distribution deal.

imo just a one-off thing. won't happen with their other first party games. unless they want to hire another creator and he/she wants a similar clause in the deal.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
It's nice that they made this official again but they announced that this was happening years ago lol. Guess people just forgot. Oh well nice to know its release date on PC

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That's cool, but also means that I'm moving my purchase from next month to summer next year.

Mr. Poolman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
What a weird timing to announce this.

Now this...
EH-sokeXUAEAIlA
Is pure comedy.

natestellar

Sep 16, 2018
I don't understand. So it's not a PS4 exclusive? What did Sony have to do with this, exactly?

I presume the original contract which Sony and KojiPro entered had a PC release tied to it, few months down the line. As expected, these things are iron clad and no amount of Sonys' FP proprietary engine would change that.

Latter, but only part of. The original terms as announced in 2015 was this title was going to be console exclusive with PC version down the line. Having said that, it's definitely his name which made Sony agree to his demands. Afterall, this is being fully funded by them.

None of their FP Studios title will ever see the light of day on PC (unless through PS Now). Exclusives developed with 3rd party though, who knows?

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't effect my pre order for the PS4 version but will probably check out the PC version too (Hope there's a demo so I can check on my PC).

Kinda weird they're announcing this literally a week before the PS4 release. Probably gonna lead to at least some pre orders being canceled.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I might wait it out for the PC version. I haven't turned on my PS4 Pro in months and it's currently in a box. Might just keep it that way.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who is unconvinced by what I've seen of the game and thus waiting a few months anyway, this is pretty great news. By the time the PC version comes out I'll know if I even want it based on impressions not clouded by hype. And if it turns out I do want it, I'll go with the PC version for the perf (assuming they don't blow it.)

Putty

Double Eleven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Middlesbrough
The more people who get to play the better. I only game on PS so nothing changes for me. Even if i gamed on PC i certainly wouldn't wait to play.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Doesn't effect my pre order for the PS4 version but will probably check out the PC version too (Hope there's a demo so I can check on my PC).

Kinda weird they're announcing this literally a week before the PS4 release. Probably gonna lead to at least some pre orders being canceled.
The fact that they are announcing it now probably means the overlap between PS4 players and PC players that are not worried of spoilers is too small for it to hurt them.
Death Stranding isn't 1st party, and none of the games on PC are either, so what point are you making
You are confusing first party developer and first party game, Death Stranding is a first party game, Kojima Productions are not first party developers.

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
My post still stands until I see some actual evidence that they own the IP.
Trademark is very important, if not everything, when it comes to games. In this specific case here, the ownership also extends to the IP.

Similar things happened with Demon's Souls. There's a reason why Namco couldn't published Demon's Souls 2 and that's because SIE owns the IP. That's why they had to trademark Dark Souls and brand it as a "spiritual" sequel to Demon's Souls even though it is technically set in the same world. 😐

trademarks.justia.com

DEATH STRANDING Trademark of SONY INTERACTIVE ENTERTAINMENT LLC - Registration Number 6002881 - Serial Number 87107685 :: Justia Trademarks

video game software. Jewelry, namely, watches, necklaces, bracelets, earrings, cuff links, and tie pins. Art prints; Blank journal books; Comic books; Note books; Guide books in the field of video and computer game strategy; Picture books; Posters; Printed materials, namely, novels and series of...

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Death Stranding isn't 1st party, and none of the games on PC are either, so what point are you making

Of course it's first party if they own the IP.

Crackdown 3 isn't first party? Not made by a MS studio and it's on PC.

It's different from something like Street Fighter V and FF VII, that are just deals.

xendless

Teyvat Traveler
Jan 23, 2019
I hope the sparkly PC version comes to PS5 via enhancements too
It would be cool to see the 4/5 difference

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
My post still stands until I see some actual evidence that they own the IP.

Considering what Sony has invested in this game there isn't a universe that exists where they don't own this IP. Add in the fact that they have a track record of doing this kind of approach. I mean, they own Demon's Souls but not FromSoftware. They own Flow, Flower & Journey but not Thatgamecompany. They own Heavy Rain, Beyond Two Souls and Detroit but not QuanticDreams. Believe or don't believe what you want, Sony absolutely owns Death Stranding.

Corine

Nov 8, 2017
Trademark is everything when it comes to games. In this case here, trademark is also the IP. There's a reason why Namco couldn't published Demon's Souls 2 and that's because SIE owns the IP. That's why they had to trademark Dark Souls and brand it as a "spiritual" sequel to Demon's Souls even though it is technically set in the same world.

trademarks.justia.com

DEATH STRANDING Trademark of SONY INTERACTIVE ENTERTAINMENT LLC - Registration Number 6002881 - Serial Number 87107685 :: Justia Trademarks

video game software. Jewelry, namely, watches, necklaces, bracelets, earrings, cuff links, and tie pins. Art prints; Blank journal books; Comic books; Note books; Guide books in the field of video and computer game strategy; Picture books; Posters; Printed materials, namely, novels and series of...
That doesn't say anything about IP ownership that's just the same old trademark that's been posted time and time again that was already said not to mean IP ownership.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure which is worse

the fanboys that get angry over losing an exclusive
or
The people that said the game didn't look good at all and weren't interested in it now suddenly are interested

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Holy crap!!
Hope it's good and if it is I'm going to snatch that up. I thought this was full Sony, maybe it falls under their multiplayer games coming to PC thing, what is the multiplayer like in this game even?

And Decima on PC, can't wait to see how that looks and run.

Also Dreams, EGS PC with it's own Dreams section like Unreal Engine 4, it may be quite an undertaking and Epic has to be fully on board with this, but they have the technology, and if nothing else PC people can create 3d items in Dreams for UE4 store stuff + Dreams PC and PS4.

Corine

Nov 8, 2017
Considering what Sony has invested in this game there isn't a universe that exists where they don't own this IP. Add in the fact that they have a track record of doing this kind of approach. I mean, they own Demon's Souls but not FromSoftware. They own Flow, Flower & Journey but not Thatgamecompany. They own Heavy Rain, Beyond Two Souls and Detroit but not QuanticDreams. Believe or don't believe what you want, Sony absolutely owns Death Stranding.
I believe the evidence and I haven't seen any regarding Sony actually owning the IP. Just a repeated link to a trademark.

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
As long as a game is FULLY published by Sony, it is a First-party title. It doesn't matter if it's developed internally (1st party devs) or externally (3rd party devs).
An IP is a trademark.
A trademark is a form of Intellectual Property. Although, you are right in this case as the ownership also extends to the IP.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
There is a shockingly lack of walking sim and "but what do you do?" jokes about Death Stranding in this topic.

Nice to see a positive topic about this game.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
makes me want to cancel my ps4 pro/death stranding bundle

what other big releases are there for ps4 next year?

ff7 remake
last of us
ghosts of t

Don't get me wrong, buy what you want. But if you are thinking about postponing your PS4Pro purchase... Maybe go directly for PS5 next year, I'm 100% sure it will be backwards compatible.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand. So it's not a PS4 exclusive? What did Sony have to do with this, exactly?
This is about as fully funded as it gets from Sony using their internal resources as freely as any other of their internal studios. Which is why it's weird compared to how other first-party games have gone to PC, and it managed to fool me. I guess Kojima has so much clout that he was able to arrange a deal despite Sony basically funding as though it were their latest Uncharted game.

Anyway, looking at Metal Gear Solid - which was a PS1 exclusive - that was released for PC, 2 years later. Strangely enough, it's still widely considered to be PS1 exclusive.

Last edited:

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Now that the game is no longer an exclusive, can the threads be better? Please?
The game is fucking wierd and what they have shown doesn't completely sell it. People don't shit on bloodborne cause it was exclusive. Everyone knows it's a good game. Threads turn out a mess for this game because it's a very strange and opinions are split. It not being exclusive isn't going to change that.