• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't think I have this, but it doesn't matter anymore, the entire community built a highway just to avoid the mule area that kept giving me a bit of trouble. I love this game.

It's bonkers how much of a difference the community can make to one's playthrough. People have literally saved me hours of time and in instances, frustration.

Now that I'm starting more Bridge contracts with higher level Porters, I'm also seeing crazier things. It's awesome how you can essentially semi tweak which users you see more stuff from, and thus can inadvertently decide if you want to make your gaming experience easier or harder, or more built up or more sparse.

In any case, I genuinely cannot fathom how some could give a game as polished, creative, inventive, deep, rewarding and sophisticated as this, scores as low as 3 or 4. Some of things I've experienced in the game just feel so innovative and at times awe inspiring. Even just playing the game and watching environments change over time, starting with signs, ladders and ropes, to huge bridges, entire roads, structures and more, is a really cool thing to behold.

Last edited:

JJD

Oct 25, 2017
I want to buy the soundtrack of this game! Sooo many good tracks! Kojima really has an ear for music!

I found two versions of the soundtrack, one by Ludwig Forssell and other Timefall music inspired by Death Stranding.

There is no Soundtrack with the Dead Poets and Low Roar and other artists tracks? I want the complete package!!!

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
considering this game is mostly just open landscapes, it's pretty remarkable how much of an impression each area has made on me

I can think of the streams around the Engineer, and i can picture the marsh full of Mules

I not only see the areas in my head, but i also see how to navigate them as well

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
It's bonkers how much of a difference the community can make to one's playthrough. People have literally saved me hours of time and frustration.

Now that I'm starting more Bridge contracts with higher level Porters, I'm also seeing crazier things. Awesome how you can essentially semi tweak which users you see more stuff from, and thus can inadvertently decide if you want to make your gaming experience easier or harder.

I just learned that road completion is tied to chapter progression . So it looks like the community is building roads (it will give a name), but that happens automatically as you progress into new chapters.

Seems like it is smoke and mirrors. Also seems like the only reason to build roads yourself is to get them earlier than when chapters build them for you.

refusi0n1

Oct 27, 2017
Kojima discovered some weird hypnotizing element unseen to us because this game is sticking in my head in a way I haven't felt in a while. Open areas with minimal mobs and fetch quests being this dope is reallllly weird to me.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Well that ending was something else. Classic Kojima, though and through. and through and through and
Does it retroactively color your opinion of the game at all?
I'm curious if the critic/player divide thus far is at least partially due to players not having gone through the full product yet.
I'm sure self-selection by interest is also another big part...

Soul Lab

Nov 17, 2017
In the middle of chapter 3 and I think I'm gonna stop here. After more than 10 hours the game still hasn't clicked with me.
oh well. It was worth a try

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I just learned that road completion is tied to chapter progression . So it looks like the community is building roads (it will give a name), but that happens automatically as you progress into new chapters.

Seems like it is smoke and mirrors. Also seems like the only reason to build roads yourself is to get them earlier than when chapters build them for you.

People are building stuff constantly, it's just the game won't show you the things people are building till you unlock or sync the Chiral network in that specific region, as well as the relevant printer/fabrication options. It's not smoke and mirrors, it's just the game delaying the point at which you can see what people are doing, to maintain a sense of progression and reward, and to prevent things from being too easy too soon.

Also, the structures that the game itself provides as part of the story progression, still pales in comparison to the volume of stuff the community is doing. The overwhelming majority of the asynchronous stuff I'm interacting with is community created or issued.

BigTnaples

Oct 30, 2017
Early on, but how do I avoid timefall at the start?

Just built my first PCC Post Office, and the area around it has timefall, but there is no shelter, can I rest long enough for it to pass? Or is it just a perminant area of timefall? Should I just trek through it and take the damage to my cargo?

Oct 27, 2017
OKC
Early on, but how do I avoid timefall at the start?

Just built my first PCC Post Office, and the area around it has timefall, but there is no shelter, can I rest long enough for it to pass? Or is it just a perminant area of timefall? Should I just trek through it and take the damage to my cargo?

i've found that timefall barely matters at all. i've spent shit loads of time in it on deliveries and still get S ranks. i wouldn't worry about it too much.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
People are building stuff constantly, it's just the game won't show you the things people are building till you unlock or sync the Chiral network in that specific region, as well as the relevant printer/fabrication options. It's not smoke and mirrors, it's just the game delaying the point at which you can see what people are doing, to maintain a sense of progression and reward, and to prevent things from being too easy too soon.

Also, the structures that the game itself provides as part of the story progression, still pales in comparison to the volume of stuff the community is doing. The overwhelming majority of the asynchronous stuff I'm interacting with is community created or issued.

When I started chapter 3, I built one section of road. When I went into my room and came out, it said 6 people built more road. This happens to everyone.

I spent 40 hours playing the game between chapter 3 and 5, going all over the map. Not a single section of road was built by another player after that initial stretch south that is immediately built after you build your first section. I personally built a ton. I bet if I didn't build anything and then progressed to later chapters it would auto build the roads (and say players built them).

Oct 27, 2017
I got the bike through to Port Knot City as well. Still got a nice moment seeing it for the first time. The bike gets banged up and stuff, but it gets repaired automatically when you store it in the garage. I fought something in that area and thought it was a boss or something, heh I was wrong.

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
Yeah the only structure that seems to get built and has an influence you see right away is the road; when I hit chapter 3, built the first patch and returned, the road already stretched for miles.

Afterwards I completed two pieces of road and now we are in front of the South Knot Distribution center in my game.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
i am out till i played through the game, thread is getting far too spoilerific for my tastes.

and i frankly think this game isn´t meant to be discussed in every detail while playing through, it is there to be absorbed in solitude, makes for a better experience.

much of the magic of this experience is lost if every system is discussed in every little detail, people know how long this journey is, which items are there and what to expect later...

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the only structure that seems to get built and has an influence you see right away is the road; when I hit chapter 3, built the first patch and returned, the road already stretched for miles.

Afterwards I completed two pieces of road and now we are in front of the South Knot Distribution center in my game.

Yeah, don't make the same mistake I did and think that you need to build the roads yourself. I spent way too much time hauling mats in a truck from all over the map to build them in early chapters.

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
When I started chapter 3, I built one section of road. When I went into my room and came out, it said 6 people built more road. This happens to everyone.

I spent 40 hours playing the game between chapter 3 and 5, going all over the map. Not a single section of road was built by another player after that initial stretch south that is immediately built after you build your first section. I personally built a ton. I bet if I didn't build anything and then progressed to later chapters it would auto build the roads (and say players built them).

It's possible you're simply a lot more committed to the game in terms of play time and effort than those in your server that the game has highlighted to share the most from, and/or that these segments are designed as such to try and keep things challenging before the relevant story developments and progression.

Have you tried doing bridge contracts with more high level Porters and seeing if that makes a difference as you progess and when you enter new areas?

I've personally built very little myself, but I'm seeing stuff from users pop up all over the place, sometimes comically so (eg 4 bridges within a few dozen metres of each other, for the same exact stretch of river).

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
That bola Gun is fucking good but be sure to kick them to knock them out or they'll get up. I learnt the lesson the hard way

the game gets good once you get misc shit that expands your mobility and fight backery

Oh man! OH MAN! That's a good thing to know. Because I learned the hard way that they can get up again... Thankfully, I managed to escape without a scratch.

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
Yeah, don't make the same mistake I did and think that you need to build the roads yourself. I spent way too much time hauling mats in a truck from all over the map to build them in early chapters.
Oh I realized that, but helping out every now and then will accumulate a lot of likes to increase your bridge level. It helps other players too.

I mean I went from 800 likes yesterday evening to 10k + in like three hours. Also Bridge Lvl went from 11 to 49, ha.

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
I know this is going to sound like some honeymoon hot take for this game, but I'm legit enjoying this more than BotW. It's got the same "get from point A to B however the F you want" openness, but with the additional direction and story I wish Zelda BotW had.

I just completed a delivery where I stole a Mule truck and took some terrible route home. I had to stop in the middle due to TimeFall, build a generator when my truck died, then continued on until I got the truck wedged somewhere. After that I had to run like last couple yards home, but the package was safe and sound.

I'm sure I could ask 10 people how they completed that delivery and all 10 would have taken a different route or chose a different method.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Finally unlocked the bike. Ah man this game really opened up with that! Can actually start doing random deliveries now that I can carry more then 1-2 things at a time haha. Wasted a good 2 hours just taking standard orders and picking up stuff along the way. Even saw our beloved Doritos pope along the way! Made damn sure to max out his stuff ASAP to pay my respects 🙏🙏

rude

Oct 25, 2017
The climb to the spiritualist whew

is this the snow part IGN was complaining about?

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Does it retroactively color your opinion of the game at all?
I'm curious if the critic/player divide thus far is at least partially due to players not having gone through the full product yet.
I'm sure self-selection by interest is also another big part...
Not for me, no.

It's story is really as convoluted as any other Kojima project. That is to say, it's a lot of extremely long cut-scenes and exposition about nonsense that you'll fight to keep from nodding off on after awhile. If a critic's issue with the game is the story not having some twists and turns, yes it could change their opinion one way or another. But if you don't enjoy the minute to minute gameplay experience, nothing story-related will redeem your time spent.

For me, I mostly enjoyed the story. The major beats are good, I thought. The minutia often gets lost in the weeds trying to lather you up for a premise that is mostly nonsense. I enjoyed everything about the gameplay *except* the vehicles (awful experience overall) and the 3rd person shooter mechanics (camera control just not refined enough).

One of the later chapters was almost 2-hours worth of exposition and cut-scenes with no meaningful gameplay at all. Kojima needs to learn how to break this shit up sometimes. He's been doing this since MGS2? Certainly since MGS4. It's just too much for a sitting without giving a player some sort of warning it's about to happen.

But no, IMO the ending won't turn a game someone likes into one they dislike...or turn a game someone dislikes into one they suddenly love. I was expecting to not like this game. Ended up liking it quite a bit.

Voke

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The Chiral Artist was already the most awkward part of the game, but then I read the email and LOL this shit is cringe.Like damn what was the whole point of that shit?

Mack

Banned
May 30, 2019
The Chiral Artist was already the most awkward part of the game, but then I read the email and LOL this shit is cringe.Like damn what was the whole point of that shit?
You mean the marriage is awful email? Yep, cringe.
Also, how do I make the text blurry like some of you guys, instead of marking spoilers?

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
Man, so I am really digging this game. Like.... I REALLY like it. I didn't think this game would be "fun" but it is enjoyable. It's very satisfying to find the most effective way to traverse the environment and complete orders with high ratings.

I love how they've basically taken the message system from Dark Souls and stretched it into an entire game. The amount of positive reinforcement I get from getting likes is addicting. I love knowing that I've helped people out in their game just like I love letting people know how much they've helped me.

The game overall is extremely upbeat despite its bleak world so far. Almost every character is so grateful to you and encouraging.

This is good... isn't it?

My only complaint is that there isn't a photo mode., what a travesty.
Same for me. I also wish you had an option to skip the smaller animation cutscenes by default after a certain point. Or at least ones you've already seen before.

and if they weren't going to add a photo mode, why not give me an option to disable the tool tips that sit on the screen for minutes, making me wait an excruciating amount of time to take a screenshot sometimes.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
I thought the backtracking in chapter 5 was bad, but chapter 6 holy shit. At this point I'm just going to craft shitton of PCC and litter the map with ziplines, like, everywhere. Heck I'm going to devote a part of my time just carrying 400kg of PCC in a truck and nothing else, and put zipline poles everywhere. I'm tired of this bullshit back n forth.

s0l0kill

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
here's my thoughts on the ending. i genuinely think it's a spectacular ending.

which is good, because the game almost lost me by that point with all the ridiculous exposition right before. obviously big spoilers in the article itself, not in the headline or anything.

i haven't been able to stop thinking about it
A lovely article!, I enjoyed it.
I agree the ending did a great job at cementing who Sam was and who he wants to be and how the theme of the past coming back to haunt us truly manifest in the world and in Sam himself.
Honestly, one of the best stories in recent memory, it takes a bit to get going, but when it does it's glorious.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
"My body is 70% dead"

what the fuck does that even mean. He looks completely normal aside from the scar

Datrael

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
So, I just finished chapter 3 yesterday, which was epic. I'm at like 25 hours, with around 36 Legend of Legends rankings, porter level 210 or around that.

I have a question regarding the map:

So I can now see the end of the map for chapter three/4, it includes the mountains and what not, to the west. I assume there is one more map, bringing the total to three big maps. I'm I correct in my assumption? How many chapters to go till I go to the last map?

s0l0kill

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So, I just finished chapter 3 yesterday, which was epic. I'm at like 25 hours, with around 36 Legend of Legends rankings, porter level 210 or around that.

I have a question regarding the map:

So I can now see the end of the map for chapter three/4, it includes the mountains and what not, to the west. I assume there is one more map, bringing the total to three big maps. I'm I correct in my assumption? How many chapters to go till I go to the last map?
There is one more small area that's not on the map but otherwise the map of chapter 3 is the main one

LuisGarcia

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I thought the backtracking in chapter 5 was bad, but chapter 6 holy shit. At this point I'm just going to craft shitton of PCC and litter the map with ziplines, like, everywhere. Heck I'm going to devote a part of my time just carrying 400kg of PCC in a truck and nothing else, and put zipline poles everywhere. I'm tired of this bullshit back n forth.

I love creating zip line networks. One of the best parts of the game for me.

Chapter 5 I had it set up so I could travel to pretty much everywhere in the new section by zip wire.