• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
I've still never played Knack and at this point I never will.

Is that the type of ambivalence we're looking for?

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
I had a weird dream last night. Kept hearing Apocalyptica's Path and i was playing Death Stranding, and turns out it deceived all of us because in my dream it was a 3D arena fighting game, Sam Porter was super OP and at one point he was fighting Superman. Everything felt super hyped. Lmfao.

The wait is killing me.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
I get the feeling some people have way too much personal investment riding on how this game does.
In my defense...I will admit I am way too invested, but it's just because I'm really really looking forward to something new to play. Gaming slump is killing me and I need another God of War moment to get me out of it.

everytime I turn on my PS4 to play something I just go "nah, and watch One Piece" lol

RhaZo

Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo, SP - Brazil
I'm playing the game since last Friday and I'm completely absorved.

It has some flaws but overall I couln't think about anything than my deliveries.

I think this game will be very divisive and definitely can't preview the scores.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
A lot is riding on this game for Kojima too, a title to shut up the haters for good.
You realize there's already an option select for people who have this irrational hatred for him, right?

1: Game is reviewed well and widely loved by gamers.

>Cult of Kojima

2: Game reviews mixed, mixed to negative reception from gamers

>HACK FRAUD

I knew people here were truly unhinged when they started saying that people were just pretending to be excited for this game when the release date trailer came out.

Oct 20, 2019
St. Petersburg, Russia
In the spoiler thread i remembered it was 3. The 5/10 guy after he beat the game said it was a 9. I don't know. I'll have to check again.
The only 5/10 guy scored it after he already beat the game. The 9/10 guy was kinda underwhelmed at first but then got excited and liked the game after he beat it.
And then there was Shirrako who was going to score it with 8 when he was playing about 10 hours. He said the score was not final though

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
So it picks up towards the end huh? Sounds to me like Death Stranding could be the Final Fantasy XIII of walking simulators.
No,the guy who gave a 9 never gave a "preview" score.
I'm playing the game since last Friday and I'm completely absorved.

It has some flaws but overall I couln't think about anything than my deliveries.

I think this game will be very divisive and definitely can't preview the scores.
I want to believe it, but I want evidence.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You realize there's already an option select for people who have this irrational hatred for him, right?

1: Game is reviewed well and widely loved by gamers.

>Cult of Kojima

2: Game reviews mixed, mixed to negative reception from gamers

>HACK FRAUD

I knew people here were truly unhinged when they started saying that people were just pretending to be excited for this game when the release date trailer came out.
Gamers™

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
A lot is riding on this game for Kojima too, a title to shut up the haters for good.
All 5 mainline MGS titles are multi million selling, 90+ metacritic scoring, GOTY winning games and the haters still call him a fraud/hack.

I don't see how another multi million selling, 90+ metacritic scoring, GOTY winning Kojima game would change their mind.

kiaaa

Oct 27, 2017
All 5 mainline MGS titles are multi million selling, 90+ metacritic scoring, GOTY winning games and the haters still call him a fraud/hack.

I don't see how another multi million selling, 90+ metacritic scoring, GOTY winning Kojima game would change their mind.

Yeah, even if this game was critically panned, an honest person would call it a misfire at worst.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
I can tell you it's not a new genre. It's a new take on open world games, and there are some mechanics in it that are unique in their implementation, but it's not a new genre.
Isn't that kinda a new genre? If other development studios start imitating the systems here, I would count it as a new genre. Like BoTW isn't a new genre, but I certainly think it's influenced game designers to think different on open-world building.

Oct 27, 2017
Isn't that kinda a new genre? If other development studios start imitating the systems here, I would count it as a new genre. Like BoTW isn't a new genre, but I certainly think it's influenced game designers to think different on open-world building.
maybe I'm reaching. But don't you think elements of MGS Vs emergent gameplay influenced how games like BOTW approached its open world design?

Deleted member 58846

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 28, 2019
No, not really. Like The Witcher 3's take on open worlds has inspired a slew of titles following in its footsteps, such as the new Assassin's Creed games or Horizon: Zero Dawn, but you wouldn't call Witcher (or Assassin's Creed or Horizon) a new genre. They're just open world action RPGs following a specific format.

Death Stranding has a very specific set of new mechanics that potentially could become big, much like how Demon's Souls' mechanics eventually did. But Demon's Souls wasn't called a new genre at the time any more than Death Stranding should.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
No, not really. Like The Witcher 3's take on open worlds has inspired a slew of titles following in its footsteps, such as the new Assassin's Creed games or Horizon: Zero Dawn, but you wouldn't call Witcher (or Assassin's Creed or Horizon) a new genre. They're just open world action RPGs following a specific format.

Death Stranding has a very specific set of new mechanics that potentially could become big, much like how Demon's Souls' mechanics eventually did. But Demon's Souls wasn't called a new genre at the time any more than Death Stranding should.
Souls like is a thing, maybe not officially a genre but that's what everyone call them.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Depends what you call a genre. For instance "Souls" isn't really a new genre, it just did a few interesting things that other games picked up on.

JoJo'sDentCo

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
I had a weird dream last night. Kept hearing Apocalyptica's Path and i was playing Death Stranding, and turns out it deceived all of us because in my dream it was a 3D arena fighting game, Sam Porter was super OP and at one point he was fighting Superman. Everything felt super hyped. Lmfao.

The wait is killing me.
That's awesome lol. Fighting Superman?!?!?

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017

The wait is killing me.

Thanks for reminding us we have no Superman game asshole.

=((

Literally gonna have to buy dbz kakarot just to fly around as a super powered being.

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for reminding us we have no Superman game asshole.

=((

Literally gonna have to buy dbz kakarot just to fly around as a super powered being.

Just get Gravity Rush 2
giphy.gif

Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
Spoiler thread getting too hot now. What's the latest in terms of spoiler free gameplay impressions? Any more people really love it? Hate it?

Also any word on when this game ships to stores here in the US?

Status
Not open for further replies.