• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It's okay if someone thinks Death stranding is dogshit, I disagree, but it's a valid opinion. For the same reason thinking a review for death stranding is dogshit is another valid opinion. Shitty games exist, shitty reviews exist too.
would two shits cancel each other out?

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't played the game much yet as I am replaying RE3 and finishing some other smaller games for the 52 challenge. What I played was good though and I can't wait to return and play it.

What I find weird however is the amount of people somehow believing that people can't enjoy the game. Not just on this forum (there are way worse comments on other places on the internet). Reminds me a bit of Days Gone when some people believed the game will fail and wont be liked by most people cause "zombies are overdone".

Congratulations to Control and Death Stranding.

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely give it a shot. I've seen, I don't know, 2-3 hours of cutscenes for the 30 hours I've been playing. It drip feeds traversal wrinkles and it is satisfying to play. Very "gamey," if that makes sense.
I think you would enjoy the game, then.

Well hmmm. I was under the impression it was just a lot of walking and a crazy-ass story and setting. Perhaps I will check it out some day.

exstuhsey

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Dec 7, 2019
User Warned: Drive-by trolling
Ahhh i love the taste of tears and a pinch of Era salt in the morning, Congrats to Death Stranding and KojiPro for an amazing game, Game of the Year 2019 indeed.

Sorel

Oct 27, 2017
The responses in this thread prove that this medium is still for children. So many salty babies crying because a video game site didn't award (or nominate) a mediocre at best game with game of the year.

At least they can take solace in believing that random internet voting meaning something.
Really my friend ? You don't see the irony in your post ?
If you don't, here it is, you're the children, you were it all along.

The GOAT

Nov 2, 2017
I had only a passive interest in Death Standing up to release. Only bought it out of curiosity really. One of my favorite games of the year, definitely in my top 3.

MrS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Death Stranding is sublime, glad it won the People's Choice GOTY. Definitely my GOTY.

Plum

May 31, 2018
And the fact the system could be gamed via a little effort doesn't mean it was.

The safest assumption, by FAR, is that enough people just thought it was their GoTY.

The idea that it was gamed IS conspiracy nonsense mate, and nothing you have written changes that.

I'm not saying it was definitely gamed

I'm saying that the fact that the system could be gained, alongside the very-public controversy surrounding Death Stranding and IGN, means that the results of said system are not gospel to myself. If you want to see that as conspiratorial thinking that is, for some reason, "above me," then that's on you and not me. It does just as much to convince me of being in the wrong as "Kojima hater," did before.

Of course now that personal attacks are happening I'm saying that anyone who does declare that they thought it was gamed should have the right to do so; they're just as knowing of the facts as you or any of us are, after all. Saying "well done," is just as much an assumption as saying "this is bullshit."

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not saying it was definitely gamed

I'm saying that the fact that the system could be gained, alongside the very-public controversy surrounding Death Stranding and IGN, means that the results of said system are not gospel to myself. If you want to see that as conspiratorial thinking that is, for some reason, "above me," then that's on you and not me. It does just as much to convince me of being in the wrong as "Kojima hater," did before.

Of course now that personal attacks are happening I'm saying that anyone who does declare that they thought it was gamed should have the right to do so; they're just as knowing of the facts as you or any of us are, after all. Saying "well done," is just as much an assumption as saying "this is bullshit."
You ARE pushing CT nonsense this entire time simply by pushing the thread of discussion.

OSHAN

Oct 27, 2017
I was recently explaining DS to my friend who has interest in the game, saying I had a large delivery which had a 45 minute time requirement; 25 minutes into the delivery I get to a river and I realized I forgot to pack a couple ladders. My stamina is really low but the terrain says it is passable, so I figure I'd wade across; stamina is so low I get swept up by the current and all my damn cargo floats down and the stuff on my back breaks against the rocks, and I was fucking pissed.

I reloaded a save, packed a couple ladders, got to around the same area, but a slightly different path, and I'm thinking, where is that river? For whatever reason, didn't bother pulling up the map, and walked up a hill crest, and it was a direct drop into the goddamn river, and I unwittingly stepped right over the ledge and fell into the river.

My friend says "that doesn't sound very fun," and it wasn't, yet, I kept playing. What does that have to do with this thread? Nothing, really, just wanted to share a DS story.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Digging in post history are we now? I remember you from way back on the IGN Boards having routinely meltdowns each week on the PS3 boards. Let's say just say you should consider yourself lucky that we no longer have access to 00s/early 10s post history over there.

Lol, this is super ironic given how super salty and invested in this you appear to be, in constantly reiterating over and over again how this is merely a result of fanboys, not the merits of the actual game.

To that point, have you played the game?

SuperYlvis said:
IGN is bigger than most sites by a hefty margin.

Gaming sites shouldn't have Goty polls period. Fanboys are just going to vote on their system of choice. So Sony fanboys are automatically going to vote for Death Stranding, even though they played better games.This is on stupid fanboys, not IGN. Though, IGN shouldn't have made the poll in the first place.

SuperYlvis said:
I'm not sure what is worse. People voting death stranding as a revenge for IGN's score, or the moderator's actions. Both pathetic, so I'm not sure what the OP's agenda is.

SuperYlvis said:
Player's votes are irrelevant anyway, since there are so many fanboys voting for their system of choice's exclusive games, rather than what they actually believe is their best choice. System wars at its finest.

SuperYlvis said:
Probably won because of angry fanboys being angry over the score IGN gave it. System wars at full display. Luckily no one cares about people's choice awards.

They most likely are, thinking anything else is being naive. The game was not initially in the poll but was later added, which garnered extra hype and anger from fanboys. Toppled with the fact that IGN gave it a low score and you have an assembly of angry fanboys skewing the poll like no tomorrow.

Thinking otherwise would be taking the term naive to a whole new level.

Fanboys being fanboys, simple as that. Being a part of the IGN Boards community for the better part of the 00s, I can safely say that the IGN community is largely consisting of fanboys. Just look at the IGN Death Stranding review. The like/dislike bar is at a 50/50 split and has been since BEFORE the game released. How did all those people know IGN was wrong in giving it a 6.8 when they hadn't played it? You know the answer.

Explain IGN's Death Stranding review having a 50/50 split in likes/dislikes before the game was even released. I'm eagerly awaiting your spin for that one.

That's my point, IGN consists largely of fanboys who would absolutely rally to a poll just to skew it in their favor. Don't fucking lol me.

Yes, is it seriously that hard to believe? Death Stranding fanboys were angry as fuck after the whole 6.8 thingy, hence assembling to win the poll. I can guarantee you that a significant amount of those voters are people who very rarely visit IGN.

That's exactly my point, IGN (and other sites) being crowded with fanboys. You're just making my point even stronger.

Dec 6, 2017
US
I'm a gameplay first, story/characters waaaaaaaay second kinda guy. Death Stranding does not appeal to me for that reason. The discussion has been a fun ride though.

Did you end up playing it? I'm not asking to be a snarky ass, I'm asking because I'm 100% gameplay first guy, always have been and always will be, and DS is nothing like I expected and I'm like 70 hours in. I loved MGSV for how hands-off and emergent it was, basically a huge gameplay sandbox (quite literally I guess), and DS is like a weird, cool mutation of that game's design philosophy in my opinion in that it really goes in on the highly designed open world "level" approach.

Again, not trying to be smartass if you did play it already but ironically it's basically the exact opposite of what people call a walking simulator...despite simulating walking....

Well hmmm. I was under the impression it was just a lot of walking and a crazy-ass story and setting. Perhaps I will check it out some day.

Sorry, hadn't read this part before making the post above!

And no, the game has a boatload of options in gadgets, weapons and vehicles, much like if MGSV hadn't been focused on combat as much but rather on traversal and reconstruction. I think play styles can vary vastly, it's that type of game, and much of it can be avoided probably entirely if you blast through the main missions, again, much like MGSV. I think the gameplay is so weirdly compelling and addictive though, I love to play around and creativity and playfulness is very much rewarded in that, well again much like MGSV, you can kind of do what you can think of within the world's rule set logically. The actual mechanics may be simple but the interplay between all of it is fantastic and leaves a lot of room for creativity.

Also in regards to cutscene vs gameplay, I think that highly depends again how you play the game. I've been indulgent in the game's version of side quests and the whole idea of reconstructing and rebuilding the landscape and I think I didn't see a fucking story cutscene for like 20 hours at one point. Maybe if you plow through the main quests it feels like a lot but the game really entices you to mess around and explore.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
Interesting!

So it won even after only being added to the list several thousand votes later (effectively making it seem rigged against DS, heh).

It's my GOTY as well; super fun gameplay loop and the story really got me by the end.

Also, the US IGN review for this is indeed pretty bad. I'm not going to trash the reviewer, but its a shame how poorly their attempts at playing the game appeared, so much so that it was practically a "how not to play Death Stranding" kind of article / video.

Of course, immediately after the review we got dozens of IGN posts about DS because it was the popular thing getting clicks for a good while...

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I haven't played and can't bring myself to but what do people like about this game? From everything I've seen it looks like the gameplay looks monotonous, the mission structure looks like boring fetch quests, the menus seem like a chore, the story seems poor, the lore incomprehensible, the dialogue laughable, the product placement cringe worthy, and the combat piss-easy.

so why is it so many people's game of the year?

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
There are multiple vehicles/modes of transportation, a hilarious amount of different guns/grenades to unlock, items/gadgets, upgrades, boss fights, async multiplayer, buildable items, easter eggs, etc. It's a proper gamey-game.

I haven't played and can't bring myself to but what do people like about this game? From everything I've seen it looks like the gameplay looks monotonous, the mission structure looks like boring fetch quests, the menus seem like a chore, the story seems poor, the lore incomprehensible, the dialogue laughable, the product placement cringe worthy, and the combat piss-easy.

For me? It's challenging, tense and just fun. And the fun is found in unexpected ways.

Then there's the jaw-dropping graphics, the story, the characters and their performances, the "twists", the gadgets/unlockables, the polish and attention to detail, the length and amount of content in one package. It's an extremely well-put-together game. And it's unlike anything else I've ever played. It definitely has it's shortcomings, mainly in the dialogue for me, but overall they weren't enough to diminish the amount of fun to be had.

Plum

May 31, 2018
I was recently explaining DS to my friend who has interest in the game, saying I had a large delivery which had a 45 minute time requirement; 25 minutes into the delivery I get to a river and I realized I forgot to pack a couple ladders. My stamina is really low but the terrain says it is passable, so I figure I'd wade across; stamina is so low I get swept up by the current and all my damn cargo floats down and the stuff on my back breaks against the rocks, and I was fucking pissed.

I reloaded a save, packed a couple ladders, got to around the same area, but a slightly different path, and I'm thinking, where is that river? For whatever reason, didn't bother pulling up the map, and walked up a hill crest, and it was a direct drop into the goddamn river, and I unwittingly stepped right over the ledge and fell into the river.

My friend says "that doesn't sound very fun," and it wasn't, yet, I kept playing. What does that have to do with this thread? Nothing, really, just wanted to share a DS story.

Mine would be when I was trying to cross a large river. For some reason I completely forgot about how the stamina mechanics worked and my dumbass felt right into the river and flailed about like an idiot. My important cargo started floating on downstream and right to the very edge of the map where it got caught at one of the most unique structures in the game. If that hadn't happened then I would have never gone down there but, since it did, I had an experience that the game didn't ask of me that I still enjoyed.

Again, this is signed the "Kojima hater." :P

You ARE pushing CT nonsense this entire time simply by pushing the thread of discussion.

It does just as much to convince me of being in the wrong as "Kojima hater," did before.

Of course "It" here refers to the posts like this that just say I'm posting conspiracy theory nonsense. They do nothing because the don't even represent a proper argument, just claims that I 100% know are wrong.

Salpal

Oct 25, 2017
Digging in post history are we now? I remember you from way back on the IGN Boards having routinely meltdowns each week on the PS3 boards. Let's say just say you should consider yourself lucky that we no longer have access to 00s/early 10s post history over there.

Lol. I was around IGN in those days, too, and I don't recall any "meltdowns" from nib. He was pretty active there and pretty passionate about what he did and did not like but meltdowns? I don't think so. But I guess you can frame it that way when the posts don't exist anymore.

Anyways, I'm out of the loop. I wish I knew this poll existed so I could have voted in it. Glad to see DS take it.

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Yikes is right, it was a bad review supported by gameplay clips that were either staged or proof of someone not having learned how to play. I don't care about the score, I care about representing the game as what it is, not overemphasising small annoyances while being unable to talk about the nuances of the gameplay. I'll say it again, that review was dogshit.
just because you didn't like a review does not make it dog shit. speaking using such hyperbole as tho their experience isn't valid because they didn't play the game ""right"" is silly and just makes you look like a disgruntled fan

ericsp17

Oct 27, 2017

Thats pretty much exactly what it is. I enjoyed the walking/traversal and setting. Actively disliked the story and quite a few characters (though there are a couple great ones). The cutscenes are backloaded, so you play ALOT of the early parts without too much story.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Your post made me think about something.
Honestly I liked this years a lot and even though DS is my clear goty there's a lot of games I liked and worthy of the distinction. I'm not too sure personally for control but still, Sekiro was incredible, will always remember the first time I fought some of these bosses, The resurrection of the Ape, the sound appearance of the ape, Im' disappointed there hasn't been any DLC though. RE 2 was great too. We.The.Revolution. Borderlands 3, etc...

It's been a really great year for games.

astro

Oct 25, 2017

Read the OT and you'll find tonnes of impressions for this.

The story is messy but pays off in a big way at multiple points including the end.

Gameplay is a great mix of loadout preparation, planning routes, engaging with mechnics as you execute your plan.

Combat is like an environmental hazard, it is not the focus in this game at all.

The world building and lore is one of the game's strongest points.

The VA is really, really strong across the board. Some of the perfomances in this game are actually incredible.

It has flaws, this is for sure. Dialogue suffers the same say all Kojima games bar MGS1 do. The story has pacing issues and some pretty silly moments. The combat (when you are forced to engage at certain points) can be janky at times and is nowhere as refined as MGSV.

The gameplay, though, is pretty much MGSV's combat transposed to route planning and delivery execution. It is very much a game you need to play to understand if it will hook you. It does not translate well via footage, at all.

ErrorJustin

Oct 28, 2017
The "controversy" wasn't real, FYI. Dunno if any IGN staff have weighed in on this, but in case they haven't -

IGN commenter mods are just power users, not staff, and a mod made some over-zealous replies to people.

Our people's choice poll ended at the same time our winners go up, as it does ever year (at least in the eight years I've been here).

No one on staff is bothered or concerned with whether the people's choice winner matches the IGN staff winner or not. Sometimes it does but often they don't. I personally ran Game of the Year for many years, and we actually bent over backwards to make the People's Choice voting more inclusive - we'd do things like watch the write-ins and if any write-in was gaining traction we'd add it into the People's Choice poll for example.

IGN as a staff has diverse opinions. Lots of people really liked Death Stranding, including members of our senior Editorial leadership. And plenty more people didn't like it. Ultimately, after a very close vote, Control was voted GOTY and we're all very proud of the pick, even if it wasn't everyone's personal pick.

For people's choice, we review the votes and crown the audience winner. No fuss or drama involved.

exstuhsey

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Dec 7, 2019
There are multiple vehicles/modes of transportation, a hilarious amount of different guns/grenades to unlock, items/gadgets, upgrades, boss fights, async multiplayer, buildable items, easter eggs, etc. It's a proper gamey-game.

For me? It's challenging, tense and just fun. And the fun is found in unexpected ways.

Then there's the jaw-dropping graphics, the story, the characters and their performances, the "twists", the gadgets/unlockables, the polish and attention to detail, the length and amount of content in one package. It's an extremely well-put-together game. And it's unlike anything else I've ever played. It definitely has it's shortcomings, mainly in the dialogue for me, but overall they weren't enough to diminish the amount of fun to be had.
And Not buggy, unlike some games(looking at you Fallen Order)

piratethingy

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So is this game on sale anywhere yet or what? I want to play it but I have such a hard time justifying $60 for a game I know I'll regret not owning on PC when it releases there.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
I've yet to play the game, but the irony of reading this threads while the game thematics seems to be about positive connections, is pretty strong.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Mine would be when I was trying to cross a large river. For some reason I completely forgot about how the stamina mechanics worked and my dumbass felt right into the river and flailed about like an idiot. My important cargo started floating on downstream and right to the very edge of the map where it got caught at one of the most unique structures in the game. If that hadn't happened then I would have never gone down there but, since it did, I had an experience that the game didn't ask of me that I still enjoyed.

Again, this is signed the "Kojima hater." :P

Of course "It" here refers to the posts like this that just say I'm posting conspiracy theory nonsense. They do nothing because the don't even represent a proper argument, just claims that I 100% know are wrong.
The chances that people just liked this game enough is far more likely than anything else.

CT nonsense about gamed systems remains just that.

Plum

May 31, 2018
I've yet to play the game, but the irony of reading this threads while the game thematics seems to be about positive connections, is pretty strong.

That's because people haven't been delivering as much as they should.

Me personally I'm not going to be joining the United Forums of Era until they deliver me my goddamn pizza. Those fuckers can stay at 0.5 stars for all I care they ain't getting any of my Internet Bandwidth.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
So is this game on sale anywhere yet or what? I want to play it but I have such a hard time justifying $60 for a game I know I'll regret not owning on PC when it releases there.
At this point - in your case - it's probably just worth waiting for PC. If you have avoided spoilers this far, you probably will until then.

Lonestar

Roll Tahd, Pawl
Oct 25, 2017
I really enjoyed Death Stranding, and it would fit in my top 5, maybe my top 3, with Shadowbringers being my #1.

Plum

May 31, 2018
The chances that people just liked this game enough is far more likely than anything else.

CT nonsense about gamed systems remains just that.

I mean what do you want me to say?

"Yes, you're right, my skepticism is Flat Earth-level nonsense despite none of us actually knowing anything. Your assumptions are 100% correct."

Because that's what you've kind of been accusing me of wanting others to say. I don't care if you or anyone else thinks I'm a conspiracy nut because I know I'm not and have seen no decent evidence for why I might actually be one.

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
Anyway this thread's well was poisoned from the get go, both by those who thought IGN has a vendetta against DS, and those who assert DS only won as a troll choice. Not much to be gained here.

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
Lol, this is super ironic given how super salty and invested in this you appear to be, in constantly reiterating over and over again how this is merely a result of fanboys, not the merits of the actual game.

To that point, have you played the game?
" Luckily no one cares about people's choice awards." The amount of effort here says otherwise.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I mean what do you want me to say?

"Yes, you're right, my skepticism is Flat Earth-level nonsense despite none of us actually knowing anything. Your assumptions are 100% correct."

Because that's what you've kind of been accusing me of wanting others to say. I don't care if you or anyone else thinks I'm a conspiracy nut because I know I'm not and have seen no decent evidence for why I might actually be one.
The simple fact is, the likeliest outcome is that enough people just liked it as their GotY.

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
What's with the salt? Can't we just praise we get really unique games like this one and praise it for that? Why is that hard?