M. Wallace

Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
AI looks stupid in that first video. I still don't really know what the gameplay loop(lol) is supposed to be other than hunting down some people with a time limit or something

There is no time limit. From a post earlier:

Just to clear up this misconception, it's not on a timer. There are four stages (as far as I can tell?) and you can load into any of them at four different times of day. But once you're in a stage, time doesn't pass. There is no clock. You could enter a stage in 'morning' and spend twenty hours in there and it would still be morning.

The puzzle is doing all of the kills in 'a day' but 'a day' isn't any kind of timer. It's just cracking the puzzle so that you're doing x amount in one stage set to 'morning', exiting that stage and then loading into a different stage set to 'noon' etc etc.

once you've done a stage at a certain time setting ('afternoon' for example) you can't go back to an earlier time without resetting the whole day. That's the puzzle. But it's more about the sequence rather than a timer.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
The trailers made it seem like it would be more interesting than just a standard FPS but this doesn't look like anything special at all. I thought it was going to be more similar to Dishonored but it looks more like COD. Not my thing at all.

At this point everyone writing stuff like this is straight up trolling

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
This is going to be a love it or hate it game.

Once you accept the core concept is solving the puzzle of figuring out how to kill all the Visionaries in a single run, you may appreciate what it is trying to do.

I'm not sure the trailers or marketing sold the puzzle aspect of the game well, however.

Charismagik

Oct 27, 2017
There is no time limit. From a post earlier:
That's good. I can't stand time limited games. I was kind of thinking it was like majora's mask in a way

It's kind of like a meta puzzle in how you choose to take out different targets and in what order, I believe. This isn't a typical guns blazing Call of Duty-esque FPS campaign, the AI "trash mobs" are a deterrent but the challenge lies in the situations and how you resolve them while also being hunted down by Julianna.

It looks like the kind of game where it would be incredibly frustrating if the regular enemies were any smarter/tactical. They're just there to distract you IMO.

Arkane didn't make a typical FPS game here and that's a good thing, I trust them to have balanced the game right and that may look different from what we expect from traditional FPS games.
I see. I'm all for something different. Gonna wait and see more impressions

s y

Nov 8, 2017
After seeing the non advertised parts of the game I get why there were so many trailers. Legit arkane's most ambitious title.

I would not want to be on the marketing team for it lol. Such a difficult task.

Deleted member 32005

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
lol, wait, is this not a multiplayer game? base on the trailer i thought this was some kind battle royal or something.

Poldino

Oct 27, 2020
The trailers made it seem like it would be more interesting than just a standard FPS but this doesn't look like anything special at all. I thought it was going to be more similar to Dishonored but it looks more like COD. Not my thing at all.
You couldn't be more wrong, this has nothing to do with COD and shooting it's not even the most important part of the game. There's much more attention to puzzle solving and investigation, after 4 hours in the pace of the game feels very similar to an Hitman game

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
lol, wait, is this not a multiplayer game? base on the trailer i thought this was some kind battle royal or something.
5JM.gif

Neoleo2143

Oct 27, 2017
It's kind of like a meta puzzle in how you choose to take out different targets and in what order, I believe. This isn't a typical guns blazing Call of Duty-esque FPS campaign, the AI "trash mobs" are a deterrent but the challenge lies in the situations and how you resolve them while also being hunted down by Julianna.

It looks like the kind of game where it would be incredibly frustrating if the regular enemies were any smarter/tactical. They're just there to distract you IMO.

Arkane didn't make a typical FPS game here and that's a good thing, I trust them to have balanced the game right and that may look different from what we expect from traditional FPS games.

This makes no sense with how the game is actually laid out though. it's not like these enemies are particularly threatening enough to even be a minor distraction I would think. Once you're in the level, it's basicallu a dishonored level with soft time limits and there too the AI had issues handling the level design and player moveset. That Arkane seemingly hasn't addressed this particular issue is disappointing for something more combat-oriented.

Deleted member 32005

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017

there were a lot of trailers and none of them said anything about it being a multiplayer game beyond the invasion mechanic lol

LMAO hey dont blame me for vague marketing! i literally thought the selling point was this was arkane's foray into the multiplayer space. maybe if they showed more gameplay and less high concept trailers.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
LMAO hey dont blame me for vague marketing! i literally thought the selling point was this was arkane's foray into the multiplayer space. maybe if they showed more gameplay and less high concept trailers.
Like non of the trailers even make it close to showing that it maybe is a br game. Sorry

SilkySm00th

Oct 31, 2017
Marketing for this game has been dubious at best. A more "Hitman" like experience in a looped 70s sci-fi cat and mouse love story seems like a pretty easy sell. If they've been hiding that stuff out of concerns for plot or something i'm not sure that was the best idea. If you would have asked me before reading this thread I would have said it's like a Dishonored game only with a kind of creepy bioshock "elite island of weirdos" setting.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany

Legit one of the most nonsense things i´ve read about this game.

Hint: the game is fucking good. this is Dishonored on steroids, infused with some Prey Mooncrash and trippy vibes.

Gero

Oct 28, 2017
Are we know the exact embargo time? I guess its 2PM CEST since thats the new zealand release time?

Winnie

Mar 12, 2020
This makes no sense with how the game is actually laid out though. it's not like these enemies are particularly threatening enough to even be a minor distraction I would think. Once you're in the level, it's basicallu a dishonored level with soft time limits and there too the AI had issues handling the level design and player moveset. That Arkane seemingly hasn't addressed this particular issue is disappointing for something more combat-oriented.

They have adressed that:

They said, in response to a question about the difficulty: "There is no difficulty option, but we have an adaptive difficulty system. As you can play the same maps several times at different moments of your play-through, we had to think about a system that can make the game challenging the more you play. If the NPCs accuracy is forgiven at the beginning, they will be more accurate, aggressive, and reactive the more you perform."

They don't want the game to be frustrating, it's a puzzle game at it's core. If while you figure the puzzle have to deal with high level enemies and the possibility of a player invading you, it would be a really frustrating game.

Source:
gameranx.com

Deathloop Won't Have Difficulty Options, But Adaptive Difficulty - Gameranx

The upcoming Deathloop won't let you pick how hard it is, but it will change depending on how well you play it.

Sep 14, 2018
There are no time limits, soft or not. The common enemies being mostly cannon fodder is deliberate to keep the game from frustrating players who want to get on with the main quest. Enemies can also be controlled/directed by Julianna players so if they were smarter you'd never stand a chance against her.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany

Exactly. as soon as Julianna enters your game you are glad that the trash mobs are not that smart...you can turn off that someone enters your game but i think thats not the intended option for this experience. takes away all the tension.

Mar 19, 2021
Getting my copy tomorrow morning, I will power through this no matter what. Never clicked with Arkane's games but I will force myself to click with this if I have to lol, want to understand what makes them so beloved

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
There are so many things you can criticise Deathloop's marketing for but being vague is definitely not one of them lmao

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
No 😗

But one thing I'm surprised isn't talked about enough just from the known aspects is what happens when you take Arkanes general "will the game let me do this?" design and add in coop 🤯

I guess there's nothing stopping both players teaming up instead of fighting and going against the AI? is that what this is getting at?

Shaz12567

Jun 7, 2021
This is 100% Dishonored with a time loop. Shocked at how much like Dishonored 3 it feels actually. If you love Dishonored you'll love this I think.
Haven't watched anything regarding this game due to no spoilers. Do we get magic powers and teleport like in Dishonored? Both Dishonored and Dishonored 2 (especially the former) are some of the best games I have ever played.

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom
It's tough and meh just watching it (i think just like Prey was)

i assume it's much better when you are in the drivers seat.

this was the failure of the early DeathLoop trailers and marketing.

i really thought the same for the longest time until i searched the game and read about it. the last couple of trailers also got more story focused.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Haven't watched anything regarding this game due to no spoilers. Do we get magic powers and teleport like in Dishonored? Both Dishonored and Dishonored 2 (especially the former) are some of the best games I have ever played.

Sure do. You literally get the teleport/blink thing

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
I'm not in the mood to pay a bonus for what will be much cheaper in a few months. Still, I'm sure it's a solid job and hopefully by BF the studio has ironed out some problems (zero excuses for no FOV customization on console).