• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DigitalRock

Banned for having an alt account
Banned
Jan 9, 2018
LOL Greenburg, why is it always seem to be MS that has the fucked up PR man.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't see how Xbox One could have it's best console share now that Nintendo's system is on fire compared to the Wii U being a lame duck.

Soprano

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
With revenue being the hot new spin i mean thing for NPD, pretty sure that's what "XB1 console share" means.

DigitalRock

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Jim Ryan (and in some ways Reggie) say hi.
Jim Ryan is just one, and nothing compared to what Major nelson, Greenberg, Pinello and Ybara and others were doing, especially during the X1 launch. IMo it's not even close to comparable, but that's off topic. I just find it fascinating, must be the culture there?

Soony Xbone Uhh

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In 2016, 31.5% of the yearly Xbox One sales came during the December period.
If 2017 is at least 32%, Xbox One sold above 1.3 million this December.

That would also fit, as he didn't mention best Xbox One December ever.

So maybe between 1.3 and 1.5 million Xbox One sold.

Last edited:

5Twist

Oct 27, 2017
I just caught wind of this "share" thing and I'm just as confused as confused as everyone else.

Obviously, the XB1 didn't have the biggest share for December because based on what Benji and Abdiel said, the Switch was the clear leading platform. So perhaps, Greenberg meant that the XB1 had its best December NPD ever. However. if that was the case, why didn't he just say that like for January 2017 NPD? Some suggested that he meant that December 2017 had its biggest share of the year compared to previous years, though it begs the question, is that really a good thing?

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is the controversy real?

I didn't think it would play out across the market at large but maybe I guess

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
My bet: it's historical revenue share vs ps4. Even when they won units handily their revenue share would have been lower in comparison due to heavy discounting, and now x1x boosting revenue percentage. But seems nobody let Greenberg know there's this thing called Switch from Nintendo he should also now factor in to his whirligigging.

Oct 26, 2017
It's a puzzle! If you counted the Wii U as a console, and the Switch as not-a-console, would the Wii U's numbers have been high enough in the Dec that XB1 won (with a 3 way split) to give them a higher % this year (with a 2 way split)?

Ryng™

Nov 2, 2017
Italy
So, looks like things are PROBABILY (i'm just speculate)

Switch > XB1 > PS4

That would be nothing unexpect, we knew that was gonna be a close month

DigitalRock

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Yea sony should have really kept the 249$ ps4 bundle the whole month. they for sure came in last.
Why is it "For Sure"? Also they had PS4 at 199 in Nov and it was sold out for awhile, they may not even had the stock to go to 199 again. Sony is fine, there WW lead is massive, one month in the US doesn;t change anything.

Liabe Brave

Professionally Enhanced
Oct 27, 2017
There's basically no way this works, either for revenue or units, if Switch is included. So that's why the word "console" is in there, to block out Switch as a hybrid or portable. (Similar to how Nintendo themselves had to define Switch as a home console and not portable, in order to make their "best first 10 months" statement.)

DigitalRock

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
I like how we need to analyse Greenbergs comments and try to decipher what they actually mean. Well payed Aaron.

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
So, looks like things are PROBABILY (i'm just speculate)

Switch > XB1 > PS4

That would be nothing unexpect, we knew that was gonna be a close month

Maybe, maybe not. Mat thinks revenue is a better metric: "you can't put units in the bank". We discussed this last month, stating it was possible to be in 3rd place in units but 2nd or 1st in revenue thanks to the expensive 1x. If Greenberg is talking about share, I'd lean towards him using revenue as the source of his info and not units, oh and possibly conveniently ignoring the Switch because reasons. Or maybe they sold a solid gold, diamond encrusted x1x to some celebrity dipshit :P
Maybe it means they got the bigger piece of the NPD pie chart?

And people here said my prediction was crazy
Which account was this under again, Chad?

I like how we need to analyse Greenbergs comments and try to decipher what they actually mean. Well payed Aaron.
Standard.

DigitalRock

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
For all we know Aaron is talking revenue. Hard to read much into his comments.