• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which should I choose as my main platform

• PS5

Votes: 1,114 61.5%
  • Series X

Votes: 510 28.2%
  • Thor: The Dark World

Votes: 187 10.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

iceblade

Oct 25, 2017
As the title says, I'm really struggling to decide between the two, and have been for a while now. I keep settling on one, then moving back to the other and could use help in trying to figure it out. Just to note (bolded for emphasis) I already own both

Series X pros:

Controller – It lasts a lot longer and has removable batteries so battery degradation isn't an issue over the long term (7+ years).

Quick Resume – It makes it much easier to juggle between games, especially since I tend to play multiple games at the same time, and thus don't have to deal with loading screens.

Game Pass – Day one releases make this a great value. It's one of the big things drawing me to Xbox, and I feel like I'd get a lot of value out of it. I will say that PS+ Extra is getting better though, but I find that I've often played (or bought) several of the games they announce, which is less frequent with Game Pass.

First party - Following from the above point, I prefer Microsoft's first party to Sony's. There are more studios that I'm partial to, and the games they tend to make (just in general I mean) suit my preferences more.

BC / enhancements – I do like replaying games, and there are several that are BC on Series X that I want to play but would need to use my PS3 for. It's a much more convenient solution, and I expect that once the next gen rolls around Microsoft will be doing the same thing in keeping BC and also boosting/improving the now current titles.

Ecosystem – I like the ecosystem as a whole. The free cloud saves, the emphasis on PC as well as Xbox (especially with Play Anywhere), the achievements for both platforms, and the OS of the system including things like a "surprise me' button to pick a game. All of it feels like it is geared (no pun intended) to just being a platform for play and letting you get into your game. Even simple things like moving a game in the background while playing another are convenient and helpful.

PS5 pros

Japanese games - I tend to play quite a few Japanese games and 2 of my 4 preorders for the rest of the year are Switch / PS4 titles. I did a count of the installed games on my system (about 100) and 30% of those were Japanese titles that aren't available on Xbox. If I'm on Playstation I don't have to worry about whether or not the games are coming over - especially the Square Enix ones.

Existing library – I already have most of my games on Playstation, so I don't have to worry about buying them or them being on a sub service and expiring before I can play them. I noticed this a lot – I wanted to play Kentucky Route Zero on Game Pass, for example, but it was taken off before I could play, whereas I already own it on PS4.

The other thing here is that I've still been buying games for Playstation despite mainly playing on Series X for the last year – the last 3 games I bought were PS-only titles, and FFXVI will be shipped to me this week. In other words, either way I'll still be in the PS ecosystem.

Physical games – This is a big one. I really like collecting physically, and Playstation is simply better for it. There are more games available physically (Spiritfarer for example), and it's far easier to play and use a physical game on PS5.

Trophies – I prefer the trophy system to Achievements, and trophies are a big reason why I have been playing on Playstation.

If I think about why I want to switch, it is because I feel like I get a better experience overall on Xbox, but I can't seem to decide since at the end of the day I'm still happy (if less so) with Playstation. I know both systems are about equal and there isn't a right answer here, but still. The best I've been able to come with is the following:

If I stay with PS5, things don't change and I just continue having the one box to play pretty much everything. The catch is I won't be making best use of the Xbox (and Game Pass), and I don't know how things will pan out once the generation ends as far as BC etc.

If I move to Xbox, I have a better experience overall, but at the cost of splitting my library and trophies which I'll still have to move back for. It'll also be more expensive as I'd have to pay 2 sub fees and I'm not sure if all of that is worth the time and effort to do so.

What would make more sense?

Last edited:

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I would say it depends on if you want Game Pass, but PS+ Extra is good too

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
All depends on your Game Pass usage, honestly. I tend to taste the entire rainbow of what it offers, so it makes no sense at all for me to get a PS5 until end of generation when I can get the exclusives bundled and/or on discount.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Cant really go wrong with either system, based on what you have written you ll be happy with either of them.
If you prefer MS first party to Sony though, there isnt much reason to not get a Series X.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
So you have a PS5 already, and don't have an Xbox yet, and are considering getting one? Just get one with Game Pass (either S or X depending on your budget/buy-in). If you regret it or leave it as your secondary platform you can easily "abandon it" unlike you would if you had a bunch of digital/disc purchases, which you likely will with PS5.

Felpsmbs

Sep 25, 2020
I was primarily a playstation gamer before this gen. Had every playstation console up until ps4 pro. Switched to series X this gen and dont plan on going back. Things will only get better once their first party studios start to pick up steam too.

JMS

Jul 22, 2022
I regret both my PS5 purchase and the Extra subscription, mainly due the lack of actual next-gen exclusives that aren't just remakes and the underwhelming PS Plus extra although monthly games were always solid.

Can't speak for Xbox as the last one I owned was 2 generations ago but gamepass is 100% a better deal easily.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
If you already have both consoles, buy your multiplatform games on Xbox and buy Japanese games/Exclusives on the PS5?

Neither subscription service is worth it year round to me and I just pick up a month when there's a game I'm interested in trying and not buying.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
If you have to choose just one PS5. Series X is a great system but in almost any situation unless the person I was recommending to just had a super huge attachment to first party Microsoft games like Gears I'd almost always suggest PS5.

Dis

Oct 27, 2017
It wasn't a hard choice for me. I had a series x almost a year before my ps5, got my ps5 and barely use the X since I did. I'd much rather have the vast majority of my games in one place and seeing as PlayStation often supports disc based copies far better than Xbox does that's the console I pick more games up on, be they disc or digital, to keep as many in one place as I can.

Plus PlayStation+ extra is just a far better service for me and my friends are on PlayStation so if I want to play with them, that's where we all are.

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
PS Plus Extra/Premium is no slouch either if Game Pass is a factor for you. Not nearly as much day one stuff of course but you get a ton of games regardless.

Praxis

Sausage Tycoon
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I have both and use the PS5 more to be honest. I find multilayer games have larger communities on PlayStation.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
^ Also this from Theorry. I personally DGAF about trophies/achievements, and if I had both platforms I'd buy the exclusives accordingly and buy the multiplatforms that either have no crossplay on the system my friends will play on (though that's typically PC these days), or whichever one performs better. If you have both just go with the flow and don't feel like you have to commit to a single platform.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
PS5 for exclusives, games that require a good d-pad, and any third party games that run better on the PS5.

Series X for exclusives (if you don't own a PC), backwards compatibility, gamepass, and any third party games that run better on Series X.

The days of sticking to one primary platform are over for me. Zero loyalty, just play wherever you're getting the best experience.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Either will be excellent.

If you lean toward enjoying one system's exclusive lineup more than the other, that's a good nudge in that direction, and if a particular service model (i.e., Game Pass) makes the offering better for how you play/shop, that's probably an even bigger bump.

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
I'm not sure many are reading your thread, but based on the criteria you laid out, Xbox.

Regardless, it seems you have both so I don't really see what difference it makes? Like, play where you play. Or, to put it another way, if you come home from a long day at the office, which controller do you instinctively reach for first? That's your primary platform.

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
I have both and a capable pc (3080), and I honestly play my series x and pc like 80% of the time vs Ps5. It's an exclusive machine and that's it for me. Play Anywhere titles have been amazing and the ecosystem just seems more seamless.if I could only have one this gen, I'd probably go ps5 for the exclusives since I can play anything else on pc.

danhz

Apr 20, 2018
I mean, if you like ms exclusives more, + game pass
There shouldnt be a doubt to you

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's a harder call this generation than it has been in previous years. I think Sony has more compelling exclusives, (Spider-man, Final Fantasy 7 Remake, God of War, Horizon, etc) but I think Xbox's ecosystem is better. (Gamepass can be gotten pretty cheap and gives a lot of great games essentially for free, Quick Resume is a great feature if you want to play multiple games at once.)
So it really boils down to what's going to be most important to you. I picked PS5 because I liked the exclusives, but honestly those have become less important to me over time and I do really like the Xbox ecosystem.

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
I chose PS5 and the biggest reason for it was physical games. There are a lot more and the DRM problem at the beginning on the gen soured me on buying physical games on Series X (guess it's not a problem anymore since they patched it). Also, Xbox releases kinda sucked when it comes to content on disc so that was a no-brainer.

Quick Resume is nice but loading times are so fast mostly it's almost a non-issue for both PS5 and Series X. Nice to have though.

I like the additional feedback on the Dualsense a lot and always use a docking station for my controllers so battery isn't an issue.

BC enhancements are nice on Xbox but not many 360 have them and PS4 games on PS5 are "enhanced" in a similar way (smoothing out the framerate). Bonus on Xbox though is that games on the Series X are using the One X version and AF16 is applied on most (non-enhanced) games so that's nice.

Like I said, I like my physical games which is why I use my PS5 as my main between the two. If there were no physical games though, I would choose Xbox over Playstation without even thinking about it.

jungius

Sep 5, 2021
I am xbox only user, but I would say ps5 mainly because many titles im interested on not appearing on xbox

also note that half or maybe 70% of gamepass day one releases are indies with many of them being dud

but if you say you like ms first party more then xbox is no doubt better for you

AceAlli

Oct 27, 2017
I was thinking Xbox when you said you prefer their first party games more, but then you went into the Japanese games being important and if that's the case the answer is PS5 without hesitation. You can play Xbox's first party games on so many devices for a relatively small cost as it is, so it doesn't make sense to lose out on so many of the Japanese games you enjoy by making the jump. PS5 and then any one of a number of devices with game pass when there's a first party game you want to play; that seems the simplest and most comprehensive route.

OP
OP
iceblade

iceblade

Oct 25, 2017

Why?

Steam.

EDIT: Oh, you want physical games. PS5 then, I guess.

Steam technically is the best option here, but I'd very much prefer playing on console and I'm not going to be coming back to PC as long as these GPU prices are as ridiculous as they have been.

Why?

So you have a PS5 already, and don't have an Xbox yet, and are considering getting one? Just get one with Game Pass (either S or X depending on your budget/buy-in). If you regret it or leave it as your secondary platform you can easily "abandon it" unlike you would if you had a bunch of digital/disc purchases, which you likely will with PS5.

I have both already.

I was primarily a playstation gamer before this gen. Had every playstation console up until ps4 pro. Switched to series X this gen and dont plan on going back. Things will only get better once their first party studios start to pick up steam too.

What did you do with your library of games? Did you wind up rebuying games on Series X or?

If you have to choose just one PS5. Series X is a great system but in almost any situation unless the person I was recommending to just had a super huge attachment to first party Microsoft games like Gears I'd almost always suggest PS5.

What makes you say PS5?

Naha-

Feb 6, 2019
If you already have both, I don't know why you are making a big deal out of the situation. There is no need to have a "primary" platform, just play Japanese games and the games you want physical with the PS5, and the rest with the Series X.

But if you really want to choose one over the other, then PS5. Xbox will never have the JRPG support that Sony has.

Jun 1, 2023
Japanese games - I tend to play quite a few Japanese games and 2 of my 4 preorders for the rest of the year are Switch / PS4 titles. I did a count of the installed games on my system (about 100) and 30% of those were Japanese titles that aren't available on Xbox. If I'm on Playstation I don't have to worry about whether or not the games are coming over - especially the Square Enix ones.

Existing library – I already have most of my games on Playstation, so I don't have to worry about buying them or them being on a sub service and expiring before I can play them. I noticed this a lot – I wanted to play Kentucky Route Zero on Game Pass, for example, but it was taken off before I could play, whereas I already own it on PS4.

These points alone would make a PS5 the easy choice in my opinion.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
If you already have both consoles, buy your multiplatform games on Xbox and buy Japanese games/Exclusives on the PS5?

Neither subscription service is worth it year round to me and I just pick up a month when there's a game I'm interested in trying and not buying.
Yep, this exactly. You already have both consoles, so keep things they way they are and get multiplatform/Game Pass games on Xbox and exclusives on PS5.

OldBritBloke

Oct 28, 2017
If you own both then why is a choice required? Surely the big advantage of owning both is not having to choose. Buy games where the best deal is, where the best performance is, or if there's not cross-play then where your friends are.

Personally I have a PS5 as my main console, a Series S for 360 games and Starfield, and a Steam Deck that gets far more use than either of them.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Yeah if you already have both then do not worry about this at all... get Game Pass Ultimate for 3 years via Gold to GPU for dirt cheap, spend $30 on PS+ Essential at Black Friday for a year of online play and leave it at that for the sub service costs? Then, buy Exclusives on PS5, play Exclusives through GPU, and buy third party games on where it performs better / is cheaper / has features you care about (like dualsense or multiplayer).

Ouroboros

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I love JRPGs but since almost 100% of the ones I'm interested are also day one or eventually on PC I went with the Xbox for GAMEPASS and backwards compatibility. Gotta play Infinite Undiscovery every year so…..easy choice for me.

That being said — I think PS5 is better suited for you OP

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni

If I only had a choice between the two (not counting PC) - I would choose Playstation for the fact that they have better first party lineup and better Japanese third party support (mainly from SE).

I dont care for gamepass because my backlog has a bigger library than Gamepass' library.

Edit: since you have both , go with PlayStation because you like the trophy system more

Last edited:

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Between the two, PS5 doesn't ever have to worry about getting snubbed for Japanese games the way Xbox does, and like you mentioned more consistently gets physically releases.

Add the fact that most of your library is already on PlayStation, and it seems you're better off sticking to that.

For the Xbox you apparently also own, you can just use Game Pass as needed to play the exclusives it gets Day 1, and then if you ever want to own them later, they'll be on sale by then too.

I guess the way I ultimately see it as someone that owns both too, I guarantee I'm buying a PS6 due to those aforementioned reasons, but I may not necessarily buy the next Xbox even though I do like some aspects of its ecosystem.

Darren Lamb

Dec 1, 2017
Didn't realize you already had both.

I would use the Series X for Game Pass and MS exclusives, and use the PS5 for physical games and exclusives. It sounds like you prefer the Xbox ecosystem but would take the Playstation's library. Usually these conversations assume some sort of financial trade-off, but the idea of a "main platform" despite owning both machines seems like a self created constraint.

Maybe compromise by only buying PS+ on big sales or something. I've been buying costco cards for PSN credit and then letting my sub lapse until there's a deal on a year of PS+.

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017
The one that has most of the games you want to play.

If it was last gen, the answer would be PS4, this gen is much harder to decide.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
the pros that you listed for PS5 weight a lot more than those of the Xbox, to be honest. Yeah quick resume is nice, but not enough to forego Japanese games when you play them a lot.

I'd say stay with PS5. But then again you own both consoles so, I don't think it matters much in the end.

Also keep in mind that quick resume and ps3-gen retro compatibility might come to the PS5 or PS6 eventually. I'd say quick resume is a surefire thing that will be in the PS6, if not patched into the PS5 down the line. So if you are patient, you might not have to consider these two points anymore, making Playstation even better for you.

Kingdom Key

Aug 4, 2021
If I had to choose between them, then it would be the PS5 by light years. Playstation by far has the better catalogue, and some of the pros you mentioned in the Series X category aren't even legit pros to me. The Dualsense, for example, is a much better controller than the AliExpress mess Microsoft still manages to ship with their console. I just pop the controller onto the charging dock so it's always fully charged whenever I pick it up.

sYko de4d

Oct 28, 2017
i have xbox SX and PS5 and 80% of the time i use the Xbox. I have both Game pass ultimate and PS plus extra. But beside game pass i find the switching between games and apps more smooth with the Xbox.