• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SpartaNNNN

Nov 12, 2020
Via Source
  • Deck Nine Games could possibly be working on another Life is Strange instalment, according to a few recent job listings.
  • Currently, the company is hiring for an "unannounced AAA single-player adventure game."
  • This unannounced project will be based on Unreal Engine 4 and will feature "non-linear narrative systems" and "puzzle design."
  • This unannounced project will likely also feature ray tracing and will be released on PC and console platforms.
When it comes to episodic graphic adventure video games, Life is Strange is one of the first names to come to mind. Released in January 2015 by DON'T NOD Entertainment and SQUARE ENIX, it's one of the most critically and commercially well-received video games in the entire video game industry, receiving many awards from the likes of Golden Joystick Awards and The Game Awards. Since the release of the first instalment, SQUARE ENIX has released three more instalments to the franchise, with the most recent one being Life is Strange Remastered Collection, which was released in February.

While Life is Strange was developed by DON'T NOD Entertainment, all the instalments released in the franchise after that were developed primarily by Deck Nine Games, a video game developer based in the United States.

In December 2021, the company, in collaboration with Telltale Games, unveiled The Expanse: A Telltale Series, a story-driven interactive game that's set prior to the events of the science-fiction television series on Amazon Prime Video, The Expanse. While the video game is scheduled to be released sometime in 2023, it seems that Deck Nine Games has another unannounced project currently in development and this one may just be another instalment to the Life is Strange franchise.

Earlier today, we came across a few recent job listings on the Deck Nine Games website, one of which is for the Lead Programmer position, the description for which reads, "Deck Nine Games is looking to hire a Lead Programmer to lead a team as we develop an unannounced AAA single-player adventure game." From this, it's clear that there is an unannounced AAA single-player adventure project currently in development by Deck Nine Games.

Life Is Strange

Job listing for the Lead Programmer position at Deck Nine Games. | Source: Paycom

Furthermore, one of the required experiences from the candidate mentions, "Unreal Engine experience," suggesting that this unannounced project will be based on Unreal Engine, the same as Life Is Strange: True Colors. In addition to this, this unannounced project will also be released on all current-generation consoles as another one of the required experiences from the candidate mentions, "Experience on at least one current gen console."

Life Is Strange

Required Experience for the Lead Programmer position at Deck Nine Games. | Source: Paycom

While these details aren't sufficient to conclude whether this unannounced project is another Life is Strange instalment or not, another recent job listing for the Lead Game Designer position gives out another important detail about this unannounced project, as the description for it reads, "Deck Nine Games is currently hiring a remote Lead Game Designer for our next narrative adventure game." It continues, "Could this be you? Well, do you love single player games? Do you enjoy crafting narrow but deep experiences? Can you love a game equally for its gameplay and its characters, its themes and its story arcs?" Hence, it seems like this unannounced project will also focus primarily on the narrative experience, which is the essence of the Life is Strange franchise.

Life Is Strange

Job listing for the Lead Game Designer position at Deck Nine Games. | Source: Paycom

Furthermore, one of the responsibilities of the candidate mentions, "Get your hands dirty in the prototypes, game levels, and game systems," which means that there will be certain levels to this unannounced project, possibly in the form of chapters, as is the case with the Life is Strange franchise.

Additionally, this unannounced project will also likely be released on PC besides consoles as well, as one of the requirements from the candidate mentions, "Significant experience developing games for console or PC platforms."

Life Is Strange

Responsibilities and Requirements & Skills for the Lead Game Designer position at Deck Nine Games. | Source: Paycom

In addition to this, one of the pluses that the candidate could also have mentions, "An excellent understanding of non-linear narrative systems and structures." This could possibly be the primary indication of this unannounced project being another Life is Strange instalment, as non-linear narrative systems include portraying events of a narrative out of chronological order, such as going back and forth between past and future events, which is one of the foremost attributes of the Life is Strange franchise. Furthermore, another one of the pluses that the candidate could also have mentions, "Puzzle design experience, especially in the context of narrative adventures," which is also an important element of all Life is Strange instalments.

Lead-Game-Designer-Pluses-Deck-Nine-Games.png
Pluses for the Lead Game Designer position at Deck Nine Games. | Source: Paycom
In addition to all this, it seems like this unannounced project will also feature combat, as the description for another recent job listing concerning the Senior Animator position reads, "Deck Nine Games is looking for a creative and talented Senior Animator for an unannounced AAA adventure game. You will focus on gameplay animation (i.e., locomotion, combat, etc.) as well as adding nuance, intent, and emotion with facial motion capture data." Combat is also another recognised feature in the Life is Strange franchise, which doesn't seem to be the case with The Expanse: A Telltale Series, further indicating that this may, in fact, be another Life is Strange instalment currently under development by Deck Nine Games.

Senior-Animator-Deck-Nine-Games.png

Job listing for the Lead Senior Animator position at Deck Nine Games. | Source: Paycom

Lastly, another recent job listing on the Deck Nine Games website is for the Graphics Programmer position, the description for which reads, "Deck Nine Games is looking to hire a Graphics Programmers to help define and deliver the look of a AAA single-player adventure game." Based on one of the pluses that the candidate could have, which mentions, "Raytracing experience," it seems like this unannounced project may also feature ray-tracing, as was also the case with Life is Strange: True Colors. Unfortunately, this unannounced project won't be based on Unreal Engine 5, but rather still Unreal Engine 4, as another one of the pluses that the candidate could have mentions, "Unreal 4 experience."

Graphics-Programmer-Pluses-Deck-Nine-Games.png

Pluses for the Lead Graphics Programmer position at Deck Nine Games. | Source: Paycom

In an interview with Rock Paper Shotgun in August, Phillip Lawrence, the Senior Narrative Designer at SQUARE ENIX, admitted that the development team would likely not return to the episodic model of the Life is Strange franchise after the release of Life is Strange: True Colors. "I can't imagine we'd go back to the episodic model," he said. While it's unclear what the future has for the Life is Strange franchise, the episodic model will probably not be a part of it all, and that is reflected in the details of this unannounced project.

At the moment, it's uncertain whether this unannounced project is, in fact, another Life is Strange instalment or not. It's worth mentioning that a similar job listing for an "unannounced AAA single-player adventure game" appeared on the Deck Nine Games website back in February 2021. However, the rumours were soon dismissed with the announcement of Life is Strange: True Colors in March 2021. While not many details about this unannounced project were mentioned back then, they are now, and they all possibly indicate another Life is Strange instalment.

Deleted member 3038

Oct 25, 2017
Excited to see another LiS Title, Loved LiS2 & True Colours.

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
I'm down for it. Loved True Colours.

The facial tech was insanely impressive so I'm keen to see what they can do.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
Yeah, they've had a new game in (early) pre-production since before True Colors shipped. I have a loose idea of who all is working on what could be LiS4, a lot of vets from BtS and TC.

Though it's worth keeping in mind that D9 has ambition and having multiple projects in the pipeline is the goal. Obviously The Expanse is the only project in full production at the moment. At least to my knowledge.

I'm expecting this to be a lot more ambitious than True Colors.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
Good.

Alex Chen is the best LiS character and one of the best video game protagonists in general. Don't @ me.

NeoRaider

Feb 7, 2018
True Colors was a flop imo. Very... short, limited, boring and uninteresting. OG LiS by Dontnod is still by far the best LiS.

THube

Oct 27, 2017
True Colors was really good. Uneven, but the positives outweigh the negatives for sure.

Bucca

Oct 25, 2017
These games have genuinely awful writing.

I enjoyed the first LiS for the most part, but man.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Good news, really enjoyed the previous work from them, looking forward to more!

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Loved True Colors. Can't wait to see what Deck Nine does next with the franchise.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
I can understand the mild reception by some to True Colors but I think many went in with unrealistic expectations given the team's level of experience and COVID fucking things up.

Time for me to bounce since no one else is really interested in speculating.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
I can't say that i hate it, but the game was one big nothing for me. I really liked Before the Storm too, even tho. the final episode and ending seemed really rushed.
You right. Hate is too much of a strong word to describe it.
I was just dissapointed with the game.

The previous LiS games are among my favorite games ever. I love the serie.

HighlanderCZ

Oct 28, 2017
Meh. After Before the Storm, I won't touch anything in the franchise made by Deck Nine with a 10-foot pole. They remind me of Bethesda and their approach to Fallout — they have the visuals and the atmosphere down, but the soul is missing.

Saturday

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
True Colors had to be a reset in some way given the circumstances, so it'd be super interesting to see if a sequel attempts to hit that middle of the first two games writing with the slicker presentation of TC- I wouldn't even be surprised if Alex returns again as another departure from series convention. I'd personally be fine with the vibes TC presented.

Maxime

Oct 27, 2017
Not a big fan on D9's take on the franchise to be honest. I'll keep an eye open but I miss Don't Nod's LiS (excited to see what the Montreal team is up to).

MGPanda

Feb 25, 2018
Honestly, True Colors might be my favourite in the whole series, and there's some tough competition, so super stoked for this!

hydruxo

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
I really enjoyed True Colors so glad to hear this. Plot could've been better but I hope we see Alex Chen again at some point in another game. She was the highlight of True Colors by far.

Genetrik

Oct 27, 2017
Really disliked true colors but they did a good job with before the storm, so let's see. The true best in the series is Life is Strange 2 with all of its impactful endings

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Considering I enjoyed the latest life is strange infinitely more than the first one means I'm pretty excited for this. They actually managed to create some likable characters!

...Which is more than can be said for the first game where the choice to sacrifice an entire town or save the worst character I've ever had the misfortune of hearing speak was one of the most no-brainer decision I think I've ever had to make in a game seemingly about moral dilemmas. Lol

Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't there a leak a few years back, with the source revealing True Colors and another game
being a Max/Chloe sequel ala the comic
?

Either way, I'm game.

Syraneia

Aug 8, 2022
Netherlands
I'm very glad to hear Life is Strange will continue. I'm actually currently playing through True Colours and liking it a lot.

Honestly, I was worried Square Enix wasn't going to bother with the series any more considering they've all but dumped most of their Western IPs.

That said, as much as I love the original, I dearly hope this sequel isn't going to be about Arcadia Bay again. Please let it rest and try new things.