• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
It's not even March yet

This year is going to be absolutely gutting for the industry

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
This shit never ends. How did the industry survive this long this generation only to collapse in on itself like a house of cards now?

(I mean I know the answer, it's "oh shit we can't maintain COVID numbers forever abort abort abort" from the shareholders, I'm just frustrated)

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
Fuck Deck Nine's management. The most "optimistic" outcome is they laid off people from The Expanse team that couldn't transition to the Life is Strange team. Which, mind you, already lost some senior level employees last year to prevent junior staff from being jobless.

Fuck everything.

Dogo Mojo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Really feels like 2024 is going to be a bloodbath year for Videogames. It's crazy considering the amount of money this industry makes, but numbers must always go up.

Mattmo831

Featuring Mattmo831 from the Apple v Epic case
Oct 26, 2020
2 weeks severance?? Wow. That fucking blows. Good luck to anyone affected

Oct 27, 2017
As shitty as this all sounds it doesn't seem like there was anything else that could be done. Leadership took paycuts and if they're privately owned it's not like they have other sources of cash other than what they make on games or from publishers (this isn't a particularly good time for game investment)

This shit never ends. How did the industry survive this long this generation only to collapse in on itself like a house of cards now?

(I mean I know the answer, it's "oh shit we can't maintain COVID numbers forever abort abort abort" from the shareholders, I'm just frustrated)
It's both the pandemic & the new younger bigger player base wanting a few select games that they invest in rather than having variety. Not blaming fortnite, but i'm blaming Fortnite.

Jakenbakin

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Jun 17, 2018
I haven't played a Deck Nine game since Pain before they were even called Deck Nine, but sad to hear it - the narrative games they've moved onto aren't for me but they look really great with a lot of passion behind them. Best of luck to the developers in this shitty time.

PucePikmin

Apr 26, 2018

Someone really needs to do a deep dive longread into what's going on, but my impression is...

a) Industry wasn't that healthy going into this generation
b) Budgets ballooned exponentially with this generation
c) The pandemic provided a temporary reprieve and convinced publishers (wrongly) there was an endless appetite for live-service-y stuff
d) Once lockdowns ended, the chickens came home to roost hard
e) High inflation and interest rates made the situation even worse
f) AI and the procedural generation built into stuff like Unreal Engine 5 was supposed to keep the cost of making current-gen AAA games reasonable, but it hasn't really panned out.
g) There's a huge glut of indie games so smaller devs are feeling the pinch too

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017

I don't think the current wave of layoffs are exclusive to video game/general tech industry. A quite number of my patients got laid off in the recent months and none of them were working at a tech company. I mean, one of them was working at a hotel and the chain just shut the location down, a hotel isn't something that could possibly have profited off the covid pandemic.

Touko

Banned
Jan 1, 2024
I'd really like "Worsening Market Conditions" defined because we keep seeing it as a reason for layoffs, but not one PR statement has actually outlined what those conditions are.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
I'd really like "Worsening Market Conditions" defined because we keep seeing it as a reason for layoffs, but not one PR statement has actually outlined what those conditions are.
They just don't want to admit it's because all the cool kids are doing it.

That and taking responsibility for bad management decisions.

Elyian

Feb 7, 2018
It just keeps coming, what the fuck. Best of luck to all those effected and hope they all land on their feet.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Man, getting into this industry now career wise must not be exactly fun.

Wolf

Oct 25, 2017
It's both the pandemic & the new younger bigger player base wanting a few select games that they invest in rather than having variety. Not blaming fortnite, but i'm blaming Fortnite.
Yup, and it's why everything in media (not just games!) is doing cross collaborations nowadays. People are terrified of launching something new and standalone. They'd rather just insert their stuff in something that is already out there.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
It's certainly a bit of a weak cop out to put the blame squarely on that in this post, but it's not without merit — the industry is not growing "enough". https://www.matthewball.co/all/gaming2024

Hearts out to the devs, that 2 weeks severance is awful.

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017

interest rates are high and growth is flat. —-> it's much harder to get funding.

so if you overhired during the pandemic...

Opposable

Oct 25, 2017
2 weeks seems an incredibly low amount. Some may not even be able to pay rent/bills/mortgage for the month with that. Plus the healthcare benefits which are now void.

giapel

Oct 28, 2017
I'd like to know too. It's not like the video game industry is crashing and sales are like 90% down. So what's happening?

Demeisen

Mar 11, 2021
I'd like to know too. It's not like the video game industry is crashing and sales are like 90% down. So what's happening?

The article linked above does a decent job at explaining some of the issues with the AAA/AAA-adjacent market. Basically, spiralling production costs vs. stagnant retail prices, low growth relative to other markets, and a higher interest rate environment. It's not just AAA either - getting funding for indie and mid-sized studios is a lot harder than it was a few years ago.

It's certainly a bit of a weak cop out to put the blame squarely on that in this post, but it's not without merit — the industry is not growing "enough". https://www.matthewball.co/all/gaming2024

Hearts out to the devs, that 2 weeks severance is awful.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
I can't imagine how competitive job market for devs is right now. I'm sure a lot are considering changing careers right now. I hope everyone lands on their feet. That 2 weeks severance is absolute bullshit though.