• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Winnie

Mar 12, 2020
0fECYwZ_d.webp

I like to have an index of the decompilations that are being worked on, so here it is. I will try to keep this updated regularly. Also i consider a project on "active" if there have been movement in the past 3 month, there's tons more that doesn't have any update since 3+ months.
Keep in mind that a decompilation doesn't automatically means that a PC port is coming, after the decompilation someone has to come a make the port, it a separated thing from the decompilation.

I also have probably missed some decompilations, or there's incorrect/missing progress information, please tell me and i will add it to the OT.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Active decompilations:

SNES:
- Earthbound / Mother 2
- Final Fantasy VI

N64:
- Mario Kart 64 at 89%
- Goldeneye 007 at 62,6%
- Duke Nukem Zero Hour at 97,04%
- Banjo Kazooie at 98.69%
- Diddy Kong Racing at 66.48%
- Dinosaur Planet at 2,2%
- Ty the Tasmanian Tiger at 16,26%
- Animal Forest at 10,34%
- Starfox 64
- Yoshi's Story at 3,79%
- Pokemon Stadium
- Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards
- Mario Party 1
- Mario Party 3
- Donkey Kong 64 at 34,62%
- Dr. Mario 64 at 79,78%
- Wave Racer 64 at 5,83%
- Star Fox 64 82,64%

GB:
- Metroid II: Return of Samus

GBC:
- Links Awakening DX

GBA:
- Banjo Kazooie Grunty's Revenge at 28,34%
- Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones at 82%
- Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town
- Kirby & The Amazing Mirror
- Metroid - Zero Mission at 98.38%
- Pokémon Emerald
- Pokémon FireRed and LeafGreen
- Pokémon Ruby and Sapphire
- Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Red Rescue Team
- Sonic Advance 2 at 81%
- The Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap at 98,7%
- Golden Sun

NDS:
- Pokémon HeartGold and SoulSilver
- Rhythm Heaven

3DS:
- Super Mario 3D Land at 4%

GameCube:
- The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess at 42,76%
- Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door
- Pikmin 1 & 2 at 46,93%
- Kirby Air Ride
- Luigi's Mansion
- Mario Kart: Double Dash!!
- Super Smash Bros. Melee at 14,8%
- Animal Crossing 20,38%
- The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker at 13,7%
- Metroid Prime at 11,52%
- Metroid Prime 2 at 0,90%
- Chibi-Robo: PIA at 0,02%

Wii:
- Mario Kart Wii at 8,28%
- Super Paper Mario
- Super Mario Galaxy at 12,51%
- Xenoblade Chronicles at 6,75%

Switch:
- Super Mario Oddysey at 4,61%
- The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild at 16,8%

PS1:
- Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
- Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver at 67%
- Metal Gear Solid
- Crash Bandicoot
- Crash Team Racing at 50%
- Vandal Hearts
- Tomb Raider 1-5
- Doom
- Medievil 1
- R4: Ridge Racer Type 4 at 81%

PS2:
- Fatal Frame 2 : Crimson Butterfly
- Kingdom Hearts

XBOX:
- Halo: Combat Evolved

PC:
- Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Director's Cut
- Sonic Mania
- Final Fantasy VII (Website)
- Lego Island

NEC PC-9800:
- Touhou Project 2 at 32.45%
- Touhou Project 3 at 26.43%
- Touhou Project 4 at 44.65%
- Touhou Project 5 at 57.60%
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Completed Decompilation:

N64:
- The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
- Perfect Dark
- Super Mario 64
- Paper Mario 64
- The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask

NES:
- Zelda II: The Adventure of Link

SNES:
- Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
- The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
- Super Metroid

GB:
- Donkey Kong '94
- Kirby's Dream Land
- Pokémon Red and Blue
- Pokémon Yellow
- Super Mario Land
- Super Mario Land 3: Wario Land

GBC:
- Pokémon Gold and Silver
- Pokémon Crystal
- Pokémon Pinball
- Wario Land 3
- The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX HD

MegaDrive:
- Streets of Rage 2

PS1:
- Driver 2
- Tomb Raider 1
- Legend of Dragoon

NEC PC-9800:
- Touhou Project 1

PS2:
- Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy
- Jak II

Amiga:
- Ambermoon

DOS:
- The Settlers I
PC PORTs:
- The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (Easy Launcher)
- The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
- Super Mario 64
- Crash Bandicoot (not fully playable yet)
- Legend of the Dragoon
- Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy
- Driver 2
- Tomb Raider 1 (OpenLara & TR1X)
- Tomb Raider 2 (TR2X & TR2Main)
- Tomb Raider 3
- Tomb Raider 4
- Tomb Rider 5
- Tomb Raider 1-5 (Only the first one playable for now)
- Ambermoon
- The Settlers I
- Sonic Mania
- Super Metroid (Easy Launcher)
- Super Mario World (WIP) (Easy Launcher)
- Wipeout 1
- Perfect Dark (WIP)
- Doom (PS1)
- Final Fantasy VII (Website) (WIP)
- Jak II (Beta)
- Street of Rage 2
- Infinity Blade
Discords:
Harbour Masters 64 (Ocarina of Time/Majora's Mask ports)
Star Fox 64 decomp
ZeldaRET - Zelda series decomps (Too many games to list)
pret - Pokemon series decomps (Too many games to list)
N64 Decomps (Too many games to list)
Gamecube/Wii decomps (Too many games to list)
Super Mario 64 Port
Videos:

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IPG9hhpezw

Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSCFVStWHHc

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xctizwBntag

Last edited:

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
oh shit, subbing hard to this thread. Thank you for making it!

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
Might need a pinned post: "Just a reminder, companies can't do shit to shut these down if the projects don't provide the ROMs themselves."

WindUp

Oct 30, 2017
The Gen 3 Pokémon decomps (and the development tooling around them) are insanely cool. If you are familiar with C coding it is literally an RPGMaker type sandbox but with the actual game assets and engine.

Bopp

Aug 6, 2021
Complete noob here, what's the benefit of all these compared to roms?

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
This shit is so cool, almost all of my childhood favourites are actively being worked on. Honestly fuck new releases, this is my #1 motivator for investing in a real PC lol

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
someone please mod A Link to the Past to give it the graphics of Minish Cap.

smart patrol

Oct 27, 2017
Everyone is already aware of it at this point, but the gold standard on what decompilation projects can lead to is Super Mario 64. Because of it, we get to experience one of the greatest games ever made at any resolution, at 60fps, with full analog camera control, ported to countless platforms. And there's the amazing Render96 model/texture pack available, of course.

www.youtube.com

Super Mario 64 Long Play HD Render96 No Commentary

Super Mario 64 Longplay HD Render96 No CommentaryI cheated..... only a bithere's my discord I guess....it's quiet there https://discord.gg/hV6WgSuTZ6

I personally can't wait to see what people do with Perfect Dark.

OP
OP
Winnie

Winnie

Mar 12, 2020
I was sure that no one would care about this thread, glad to be wrong tho!

Added Tomb Raider to the OP, and also have added what i consider "in active decompilation" (basically it needs to have been updated in the last 3 months). I didn't wanna make an extremely (and exahusting) long list with project that doesn't seems to update much.

Edit: One last thing, the people who made the Ocarina of Time port started working on another port the 6 of November 2022, probably Perfect Dark?

msedge-2023-02-02-21-55-21.png

Last edited:

J75

Sep 29, 2018
Can't wait for Perfect Dark. Nice to see Goldeneye is being worked on too.

Cat Dad

Oct 25, 2017
I know it's a bit of a touchy subject but can we get a how to play/run these ports in the first post as well?

amara

Nov 23, 2021
I tried the Jak port recently and just incredible work. Can't wait for more 3D platformers

Aug 31, 2019
I am not familiar with this space. In software development generally, "decompilation" means the opposite of compilation. Compilation being source code in => binary out. So a decompiler takes some binary code and produces source code by reading and interpreting that binary.

That's not what's happening here right?

From the way these projects talk It sounds like they are clean-room (ie not looking at the binary or decompilations of the binary) re-implementing the game binary? Effectively reimplementing the engine, and presumably as well the assets?

Edit: or are these just the clean-room engine implementation, like openrct2 etc?

GameDev

Aug 29, 2018
Part of me is dreading the day they decompile certain Genesis, and CPS2/CPS3 games. What little free time I have will fly out the window.

Deleted member 12129

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
Has anyone tried out the Link to the Past PC port? I attempted to follow the directions to get it running but I must have missed a step and I can't get it working

OP
OP
Winnie

Winnie

Mar 12, 2020
Has anyone tried out the Link to the Past PC port? I attempted to follow the directions to get it running but I must have missed a step and I can't get it working

I have made it run without much problem following the guide on github:
1 - Installing Python & libraries on Windows (required for asset extraction steps)
  1. Download Python installer and install
  2. Open the command prompt
  3. Upgrade pip & install pillow and pyyaml by typing python -m pip install --upgrade pip pillow pyyaml and hit enter
  4. Close the command prompt
2 - Compiling on Windows with TCC (1mb Tiny C Compiler)
  1. Download the project by clicking "Code > Download ZIP" on the github page
  2. Extract the ZIP to your hard drive
  3. Place the USA rom named zelda3.sfc in the "\tables" subfolder
  4. Open the command prompt and navigate to that folder
  5. Extract resources by typing python extract_resources.py and hit enter
  6. Compile the extracted resources by typing python compile_resources.py and hit enter
  7. Close the command prompt
  8. Double-click Zelda3.sln
  9. Change "debug" to "release" in the top dropdown
  10. Choose "build > build Zelda3" in the menu to create zelda3.exe in the "/bin/release" subfolder
  11. Configure with zelda3.ini in the main dir

riq

Feb 21, 2019
Excellent thread.

Pls smart computer people port pokered to C 🙏

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
Oh shit, I played Ship of Harkinian (OoT) a few times but I had no idea it had a Steam Deck version. That's a game changer. I'm seeing some Allsanitys in my future.

Spark

Dec 6, 2017
Ambermoon originally for the Amiga was decompiled and ported to PC/Max/Linux.

github.com

GitHub - Pyrdacor/Ambermoon.net: Ambermoon rewrite in C#

Ambermoon rewrite in C#. Contribute to Pyrdacor/Ambermoon.net development by creating an account on GitHub.

And here's one for The Settlers 1 (DOS), which was ported to PC/Max/Linux.

github.com

GitHub - Pyrdacor/freeserf.net: Settlers 1 clone written in C#

Settlers 1 clone written in C#. Contribute to Pyrdacor/freeserf.net development by creating an account on GitHub.

OP
OP
Winnie

Winnie

Mar 12, 2020
Ambermoon originally for the Amiga was decompiled and ported to PC/Max/Linux.

github.com

GitHub - Pyrdacor/Ambermoon.net: Ambermoon rewrite in C#

Ambermoon rewrite in C#. Contribute to Pyrdacor/Ambermoon.net development by creating an account on GitHub.

And here's one for The Settlers 1 (DOS), which was ported to PC/Max/Linux.

github.com

GitHub - Pyrdacor/freeserf.net: Settlers 1 clone written in C#

Settlers 1 clone written in C#. Contribute to Pyrdacor/freeserf.net development by creating an account on GitHub.

Added both of them, thanks!

Str0ngStyle

Oct 28, 2017
so the LttP port that just came out, my xbox controller when playing makes the A button register as the start button and theres no way to get that to function. Anybody got any ideas on a fix?

Easy way to compile A Link to the Past

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
For those who want a simple, one-click solution for getting A Link to the Past running on PC, I built this tool that downloads everything you need and compiles it for you with one simple click...or one click and then selecting your original copy if you don't want to manually rename and move it. Still, dead simple process if you're on Windows.
github.com

Release v1.0.0.0 Release · RadzPrower/Zelda-3-Launcher

This release is now out-of-date. Click here for the latest release. Initial Release The initial release of the Zelda 3 Launcher tool. Includes One-Click Build Functionality: Download zelda3 reposi...

Linux? Steam Deck? Eh, building on Linux is a cakewalk and you don't need to be building directly on your Deck anyhow.

OP
OP
Winnie

Winnie

Mar 12, 2020
For those who want a simple, one-click solution for getting A Link to the Past running on PC, I built this tool that downloads everything you need and compiles it for you with one simple click...or one click and then selecting your original copy if you don't want to manually rename and move it. Still, dead simple process if you're on Windows.
github.com

Release v1.0.0.0 Release · RadzPrower/Zelda-3-Launcher

This release is now out-of-date. Click here for the latest release. Initial Release The initial release of the Zelda 3 Launcher tool. Includes One-Click Build Functionality: Download zelda3 reposi...

Linux? Steam Deck? Eh, building on Linux is a cakewalk and you don't need to be building directly on your Deck anyhow.

Ooh, so cool! Threadmarked, thanks!

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
Might need a pinned post: "Just a reminder, companies can't do shit to shut these down if the projects don't provide the ROMs themselves."

A developer's legal ownership of a game they made isn't just the code that runs the game. It's the art, characters, maps, names, and all that sort of thing. I don't know the exact contours of the legality (few people truly do), but at the end of the day this is still someone distributing "The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past" who doesn't own the rights to it. They don't suddenly own it just because they recreated it with their own code.

These distributions may not have been widely attacked by rights holders yet, but I wouldn't bet on that being because they have no legal right to.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
A developer's legal ownership of a game they made isn't just the code that runs the game. It's the art, characters, maps, names, and all that sort of thing. I don't know the exact contours of the legality (few people truly do), but at the end of the day this is still someone distributing "The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past" who doesn't own the rights to it. They don't suddenly own it just because they recreated it with their own code.

These distributions may not have been widely attacked by rights holders yet, but I wouldn't bet on that being because they have no legal right to.

Wouldn't "the art, characters, maps, names, and all that sort of thing" fall within the ROM they aren't distributing?

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't "the art, characters, maps, names, and all that sort of thing" fall within the ROM they aren't distributing?

No. Why would Nintendo's ownership of Link and Zelda as characters end at the code of the games? That's what intellectual property is about. And it's not just the characters but also things like the way a dungeon looks, the musical arrangements and sound effects, everything that makes the game what it is. All of that stuff isn't just the code, it's the planning, design work and IP as well. The owner of the game retains rights to all of that, not just the ones and zeroes.

Jul 7, 2021
No. Why would Nintendo's ownership of Link and Zelda as characters end at the code of the games? That's what intellectual property is about. And it's not just the characters but also things like the way a dungeon looks, the musical arrangements and sound effects, everything that makes the game what it is. All of that stuff isn't just the code, it's the planning, design work and IP as well. The owner of the game retains rights to all of that, not just the ones and zeroes.

None of that stuff is being distributed though.... do you even know what this is?

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
Non of that stuff is being distributed though.... do you even know what this is?

I know what it is, yes? And apart from the issue of whether the actual ROM is being distributed, they can also raise issues of spreading this as a way to play a game outside the owner's purview. Again: I don't know the exact contours of the legality of this, but I wouldn't bet on it being "untouchable". That's all I'm saying.