• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

THube

Oct 27, 2017
I thought the Wii VC/Wii U VC ROMs were slightly modified (often for things like anti-epilepsy measures) and therefore don't match checksums for these sorts of things?

Those changes were usually either emulator-level, or patches applied in real time, leaving the original roms intact.

Wonky Mump

Oct 30, 2017
The PS1 version of Wipeout 1 has been ported to PC with enhanced features.

github.com

GitHub - wipeout-phantom-edition/wipeout-phantom-edition: An enhanced PC source port of the original WipeOut.

An enhanced PC source port of the original WipeOut. - wipeout-phantom-edition/wipeout-phantom-edition
Oh shit, nice. One slight snag - is there a way to convert a PAL disc to be compatible? I could rip my physical copy no problem, but the instructions say it needs the US version to work.

Arukado

Oct 27, 2017

Parsnip

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Is the Link to the Past PC in good bug free state? Been thinking about replaying LttP lately and thought that maybe I'll try the reimplementation.

OP
OP
Winnie

Winnie

Mar 12, 2020
Is the Link to the Past PC in good bug free state? Been thinking about replaying LttP lately and thought that maybe I'll try the reimplementation.
It's in pretty good state i think, you can also ask on their discord if you want:

Join the Snesrev's Server Discord Server!

Check out the Snesrev's Server community on Discord - hang out with 4056 other members and enjoy free voice and text chat.

Vipershark

Oct 28, 2017
It's not 100% bug free (what is?) but it's in a good enough state that it's playable from start to finish.
There is a notable bug at the very end of the game where the music cuts off in one of the ending cutscenes, but that's because the lag has been removed from the game so it doesn't take as long for it to get to the same point, thus cutting off.
Otherwise, the only really noticeable bugs you'll encounter will probably be when using enhancements like Widescreen mode and such.
If you keep it at 4:3 and play in a mostly-vanilla way you'll probably not encounter anything game breaking.

Vipershark

Oct 28, 2017
The PS1 version of Wipeout 1 has been ported to PC with enhanced features.

github.com

GitHub - wipeout-phantom-edition/wipeout-phantom-edition: An enhanced PC source port of the original WipeOut.

An enhanced PC source port of the original WipeOut. - wipeout-phantom-edition/wipeout-phantom-edition
Kinda weird that there's no source available for this.
I'm not complaining, any PC ports are super cool, but them stealth-dropping a binary and claiming it's a source port without posting the source is a little odd.

Vespa

Oct 26, 2017
Just checked out phantom edition, it's rather amazing, my only issue is it has frame pace issues, not sure if it's just me though.

I love the Sonic R style fade in of geometry and the Wipeout2097/Wip3out collision option is a game changer! I think it would be cool if there was an option to add non-scaled dithering back like you can with duckstation

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
Kinda weird that there's no source available for this.
I'm not complaining, any PC ports are super cool, but them stealth-dropping a binary and claiming it's a source port without posting the source is a little odd.
The source is there.

Edit; Nvm the source code package on releases tab is a lie.

Weird….

MoogleMaestro

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I wouldn't trust a decompilation without proper source code for reference. That's just me though, I am fully absorbed into the world of open source.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Cool to see Vandal Hearts and Fatal Frame 2 in the works. I'd never expected VH to be on anyone's radar, since most of the decompilations so far seem to be of widely beloved Nintendo games.

I'd love to see decompilations of Shadow Hearts, since the parent company is strictly a gambling company now, and the creator has no interest in securing the IP rights. Other things too, but SH most of all for those reason.

ToD_

Oct 27, 2017
Playing WipEout with an uncapped framerate is so much better. I'm hoping they make the source available for this.

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
Completed the Wipeout Phantom Edition yesterday. Didn't had any issues reaching first place like on original PlayStation. Felt really good. Completed rapier class but didn't unlock anything. Is that a bug / glitch ?

Oct 25, 2017
just reading about this, pretty cool if i am to understand these are actually pc ports not just an exe file with an emulation wrapper? so there is absolutely no emulation and the games are running completely native on pc?

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
I have to try both modern and classic at some point, but just the improvements in performance are enough to make it easier than before.
Totally agreed. I think the difficulty which came on the PlayStation release was the collision method and the pretty slow controls. Also the higher frame rate makes navigation way easier. Totally forgot that wipeout 1 had only two classes. Phantom class was introduced with wipeout 2097 / XL

Arukado

Oct 27, 2017
Totally agreed. I think the difficulty which came on the PlayStation release was the collision method and the pretty slow controls. Also the higher frame rate makes navigation way easier. Totally forgot that wipeout 1 had only two classes. Phantom class was introduced with wipeout 2097 / XL
If i remember correctly, the only unlockable is an extra track (Firestar?). So yeah, only two classes.

Arukado

Oct 27, 2017
I just beat the venom championship with the legacy collision model and damn, i had forgotten the frozen hell that was silverstream lmao.

Regarding the decompilation, i forgot to mention the lack of loading times compared to the original version, which took forever to load the tracks. I also played with an ultrawide resolution, and the culling was much, much better than playing in an emulator.

EDIT: Silverstream and not Slipstream (which is the name of the remastered ost). And now that i mention that remastered soundtrack, i have to look into adding some more music to the game.

Last edited:

Wonky Mump

Oct 30, 2017
Anyone had issues with the newest version of the Wipeout release? Just downloaded and extracted it over the last version and it immediately got picked up by my anti-virus and quarantined where as the previous version was fine.

dedge

Sep 15, 2019
Just put OOT PC on my Steam Deck thanks to this thread and wow truly incredible work.

Arukado

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone had issues with the newest version of the Wipeout release? Just downloaded and extracted it over the last version and it immediately got picked up by my anti-virus and quarantined where as the previous version was fine.
I downloaded the latest version earlier today and no problems on my end.

Vipershark

Oct 28, 2017
just reading about this, pretty cool if i am to understand these are actually pc ports not just an exe file with an emulation wrapper? so there is absolutely no emulation and the games are running completely native on pc?
Correct.
These are reverse-engineered source ports compiled to run natively on PC (or whatever architecture).

The level of emulation or lack therof depends on the specific game, though.
The snesrev ports in particular have their CPU code/game logic running natively in amd64, but their graphics are being handled through the graphical portion of an SNES emulator core, so they're about half emulated, half native. Donkito (the snesrev dev) is currently working on a native SNES PPU implementation to make the games 100% native.

As far as I'm aware, 3D games are relatively easy (easier?) to make native as you can just use OpenGL or Vulkan or an already-existing 3D graphics library to port over syscalls but 2D games essentially need to have their renderers made from scratch, hence the SNES games being kind of in a halfway state.

Vipershark

Oct 28, 2017
This is why I haven't played it yet.
No source, no link to a discord or anything, no forks, no named devs, and no mention of a community (or even a single person) working on this project.

This is a cool project but a stealth-dropped binary release with all references to it on the internet linking to the same github page is too sketchy for me.
Way too easy to slipstream a trojan or something into that.

It's probably harmless, but I'll wait.

Spark

Dec 6, 2017
This is why I haven't played it yet.
No source, no link to a discord or anything, no forks, no named devs, and no mention of a community (or even a single person) working on this project.

This is a cool project but a stealth-dropped binary release with all references to it on the internet linking to the same github page is too sketchy for me.
Way too easy to slipstream a trojan or something into that.

It's probably harmless, but I'll wait.
I suspect the reason for the secrecy is that the original Wipeout source code was released last year and I wouldn't be surprised if this game is entirely using that as it's basis. Not a reverse engineer. Which could lead to legal issues in the unlikely scenario a rights holder cares enough to go after them.

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
Any arcade games getting the treatment?
Would love to see games like Golden Axe: Revenge of Death Adder or SFIII Third Strike get ludicrous PC ports

Vipershark

Oct 28, 2017
Any arcade games getting the treatment?
Would love to see games like Golden Axe: Revenge of Death Adder or SFIII Third Strike get ludicrous PC ports
Not yet unfortunately, I imagine because
a) their internal workings aren't as well-documented since most games that weren't tied to specific systems (CPS2, etc) had completely custom boards
b) home consoles are far more accessible to the average person, far better documented, and far more popular than arcade hardware
c) there are dedicated tools for reverse engineering binaries made for popular console CPU architectures (the MIPS chip on the N64, the ARM chips on the GBA/DS, etc) but not for arcade
d) simple lack of interest

Outside of a few specific older games (I believe Galaga has a source port for example) emulation is your best bet for arcade.

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
I can't believe I'm playing Wipeout - one of my favorite games that made me fall in love with the OG PlayStation, at 4k120. What a time to be alive. I wonder if someone will modernise the UI.

shinbojan

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished the WipeOut Phantom Edition playthrough (took me around 70 minutes) and had a lot of fun.
Run it at 4k/120 and it looked fine, due to a simple art style.
This is such a good way to replay the game. The game is already easier due to a higher resolution, frame rate and no pop-in, but the modern wall collision option makes the game a cakewalk (did not had to reset a single race). It also allowed me to play the game in first person, which is something I was never good at in the original.
I've had my challenge with the original on psx1, now I just wanted a quick burst of nostalgia and that is exactly what I've got.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Are we allowed to request them?

Oh, does building the port require the ROM? Often with these things you don't need the ROM until you're ready to launch the port. I'm certainly not asking anyone to provide me with a ROM or a package that includes one.

EDIT: Yep, I checked the Github page again, and the game ROM is simply dropped into a folder once you're ready to run the game.