Jroc

Jun 9, 2018
Wish there was a legacy OpenGL 1.x renderer for Ship of Harkinian. The enhancements are fantastic but the port is definitely geared towards modern systems. Mario 64 Ex in comparison is highly portable and has been shoved onto all sorts of legacy platforms (DOS, PS2, DSi, OG Xbox).

OP
OP
Winnie

Winnie

Mar 12, 2020
It seems that the Jak II PC Port it's almost done:

imagen.png

Progress Update 4# - November 2023
OP
OP
Winnie

Winnie

Mar 12, 2020
Decompilation Progress Update:

N64:
- The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask from 85.2% to 90.8%
- Mario Kart 64 from 75,34 to 82,42%
- Goldeneye 007 from 61,4% to 62,2%
- Diddy Kong Racing from 52.10% to 64,12%
- Animal Forest from 4,63% to 7,71%
- Duke Nukem Zero Hour from 96,21% to 96,36%

GBA:
- Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones from 72% to 78,25%
- Metroid - Zero Mission corrected percentage from 94.41% to 77,15%
- Sonic Advance 2 from 65% to 76%

GameCube:
- The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess from 34.53% to 37,57%
- Pikmin 2 from 29,18% to 38,63%
- The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker from 1,54% to 6,53%

Wii:
- Mario Kart Wii corrected percentage from 13,72% to 8,28%
- Super Mario Galaxy from 11,13% to 11,89%
- Xenoblade Chronicles from 5,3% to 6,14%

PS1:
- Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver from 59% to 60%

New decompilation projects added:

N64:
- Starfox 64
- Yoshi's Story at 2,26%
- Pokemon Stadium
- Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards
- Mario Party 1
- Mario Party 3
- Donkey Kong 64 at 33,50%

GC:
- Metroid Prime at 11,32%
- Metroid Prime 2 at 0,90%
- Chibi-Robo: PIA at 22,33%

PS1:
- Medievil 1

PS2:

- Kingdom Hearts 2

News:

Jak II PC Port complete (available in beta):

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rDZ2BHYmOA

Majora's Mask PC Port already in the works:

View: https://twitter.com/shipofharkinian/status/1721726588767617477

View: https://twitter.com/shipofharkinian/status/1721725730927661530

Crash Team Racing (PS1) PC Port already in the works too (Thanks PaulloDEC):

img_20231107_1853089af0j.jpg

Perfect Dark PC Port 60fps, Widescreen, Mouselook, Dual Analog controller, FOV and more:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZgfl1br5OM
3DS Ocarina of Time textures ported to Ship of Harkinian:
gamebanana.com

Djipi's 3DS Experience + Skilar's Art Plus Link [Ship of Harkinian (Ocarina of Time PC Port)] [Mods]

3DS Texture pack & NPC + Objects models... A Ship of Harkinian (Ocarina of Time PC Port) (SOH) Mod in the Complete Overhaul category, submitted by Djipi

Last edited:

Vipershark

Oct 28, 2017
Great update, wonderful news!
Looking forward to the CTR port.

edit - I didn't realize MK64 was so far along.
Imagine the ability to import tracks from CTR into MK64 or vice versa.
I'm sure that's going to end up happening someday and we're going to end up with some sort of mega kart racer game.

Last edited:

JCR

Oct 27, 2017
Someone has ported almost all textures (bosses and enemies textures are in the works) of Ocarina of Time from 3DS to the PC port:
gamebanana.com

Djipi's 3DS Experience + Skilar's Art Plus Link [Ship of Harkinian (Ocarina of Time PC Port)] [Mods]

3DS Texture pack & NPC + Objects models... A Ship of Harkinian (Ocarina of Time PC Port) (SOH) Mod in the Complete Overhaul category, submitted by Djipi

Combines very nicely with the mod for 3DS Link models. Pretty much my dream remake come true 😍

https://imgsli.com/MjIxMDQw

Downloads:
Djipi's 3DS Experience (Textures)
3DS Character Pack (Models)

EDIT: Updated to a more up to date model pack

Last edited:

Vipershark

Oct 28, 2017
I think my most-wanted N64 decomp/pc port is Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon.
F-Zero X and StarFox 64 are a close second, but I really want to play Mystical Ninja in 4K60.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
Panzer dragoon saga decompilation possible?

Also does this fix Jak 2 ver- widescreen of the original?

Vipershark

Oct 28, 2017
Panzer dragoon saga decompilation possible?
Is it possible? Yes.
Is there one currently? No.
Is it likely? ehhhn..... probably not any time soon.

As far as I'm aware the only "active" Saturn decomp is the Castlevania SotN one and it's currently focusing on the PS1 version of the game.
A quick Google shows that there have been some preliminary pokes into a few Saturn games, according to this page: https://www.retroreversing.com/saturn-reversing

(Sweet Blue, you might be interested in this page that I just found on the Retro Reversing site: https://www.retroreversing.com/tutorials/introduction )

Sweet Blue

Nov 1, 2018
Is it possible? Yes.
Is there one currently? No.
Is it likely? ehhhn..... probably not any time soon.

As far as I'm aware the only "active" Saturn decomp is the Castlevania SotN one and it's currently focusing on the PS1 version of the game.
A quick Google shows that there have been some preliminary pokes into a few Saturn games, according to this page: https://www.retroreversing.com/saturn-reversing

(Sweet Blue, you might be interested in this page that I just found on the Retro Reversing site: https://www.retroreversing.com/tutorials/introduction )

Ooooh that's an incredible read, thank you!

Alex4

May 12, 2019
I wasn't aware that there was a Xenoblade decompilation project in the works. Pretty cool.

Vipershark

Oct 28, 2017

I saw this news last night on the SoH Discord and was going to post it myself if nobody else did.
This is cool and interesting, but I think it's weird that they forked and 100%ed it without contributing those changes upstream to ZeldaRET.
The way it's worded makes me think that they didn't do a 100% match decomp so much as find something very similar that works (or substitute in similar OoT code?) so the code is "good enough", but not exactly accurate.
If it works, it works, but I find it to be an odd decision.

mableguy

Jan 5, 2022
I've gotta take some time to get all three of those mods up and running. Any idea if they work with the Android build?
Finally set it up. It works like a charm! Just unzip the texture package in the mods folder and activate "use alternate textures" in enhancements. Also be sure to use the latest apk (1.1.0).

I saw this news last night on the SoH Discord and was going to post it myself if nobody else did.
This is cool and interesting, but I think it's weird that they forked and 100%ed it without contributing those changes upstream to ZeldaRET.
The way it's worded makes me think that they didn't do a 100% match decomp so much as find something very similar that works (or substitute in similar OoT code?) so the code is "good enough", but not exactly accurate.
I think it's odd too, why not contribute to the official repo? The ZeldaRet project has been really slow for the past year, perhaps they are shorthanded or something like that.

Jimmy Joe

Aug 8, 2019
Someone has ported almost all textures (bosses and enemies textures are in the works) of Ocarina of Time from 3DS to the PC port:
gamebanana.com

Boy howdy am I curious how the 3DS Ganon model will look in the N64's lighting

OP
OP
Winnie

Winnie

Mar 12, 2020

Yeah, maybe they aren't doing it accurately to be able to work already in the port. Maybe they updated later with the accurated changes of ZeldaRET decomp when they are done.

Jan 29, 2018
Finally set it up. It works like a charm! Just unzip the texture package in the mods folder and activate "use alternate textures" in enhancements. Also be sure to use the latest apk (1.1.0).

Thanks for the update! I really want to take some time to set it up this weekend since I just got my Odin 2. Scanning the Discord it looks like people are finding lots of little issues. Glad to hear it's pretty good in practice.

Vipershark

Oct 28, 2017
gamebanana.com

I finally got around to looking at this in depth and it's nice but it's literally *just* a texture pack, and that's less interesting to me than a full 3DS (including geometry) conversion.
I watched the video and you can see them turn the texture pack on and off in real time and while the enhanced textures look nice, it starts to get a little jarring once you realize that they're just overlaid on the low-poly N64 OoT models.
I want to see a version of this mod that replaces all the world geometry as well in addition to just textures and actors.

edit- For comparison, this is how the 3DS Temple of Time looks:
GVOIo6E.jpg

And here is how the SoH ToT looks with the 3DS texture pack:
HVTfZRs.jpg

Yes, it's pretty, but it's not what I was expecting and not what I wanted.

Tangentially, I'm also not a fan of the item icons and status screen graphics for the medallions and such and absolutely prefer the original-style high resolution renders that came out of the iQue leaks, but to each their own, I suppose.

Last edited:

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I want to see a version of this mod that replaces all the world geometry as well in addition to just textures and actors.

Djipi is working on models as well.

image.png

image.png

They're running into limitations with world geometry,, e.g. they're not going to have modelled cliffs in Hyrule Field or a fully 3D Castle Town like the 3DS version.

For a 'complete' overhaul, the 3DS version remains the best option. It's unfortunate that emulation hasn't provided a good widescreen and FOV hack for it, and there's probably not much motivation to make a PC port of that one specifically.

Jan 29, 2018

Hmm I installed the apk and it works great but I don't see where to put the texture packages. Did it create a mods folder on your device?

Also some of these settings menus don't really work, or at least I can't see what I'm doing. I can't navigate to the part of the window where I could remap the c buttons, for example. Still pretty impressive.

mableguy

Jan 5, 2022
Hmm I installed the apk and it works great but I don't see where to put the texture packages. Did it create a mods folder on your device?

Also some of these settings menus don't really work, or at least I can't see what I'm doing. I can't navigate to the part of the window where I could remap the c buttons, for example. Still pretty impressive.
Oh yeah, I reported the issue in Github, I can't map the C buttons either. Fortunately it's playable using the dpad for items.

It did create a "mods" folder inside the soh directory. I actually replaced the folder with another called "mods" containing the texture packs and it worked.

Jan 29, 2018
Oh yeah, I reported the issue in Github, I can't map the C buttons either. Fortunately it's playable using the dpad for items.

It did create a "mods" folder inside the soh directory. I actually replaced the folder with another called "mods" containing the texture packs and it worked.

I'm dumb and didn't realize that the apk on my SD card created a folder on my device. Now that I know I'll play with the mods later.

Vipershark

Oct 28, 2017
I looked at the ZeldaRET discord to see what they were saying about 2S2H MM being 100%'ed and the response there is really weird.
It seems to be mostly indifference, followed by the following:

ZeldaRET Discord - slightly edited for brevity and context said:
[8:37 PM]Maide: I mean, some of us were told we couldn't work on MM anymore
[8:37 PM]Maide: So ofc someone else had to finish it
[8:37 PM]Maide: Stuck in an infinitely waiting for new people stage.
[8:39 PM]Maide: I was just linked a twitter message about MM being 100% on another server
[8:40 PM]ampier: Its a project we repeatedly tell people not to discuss here. Almost like it has a channel dedicated to it: #⁠pc-port
[8:40 PM]Rhysemire: <I mean, some of us were told we couldn't work on MM anymore> how come?
[8:40 PM]Rhysemire: they saw the source code or something?
[8:41 PM]Maide: Nah, it's because some people wanted new users to be able to get into the project to help document things, and they thought that leaving open some remaining un-decomped files will help them get into it and understand it.
[8:41 PM]Maide: So it was a case of "leave that stuff just for new people"
[8:41 PM]Maide: Nice to see it's finally done though

So I guess it sounds like the project leads on ZeldaRET wanted to leave the last remaining few percent for newbies only and were fine leaving the project sitting in limbo until new users learned to decomp to be able to push it over the finish line.
I guess SoH's devs got tired of waiting and forked and finished it themselves, and I assume ZeldaRET won't accept their decomped code regardless since they aren't new.

What a weird situation.

Last edited:

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I looked at the ZeldaRET discord to see what they were saying about 2S2H MM being 100%'ed and the response there is really weird.
It seems to be mostly indifference, followed by the following:

So I guess it sounds like the project leads on ZeldaRET wanted to leave the last remaining few percent for newbies only and were fine leaving the project sitting in limbo until new users learned to decomp to be able to push it over the finish line.
I guess SoH's devs got tired of waiting and forked and finished it themselves, and I assume ZeldaRET won't accept their decomped code regardless since they aren't new.

What a weird situation.
From the outside, this sounds unnecessarily obtuse and goofy. Like a less toxic version of the various emulator developer beefs we've had over the past few years. If the work can get done, let it get done.

Vipershark

Oct 28, 2017
After a few more probing questions, a mod logged into the ZeldaRET Discord and offered the following explanation of the MM situation:

ZeldaRET Discord said:
[7:24 AM] AngheloAlf: We have a reservation system in place in which contributors reserve a file to work on, so people don't step on other people's toes by accident
[7:25 AM] AngheloAlf: Most of the remaining files are either being working on or already matched and the person in question is working on documentation
[7:26 AM] AngheloAlf: We won't be accepting PRs of people who didn't have a file already reserved because we respect each other
[7:27 AM] AngheloAlf: Sonic and Revo has been PRing matches for partially matched files that weren't being worked on by anybody, that's ok
[7:29 AM] AngheloAlf: <Maide: I mean, some of us were told we couldn't work on MM anymore> Yes, we wanted to leave the door open for new contributors instead of the old ones matching the easy actors. We believe that's more important than getting 100% as soon as possible
[7:30 AM] AngheloAlf: Something else that Maide causally forgot to mention is there were a few codefiles unreserved that he could had worked on if he wanted to match more stuff. The only requirement for that was to try to document said files
[9:58 AM] Vipershark: I see, thank you for the explanation.

It sounds like their justification is wanting quality PRs rather than fast code that works, regardless of how long said quality takes.
Odd, but understandable.
They don't seem upset about SoH forking and since their main stated goal is explicitly to document and understand the code (with a port intentionally being listed as a non-goal for them), this approach makes more sense once you have the context.

Vipershark

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah that makes certain kind of sense, basically just different priorities ultimately. Thanks for digging around Vipershark.
Unfortunately it looks like my questions stirred up some drama in the Zelda decomp community 😅
I'll spare you the chatlogs so as to not engage in cross-site drama, but after the snippet I posted above, Kenix (the SoH/libultraship project lead) and Louis (SoH's MM decomp project lead) entered the chat and got into an argument with the ZeldaRET mods, stating that the mods weren't being truthful and they were banned from submitting PRs, etc etc. Screenshots got posted and things got a little ugly.
In the end, the SoH guys left the ZeldaRET chat/community and the mods locked the channel to prevent further off-topic discussion.

....uh, oops?

ahahahahaha

mableguy

Jan 5, 2022
Unfortunately it looks like my questions stirred up some drama in the Zelda decomp community 😅
I'll spare you the chatlogs so as to not engage in cross-site drama, but after the snippet I posted above, Kenix (the SoH/libultraship project lead) and Louis (SoH's MM decomp project lead) entered the chat and got into an argument with the ZeldaRET mods, stating that the mods weren't being truthful and they were banned from submitting PRs, etc etc. Screenshots got posted and things got a little ugly.
In the end, the SoH guys left the ZeldaRET chat/community and the mods locked the channel to prevent further off-topic discussion.

....uh, oops?

ahahahahaha
Holy shit! Well, given there were some strong feelings about it, I think that would have happened eventually if it makes you feel better.