• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ghost

Oct 26, 2017
We still have no idea what Hideo Kojima's Death Stranding is about (outside of sticks and ropes) but looking at the three trailers together, I think we can begin to draw some conclusions, or at least connect them to see how they are related.

Namely, there are two things I've begun to understand. The Baby and the monsters.

The Baby:

I'm pretty sure we're seeing the same baby in all trailers. Just look at the shape of his head. It looks like the pod carrying him in trailers #2 and #3 is the same, too.

RfXP1Ak.jpg

One of the mysteries we have with it is where does The Baby come from, and how the hell is he in inside Norman Reedus at the end of trailer #3? Well, if you look closely, when we see The Baby's pod in trailers #2 and #3 they're inittially dark, and when Del Toro's character and Reedus' buddy from the latest trailer go chek on The Baby, it sort of pops out. Like he wasn't there.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

So here's what this looks like to me: The Baby can live inside any human being, and they seem to think it is VERY important. Characters are constantly checking on it, Reedus cries (of joy?) when he sees it in the first trailer, and his buddy makes sure to give Reedus the pod before he is taken by the huge monster in trailer #3.

So The Baby is important. Maybe a new hope for humanity? The pod, I think, allows The Baby to come out of the human carrying it and go to a safe space through which, let's say, Del Toro can hand the The Baby to someone else. In that way, The Baby would never be lost if someone was killed.

Either that or everyone has the same baby-creature-thing. But that doesn't make sense once you see the guy from trailer 3 giving Reedus the pod as he is being taken. The Baby is important. It can save humanity, it can restore life, I don't know, but people are willing to die for it. Or Kojima is giving us a giant red herring.

If The Baby can really be transfered from the pod to the person holding it through an umbilical cord of sorts, this would explain how Reedus ends up pregnant by the end of the latest trailer.

The Hand Monsters

That's how I'm calling the creatures seen (or unseen) in trailers #1 and #3, because they seem to have hands for feet. Or at least hand-like feet.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Some of them have a hand-like head.

Ihr2y3s.jpg

And this thing seems to be all cords/tentacles and hands.

giphy.gif

Clearly they're very bad news. They can become invisible - though you can sort of see them when it's raining - and they can age people and desintegrate them? The scope of their powers is still unknown. But it seems their body has umbilical cord-like things and hands.

Which reminds me of Mads Mikkelsen's character. This is a stretch, but I think one of the Hand Monsters' powers is possession or something like that. That would explain why people prefer to be killed than taken by them.

When Mads' character shows up in trailer 2, he is very much a villanous presence. And he is connected with other soldiers through cords.
giphy.gif

Maybe, just maybe, Mads has been turned by them. I don't know if they're aliens, demons, monsters, experiments gone wrong, but I don't think they would come to us dressed as soldiers. What if, then, these soldiers were turned? Del Toro seems to think hiding from them is a good idea. And Mikkelsen sure looks like he wants to find Del Toro (and The Baby).

AYRv0sc.jpg

tyGqZsl.jpg

AYT6sqD.jpg

I'm by no means saying I've got the story figured out, but I think we're seeing beings coming to Earth (?) and trying to take over men. Maybe we waged war and lost? Maybe that Baby can lead to a new dawn? I don't know. But these 5 beings sure do (by the way, that is an awesome shot).

RNRdRWK.png

Can't wait for Death Stranding. What do you think? Am I just tripping, or could I have tripped onto something?

Savantcore

Oct 28, 2017
I reckon it's a Children of Men situation where people aren't having babies any more. I reckon the aliens/monsters whatever nab foetuses or babies and 'monsterify' them - growing up to be evil soldiers and Mads.
Calling it now the first trailer we saw was the Ending of the game.
No way. I'd wager that it never appears in the game. It was just a tone-setting announcement trailer thing.

MitchKoobski

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
I was getting a real Lovecraftian vibe from the monsters or enemies or whatever they might be. Maybe this "next explosion" or whatever that's a metaphor is what leads to these beings entering the world?

I started to think that maybe they all had their own baby to take with them, but then maybe that doesn't line up with how they all seem focused on protecting this one baby instead.

Not even going to attempt to decipher the baby down the throat.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What if like none of this is to be taken at face value? What if its only symbolical?

OP
OP
Ghost

Ghost

Oct 26, 2017
What if like none of this is to be taken at face value? What if its only symbolical?

Entirely possible, but I don't think they'd spend three trailers giving us this world for it to be only symbolical.

I actually do agree that the first trailer may not even be in the game. It seems totally conceptual with only some of the most important elements showing up again in the following videos. But trailer #2 and especially trailer #3 seem like story scenes.

Last edited:

RangerBAD

Oct 25, 2017
Either it's a Children of Men situation or the baby is a weapon because they're definitely trying to protect it. Either way the baby is clearly the key. This trailer gels with the first trailer, but the whole WW2 Skull Soldier thing of the second trailer doesn't.

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
I actually think the first trailer is no longer relevant given the newest trailer. It seems weird to me otherwise that they would end two trailers with the same shot but with minor changes. (Standing Reedus with the 5 floating beings in front of him. Difference is that Reedus is clothed this time, and they swapped the Beach for a Crater.)

The first trailer is entirely conceptual, and the newest trailer is a new take now that they have some more concrete details worked out about the story they are going for. That's my take on it tbh.

ronin_cse

Oct 30, 2017
Anyone else notice the "scanner" thing or whatever it was that was going off stopped when the first guy gave the baby away to Reedus and then Reedus' sensor activated when he got the baby? We can't really get anything from that but interesting detail none the less (unless I imagined it)

Print_Dog

Oct 27, 2017
I've came to the same conclusions as the OP. Either way, that thumbs up throat baby is important. Kojima for President.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The first body that disintegrates has a painted skull on it that fades into the water. Sam's friend has the same icon on the front of his pistol and it also appears on the masks of the villainous soldiers.

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone else notice the "scanner" thing or whatever it was that was going off stopped when the first guy gave the baby away to Reedus and then Reedus' sensor activated when he got the baby? We can't really get anything from that but interesting detail none the less (unless I imagined it)
I noticed that too and realized that was going to be the player's HUD in a a way.

Axass

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm by no means saying I've got the story figured out, but I think we're seeing beings coming to Earth (?) and trying to take over men.
Yes, the place you see in the end is the impact crater, they're an alien "deathform" which reached Earth on a meteorite, just like life (maybe) reached Earth millions of years ago. That would explain the first explosion bringing life (1st huge meteorite that hit Earth) and the second one bringing death.

OP
OP
Ghost

Ghost

Oct 26, 2017

This guy doesn't seem to need it, but I think you're onto something.
giphy.gif

Aurongel

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The lead singer of Low Roar (whose music is in the first trailer) does the mocap for the guy who ages and gets shot in the face.

Oct 27, 2017
It seems the baby allows the person to see the monsters. When they "activate" the baby the characters feel more aware somehow, thats quite evident in the del toro trailer. Maybe the baby works like some kind of radar?

We need a 4k version of yesterdays trailer.

Justified

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
Im thinking there are 2 dimensions. Trailer 2 is Mads dimension, Trailer 3 is Sams. They can only see the other dimension when they are attached to a baby.

In trailer 2 it doesn't seem like Mads can see GDT in the tunnel, just like they cant see the Mads and crew in trailer 3 without the shoulder tool that works when they have a baby attached. However Mads ends up taking the baby from GDT, and thats why we see him with one in Trailer 3. Now he can use the shoulder tool to see into Sam's world (just like they can see into his)

So Trailer 2 is Mad's world POV, and trailer 3 is Sam's world POV.

Trailer 1 is after the last "explosion or big bang" that Sam describes (or when the Giant explodes) and the two worlds become 1

EndlessNever

Oct 25, 2017
I think the babies are different, but they also power the electronics/suit of whoever has a baby (like someone else said, the scanner on Reddis started working as soon as he has the baby).

Oct 27, 2017
This guy doesn't seem to need it, but I think you're onto something.
giphy.gif

He is carrying a baby container, its wraped on his left shoulder/chest.

Another peculiar thing I noticed in this latest trailer. The guy tries to stab himself to death but is unable to die. This means the creatures want to use people alive for something thatssupposedlyworse than death, what could it be?

Vash

Oct 28, 2017
It seems the creatures can "phase" between two realities/dimensions, and rendering them invisible in "our" world, visible in theirs. In that regard, I believe the baby can too, but is not controlled by the creatures (as some have suggested that some humans are controlled by them/working for them) allowing it to hide in other people's bodies and keeping itself alive that way, but when it leaves the body it has to be in that capsule to keep itself nourished and healthy.

Future_TraX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Basel, Switzerland
Take a look at the spotlight on the shoulder of the one guy, it moves like it's alive and looking out for something or like the heart frequency of the baby.

Connected:
nMoE6rF.png

And in the moment, when he disconnects the baby, it goes off.

Disconnected:
fEp9vm9.png

Deleted member 9317

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
Something tells me this baby is interconnected with the invisible monsters, and that the baby might even have the abilities like the monsters, it's why it's being carried around.

It seems the creatures can "phase" between two realities/dimensions, and rendering them invisible in "our" world, visible in theirs. In that regard, I believe the baby can too, but is not controlled by the creatures (as some have suggested that some humans are controlled by them/working for them) allowing it to hide in other people's bodies and keeping itself alive that way, but when it leaves the body it has to be in that capsule to keep itself nourished and healthy.

My thoughts exactly.

Vapidity

Oct 25, 2017
Internet
I saw someone speculating that the baby powers/guides the device on their backs which is used to detect the creatures in the other dimension.

AngelOFDeath

Nov 13, 2017
I'm not entirely sure if what I saw was a combined figment of imagination. Kojima has that much power in the universe.

Oct 27, 2017
I think the baby is both a story and gameplay device. Storywise it allows the continuation of whomever holds the baby and you can be transported out, to save the last human hope or something to that extend. Gameplay wise it functions as a human effigy in Souls-game, the player can start anew and respawn -> teleporting to a new world. I'm guessing the online aspect will have souls-like functions but with Kojimas own ideas and twists.

gigaslash

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm not sure about the baby theory. Seems like it has some power but it's used like a resource, something that can be harnessed only through the pod. Like it power ups Reedus' freaky flashlight in the new trailer. And it's not even a baby, it's a fetus, maybe the power that makes them valuable is something that fetuses lose when they're born naturally and not "extracted" and put into a pod?
And I don't think there is just one of them, if it was THE baby, it wouldn't be randomly tossed around, like we've seen so far.

Also the reference to big bang and the second explosion, the giants, the handprints, I'm getting a lot of Evangelion vibes here. Maybe giants are like angels and humans' experiments triggered the Second Impact and the state of the world is the result of that? And now they use babies as "cores" which grant them powers to fight (or at least avoid) giants?
Sam is Shinji, Mads is Gendo and del Toro is... eeh Kaji?

Last_colossi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Well it seems like Guillermo and the guys in the latest trailer are all working for "Bridges"

DS1.png

DS2.png

Interesting company logo, I'm sure it has a web in it for a reason.

Jack Scofield

Oct 27, 2017
All I know if that Kojima is fantastic at world building and imagery. I have a feeling that, like with many things, the mystery won't be as interesting as your imagination.

Landford

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It seens to be the case that the eldritch abominations already conquered "Earth" or this particular world. They use humans as slaves, probably as some form of "Police" to try and squash resistence. Tecnology in this world is powered up by "babies", as we seen characters using them to power different kinds of devices. There are pockets of resistence around, fighting back or just trying to survive. We have that man telling them to be quiet, he looks some hardened veteran, either a rogue "police" or a survivor like them. The creatures seen to be extradimensional in nature, phasing in and out of existence.

Proteus

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
You see "cords" but they could be considered "strands" maybe?

noun
noun: strand; plural noun: strands
  1. a single thin length of something such as thread, fiber, or wire, especially as twisted together with others.
    "a strand of cotton"
    synonyms: thread, filament, fiber; More
    • a string of beads or pearls.
    • an element that forms part of a complex whole.
      "certain strands of postmodern thought"
      synonyms: element, component, factor, ingredient, aspect, feature, strain
      "the various strands of the ecological movement"

Standing could have an entirely different meaning.

I assume a lot of us look at Stranding and assume it means to be marooned. It could actually be a process.

Last edited:

Last_colossi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
World is flooded as the result of the second impact ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) so the remaining cities are connected with a spider web of bridges

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Sounds good to me.

Also the 2 guys in the trailer seem to be part of a corpse disposal team, I'm guessing Sam (Reedus) isn't part of their team and is just accompanying them for security reasons? Due to his different suit that has "PORTER" stamped all over it. (Maybe he works for a different company?)

ds3.png

crienne

Oct 25, 2017
You see "cords" but they could be considered "strands" maybe?

Standing could have an entirely different meaning.

So now you have to ask:
- Are they strands that come about with death?
Or
- Is it the act of attaching strands as it relates to the death of people in this world?

Basically how does the -ing suffix interact with the word "strand"? Is it a noun like fletching (arrow fletching) or is it a verb like eating (pie eating).

Proteus

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
So now you have to ask:
- Are they strands that come about with death?
Or
- Is it the act of attaching strands as it relates to the death of people in this world?

Basically how does the -ing suffix interact with the word Death? Is it a noun like fletching (arrow fletching) or is it a verb like eating (pie eating).
I like the idea of it being some sort of after death process. At least based on the title that is what we can assume.

Aesnath

Oct 27, 2017
Well, from the spoken lines in the opening about the "big bangs", the next big thing after life is obviously death. I wouldn't put it past him to have this be some metaphysical exploration of death itself being the problem with the lines possibly connecting to agents of death--motivating them. The baby seems very much like a symbol for life.

I'm not entirely convinced that this will have a coherent narrative.