• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Jan 27, 2019
Fuck off
I first jumped on Facebook around 2006, at first it was harmless enough, I used to get back in touch with some old school friends, I joined a few fan groups for some gaming communities.I probably was addicted for a while, if I wasn't working or gaming, I was sat in front of my PC F5'ing Facebook every 30 seconds.

It only got worse as more of my family, my cousins first mainly as they are close in age to me, then gradually older family members as well. The first problem was information overload, people constantly posting status updates, going to work, photos of meals etc.

That however was ultimately nothing, soon fake drama became a regular thing with family members arguing publicly and people spreading malicious rumours, someone being unfriended could lead to threats and every so often vandalism and fights.

Compounding all of this, conspiracy theories became rampant and deeply held racist beliefs soon became apparent and obvious among several members of my family. I was forced to reconsider my opinion of a lot of them. Heated arguments arose from on multiple occasions. Fuck my own mother is now dating a hardcore conspiracy theorist, I hate his guts and I'm only civil to him because of my mother. I fear his influence will drag her further down the right wing conspiracy theory rabbithole. Even though ironically they didn't interact on social media before starting dating.

Since 2015 I have gone without using Facebook and deleted my account, my mental wellbeing has greatly improved as a result, I still suffer from depression and anxiety, but it is nowhere near as acute as it was when I was still actively using Facebook. To anyone else reading this thinking about reducing social media usage, I say go for it, cut that poison out of your life, for me Facebook is utterly utterly toxic and I'm never going back.

Stalker

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I use the messaging aspect of facebook for a friend group but I don't visit the site at all. People are trash and given a public forum will continue to be trash.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
Absolutely. I got out for a couple of years, then rejoined, then dropped it again after realizing how much I didn't miss it. I despise Facebook. I hate what it has become.

Zampano

The Fallen
Dec 3, 2017
Yup. Deleted about 18 months ago after being deactivated for two years. Can't imagine how much harder the pandemic / lockdown would have been if I'd been continually scrolling hot takes and conspiracy theories from people I kind of like.
Deleted pretty much all social media other than Resetera and Reddit. But I don't know anyone on these sites and only use them to keep up with my interests so it seems fine. Certainly none of the stress and angst that FB used to cause.

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
I got out 7-8 years ago. Just signed up to find old friends to reconnect. Did that and found it had no use for me afterwards.

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
I think the ultimate signifier of self-control is to have it and not use it. But failing that, yeah, delete it.

The Living Tribunal

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Deleted my account after a messy breakup 3 years ago and never looked back, one of the best decisions I've ever made.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Well done OP, I can heavily relate to your experience. Before I straight up nuked mine, I would go through a pattern of disabling it and reenabling it. As the stretches between reenabling it became longer, it would be more and more obvious what an immediate hit it was to my mental health when I got back on. Finally just permanently deleted it about 5 years ago and haven't missed it for a day. Unquestionably a net negative for society IMHO.

Stalker

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Fair enough,I wouldn't even do that becauseFB gets an insane amount of data from messenger.

They already have all your data and it's silly to think they don't. Person-level profiles have been a standard for big data for a long time even ignoring cookies. They don't need you to have a facebook account for this because You still have a facebook account you just don't have access to it right now. Shadow accounts have been a thing for an eternity already and your entire social and professional life is contributing to them on your behalf.

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
I keep my account but hardly ever log onto it outside of catching up with a handful of folks from way back who I otherwise wouldn't have a means of doing so.

I scrolled through my feed properly for the first time in about 6-9 months the other day and I couldn't imagine checking that out on a regular basis.

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
I have yet to see someone say they escaped the social media swamp and regretted it later.

Djalminha

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 22, 2020
I did the same with Twitter, it had a similar positive effect. I absolutely hate Facebook but I keep my account; living abroad, it's the only way to keep in touch with some friends and fam. However, I no longer scroll, I don't post or look at anything. I hope they burn and get replaced by something less malignant, we used to have Twenty in Spain, which was way less toxic, but they of course lost to Facebook and ended up disappearing. Fuck Facebook.

ss1

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't close my FB account. But I did do was delete the app on my phone. The singular act cause enough friction for me to check my FB account on a very irregular basis.

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
too bad I need FB for my business so I cant get out easily

Same, I need it for work. I will never stop harping on about how shitty it is of Facebook to force professionals to use private accounts for their business tools.

To be fair though I kinda stopped going to Facebook though except for messaging purposes. I never read the feed there or like things anymore.

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sick and it's the only way I'm able to socialize with people, for the most part. But I'm very aware of its downsides and don't spend much time on the feed.

Deleted member 12028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't close my FB account. But I did do was delete the app on my phone. The singular act cause enough friction for me to check my FB account on a very irregular basis.
I did this too at first but I found myself just checking the mobile site. I deleted everything except messenger at this point. Would delete that if I could but too many ppl on there.

MGPanda

Feb 25, 2018
Never had Facebook, but felt the same when I left Twitter years ago. Now the only "communities" I use are Era and WhatsApp to speak with friends and family.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
One day I'll cut off any type of social media or app I'm in. I think it's just a matter of time.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I'm too lazy to figure out how to stay in contact with too many people. People I rarely speak with but still enjoy seeing updates on their lives, and will sometimes see a post that draws me into conversation with them and we end up chatting and hanging out to catch up.

I cultivated my feed specifically, and use it sparingly.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
I still have my account, but I can't even remember the last time I logged in. Maybe 2019. Actually going through the steps to delete it now seems kinda pointless, so it just exists there.

Ploppee

Nov 28, 2018
Yep. Similarly I deleted Instagram on New Years Day and it's helped my mental health immeasurably. I was unemployed for most of 2020 so sitting there watching people live their lives whilst i had no money and nothing to do was complete torture.

We're not wired to know what everyone is up to at all times and it creates huge anxiety. I'm much happier in my smaller world.

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
This, but instagram in my case. Insta was the worst when it came to my FOMO and comparing myself to other people.

Dec 25, 2018
Did the same with another social media site a while back, woke up one day and realised I hadn't posted there in a year, and deliberated if I wanted to post again.

Wish I could give up FB, but living in a remote location its my main link to my IRL social circles especially with things at the moment (but honestly there have been moments where I was close to just going to hell with it).

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
My biggest regret with closing Facebook is how now there's no immediately easy way to know whose birthday it is and if I'm not actively searching replies or get reminded by my mom I'll likely miss a few.

Besides that it's been nothing but positives

Jun 19, 2020
Stopped posting on the wall when my parents joined. Used it for the messanger for some years. Deleted my account last year.

StarStorm

"This guy are sick"
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I would post Happy Birthdays for old co-workers and some extended family and friends. Ironically, I didn't use it to connect with friends from middle or high school. I just didn't care lol. I also got stalked from people I no longer talk to.
It was such a distraction when I had it. Deleted it 3 years ago. Figured I would go through some sort of withdrawal not having it, but it never happened.

Discord supplanted facebook without the toxicity or drama. Doubt any of my friends and family still on there would jump ship like I did, but I had no attachment to anything they offered whether it was events, clubs, messenger, etc. They rely on FOMO to keep you hooked. Just gotta not give a fuck about that.

Still have a Twitter account, but I rarely use it.

Last edited:

AIan

Oct 20, 2019
I'm Facebook-free and Insta-free and loving it.

I still go on Twitter occasionally, but only to look at funny/meme tweets and updates on things like games.

Wubby

Oct 27, 2017
Japan!
I stopped posting to my main account maybe 5ish years ago. I have a second one that I use for the hobby groups. Sadly Facebook has become the main forum of sorts for 3D printing and their manufacturers. But I absolutely hate the layout compared to a traditional forum or even Reddit. It's just an absolute pain to use.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
kAuVHX2.png

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
I have an Oculus quest and use messenger so I still have my account. But I unfollowed everyone so my mural is just empty when I need to go there for any reason lol

Dec 16, 2017
I would like to get rid of it but have to use it in order to communicate with people from Eastern Europe...
Also, before Corona I mainly used it to organize and get information on concerts I want to attend. Is there an alternative for this? Bandsintown misses a lot of stuff.

Combo

Banned
Jan 8, 2019
The Etika RIP mentioned social media as one of the factors that harmed his mental health. Kids in school need to be taught the dangers of these things.

blackhawk163

Oct 28, 2017
Both my wife and I have all our family members spread out across various states/countries, and it's their primary way of contact. That being said we don't care. Our accounts have been deleted for years. FOMO means nothing to us. If it's that important, a phone call or text will take care of that, same goes for instagram/twitter. It's just not healthy.

My boss asked if I could start an account so that I could help him out with his business page, I kindly refused.

Era and cloudynights are enough for me as far as social media is concerned. My wife has a Pinterest that she uses for gathering food recipes.

LaughingGear

Nov 2, 2017
Got rid of my account around this time last year and Insta a few months after that. It's done my mental health the world of good. Now I just mostly RT stuff I care about on Twitter and leave it at that.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Still have my account, check in once a week or so. I almost never post on it though. I still use Messenger quite a bit, but since they've decoupled that from Facebook it's made everything much easier.

Honestly, Era is the social platform that I need to find the will to quit for the sake of my mental health lol

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
I live on a block of about 150 apartments.
There's a facebook group for residents.
Where people discuss things like what's the best electricity supplier, what's going on with the broken gate etc.

That's the only use for facebook I have, I don't interact with facebook friends.

I signed in the other day and it straight up said "enable 2FA so that we can give you better adverts" lol

StarStorm

"This guy are sick"
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I live on a block of about 150 apartments.
There's a facebook group for residents.
Where people discuss things like what's the best electricity supplier, what's going on with the broken gate etc.

That's the only use for facebook I have, I don't interact with facebook friends.

I signed in the other day and it straight up said "enable 2FA so that we can give you better adverts" lol

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
I stick with Facebook Messenger because there are some people who I am in contact with that don't use other social media applications like local friends and family.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
I keep my account but hardly ever log onto it outside of catching up with a handful of folks from way back who I otherwise wouldn't have a means of doing so.

I scrolled through my feed properly for the first time in about 6-9 months the other day and I couldn't imagine checking that out on a regular basis.

Same here.

I took the app off of my phone and just use the mobile website.

Makes it less tempting to check since I have to log back in every time.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
I have it just because I did the mistake of using "log in with Facebook" in several websites so now I am stuck with having my account forever. My app on Android has no permissions and I dont even have it on my homescreen. I spent the whole 2019 without any social media, now I am back on Twitter when there is some interesting event going on and I check Instagram once a week or even less. Huge net positive effect in mental health.