• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
How does everyone view Shuro? A sizable part of the manga readership hasn't been too hot on him as a person after this part in the manga.

For me, I understand all the arguments in his defense and everything, I think those arguments are largely correct, but on a personal level the things he said really kinda piss me off.

Can't help it.

Last edited:

Hoot

Nov 12, 2017
I do get Shuro in some way, especially in hearing that the love of your life (at least for him) has been what would be the equivalent of frankenstein'd on and then turned into an Eldritch Monstrosity, and the people responsible are acting like "oopsie i did a fucky wucky" (in addition to participating in what would be considered in-universe as incredibly dubious activities). I feel bad for Marcille, but I also don't begrudge at all the others to absolutely not want to trust her.

On the other hand, my man basically bailed on his "true love", only to come back and act incredibly irresponsibly himself as Laios pointed out. And that just means he would've probably failed even harder.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
i give him one benefit of doubt

love can make you blind to obvious fucking issues

luckily laios punched that into his skull

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
On the other hand, my man basically bailed on his "true love",
He went to gather his retainers and mount a separate rescue mission.. which actually pisses me off when I think about it.

Why the fuck would he not mention his plans to Laios and Marcille? Why not tell them "I'll go get my retainers and supplies real quick, let's go rescue Falin", instead of just bailing on them altogether?

Because he doesn't like Lauos and Marcille without Falin around?

Hoot

Nov 12, 2017
Pretty much, lmao. His biggest flaw is probably that he has main character syndrome (or also plainly, just trust issues). That whole sibling fight between him and Laios was so good for that too.

The trust thing could be slightly justified concerning Laios when you think about that he will sometimes do rash things that can put others in jeopardy, although they are pretty minor all things considered (not telling about his sword is probably the biggest blemish against his current party)

hat_hair

Oct 26, 2017
Why the fuck would he not mention his plans to Laios and Marcille? Why not tell them "I'll go get my retainers and supplies real quick, let's go rescue Falin", instead of just bailing on them altogether?

He didn't realise Falin was missing when they first teleported back to the surface, and by the time he found out Laios's group had already gone back in.

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
Shuro 100% thought WILL and LOVE would carry him through to saving Falin

that's part of why he's angry imo, cuz he finds out that's fucking wrong, and that sacrifice doesn't always mean what you think it means

fifthblight

Apr 8, 2024
Damn. I thought the dragon episodes were intense.

Still can't get a read on Kabru who goes back and forth between helping the party and debating killing the party, haha. Honestly the character work in this part of the story is incredible in how complex a lot of these characters are made to be. Laois 'wins' the argument with Shuro but you're left realizing there's plenty of flaws to his argument and how he approaches things.

the manga gives you a couple more brief flashbacks and a little more context for kabru's, uh. distaste for the party's methods, let's say. but he is also meant to be hard to get an accurate read on! he's serving as a foil for laios and as a social chameleon, who is very interested in people and how they think and affect things.

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
at the same time i will say, i dont think Shuro could ever strike Laios down easily, he just aint built like that

Laios could show his neck for days and Shuri would try to end things through 'legal' means

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Another funny thing is that Falin were to miraculously turn back to normal and magically be there to hear the things Shuro was saying it would have gone bad for him.

" I will kill you Laios and then hand Marcille over to the authorities"

She'd pull out her morning star on him.

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
at the end of the day he's just a weird friend

we all got weird friends we fist fight sometimes

fifthblight

Apr 8, 2024
How does everyone view Shuro? A sizable part of the manga readership hasn't been too hot on him as a person after this part in the manga.

For me, I understand all the arguments in his defense and everything, I think those arguments are largely correct, but on a personal level the things he said really kinda piss me off.

Can't help it.

i'm pretty neutral on him, in all honesty. sure, i hate being around people who would prefer to stew in resentment rather than be direct about an issue, but i understand that there's cultural context for his behavior--and, tbh, i feel like his early interactions with laios as outlined in the manga were at least semi-autobiographical for kui. there's a lot of frustration there.

he's a guy who's a bit myopic and self-centered and has difficulty honoring the connections he has with other people even if he does care about them, which is why the narrative won't let him succeed. dungeon meshi is about nourishing those around you as well as yourself. and i think the story needs a guy like that to contrast against the touden party.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
One of my favourite moments from the manga, being adapted so wonderfully in the show, is triggering something in my 30-something Autistic brain being all too relatable of a neuroSpicy experience.

y8Mvymf.jpeg
iSe0mQa.jpeg

FPEcg70.jpeg
kQPyFJl.jpeg

It's sad, because as others have probably mentioned, Falin is so similar to Laios in that department and Shuro totally overlooks it because of her plumage.
Falin only real friend is Marcille too she was awkward in school and Marcell basically had to follow her to a dungeon to like her
They're the same person

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
at the same time i will say, i dont think Shuro could ever strike Laios down easily, he just aint built like that

Laios could show his neck for days and Shuri would try to end things through 'legal' means
Kabru wouldn't hesitate as soon as he showed neck Laios would be bleeding on the floor lol
Seems like it because there's absolutely no reason not to wait for Laios to wake up or at least tell Marcille I'll be back in like a day or 2 (it doesn't seem it took him look but maybe it was because shuro didn't sleep and eat and speed-up the dungeon) and get more people
Straight up Shuro seems kinda self centered in a way

Eric_S

Nov 29, 2017
He went to gather his retainers and mount a separate rescue mission.. which actually pisses me off when I think about it.

He's waiting for an answer for his proposal. Laios has, from his horizon, been in the way when trying to go out and eat alone with Falin and other dating attempts. (That surely Falin could and would have acted upon if she really wanted some alone time with Shuro)

So Shuro thinks it's best to just cut him out, and make himself the hero. Not that I think that Falin would be too impressed to learn that her brother was left alone in his struggles.

Or so I speculate.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
Falin only real friend is Marcille too she was awkward in school and Marcell basically had to follow her to a dungeon to like her
They're the same person
Yeah, that's the best (worst?) thing of it all, Shuro has a idealized version of Falin that doesn't really exist, and the only two people that know it are Laios and Marcille.
It's a shame, because it seems he was taught to do things that way from his childhood, or at least that's what I've gathered.

GeeseHoward

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I never took that interaction as Shuro disliking Laios, more like he dislikes that he likes him, because he is everything he was taught not to be, but that he clearly craves: openness, eagerness, straightforwardness and naive wholehearted trust, all of it traits that his culture taught him to suppress. And that goes double for the trust, this is a world where backstabbing is not just common, its somewhat expected.

Like you see their parting words and its clear they are good friends, just sometimes you gotta punch it out.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that's the best (worst?) thing of it all, Shuro has a idealized version of Falin that doesn't really exist, and the only two people that know it are Laios and Marcille.
It's a shame, because it seems he was taught to do things that way from his childhood, or at least that's what I've gathered.
He's a noble from basically feudal Japan
He pretty much doesn't have the tools to deal with Laios
It's funny that his Nanny (or whatever you actually call her) knows this

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Finally watched the ep itself. Absolutely ruled.. The red makes stuff seem so much more impactful than the manga and the manga was already intense as fuck

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
Also, I know Falin breasted boobily on the landing, but i think if you weren't wearing a bra (which Falin wasn't, because she just had one of Laois' spare shirts) and you still had breasts that's probably what actually would happen, so in that sense I get it.

it did sort of detract from her ballerina landing though

re shuro and the touden siblings minor adventure's guide omake spoiler it is so fucking funny in the genderswap one when if shuro gets genderswapped she would start crushing on laois instead

also fem!kabru buttering up laois

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
kui always keeps things either separated by fantasy, or by character personality

that's why them harpy tits were just… kinda there

but that shirt rip, THAT. caused a reaction

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
do you think laois would eat a harpie? like, he ate a harpie egg

Omegasquash

Oct 31, 2017
Glad Shuro got taught.

And I still have zero trust in Kabru. Getting big "Top 10 Anime Betrayal" energy from him later in the series.

Remember folks, you gotta eat, you gotta sleep. Can't take care of other people if you don't take care of yourself.

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
look i dont wanna get into whether or not he'd eat his sister as long as she died a monster

i DONT wanna get into it

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
re shuro and the touden siblings minor adventure's guide omake spoiler it is so fucking funny in the genderswap one when if shuro gets genderswapped she would start crushing on laois instead

also fem!kabru buttering up laois
Haven't read the manga but this makes too much sense considering how he is with Falin who's just femlaios

Crashman

Oct 27, 2017
I think Shuro's got communication issues just like Laois. If you just go with the show/story proper, it doesn't come off as that much. Maybe just him trying to be nice, and then reaching a boiling point with the Falin incident, but the extras paint him as not being able to really talk to anyone that isn't part of his retainers. Maybe its supposed to be culture shock, but he just roles with Laois mishearing his name, and so everyone else thinks its Shuro as well. And there's also that bit about Marcille's predecessor, the marriage seeker, who Chichuck and Namari want out of the party, and they just drag Shuro in there as backup regardless of whatever his opinion is about her. He just gets pushed around all the time by anyone who wasn't trained to be his servant. So given the context of the extras it does make it more clear why Shuro is envious of Laois being able to just say what he thinks earnestly, despite what Laios doing otherwise being overbearing.