• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Crashman

Oct 27, 2017
Just saw this on R/DungeonMeshi. Didn't really even notice that the same scene was used from both their perspectives in the episode.

two-different-perspective-v0-miz9meuo0twc1.jpeg

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada

Rated-G

Oct 29, 2017

sophora

Oct 29, 2017
Been watching this in dub, they've done really well. That recent Marcille clip made me choke on my coffee.

JAlpsWanderer

Oct 27, 2017
Anime for Witch Hat Atelier is in the works, so you're getting a third one.

Normally I'd consider that a bold statement, but man we've been eating good lately. I don't know anything about Witch Hat Atelier other than a quick search, but it's now on my list of things to watch out for.

Back to DunMeshi, is this show actually popular? There seems to be a sizeable Twitter following but I haven't seen much fanfare about it otherwise.

The anime adaption is so good, but I'm worried about if we'll ever see the rest adapted.

Yonafunu

Oct 26, 2017
Normally I'd consider that a bold statement, but man we've been eating good lately. I don't know anything about Witch Hat Atelier other than a quick search, but it's now on my list of things to watch out for.

Back to DunMeshi, is this show actually popular? There seems to be a sizeable Twitter following but I haven't seen much fanfare about it otherwise.

The anime adaption is so good, but I'm worried about if we'll ever see the rest adapted.

Don't worry, WHA is very good. Interesting and original world building, lovely characters, cool magic and gorgeous art.

Frieren, Dungeon Meshi and Witch Hat Atelier has been the new fantasy manga trifecta for a while, so all three getting an anime within a year or three of each other is incredible. Hopefully the anime for WHA gets even a fraction of the love its contemporaries have gotten.

As far as Dungeon Meshi goes, I think it'll be fine. I'm not on Twitter or any other anime spaces beyond this thread, so I could't tell you how it's doing in the west. At least Trigger themselves seem to be big fans, with the director of the anime having first pitched this adaptation almost 10 years ago, and I doubt they would've picked it up without plans to do the whole thing. More importantly, the manga is popular. I'm not worried.

Last edited:

VPplaya

Nov 20, 2018
This episode was so good. I have been struggling lately and the really pure depiction of someone with neurodivergent tendancies really resonated with me

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
This episode was so good. I have been struggling lately and the really pure depiction of someone with neurodivergent tendencies really resonated with me

Same, as I written a post a few pages ago that sequence from the manga (which is my favourite) was beautifully adapted in this episode. We get a look into Laios character, where his demeanour of "DUH YOU WANT TO TALK ABOUT DUNGEON MONSTERS?!" cracked slightly when Shuro questioned if he was truly taking things seriously. Laios' the sort who wears his heart on his sleeve, and Shuro is 100% guilty in this instance, because he never even tried to express his anger and talk things out in their prior engagements.

He can be excused a little because direct confrontation is hard for people from his culture (I think the creator has gone on saying the country Shuro's from is fantasy 17th Century Japan while Laios and Falin are from fantasy 16th Century Belgium), but Laios is in the right to push back. He has a LOT going on in his mind, a LOT of conflicting thoughts and feelings, but the notion that he's "not taking things seriously" is plain wrong when the only living relative that cares for you died and was resurrected into the form of a Chimera.

Despite being the weirdest character and is Autistically coded, Laios' more "normal" reactions are frighteningly realistic.

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Same, as I written a post a few pages ago that sequence from the manga (which is my favourite) was beautifully adapted in this episode. We get a look into Laios character, where his demeanour of "DUH YOU WANT TO TALK ABOUT DUNGEON MONSTERS?!" cracked slightly when Shuro questioned if he was truly taking things seriously. Laios' the sort who wears his heart on his sleeve, and Shuro is 100% guilty in this instance, because he never even tried to express his anger and talk things out in their prior engagements.

He can be excused a little because direct confrontation is hard for people from his culture (I think the creator has gone on saying the country Shuro's from is fantasy 17th Century Japan while Laios and Falin are from fantasy 16th Century Belgium), but Laios is in the right to push back. He has a LOT going on in his mind, a LOT of conflicting thoughts and feelings, but the notion that he's "not taking things seriously" is plain wrong when the only living relative that cares for you died and was resurrected into the form of a Chimera.

Despite being the weirdest character and is Autistically coded, Laios' more "normal" reactions are frighteningly realistic.
I also just really like that the fight between the two of them doesn't have some sort of clear winner even though Laios comes out on top. Like he makes his inspirational speech with the fanfare style music playing in the background but then that cuts out and they really hash things out. Both of them have good points.

Kabru must have enjoyed watching that back and forth so much.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Oh my god I love this show.

And I won't stand for complaints about the new opening or ending. They're both great.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
How many episodes of this are we going to get? Any word on another season? I don't want this to end!
24 episodes for this first season, so 7 more episodes

they usually wait to confirm if another season is coming depending on how the first one does

if i were to spitball, two full seasons would be enough for them to tell the full story at the pace they are going

if they get less episodes next season it'd be rough tho

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
I also just really like that the fight between the two of them doesn't have some sort of clear winner even though Laios comes out on top. Like he makes his inspirational speech with the fanfare style music playing in the background but then that cuts out and they really hash things out. Both of them have good points.

Kabru must have enjoyed watching that back and forth so much.

This little shit bird had front-row seats for the drama (while Senshi provided the popcorn), and I love that for him.

View: https://twitter.com/404Eules/status/1783841696356475280

GMF6JvHbgAA7Efq

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If they immediately confirm a new season for next year, I'll consider not reading the manga.

OP
OP
Kuro

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Its pretty out there since Arknights very rarely does collabs. I only really recall Monster Hunter as one of the big ones. Arknights actually has super good gameplay compared to most gacha and the music is sublime. Its also not as sexualized as a lot of gacha although that stuff still creeps in.

TheBryanJZX90

Nov 29, 2017
Well this series has had quite the turn...

I hope the season ends on a 'calmer' note like Frieren did. Frieren ramped up into looking like we'd have a pile of dead minor characters and a big combat arc finale. Instead we got the big combat a bit in advance of the actual end of the season and then got a nice enjoyable falling action that was mostly talking and character development, with there being no real antagonist left (Frieren and Serie being more of a conflict of ideals than being foes).
100% agreed I had the same concern with Frieren and thought it went on to end wonderfully. I am even more concerned with this show now because of all the manga readers crowing here in the thread that this is the point where they started liking Dungeon Meshi, makes it seem more of a permanent change in tone.

Then again... maybe it's more that our main four characters were always just oblivious to the real tone of their adventure.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
100% agreed I had the same concern with Frieren and thought it went on to end wonderfully. I am even more concerned with this show now because of all the manga readers crowing here in the thread that this is the point where they started liking Dungeon Meshi, makes it seem more of a permanent change in tone.

Then again... maybe it's more that our main four characters were always just oblivious to the real tone of their adventure.
As I said once before, it doesn't ever move away from comedy and cooking.

Overarching story will keep escalating, but the main crew will keep on doing their thing. In general the ability to balance comedy with heavier parts is one of the story's strenght. It can go from 0 to 100 and back down without skipping a beat.

Krepu

Nov 14, 2018
I don't think I saw anyone say that they only started to like Dungeon Meshi after this chapter/episode. What I did see is people saying this is a turning point for the story, but personally I felt that the turning point was many episodes ago during the red dragon fight.

I won't say anything about which direction the story and the tone will go, but what I can say is that I loved the manga from start to finish.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
The next episode should dispel the grimdark only accusations

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Overarching story will keep escalating, but the main crew will keep on doing their thing. In general the ability to balance comedy with heavier parts is one of the story's strenght. It can go from 0 to 100 and back down without skipping a beat.

There's one moment in particular I think that would be at the start of a hypothetical next season that I was cry laughing at in the manga. Even trying to decipher it in Japanese, it was just so fucking darkly hilarious