Panquequera

Feb 8, 2021
spoilers just in case for a theory I have:

I think marcille's father is a human/tall man with the fact that death took him before her and you can see the paintings of an old man next to little marcille or just by himself in some scenes also i thought pipi was the cat but I think the cat was mean to represent Izutsumi lol

I watched it a bit high so maybe I missed it and they actually confirmed it but I don't think they ever hinted at that before lol

also dog!laios is way better than wolf!laios

Ludonymist

Jul 2, 2022
"Must be my imagination" *looking up* ...! ^_^

Edit: my biggest laugh, gratuitous shots aside

Last edited:

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, wasn't expecting a new party member

Also they wilding with that Senshi fanservice

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
laois-and-dog-some-more-ryoko-sketches-v0-7wtduaknojpc1.jpg

From a Daydream Hour, I believe

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This episode reminded me Sanji from One Piece would definitely get along with Senshi

Frieren would call Marcille a punk tho 😌

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Why tho? Frieren's pretty chill and nothing about Marcille would be uniquely abrasive to her.

I'm just joshing, was just thinking of the part where Marcille revealed one of her fears being people dying before she does. I assumed that that was partly referencing her aging slower than others, but maybe I'm off on that

Anyways, I know Frieren is chill, I was just thinking that she would look at all that and think "Can't relate..."

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
I was just thinking that she would look at all that and think "Can't relate..."
Wait, isn't being melancholic and sad about her short-lived friends getting old and dying her thing?

It is just that Frieren's sadness is more accepting melancholy, while Marcille seemingly can't cope half as well.

P. S. It is kinda funny how there are two shows featuring elves being sad about non-elf lifespans in such close proximity. I realize it is probably a fantasy trope that is not particularly rare, and I think Aragorn and Galadriel had a thing about it, but still, something something Doofenschmirtz, something something two nickels.

Last edited:

hat_hair

Oct 26, 2017
P. S. It is kinda funny how there are two shows featuring elves being sad about non-elf lifespans in such close proximity. I realize it is probably a fantasy trope that is not particularly rare, and I think Aragorn and Galadriel had a thing about it, but still, something something Doofenschmirtz, something something two nickels.

And it's only been a year since Otaku Elf, which came at it more from the human side of the relationship but did feature the concept.
While she's not an Elf, Holo from Spice and Wolf also embodies the same trope.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
clr9GGs.png

Wait, isn't being melancholic and sad about her short-lived friends getting old and dying her thing?

It is just that Frieren's sadness is more accepting melancholy, while Marcille seemingly can't cope half as well.

Fair enough, yea just chalk it up to coping better than Marcille does lol

OP
OP
Kuro

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
This is one of my favorite episodes visually so far. Really great work with a chapter that I felt really cemented Laios and Marcille's friendship. Izutsumi the rascal's introduction was a fun opener.

Also Laios said

View: https://youtu.be/LtH7l-dhHZQ

grand

Oct 25, 2017
Oh. She's a literal cat girl lol

Welcome to the team, Catra Izutsumi. I wonder if she'll be a temporary or permanent 6th 5th ranger.

fifthblight

Apr 8, 2024
absolutely cannot wait until they get to the
dungeon rabbit fight.

by far one of my favorite bits of the manga.

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
If I've learned my lesson from how important the living painting story ended up being, there's gotta be something important about that book popping up in Marcille's dream. Granted it being the ending image of the ED is a pretty big tip-off, haha.

Oddish1

Oct 25, 2017
Nice to finally get Izutsumi (Izutsumi) as part of the cast. The Nightmare chapter did follow right after Izutsumi joined the party in the manga but it was slightly less awkward there since they were in separate chapters. Although on their own they're both very strong parts. I really liked the latter in particular for some really good character moments with Marcille and Laios.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
I tried to rewatch the current opening/ending to see if the cat girl is referenced and instead found her outright in the 1st opening. Cheeky anime lol

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I was moving around a lot during this episode, and somehow I missed the entire wolf Laios?
I only saw him go into the dream, then had to rely on audio, and then when I got back he was fully Tall man, but old (which lined up with the audio).
I thought Marcille imagining him as a dog was just his personality, was he actually a dog in there?

...maybe I should just rewatch the episode...

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
I love how the nightmare episode gives you a peek at both Laios' and Marcille's issues.

Of course, since these are dreams, these things can be solved by bonking the embodiment of death of loved ones with a book and dropping giant monster on strained or failed relationships.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
They really stepped up for the dream part. I need to go back and see if they added all the portraits. (They did speedrun it and they skipped the bit where Itsuzumi wonders if she should just run away the second they start discussing cooking the nightmares)

Porl

Nov 6, 2017
They really stepped up for the dream part. I need to go back and see if they added all the portraits. (They did speedrun it and they skipped the bit where Itsuzumi wonders if she should just run away the second they start discussing cooking the nightmares)
Yeah 80% of the paintings were anime additions

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
damn i just realised they cut the line where Laois is like 'this is why i hate the sixth floor, it's all mental attacks' like he's doing a dungeon run for the fourth time in a week

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
damn i just realised they cut the line where Laois is like 'this is why i hate the sixth floor, it's all mental attacks' like he's doing a dungeon run for the fourth time in a week
One thing I can't really tell very well is just how far the average adventurer goes. It seems like they're at a pretty deep level and that not many people end up where they are, but I guess that line implies they've been down to this level before? Though they've been mentioning that corpse retrievers don't often go below the first few levels.
Like these last few episodes once they started trekking on and everyone else returned to the surface I got the feeling they're going into the really dangerous parts where few people have explored, but maybe that's not entirely the case.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
One thing I can't really tell very well is just how far the average adventurer goes. It seems like they're at a pretty deep level and that not many people end up where they are, but I guess that line implies they've been down to this level before? Though they've been mentioning that corpse retrievers don't often go below the first few levels.
Like these last few episodes once they started trekking on and everyone else returned to the surface I got the feeling they're going into the really dangerous parts where few people have explored, but maybe that's not entirely the case.
This is the level where the old party was originally routed by the dragon.