Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
techcrunch.com

Dell discloses data breach of customers' physical addresses | TechCrunch

The technology giant refused to say how many customers are affected by its data breach
www.bleepingcomputer.com

Dell warns of data breach, 49 million customers allegedly affected

Dell is warning customers of a data breach after a threat actor claimed to have stolen information for approximately 49 million customers.

As first reported by Daily Dark Web, a threat actor named Menelik attempted to sell a Dell database on the Breach Forums hacking forum on April 28th.

The threat actor said they stole data from the computer maker for "49 million customer and other information systems purchased from Dell between 2017-2024."

Dell states that the following information was accessed by the threat actor during the breach:
  • Name
  • Physical address
  • Dell hardware and order information, including service tag, item description, date of order, and related warranty information

Got the email 20m ago. We believe there is not a significant risk to our customers given the type of information involved.

I mean sure it's not a credit card leak but since when is your (home) address not considered significant?

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
it's wild to think it's going on 20 years since I bought something from dell

CNSBarry

Oct 27, 2017
Well now i don't feel too bad about them shipping me and never charging me for my monitor!

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunately your name and address are already all over the public web and searchable in Google, thanks to scraping companies.

Used to be you'd get a book of most everyone in your town's phone numbers and physical addresses delivered right to your home.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Bad PR response, but they're pretty much right. Name and address is public information in most cases, though people who rent or live with others are able to stay under the radar more easily.

I mean sure it's not a credit card leak but since when is your (home) address not considered significant?

Basically the opposite, it's only very recent (last ~5-10 years) that anybody would have mistakenly thought this is privileged information.

Last edited:

Edward

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
For homeowners, your name and address regularly get scraped from public records.
I searched my name and city once out of curiosity and it not only listed every single address i have ever lived at but it knew everyone related to me, their ages, their phone numbers and their addresses.

And anyone can get access to it. So when i see stuff like this i don't even think twice about it. Now, if peoples banking information got breached as that's how you used to have to pay if you had dell credit it's been a minute since i had it so i don't know if they let you just pay with a ebt/credit now or not but that would be something i would consider both significant and catastrophic

Alcoremortis

Oct 25, 2017
The last Dell I bought was in 2004, though I think I just went to a store and bought it with cash because I didn't have a credit card at the time. I also stopped using the email I used then so that's probably why I didn't get an email.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
I grew up with just about everyone being in the White Pages that was littered all over our neighborhoods every year lol

But glad that stuff is harder to find these days.

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
It's technically public record for most people and, for the general population, it's not a significant point of data even if it weren't public record.

Exceptions would be those at risk for assorted reasons, but they are relatively rare cases and if it's REALLY serious, they're already probably taking steps to mitigate that information being any more public than it already is.

Pillville

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio

Some of you kids grew up without phone books didn't you?
They used to regularly deliver a free book that contained everyone's name, address, and phone number (unless you specifically told the phone company not to include you).

Kenai

Oct 26, 2017
Yea...phone books used to be a thing for a while, if it's only name and address that's not actually very much. Still shouldn't happen though....