• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Free 100MB download for a pretty cool game, though it's best experienced after playing undertale.
Understatement of the century, in both halves of your sentence lol. It's a damn great game, but if anyone's thinking of playing this before Undertale, please don't. Play that first.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
the free chapter one 'demo' was my game of the year 2018, closely beating out Spider-Man and Wandersong

give it a go, ya

Mercenary09

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I imagine it's technically considered a demo on ps4 like the free life is strange 2 thing was.
That is very disappointing because just like the LiS thing this isn't a demo. It's the first chapter of a new game. Both of those should've had them but for some dumb reason PlayStation and Xbox act like they are demos.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
I'm not seeing this on US PSN at all.

That is very disappointing because just like the LiS thing this isn't a demo. It's the first chapter of a new game. Both of those should've had them but for some dumb reason PlayStation and Xbox act like they are demos.
Isn't that up to the devs? Free to play games have trophies and even the free Prelude demo for the NBA 2K games have trophies on PS4. Plus, I thought Toby Fox wasn't a fan of trophies, which is why the Undertale trophies were easy and intentionally dumb.

Mercenary09

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not seeing this on US PSN at all.

Isn't that up to the devs? Free to play games have trophies and even the free Prelude demo for the NBA 2K games have trophies on PS4. Plus, I thought Toby Fox wasn't a fan of trophies, which is why the Undertale trophies were easy and intentionally dumb.
I mean maybe but I find it strange why both of these games were listed as demos instead of games. Demos aren't allowed to have trophies/achievements. If when submitting their games Sony/Microsoft decided to label them as demos then the developers wouldn't even have the choice for trophies/achievements.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Understatement of the century, in both halves of your sentence lol. It's a damn great game, but if anyone's thinking of playing this before Undertale, please don't. Play that first.

Why? Is it a direct sequel?

Haven't played either, but was going to use this free opportunity to see if I'd enjoy Undertale.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
There is nothing on PC that isn't on this right? Undertale had stuff only PC could do.

Nope, this one doesn't have any meta elements like that.

Haven't played either, but was going to use this free opportunity to see if I'd enjoy Undertale.

No, but there is stuff in this game that you won't understand why the way its presented in this game makes it a big deal if you haven't played and completed Undertale.

Also if you play this first, and then play Undertale you'll be extremely confused.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017

its in a weird territory, but suffice to say undertale sets up certain expectations which deltarune plays with in interesting ways.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Spent 20 mins already, I played it on PC but didn't check every little stuff so I know what to do now.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
I was so ready to play through the game again on PS4.....but I don't live in Europe.

Saikyo

Oct 25, 2017
Is this a complete game? O.o
No, just chapter 1 like the demo on PC
Is it okay to play this without ever having played Undertale?
You "can" play it without undertale but there is one character that is spoiled that undertale hides for some time until you do one of other routes other than
neutral route
What type of game is this exactly, does it play like undertale?
In gameplay its undertale with three characters than just the protagonist, not in black & white and there are nicer animations this time. Story eh...dunno how to explain.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Will download and play over the weekend.

No doubt though the new secrety secret thing Toby snuck into these versions would have been found out by then,

Heck, probably would be found by the time I wake up tomorrow.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's like "What if Undertale was a Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga-style RPG?" Are you imagining it? That's the game.
No, just chapter 1 like the demo on PC

You "can" play it without undertale but there is one character that is spoiled that undertale hides for some time until you do one of other routes other than
neutral route

In gameplay its undertale with three characters than just the protagonist, not in black & white and there are nicer animations this time. Story eh...dunno how to explain.
Sounds good I'm going to get this

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
d60.png

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
how many undertale threads are there gonna be once PT finally plays it

Amibguous Cad

Oct 25, 2017
I bet once it's all said and done, Deltarune -> Undertale play order will be an interesting way to experience the games. For chapter 1, though, you're better off having played UT.

Deleted member 9317

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
I would not discourage anyone from playing this, especially the people who have never played UNDERTALE.

I hadn't played UNDERTALE until last week and I probably wouldn't have if DELTARUNE didn't convince me to.

I am in love with UNDERTALE and it's because of DELTARUNE'S availability, accessibility, gameplay, story, and the heart that this series is filled with.

Play it people, and then fall in love with the mystery and creativity of Toby Fox's creations.

ThatsMyTrunks

Mokuzai Studio
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
San Antonio, TX
Deltarune Chapter 1 is incredible, and does not require a playthrough of Undertale to enjoy it.

A playthrough of Undertale though, would be recommeneded, and likely enjoyed.

Also Chapter 1 is all we're getting for a very long, indeterminate amount of time, so go enjoy it. It stands on its own, satisfies, yet leaves you wanting more.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I would not discourage anyone from playing this, especially the people who have never played UNDERTALE.

I hadn't played UNDERTALE until last week and I probably wouldn't have if DELTARUNE didn't convince me to.

I am in love with UNDERTALE and it's because of DELTARUNE'S availability, accessibility, gameplay, story, and the heart that this series is filled with.

Play it people, and then fall in love with the mystery and creativity of Toby Fox's creations.

I don't think there's anything particularly wrong about playing them in reverse order, and if that's what takes for people to play both of them, so be it, for sure! I'm guessing many of the "oh, cool reference" moments in Deltarune will work in reverse with Undertale.

That said, Undertale itself has a PC demo so it's not like you have to choose between paying money blindly and playing them in order. :)

Runner

Nov 1, 2017
Are there differences in this version? Other versions of Undertale tended to have secret stuff stuck in