• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TerminusFox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Mary Beverly Goetz is 76, uses a walker and recently had surgery to remove a cancerous tumor. Worried her health issues would prevent her from voting for Democrat Jim Glenn in her western Kentucky state House district, she requested an absentee ballot by mail and sent it in weeks ahead of the election to make sure her vote was counted.

Glenn won by one vote.

"It made me feel good," Goetz said. "It made you feel like your vote really counted."

As the nation watches election officials in Florida and Georgia painstakingly review results in high-profile Senate and governor's races, many less prominent races across the country were decided by agonizingly close margins.

Glenn's victory in Owensboro, Kentucky, was one of six state House races decided by a handful of votes. In District 27, Democrat Jeff Greer lost to Republican Nancy Tate by six votes. In District 96, Republican Jill York lost to Democrat Kathy Hinkle by five votes. In District 91, Republican Toby Herald lost to Democrat Cluster Howard by seven votes.

And in Buckhorn, a coin flip allowed alcohol to be sold at a state park after an election there ended in a tie. It was at least the third time this year a coin flip had to decide a tied Kentucky election.

All of the House races were upheld on Thursday by county boards of elections, when a review of results from voting machines did not change the outcomes.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/kentuc...t-1-vote/?ftag=CNM-00-10aab7e&linkId=59732495

Every. Vote. Counts.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Every Vote Counts.

This is for idiots who vote Green or Libertarian.

Deleted member 5359

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
where's that troll who was posting about how he would only vote if his vote was the one that made a difference or whatever?

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Don't vote independent. Don't vote green. And for sure as fuck don't vote libertarian. Your vote matters. Use it.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I tell my dad Juan this all the time.

He says his vote won't matter in the grand scheme. But I drove down with him for early voting. Because Juan could be the difference.

Oct 25, 2017
I tell my dad Juan this all the time.

He says his vote won't matter in the grand scheme. But I drove down with him for early voting. Because Juan could be the difference.

Even if it's a landslide it matters. If everyone stays home because they think it doesn't matter, that's it. I have always hated this logical fallacy and I really think most people who say it are just looking for excuses to not participate in their society.

maxxpower

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
Is there a place where I can see what the current House and Senate look like with these final counts coming in?

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
Don't vote independent. Don't vote green. And for sure as fuck don't vote libertarian. Your vote matters. Use it.
Well, there are some exceptions. Two Independent U.S. Senators caucus with the Democrats (Bernie Sanders, I-VT and Angus King, I-ME).

Both won re-election this year. Sanders won his race against one Republican and a bunch of independents. King won his race against one Republican and one Democrat (who came in 2nd and 3rd, respectively).

Oct 26, 2017
Fuck that episode of South Park where Stan doesn't want to vote because it isn't important. I know too many people who thought that episode was so insightful.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Its good to see a older person vote Democrat and is the one to decide the race of all things. Unless ofcourse she is a person of color, in which case it is a expected result, but a welcome one.

OP
OP
TerminusFox

TerminusFox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well, there are some exceptions. Two Independent U.S. Senators caucus with the Democrats (Bernie Sanders, I-VT and Angus King, I-ME).

Both won re-election this year. Sanders won his race against one Republican and a bunch of independents. King won his race against one Republican and one Democrat (who came in 2nd and 3rd, respectively).
Maine pisses me the fuck off. For giving us Susan Collins and Angus King not even bother running as a Dem.

Buuuut reliably voting Dems for President. What the fuck is this?

Kangi

Profile Styler
Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunately the kind of people I know who think their vote doesn't matter are also the kind who think there's no value in a state house seat because blah blah it's all corrupt to the core blah blah bleh. As if there aren't states wherein the state legislature can be responsible for whether Medicaid expansion passes or fails and therefore if many live or die, among plenty of other important, practical, and immediately applicable issues. Heck, there are other races like this that come down to the wire all the time. Look at Virginia's special election, in which a tied state house race held control of the state house's majority in the balance. I'd love to say that anecdote has allowed me to convince anyone to vote, but... nope.

Not that this isn't a feel-good story, assuming a recount doesn't change things. Let it reinforce any occasional voters' tendency to vote, even if it won't change a non-voter's mind.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
Maine pisses me the fuck off. For giving us Susan Collins and Angus King not even bother running as a Dem.

Buuuut reliably voting Dems for President. What the fuck is this?
I can't really speak to King's politics, but I assume he's preferable to significantly splitting the vote and letting a Republican win.

Didn't happen this time, he won by a pretty big margin.

Alimnassor

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you vote anything other then Democrat you aren't worth talking too. Either vote democrat or you're part of the problem.

TalonJH

Oct 27, 2017
Louisville, KY
I'm not sure how it is in most places but if Johnson(the Republican) wants a recount he has to cover the cost. Thats part of the reason why he may not ask for a recount.

Oct 30, 2017
giphy-downsized-large.gif

asun

Nov 10, 2017
our winner-take-all voting system is pretty archaic. going to something like rank choice would allow people to vote for who they believe in, encourage a more diverse set of political viewpoints, and not have votes "wasted." in fact, maine just did it!

Deleted member 7373

I can't really speak to King's politics, but I assume he's preferable to significantly splitting the vote and letting a Republican win.

Didn't happen this time, he won by a pretty big margin.
Maine uses ranked choice voting now for federal elections, splitting the vote cannot happen there anymore.

Canklestank

Oct 26, 2017
How are so many of those Kentucky elections that close? Kind of suspicious, tbh. Glad most of them favored Democrats.

Air

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can we archive this thread for the future when dumbies say that voting doesn't matter?