Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Bernie should run 3rd party.

Be honest, it's going to be a shouting game on whose worse.

Theodore Roosevelt didn't give up after loosing the GOP nomination. He ran on anti corruption that was later popularised by democrats.

We would learning nothing again for repeating 2016
Bernie running as 3rd party would hand the election to Trump so let's not do that.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well said. I've never been a fan but after seeing his ST performance, my hope is that we're looking at another '18-style wave. Here's hoping people put their energy into defeating Trump and supporting Biden as they push him leftward.
Joe "Go vote for someone else" Biden and his cabinet of bank executives won't be pushed leftward in any meaningful way if he's lucky enough to win the general.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
Diamond Joe killin' it with the ladies.
giphy.gif

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Theodore Roosevelt didn't give up after loosing the GOP nomination. He ran on anti corruption that was later popularised by democrats.

Honestly, as much as it pains me to say it, all he'd be doing is handing Trump a second term. Though, considering recent COVID developments, the general race being Biden/Pence isn't off the table, and I could see Bernie maybe having a chance in that pathetic of a field.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
I dunno I kind of take umbrage to the notion that the "everyman" is racist, misogynistic, homophobic, transphobic or in any other way bigoted.

Clyburn is the most powerful (elected) black Democrat in the country, full stop. The most pathetic thing is Bernie didn't even try to win his endorsement.
Thats a very loaded characterization of Rogan. What I mean by "the everyman" is someone who is very politically all over the place, contrary to your characterization, the dude has a pretty wide array of beliefs swinging from progressive to very conservative. The majority of politically disaffected people that I know are very much all over the police beliefs wise much like Rogan. But either way, Rogan is NOT the point. It was a one twitter video. Literally a footnote.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York

Bernie isn't nearly popular enough to do anything other than ensure Trump gets re-elected if he ran third party

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

You are creating your own fictional reality.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Thats a very loaded characterization of Rogan. What I mean by "the everyman" is someone who is very politically all over the place, contrary to your characterization, the dude has a pretty wide array of beliefs swinging from progressive to very conservative. The majority of politically disaffected people that I know are very much all over the police beliefs wise much like Rogan. But either way, Rogan is NOT the point. It was a one twitter video. Literally a footnote.
How is it a loaded characterization of Rogan? Do you believe he isn't racist and transphobic? 🤔

Deleted member 3896

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What "gay men are amoral sociopaths" trope? What are you trying to do here?
Are you for real? The predatory gay villain trope has a long and storied history. It even got trotted out in Bohemian Rhapsody.

Go read/ watch The Celluloid Closet.

Go watch the Talented Mr. Ripley.

www.queerty.com

The trope of the gay monster had vanished. Then ‘The Tunnel’ brought it back

Does coming full circle constitute progress? As we queer folk know all too well, movies and television have a long and nasty history of presenting LGBTQ characters as pathetic lowlifes, or worse, psychopathic killers and helpless victims whose lives inevitable end badly. From Rebecca to Crusing...

Go watch any older Disney movie with the stereotypically gay villain.

www.harpersbazaar.com

Disney's Long, Complicated History with Queer Characters

The furor over 'Beauty and the Beast' sidekick Le Fou ignores the way Disney has subtly represented LGBT people throughout the company's 93-year history.

Deleted member 12009

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Gonna be interesting to see if progressives actually come out to vote for Biden and whether or not the dems even need the left anymore. I'm gonna guess that Trump will demolish with a much more fired up base and immunity to any and all criticism.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
I'm not sure exactly what you're trying to say here. Is it to imply that you agree with the serial killer comparison? Something else?

I would not outright call Mayor Pete a serial killer but the choice to work at McKinsey of all places is at the very least uncomfortably ghoul-adjacent. There is a certain subtext to the culture that Bateman's character embodied that wasn't actually related to the serial killers that Mayor Pete feels like a very clear part of. To be clear, I don't think that was a gay subculture*; it was the one of corporate finance and investment. Hell, the serial killer bit might be the least interesting part of Bateman as a character study.

When he's doing stuff like joining McKinsey and getting deployment in Afghanistan to try to bolster his political bonafides, that's terrifying, and lends an air of legitimacy to the horrifying actions that are done by each group. I would say he should know better, but it's part and parcel with that specific sort of Ivy League cultural propaganda.

* Count me as also confused on the "gay men are amoral sociopaths" trope here. I know quite a number of gay folks and none of them are Bret Easton Ellis.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Gonna be interesting to see if progressives actually come out to vote for Biden and whether or not the dems even need the left anymore. I'm gonna guess that Trump will demolish with a much more fired up base and immunity to any and all criticism.

Despite Biden driving new voter turnout, bad approval for Trump and a midterm this past cycle with record turnouts and Dems over-performing?

Soundscream

Nov 2, 2017

LOL

If he was popular enough to run as an independent, he wouldn't have tried to get the Democratic nomination.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
Do people think before they make these posts?

Democrat turnout has exploded during these primaries. Trump's approval rating is 42%. C'mon bruh.

Deleted member 3896

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Unless you want a Trump second term, that's gonna be a no.

I would not outright call Mayor Pete a serial killer but the choice to work at McKinsey of all places is at the very least uncomfortably ghoul-adjacent. There is a certain subtext to the culture that Bateman's character embodied that wasn't actually related to the serial killers that Mayor Pete feels like a very clear part of. To be clear, I don't think that was a gay subculture*; it was the one of corporate finance and investment. Hell, the serial killer bit might be the least interesting part of Bateman as a character study.

When he's doing stuff like joining McKinsey and getting deployment in Afghanistan to try to bolster his political bonafides, that's terrifying, and lends an air of legitimacy to the horrifying actions that are done by each group. I would say he should know better, but it's part and parcel with that specific sort of Ivy League cultural propaganda.

* Count me as also confused on the "gay men are amoral sociopaths" trope here. I know quite a number of gay folks and none of them are Bret Easton Ellis.
Mega-yikes at this entire post. Again, not a Pete fan but normalizing the comparisons of him with a serial killer character... super disturbing. See above for some info on the long history of the gay men as amoral sociopaths trope. It's not new and it's not obscure.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I'll believe it when I see it. The democratic primaries were full of choices for people to identify with. Distilling it down to Biden just might have a polarizing effect.

If this is what polarization looks like I think we'll be just fine. Turnout is up, the electorate likes their choices, Biden's approval is good and we have voting data to back this all up.

Deleted member 4346

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Bernie is a member of the party's Senate leadership and he's the leader of American leftism as it exists in politics today. He can't realistically run third-party, it would be a disaster for the entire movement. Plus he's already pledged to back the eventual nominee. Running in the GE would be going back on his word, and acting as a spoiler that would allow Trump to coast to a victory.

I still want Sanders to stay in until the convention, and to try and do as much as he can to push Biden left, but I don't think he'll have much success at that. Biden will concede us on the left if it means attracting moderate voters to flip back to him in the GE.

Deleted member 12009

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Democrat turnout has exploded during these primaries. Trump's approval rating is 42%. C'mon bruh.

What is that going to matter if people, as predictably as ever, just vote along party lines and we lose out on the electoral college again? If the left abandons or collapses out from under Biden, he'll be fighting with even less enthusiasm behind him than Clinton.

Trump's base is fired up and will continue to be fired up. It's unassailable. Biden is counting on people to get excited about beating Trump.

Aug 12, 2019
Yeah, it's a bit much. I'm not a Pete guy but seeing people push the homophobic "gay men are amoral sociopaths" trope is really not great.

I don't think I saw a single person push that criticism on Pete because he was gay. It was entirely because he made sweeping platitudes that sounded profound, but meant nothing while changing half of his stances in the course of the year while trying his best Obama impersonation routine and he genuinely seemed like the absolute most focus tested politician I've ever seen.

It has absolutely nothing to do with his sexual orientation I guarantee. "Patrick Bateman's best impression of Obama" was a joke off the Majority Report specifically because he didn't seem genuine to basically any one by the end and he absolutely looked like the campaign took a toll on him with a dead look in his eyes.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
"Not me, us"

->

giphy.gif

Let me just end this fairy tale for you right now by pointing out that in the (very probable) instance that Bernie loses the primary, he will (eventually) endorse Joe Biden for president and encourage all of his supporters to vote for him.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017

There is so much going on right now that no one is factoring into this in this thread too. The response to the Coronavirus and the current potential for a recession REALLY hurt Trump. If it gets bad, it wouldn't matter who runs for the Dems.

Obama ran a great campaign in 2008 but he was also helped out tremendously by the market crash and other disasters like the poor Katrina response from GWB. People see the current chaos and will want something more stable or different.

Midnight Jon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Let me just end this fairy tale for you right now by pointing out that in the (very probable) instance that Bernie loses the primary, he will (eventually) endorse Joe Biden for president and encourage all of his supporters to vote for him.
yeah but the fictionalized and extremely miniaturized version of Bernie Sanders that lives in my head would NEVER do that so therefore I will set this piece of information aside to be discarded later

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Politically disaffected people in the US tend to be social conservatives who are also fans of larger redistribution. They end up disaffected because they can't get both in one party, instead having to pick between the Dems' support of a welfare state and the GOP's embrace of white nationalism. In Europe, the multi-party systems present in many countries end up fragmenting the right wing in ways that provide these voters parties that more cleanly align to their preferences. You can see some of this In how Dem third party defectors are to the right of the Obama->Clinton voters on things like immigration- https://www.voterstudygroup.org/publication/political-divisions-in-2016-and-beyond

dots

Oct 27, 2017
Trump cannot be handled with kid gloves. Bernie is vicious against his allies. Imagine how he would be against Trump. I don't see Biden bringing the same fire.
Eeeh Bernie just always acts exactly the same and says the same thing I think what you see is what you get.

I, for one, can't wait for Biden's "Listen, Jack, that's a lie!" when debating Trump.

Deleted member 3896

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I saw a single person push that criticism on Pete because he was gay. It was entirely because he made sweeping platitudes that sounded profound, but meant nothing while changing half of his stances in the course of the year while trying his best Obama impersonation routine and he genuinely seemed like the absolute most focus tested politician I've ever seen.

It has absolutely nothing to do with his sexual orientation I guarantee. "Patrick Bateman's best impression of Obama" was a joke off the Majority Report specifically because he didn't seem genuine to basically any one by the end and he absolutely looked like the campaign took a toll on him with a dead look in his eyes.
Hey, maybe try listening to queer people instead of explaining away their concerns when they see homophobic tropes being perpetuated.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
Trump's chances are surely getting reduced every day that the markets tank. The one thing that consistently sees incumbent presidents lose is a bad economy. As miserable as the current market crash / coronavirus hysteria are, they definitely help Biden's chances come November.

carlsojo

Shinra Employee
Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
Eeeh Bernie just always acts exactly the same and says the same thing I think what you see is what you get.

I, for one, can't wait for Biden's "Listen, Jack, that's a lie!" when debating Trump.

I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility that he beats the shit out of him.

Could just be me fantasizing though.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis

tbh I think there's a nonzero chance Biden starts throwing fists if Trump brings up one of Biden's kids, especially Beau.

edit:

I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility that he beats the shit out of him.

Could just be me fantasizing though.
lol what up

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Yeah. What is even more indicative of this is that people who support M4A are still voting for Biden because they think he has a better chance of actually implementing tangible healthcare reform!

That's also a result of transforming the political race into a "who can beat THE CHAMPION?" narrative.

I think that Bernie campaign failed to ease that.

Chrome Hyena

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, I'll believe it when I see it. The democratic primaries were full of choices for people to identify with. Distilling it down to Biden just might have a polarizing effect.
It's crazy to me. The moderate wing is completely not only ignoring the progressive wing, but insulting them, treating them like garbage. Like we didn't learn from 2016; when a large enough portion of your base (particularly those fired up ones) thinks the guy or woman you put in front of them is boring and antithetical to their own views, they won't vote. So instead of trying to win them over with truly progressive policies their candidate of choice says they should stop complaining as they have it easy and thinks all their ideas are dumb. But hey he isn't Trump, that should be enough?

I as a progressive will vote for Biden even though I think he's a corporate clown and obvious old man brain, because Trump is just that bad. But not everyone will think like that.

Just not being Trump isn't enough.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
How is it a loaded characterization of Rogan? Do you believe he isn't racist and transphobic? 🤔
I believe he is ignorant and has some bigoted tendencies, but I also think that he is, for better or worse (worse here), is very representative of your average politically confused person (expresses a vague notion of wanting equality and liberal ideals, but has some ignorant/bigoted ideas that haven't been thought through.)

I won't defend anything he has said, but outside of era bubble, he is way more reflective of general society than we are (at least here in Minnesota.)

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What is that going to matter if people, as predictably as ever, just vote along party lines and we lose out on the electoral college again? If the left abandons or collapses out from under Biden, he'll be fighting with even less enthusiasm behind him than Clinton.

Trump's base is fired up and will continue to be fired up. It's unassailable. Biden is counting on people to get excited about beating Trump.

Trump's base is smaller now than in 2016. In 2016 he won by less than 100,000 votes. In 2018 turnout was up for everyone but the democrats crushed Republicans.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
It's crazy to me. The moderate wing is completely not only ignoring the progressive wing, but insulting them, treating them like garbage. Like we didn't learn from 2016; when a large enough portion of your base (particularly those fired up ones) thinks the guy or woman you put in front of them is boring and antithetical to their own views, they won't vote. So instead of trying to win them over with truly progressive policies their candidate of choice says they should stop complaining as they have it easy and thinks all their ideas are dumb. But hey he isn't Trump, that should be enough?

I as a progressive will vote for Biden even though I think he's a corporate clown and obvious old man brain, because Trump is just that bad. But not everyone will think like that.

Just not being Trump isn't enough.
I think the bolded easily goes both ways.

Erpy

May 31, 2018
Wow @ that gender breakdown

It's kind of an interesting contrast with Era's frequent depiction of Biden as a semi-sexual predator.

Yup. I was talking with my parents the other day who are strong Biden supporters and they brought up the same thing. They like Bernie and his ideas but they don't think he'll actually be able to defeat Trump or get anything done with Congress if he's elected. It's a serious perception issue that I don't think the Sanders campaign has been able to address at all. Not everyone who is voting Biden is voting because they are crazy for Biden or think Bernie has bad ideas, a lot of people just want someone that they feel can win. Right now Bernie doesn't look like he can win at all.

Americans are culturally inclined to distrust the government to begin with and are often wary to entrust them with running parts of their lives. And occasionally their fears are confirmed. Remember the botched Obamacare rollout? And that was with a functioning government. Trump's spent 3,5 years dismantling the government, driving out experts and having his cronies turn it into a disfunctional mess as seen with the current coronavirus shitshow. Sanders wanting to use those same government institutions for his ambitious plans is like wanting to use a battered 25-year old semi for off-road rally. It's likely to break down before you even get going.

Trump's successor will most likely spend a large part of his term just getting the government properly staffed and functioning again. It's not exciting or energizing or inspiring, but necessary nevertheless.

Even Sanders isn't stubborn enough to do something that'll guarantee Trump's re-election.

Goddamn. Hillary's beating Sanders in a race she's not even participating in. That's gotta sting.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Mega-yikes at this entire post. Again, not a Pete fan but normalizing the comparisons of him with a serial killer character... super disturbing. See above for some info on the long history of the gay men as amoral sociopaths trope. It's not new and it's not obscure.

I did almost ask something like "Are you talking like the Disney villains" while I was trying to square away the details on the McKinsey stuff so I guess in that case the answer is yes. Aside from Bateman being arguably a more recognizable character I would be happy to replace the reference to, say, one of the characters of Mad Men if it would make you feel more comfortable.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are you for real? The predatory gay villain trope has a long and storied history. It even got trotted out in Bohemian Rhapsody.

Go read/ watch The Celluloid Closet.

Go watch the Talented Mr. Ripley.

www.queerty.com

The trope of the gay monster had vanished. Then ‘The Tunnel’ brought it back

Does coming full circle constitute progress? As we queer folk know all too well, movies and television have a long and nasty history of presenting LGBTQ characters as pathetic lowlifes, or worse, psychopathic killers and helpless victims whose lives inevitable end badly. From Rebecca to Crusing...

Go watch any older Disney movie with the stereotypically gay villain.

www.harpersbazaar.com

Disney's Long, Complicated History with Queer Characters

The furor over 'Beauty and the Beast' sidekick Le Fou ignores the way Disney has subtly represented LGBT people throughout the company's 93-year history.
whatever. Pete should've simply tried not being a sociopath

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
You know what? This actually makes sense. The most likely way for Biden to not be the nominee is if god forbid something happens to him.

Would Bernie be the nominee then? I seriously doubt it even though he'll have the 2nd highest number of delegates. It'll be a total shitshow.

The party would presumably pick Biden's VP pick... but they wouldn't have to.

I don't think I've every cared more about VP picks than I have this cycle (I mostly expect Trump to ditch Pence, blame him for coronavirus, etc...).

Deleted member 31923

Banned
Nov 8, 2017

Hell no. That would hand the election to Trump. Crazy Jill Stein was nearly enough to hand the election to Trump in 2016, so the much more known Bernie would really stick it to the Democratic party. We should focus on beating Trump, not tearing down the party or playing games.

Status
Not open for further replies.