• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The AP has reported that Democrats are still struggling to speak out against Trump's rhetoric and reports that Elizabeth Warren's recent release of her DNA test results showing that she has Native American roots is an "unforced error" and one person has pointed to Texas Democratic Senate candidate Beto O'Rourke as a Democrat who is effectively appealing to different groups: https://www.apnews.com/c5cd6ff8b43b412ca642694b9a48c4d0

October 20, 2018

More than seven years after President Donald Trump launched his political career by questioning then-President Barack Obama's citizenship, Democrats are still struggling to find the right strategy to fight back against his racially-charged rhetoric.

After years of taunting from Trump, Sen. Elizabeth Warren revealed her DNA results this week proving her Native American roots. If it was an effort to take on Trump directly, it didn't seem to work. The president continued his mocking references to her as "Pocahontas" and she managed to offend Native Americans who felt their heritage was being used as a political prop.

As Democrats gear up for a presidential primary season that's likely to feature multiple women and people of color, some are saying it's time for a new approach.

"There's a lot of data that shows that most Americans believe that Trump is either racist or bad for race relations in this country," said Harvard University historian Leah Wright Rigueur. "If you already know that, you have to give people something else. It doesn't mean you stand there and let yourself be bullied, but the way to do this is not to bring yourself to Trump's level."

The answer for prospective 2020 candidates, according to some activists, is to present an authentic counterpoint to Trump's provocations. That's one reason Warren's move was problematic to some. It seemed a departure from Massachusetts Democrat's usual playbook of hammering the president on the issues and largely ignoring his personal attacks. Some understood the impulse, but saw Warren's response as an unforced error that distracted from her message and her brand.

"The way she chose to fight back seemed out of character for how she's fought back before," said DeJuana Thompson, founder of Woke Vote, aimed at turning out young black voters and faith voters. "She usually sticks to the issues; she rarely brings it back to herself."

Instead of a DNA reveal, Warren could have stood with Native Americans on the issues that matter to them, like the environment or voter suppression, said Aimee Allison, president of Democracy in Color.

"A conversation centering on Native people, about their identity and their issues, that would've been inspiring," Allison said. "That is the way to cut through and dissipate the hatred that is poisoning our society, building connection with people."

Allison pointed to Texas U.S. Senate Democratic candidate Beto O'Rourke as someone effectively appealing to a broader electorate.

"He speaks in solidarity with black people and Latinos, and shows a very different way of being a white Democrat," she said. "Whether he wins or loses, he's an example of people who want to lead and not fall victim of this racial playbook. There's no winning with that, but there is a way to embrace racial identity that helps build the democracy we want."

ISOM

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I will say I don't think Warren has the chops to go against Trump. And not only because of the Native American sludge thrown at her. But you don't play into the hands of a bully by being concerned about his arguments. You attack his weaknesses which there are too much too many to count.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know, Stacey Abrams ads talk about healthcare and education

There are more democrats then the ones in the news cycle

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017

Pretty much every dem is focusing on healthcare no matter the district

The lack of a national strstegy outside of that is on purpose, trump speaks for himself. When jt comes time to vote as a country then we'll start grttint a party platform.

jackissocool

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Ohio
It's so obvious, too. You stop going high. You say he's a liar, a fascist, a sham, a rapist, and a buffoon. Then you go left left left politically. They won't, though.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017

A lot of dems have been focused on healthcare and such. I've seen article after article about it and you see them used it in a lot of debate clips too when candidates start up with the trump-like attacks. Warren pulled a bit of a bonehead mood, but for the most part, health care and "entitlements" has been a large focus.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We need to be kind to Trump voters, you guys. Civility is the only sensible response in the face of racist, climate denying, jackbooted thugs.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much every dem is focusing on healthcare no matter the district

The lack of a national strstegy outside of that is on purpose, trump speaks for himself. When jt comes time to vote as a country then we'll start grttint a party platform.
If Democrats cured lung cancer the articles would be about democrats inability to cure the common cold.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
What's needed:Go so far left that Bernie looks right wing. Lay out a concrete plan for making people's lives better.

What we'll get: A drone named Beyonce. More women prison guards.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
The strategy is not to go down and fight him one in one. He will win. Let him be and strangle himself. Just give him the rope and a little nudge here and there.

In addition to that, you also call him out in his shit
Call him a liar. Hammer that. But do not go toe to toe with him. Ever.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
ziobrando.jpg

It should never have been that hard. He's giving it to you. The problem is that you're letting them control the narrative.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
What's needed:Go so far left that Bernie looks right wing. Lay out a concrete plan for making people's lives better.

What we'll get: A drone named Beyonce. More women prison guards.
Bolded is a great way to lose any swing districts for House races. I agree Dems need to go left but the 2016 platform already was the farthest left they've been and with a clear and detailed plan and Clinton lost.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
Bolded is a great way to lose any swing districts for House races. I agree Dems need to go left but the 2016 platform already was the farthest left they've been and with a clear and detailed plan and Clinton lost.
Then let's give up. If gradual changes are the only thing that's feasible we won't have a planet to live on by the time it really matters.

Deleted member 20603

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
He's on the golf course while his special forces are dying in endless wars, and he recently sold a massive amount of weapons to terrorists. He is against free trade and supports government handouts to farmers that his own actions harmed. Could the messaging possibly be easier than it is now? Regardless, have each politician focus on the issues their own constituents care about, which should be easy if you are in one of the many economies disrupted by Trump.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
they're two sides not operating in the same reality or playing by the same fucking rules, of course it's hard.

How do you appeal to people that would fall for Trump's bullshit? At a certain point, stop fucking blaming democrats for a fucked up electorate.

They've already done much of what y'all are saying, like calling out Trump for all his shit, so I don't think you guys are really paying attention either.

And they've garnered all the support they can out of people who care. So how do you reach out to people that still, after two years of Trump in office and decades of GOP maliciousness, fail to see the importance of voting the GOP out? It's not easy as you all make it seem and the monday morning quarterbacking in here is pretty fucking infuriating at this point.

And how is this Dems? Elizabeth Warren is one person. Who else is struggling?

Stupid article

Last edited:

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
This is a war. You fight back, go on the offensive. A shame they're cowards.

Aug 1, 2018
It's so obvious, too. You stop going high. You say he's a liar, a fascist, a sham, a rapist, and a buffoon. Then you go left left left politically. They won't, though.

Dem politicians are always so worried about offending Trump supporters though. They care more about Trump supporters' feelings than their own damn base.

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
You go right up to his fat fucking face and call a fat fucking liar that he is. Constantly, repeatedly. Always, never stopping.
If he screams you scream louder, always remind people Andy show people how much of a liar he is.

Kasumin

Nov 19, 2017
they're two sides not operating in the same reality or playing by the same fucking rules, of course it's hard.

How do you appeal to people that would fall for Trump's bullshit? At a certain point, stop fucking blaming democrats for a fucked up electorate.

They've already done much of what y'all are saying, like calling out Trump for all his shit, so I don't think you guys are really paying attention either.

And they've garnered all the support they can out of people who care. So how do you reach out to people that still, after two years of Trump in office and decades of GOP maliciousness, fail to see the importance of voting the GOP out? It's not easy as you all make it seem and the monday morning quarterbacking in here is pretty fucking infuriating at this point.

Agreed. People think it's easy to dig out of the no-win situation Republicans have set up. They control the narrative because they have shit like Fox News.

I'm not saying it's impossible to push back against Republicans, but it isn't easy. I'm tired of people's hot takes where they just complain that Dems are "spineless."

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
Need to call a spade a spade without sounding artificial. Start using the words liar, crazy, stupid, ridiculous, lunatic. Just call them as you see them.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
As we've all gotta still get by day to day until then, you'll probably understand why this is a poor way of thinking either way.
What I'm saying is that if the only electorally sound option is to move left by increments that are so small as to be meaningless, we will absolutely 100% wind up with fascist rule on a dying planet.

Oh, but you can vote for toothless democrats to delay the fascist rule part by a few months, great. That's a huge improvement for the soon to be uninhabitable world.

Byakuya769

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Beto this, Beto that. Breh is about to lose a senate race and was a non-noteworthy member of the house before that. He's not our savior.

Osu 16 Bit

QA Lead at NetherRealm Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago, IL
Their framing sucks bigly. Like I noticed over a decade ago Republicans fall over themselves talking about how conservative they are. They introduce people as "good, strong conservatives". Conservative is a positive thing. Most democrats are scared to death to call themselves liberal. Liberal is an insult. They allowed that framing. Because they're weak and stupid.

Oct 25, 2017
Fight back, stop being civil. Just say he's lying when he is, which is most of the time, how is this complicated?

And get a motherfucking message, "Healthcare for all" or whatever, just do it.

If they can't get a message and keep being cowards, then America is fucked.

Balphon

Oct 25, 2017
Just keep talking about health care.

Every time they engage with Trump's bullshit, they will lose.

Oct 27, 2017
Stop fucking being civil. Call trumpublicans liars. Point out they're liars. Point out the truth.

Healthcare healthcare healthcare.

Tax cut was a lie.

Etc etc etc

It's not fucking hard unless you are a stupid centrist bitch with no balls still trying to play a game that republicans dropped decades ago.

You are not going to persuade trumpublicans. They are too far gone. It's everybody else that matters.

Last edited:

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
There is much you can do to fight against a pathetic liar like Trumo except call it out.

Trumps followers are not going anywhere.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
What I'm saying is that if the only electorally sound option is to move left by increments that are so small as to be meaningless, we will absolutely 100% wind up with fascist rule on a dying planet.

Oh, but you can vote for toothless democrat to delay the fascist rule part by a few months, great. I'll still do it, I'm just honest about it being a complete dead end for all of us.

This toothless dem shit is just tired though. We've got dems out fighting hard and biting back in their own ways each and every day. We're seeing more women and progressives running. But let one dem say something about civility and all of a sudden all dems are weak and the sky is falling. This over the top nonsense isn't inspiring by any means and serves no purpose whatsoever. Most dems are fairly open to doing something about climate change and you're talking like the final options are decided and nothing's getting done. The party isn't going far-left at the snap of a finger and that's a reality that a lot of you are going to need to come to terms with (it doesn't NEED to stay near the middle either.)

Last edited:

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
Agreed. People think it's easy to dig out of the no-win situation Republicans have set up. They control the narrative becuse they have shit like Fox News.

I'm not saying it's impossible to push back against Republicans, but it isn't easy. I'm tired of people's hot takes where they just complain that Dems are "spineless."
Seriously.
Y'all keep saying go on the offense and all that, but the people hearing that are already convinced. That's the thing. Someone on the fence (and there's hardly anyone on the fence anymore) isn't gonna hear a Dem saying that shit and is gonna be suddenly convinced about anything different regarding Trump.

And this spineless dem narrative is fucking stupid. Warren made a stupid move, but she's been on Trump's throat as much as anyone and then you all throw her under the bus, it's pathetic. You all do realize they have a majority in Congress right? What the fuck do you want Dems to do with no power? They've done about as much as they can. Things will change if/when they gain control of the house. This is a result of Dem voters being fucking lazy when we all needed them back in 2016. And no, that's not HRC's fault. She had as progressive a platform as anyone.

I really don't think people understand. How do you reach people that lap up conservative media and have no regard for real facts and numbers. When their chief legislative concern is racism and owning liberals?

Fucking ridiculous bullshit I'm reading. At a certain point, it's the electorate that's either too lazy to care or too hateful to notice that their voting against their self-interest. And that's not the fault of the Democratic party.

Last edited:

dynamitejim

Oct 25, 2017
They're the smart, poor kid getting bullied by the dumb, rich kid. The people in power aren't going to listen to any evidence they bring and if they try and fight back, they'll get punished for it.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
The party isn't going far-left at the snap of a finger
Then we're dead and we will not have a planet that is capable of supporting any significant amount of human life in the very near future. We can vote to make the end slightly more comfortable for the last generation or two, great political strategy.

I suppose I should qualify this by saying that it would take the entire world going hard left permanently and immediately to actually save it, which makes it even less likely.

Tamanon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think that article focuses too much on a national messaging outlook, in a non-national election. Everything I've seen about Dems running is focused on healthcare and corruption. All locally focused.

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've said it before but the Democrats need to stop worry about recovering a modicum of symbolic power and start pursuing and using actual, effective power.

Oct 27, 2017
Bernie is like the same 3 talking points. It works. Just follow him.

Seriously. I can't understand why so many don't get this. People are scared, people are confused, and people don't have time to pay a lot of attention to policy details and minutiae. Appealing to logic and reason doesn't work. A simple to follow narrative and an acknowledgement of the fear and anger of the electorate has been shown to work.

Obama called out Washington and had a simple message: The old ways aren't working and it's time for change. He wasn't an old career politician whose voting record could be used against him. He consistently acknowledged the fear and anger that people felt and it worked.

Bernie sanders came out and did essentially the same thing: The political elites aren't doing right by you, and they've been giving wall street a pass. I'll tax wall street and use that money to improve health care, social security and college tuition.

Trump: You're scared because of terrorists and illegal immigrants, and your unemployment is high. You hate how inefficient washington is. I will ban muslims, build a wall, and bring jobs back!

Tap into the anger, tell people what you'll do in simple terms, and appeal DIRECTLY to them. Use youtube, twitter, facebook, instagram, snapchat, etc. Answer their questions directly instead of answering canned questions from journalists at press conferences. This is the playbook that worked for Obama, and it worked for Trump too, which is why there was the phenomenon of people who voted for Obama two times then deciding to vote for trump. People didn't vote for him despite his lack of political experience and details on his plans, they voted for him BECAUSE they didnt view him as the slimy politician character that talks around issues instead of directly addressing them in a simple easy to understand message, and addressing the feelings of the electorate.

If political scientists have learned nothing else, we've learned that emotion plays just as much if not more of a role in how people vote than the positions of the person they're voting for. If democrats want to stand a chance of winning they need to be more directly engaging to the electorate. They need to crush this stereotype of the weak millionaire coastal elite that won't stick up for the U.S. on the international stage and will go back on their election promises.

Deleted member 4372

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Get Beto out there more, NOW.

Its not gonna be Bernie.

Not Elizabeth either.

Avenatti? Booker? Harris? Lets be real. No.

Beto giving me early Obama vibes.

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
For me the strategy is not to appeal to trumps base. They are gone. Beyond reason. Dems need to energise their own base to vote. To show civility and decency but in a way that is disgusted by the morals of the republican party. Trust America to be a majority of honest decent folks.

'3y Kingdom

Oct 27, 2017
I must have slept through the midterms. Either that, or a lot of people in this thread are sleeping through the run-up,