• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AaronB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
https://www.inquisitr.com/4757531/democrats-criticize-the-amazon-hq2-bidding-war/

"The cities should not compete against each other in a race to the bottom. It's absurd for the taxpayers to offer subsidies to one of the richest companies in the world."

Totally agree with this, and not just with this HQ2. Anytime a warehouse or distribution center is offered, these communities bend over backward to give them every possible subsidy and tax break available.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
I agree with this. My city is still in the running and what they have offered them is pretty ridiculous to me. In a state that is strapped for cash with ever increasing taxes giving a company over a billion dollars in tax cuts in addition to other incentives is outrageous.

Jersey_Tom

Banned
Dec 2, 2017
The entire thing has been gross. That the Democrats are finally mentioning something over this I think is a "too little, too late" sort of thing. Anyone should have seen that this would be an absolute disgrace when considering how much good HQ2 could possibly add to a community with all of the consolations offered to it.

At this point Amazon might as well just offer to symbolically buy a town or city and rename is Amazonia.

whytemyke

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
That's totally fine and if the cities don't want to participate nobody is forcing them to.

Matter of fact, there are literally thousands of cities around the world that didn't participate, all on their own, without the DNC telling them to abstain. Go figure.

Sampson

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
HQ2 is only attracting attention because it's high profile. Cities and states do this all the time for all sorts of companies and it never gets mentioned.

We need a national law that requires local governments to treat all companies operating in their jurisdictions equally under the law. Maybe an amendment.

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
Maybe a small break, but one of the richest companies shouldn't need a hand out.

Bidding wars have generally been bad in my experience. A race to the bottom typically effects the intended results.

Last edited:

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
HQ2 is only attracting attention because it's high profile. Cities and states do this all the time for all sorts of companies and it never gets mentioned.

We need a national law that requires local governments to treat all companies operating in their jurisdictions equally under the law. Maybe an amendment.

Congress will manage that right after they ban pork barrel spending.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Can't the local governments not be treated like children and take their responsibilities? No city has to make an offer than isn't favorable to itself. This is truly the age of always blaming businesses instead of the governments that are responsible to the people. If any city makes a dumb offer, it's on the local government's hands.

Quazar

Oct 27, 2017
Blah blah. If cities wanna make bids it's in their right to do so. It's also in the right of the consumer to not support a company like Amazon as well.

SupremeWu

Banned
Dec 19, 2017
The only difference between this Amazon HQ2 process and the process of most large corporations moving to a city/state, is that this process is transparent and open to public scrutiny.

Literally this happens all the time and it's always behind closed doors, with suits and cigars and golf.

For once we peasants get to watch it unfold and folks can't STAND it.

rambis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
While I agree on principal, isn't the whole reason because what they gain will be far more than what have to give up? It seems disingenuous to leave that factor out.

Phrozenflame500

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
So I don't really take any issue with cities making themselves more attractive to business investments. What I do take issue with is a level playing field - Amazon personally shouldn't get any more advantages then any other business looking to set up in the area.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
The serious cities are not giving them that much concessions if you notice the bids. Only the medium tier cities are the ones falling all over themselves witw generous offers.

PanickyFool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Literally this happens all the time and it's always behind closed doors, with suits and cigars and golf.
Yup, before I selected Eastern Europe for my second office, we did some preliminary investigation domestically. Pittsburgh, South Carolina, etc. Find the local economic development corporation and get a package.

Oct 26, 2017
Well...yeah?

I mean this happens in sports too..and is just as stupid. Ostensibly the logic is that jobs will be created...but it isn't like Amazon is hurting for money and can just build wherever the hell they want.

Oct 25, 2017
Amazon isn't remotely special in this,
Besides just generally all the big entertainment companies get states to do the exact same thing for years.

SupremeWu

Banned
Dec 19, 2017
'Please don't come to devils-butt-hole, Indiana! We're like, so swole already'

E - sorry, I'm settled down.

Last edited:

Nassudan

Oct 27, 2017
Philly has a growing startup culture and already is home to an absolute shit company (Comcast).

It also can't afford whatever billions in subsidies Amazon is looking for.

Opto

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Remember that one city that was going to give Amazon the employee's income tax?

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
That's totally fine and if the cities don't want to participate nobody is forcing them to.

Matter of fact, there are literally thousands of cities around the world that didn't participate, all on their own, without the DNC telling them to abstain. Go figure.
Did these cities take a vote of their citizens as to whether or not their city bids? Seems to me if my city wants to give a handout, especially to a company that doesnt need one, they should ask their constituants first.

GoldenKings

Oct 28, 2017
It was interesting to see Ohio take a state wide stance to try and convince Amazon to come to any of the three major cities in the State.

But my City is currently too preoccupied trying to land a MLS franchise so Amazon is on the back burner lol

Oct 26, 2017
Did these cities take a vote of their citizens as to whether or not their city bids? Seems to me if my city wants to give a handout, especially to a company that doesnt need one, they should ask their constituants first.

Large cities are bad about this. Ostensibly local officials should represent their constituents but then capitalism happens and democracy takes a back seat.

The Robocop movies have gone from extreme parody to prophetic satire...

Oct 28, 2017
Nice headline.

Columbus - Democrat mayor
Indianapolis - Democrat mayor
Chicago - Democrat mayor
Denver - Democrat mayor
Nashville - Democrat mayor
Los Angeles - Democrat mayor
Dallas - Democrat mayor
Austin - Democrat mayor
Boston - Democrat mayor
New York City - Democrat mayor
Newark - Democrat mayor
Pittsburgh - Democrat mayor
Philadelphia - Democrat mayor
Washington DC - Democrat mayor
Raleigh - Democrat endorsed mayor
Atlanta - Democrat mayor
Miami - Republican mayor

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nice headline.

Chicago - Democrat mayor
Denver - Democrat mayor
Dallas - Democrat mayor
Austin - Democrat mayor
Boston - Democrat mayor
Newark - Democrat mayor
Atlanta - Democrat mayor
Miami - Republican mayor

Other Democrats are criticizing it. I don't see what's wrong with the headline. If you read it, you'll read a quote from Keith Ellison, a Democrat, criticizing it.

Ecotic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm dying to know what Atlanta's proposal was. I know it's disgusting, but I really don't care how cheaply we sold ourselves. It could transform this state from a rural backwater into the next blue-leaning Virginia.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad Toronto did not offer them any special incentives. If we get picked, it's on our own merits, and even if we don't, it's amazing that we made it to the Top 20 without bribes like the $7 billion from Newark (yikes).

numble

Oct 25, 2017
Nice headline.

Chicago - Democrat mayor
Denver - Democrat mayor
Dallas - Democrat mayor
Austin - Democrat mayor
Boston - Democrat mayor
Newark - Democrat mayor
Atlanta - Democrat mayor
Miami - Republican mayor
It's fine to criticize a systemic issue while still engaging in an activity that would be detrimental if others do it and you do not do it. It's similar to a tragedy of the commons situation. Similarly, many states do not like the way electoral votes are winner-take-all and have signed on to an interstate compact to change the way their electoral votes are assigned, but it will not take effect until there is a critical mass of states that have signed on, otherwise they would be disadvantaging themselves in the current system. Campaign finance advocates are the same, politicians that criticize Citizens United will not try to shut down groups set up to take advantage of Citizens United to help their elections, etc.

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017
OMG, PLEASE do not come to Atlanta. I was planning to move back to my home state and now this crap. Please go to NC...we have plenty of businesses and Job opportunities in Atlanta...

SegFault

Oct 25, 2017
I mean yea capitalism is gross especially now that companies can hold jobs over politicians heads to enable theft from citizens (and even workers! See what Chicago offered for a good example of actual literal wage theft!)

hurlex

Oct 25, 2017
This honestly reminds me of when Boeing was 'deciding' on where to build the new 777x. It was pretty obvious after the fact that they had no intention of actually doing it, but they used the threat of it to convince the machinist union to give up a lot in the next contract.

When corporations get so large they easily have the leverage to force people/states/cities into a 'race to the bottom' that will ultimately make things worse.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
This kind of stuff has to have been written in dystopian novels, right? Corporations grown so large and powerful that governments would give them entire cities?

And I say this after just buying something off Amazon an hour ago :(

rambis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Correction: The City of Atlanta does. Atlanta doesn't.
Maybe you don't. Maybe you know some people that don't. But I know plenty of people who do...

Granted, nobody really knows the effects of the big companies' in these cities and they mostly just have $$ in their eyes but I don't know many balking at more jobs in this city.

ShaheedMalik

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe you don't. Maybe you know some people that don't. But I know plenty of people who do...

Granted, nobody really knows the effects of the big companies' in these cities and they mostly just have $$ in their eyes but I don't know many balking at more jobs in this city.
The traffic. We full.

Deleted member 2171

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nice headline.

Chicago - Democrat mayor
Denver - Democrat mayor
Dallas - Democrat mayor
Austin - Democrat mayor
Boston - Democrat mayor
Newark - Democrat mayor
Atlanta - Democrat mayor
Miami - Republican mayor

Eh, city level Democrats aren't generally the same as national level. I mean, the one running here openly supported banning abortion. And it's good that a party is criticising people that belong to their own party?