Oct 25, 2017
Tampa

The rapidly unfolding Ukraine scandal has kicked impeachment investigations into high gear, with Democratic leaders in Congress now saying it will take just a number of weeks to consolidate findings from multiple House committees.

"This is not going to require months and months and months of hearings," says Rep. David Cicilline, D-R.I., who spoke with NPR on Saturday.

Cicilline holds a seat on the Judiciary Committee, which would bring together multiple House inquiries and then decide whether to formally draw up articles of impeachment.

The issues surrounding President Trump's contacts with Ukraine are relatively straightforward and easy to grasp, says Cicilline, particularly when compared to the complexity of former special counsel Robert Mueller's investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 elections.

"Unlike the Mueller report, where we're trying to piece together events of the past, this played out in plain view and real time to the American people," says Cicilline. "The president of the United States pressured a foreign leader to target a political opponent to help him in his reelection, and then tried to cover it up."

Oct 26, 2017
There are reasons to prefer a swift impeachment: for example it'll be much easier to prosecute Trump for other things if he's no longer president.

Edit: also perhaps striking while the metal is hot and there is bipartisan support. Closer to the elections that may change.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
its a bold strategy, while its good to strike while the iron is hot, you have to be confident that this will be successful, otherwise to make this last until the elections would be the best strategy.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Gotta strike while the iron's hot. Our news media is a joke and stretching this out over too long will result in them looking for other stories and not letting this resolve properly.

Last I heard Pelosi was pushing for an impeachment vote before Thanksgiving, which would at least give it two months from now.

The fact that the administration has willfully handed Democrats pretty much everything that impeachment articles would be based on (the transcript, the whistleblower complaint), it's not like there's anything big they need to uncover here.

Vennt

Oct 27, 2017
This is a good idea, the longer they take, the greater the opportunity for the Trumpublicans to find a counter-narrative that sticks and influences wider perception, which is pretty much what they did with Mueller.

Kaako

Oct 25, 2017
The sooner, the better. Don't give them that much of a chance to try to cover their shitty tracks.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
Shouldn't they be using this time to also investigate other matters?

They don't want the central message of this scandal to be dragged down by other ongoing scandals and court cases.

Ah so it is performative rather than substantive.

In a 24 hour news cycle you have to strike while the iron is hot. The process is accelerated because the main parties involved already admitted guilt.

Eidan

AVALANCHE
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Ah so it is performative rather than substantive.
Trump literally already admitted to the core impeachable offense, and even released a document corroborating the whistleblower's complaint. Is there a reason why you think the process should be longer?

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
Shitty writers always gotta rush the last season.

giphy.gif

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
this is a very bad idea. if you don't believe you can remove him from office, why not draw this out as long as possible and do as much damage to him in the process. What are dems afraid of? If you really think he's done illegal stuff that you can prosecute even after he leaves office, why not do a lengthy investigation now? who is the rush for?

rickyson33

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
cool then the senate can vote to acquit him and all the voters will forget it ever happened by the time the election rolls around

yay?

Jam

Oct 25, 2017
its a bold strategy, while its good to strike while the iron is hot, you have to be confident that this will be successful, otherwise to make this last until the elections would be the best strategy.

We live in an instant gratification climate though, dragging this out until November next year would be pointless because unfortunately people these days have attention spans of a few weeks for stories like this.

Shouldn't they be using this time to also investigate other matters?
The Russia investigation having so many moving parts is a big part of why Trump himself never faced any consequences for it. Here we have an increibly easy to explain crime that the perpetrator himself admitted to. They can worry about everything else once he's out of office and Republicans have no reason to spin for him.

Lebron

Oct 30, 2017
Give people enough time to get their stories straight? Why? This is why the Russian one was hard to stick. They basically created a MCU that was too complicated to follow.

This is straightforward and recent. It's Harder to coverup, which is why they running around in a panic right now.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How many Benghazi hearings did we have before republicans found out about the email scandal? Now imagine if Hillary had actually done something illegal? The short process only helps the president. Especially if he wins re-election. You don't get a second try at impeachment. Do it right the first time and make it as thorough as possible.

rickyson33

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
There seems to be reason to believe the Senate won't acquit.

you think 20 republican senators are gonna vote a republican president out of office?

I guess there's also reason to believe I could win the lottery while getting struck by lightning

the only thing constructive this impeachment thing can do is keep his approval numbers low and make him an easier target to vote out of office and that's not gonna happen if you rush through it and give voters an entire year to get over it

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We live in an instant gratification climate though, dragging this out until November next year would be pointless because unfortunately people these days have attention spans of a few weeks for stories like this.
I don't know what country you were living in for the past year or two. People did not stop caring about the Russia investigation. if anything, people were paying too much attention to it in contrast to other important issues. Rushing this. Limiting the scope of inquiry. These are bad strategies.

geardo

Oct 27, 2017
this is a very bad idea. if you don't believe you can remove him from office, why not draw this out as long as possible and do as much damage to him in the process. What are dems afraid of? If you really think he's done illegal stuff that you can prosecute even after he leaves office, why not do a lengthy investigation now? who is the rush for?

I agree. The Dems are still terrified that they're going to be punished in 2020, so they want to get the whole thing over with well in advance. Typical timid bs.

Vennt

Oct 27, 2017
you think 20 republican senators are gonna vote a republican president out of office?

I guess there's also reason to believe I could win the lottery while getting struck by lightning

Trump and the Republicans need a whole lot more than "the base" to win an election, in both the Presidency and the senate races.

The mushy middle is ALWAYS important.

If the public majority supports impeachment, which the numbers are rapidly climbing towards, then acquiting him is something that will cost them when election time comes.

Impeachment process is lose/lose for them UNLESS they can either turn the narrative around and muddy things, or if they can create fatigue in the process, which are both things they need time for.

the only thing constructive this impeachment thing can do is keep his approval numbers low and make him an easier target to vote out of office and that's not gonna happen if you rush through it and give voters an entire year to get over it
The Russia Investigation by Mueller was anything but rushed and look what happened there.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I agree. The Dems are still terrified that they're going to be punished in 2020, so they want to get the whole thing over with well in advance. Typical timid bs.
I realize this is conjecture, but I think it's incredibly obvious that this "strategy" by the democrats leadership is just cowardice. They're just hoping voters don't re-elect Trump and spare them from making difficult choices.

The alleged rationale for this is nonsensical. They're worried about people's attention spans. for real? In a world where every night on MSNBC/CNN was Russian scandal night for two years straight. Now they're worried about people losing interest?

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
How many Benghazi hearings did we have before republicans found out about the email scandal? Now imagine if Hillary had actually done something illegal? The short process only helps the president. Especially if he wins re-election. You don't get a second try at impeachment. Do it right the first time and make it as thorough as possible.

He's also just going to continue doing crime if he's "acquitted" by the senate GOP and remains occupying the presidency. So the work will need to continue regardless to protect and safeguard this democracy.

Pockets

Oct 27, 2017
These Dems have no idea what they're doing takes are played out already...

Try not to take your constant bed wetting public.

Eidan

AVALANCHE
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017

I think you're really overstating how much a dragged out investigation will harm Trump, and underestimating how much the larger public tunes out the longer an investigation is. Trump has been marred and hounded by scandals throughout his entire presidency, and though his approval rating are historically low, they've also remained largely consistent. Dragging this would only hurt.

Lebron

Oct 30, 2017
This is straightforward. There's no reason to drag this out once they get all the info they require. It's literally all there and they've already admitted to it.

They aren't bringing the other shit in it since it's too complicated for everyone to wrap their heads around, like the Russian fuckery. Notice how impeachment approval jumped up more with this than with Russia. You basically have to go to the board and draw lines to people's pictures like a crazy person to understand any of the Russian stuff.

This is straightforward mobster shit that he's done his whole career.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think you're really overstating how much a dragged out investigation will harm Trump, and underestimating how much the larger public tunes out the longer an investigation is. Trump has been marred and hounded by scandals throughout his entire presidency, and though his approval rating are historically low, they've also remained largely consistent. Dragging this would only hurt.
Idk. my stance is legitimately that we should've started impeachment investigations after the stormy Daniels thing (though clearly that was not possible). He has done so many illegal things in like 3 years and I can't say im happy that they're limiting the scope to just this one thing. Or that they want it to be over as soon as possible.

But okay let's say this finish the vote in November like someone posted above. good. They still got a year left before the election. we can agree that the public won't tune out for 2 months worth of impeachment news, but the idea that they won't for the other 12 months??? like they'll just remember it? wouldn't it make more sense for every month for the next year to just be another month of news about how illegal and illegitimate Trump is?

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017
I don't get (other than bedwetting) why folks think a failure of the Senate to convict will somehow reflect poorly on Democrats. If they can get to impeachment quickly and in a way the American public can easily understand, failing to follow the constitutional process to remove without having any justifiable reason other than partisanship will look awful for Republicans.

The recent news cycle has shown that they don't have anything and are scared right now. Giving them more time only lets them shore up a defense.

Oct 26, 2017
Idk. my stance is legitimately that we should've started impeachment investigations after the stormy Daniels thing (though clearly that was not possible). He has done so many illegal things in like 3 years and I can't say im happy that they're limiting the scope to just this one thing. Or that they want it to be over as soon as possible.

But okay let's say this finish the vote in November like someone posted above. good. They still got a year left before the election. we can agree that the public won't tune out for 2 months worth of impeachment news, but the idea that they won't for the other 12 months??? like they'll just remember it? wouldn't it make more sense for every month for the next year to just be another month of news about how illegal and illegitimate Trump is?
Assuming he's actually removed from office quickly after the impeachment, you're gonna be hearing about him on the news for a very long time.

Eidan

AVALANCHE
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017

Haha if you're concerned there won't be news that illustrates how illegal and illegitimate Trump is before the election, I'd say you have nothing to worry about.

kittens

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Trump and the Republicans need a whole lot more than "the base" to win an election, in both the Presidency and the senate races.

The mushy middle is ALWAYS important.

If the public majority supports impeachment, which the numbers are rapidly climbing towards, then acquiting him is something that will cost them when election time comes.

Impeachment process is lose/lose for them UNLESS they can either turn the narrative around and muddy things, or if they can create fatigue in the process, which are both things they need time for.
Yeah I agree with this. Use public support for impeachment to drive a wedge through Republican unity, and they will flee Trump. Trump is giving Dems a perfect window here.