• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

orzkare

Apr 9, 2020
Japan
Bad news ?

"The database entry is over 4 years old and whoever scraped it managed to somehow do it without obtaining even a single piece of metadata to verify any aspect of it, so I don't think it's worth even acknowledging personally."

https://twitter.com/manfightdragon/status/1405731726958108674?s=19

"It's very likely a PS Now entry for the internal port of Demons Souls PS3 for PS4 that was created during the early stages of remake for the purpose of remote QA. Sony often do this. These builds are never intended for release."

https://twitter.com/manfightdragon/status/1405732814226550786?s=19

"In fact I'd be willing to put money on this being exactly what it is, now that I think about exactly what data was scraped and exactly what I saw personally during the remake's development."

https://twitter.com/manfightdragon/status/1405733594174132225?s=19

TronLight

Jun 17, 2018
tenor.gif

Deleted member 10675

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Madrid
I will paste what I already wrote in another thread, Lance is free to correct me.

Yes, and here they are the DB registers. Definitely not 4 years old.

SerialStation | Titles

Also, this is a backup of the complete DB from january and it wasn't there at that time.

docs.google.com

PS4 Title ID List [Update: 2021-01-29]

TitleID Title ID,Content ID,Region,Category,name_default,icon0,FW,Subtitles,Audio CUSA03875,EP0400-CUSA03875_00-0000000000000000,EU,gd,-KLAUS-,<a href="http://gs2-sec.ww.prod.dl.playstation.net/gs2-sec/appkgo/prod/CUSA03875_00/4/i_248f8a305394f3c07642d7deb3933d722f2e108df9e348fa65a67c889d1c3123/...

Last edited:

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
The time is long over for a PS4 remake. Why would Sony chuck cash at it when a) Bloodborne PS5 is far more requested, and b) the PS5 remake is almost a system seller?

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
The time is long over for a PS4 remake. Why would Sony chuck cash at it when a) Bloodborne PS5 is far more requested, and b) the PS5 remake is almost a system seller?
To make more money? Souls fans aren't a lot and PS4 has a much more bigger userbase than PS5's tiny in comparison. There were other system sellers made and released for PS4 and PS5 like Miles morales and Spiderman Remastered.

From a company perspective its a sensible decision for a product thats only less than a year old in the market.

Jcdenton03

May 7, 2021
Would be nice to have it for PS4 althrough I wonder how it'd look like technicaly. Probably could be a nice treat to comfort those who are still waiting for PS5 restocks.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
To make more money? Souls fans aren't a lot and PS4 has a much more bigger userbase than PS5's tiny in comparison. There were other system sellers made and released for PS4 and PS5 like Miles morales and Spiderman Remastered.

From a company perspective its a sensible decision for a product thats only less than a year old in the market.

Only makes more money if the perceived income is more than the actual expenditure. If Sony don't see the monetary value in a PS5 version of Bloodborne - literally one of the most requested titles out there - then a PS4 release of Demon's is not going to happen.

And the relative lack of Souls fans is another reason why Miles and Spiderman Remastered got cross-generation releases but Demon's won't - it forces a relatively small but very avid fanbase to upgrade. Edit: Which is another way of saying it's a system-seller, in the same way that Bloodborne was a system seller.

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020

And yet those games sold better on PS5 by a lot according to reports, I doubt Sony would do it for an handful of people

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
Only makes more money if the perceived income is more than the actual expenditure. If Sony don't see the monetary value in a PS5 version of Bloodborne - literally one of the most requested titles out there - then a PS4 release of Demon's is not going to happen.

And the relative lack of Souls fans is another reason why Miles and Spiderman Remastered got cross-generation releases but Demon's won't - it forces a relatively small but very avid fanbase to upgrade.
I can't say much about a PS5 bloodborne version but Bloodborne is not new and is like 6 years old, while DeSR is NEW. From a general perspective i can see Sony wanting to take advantage of the new factor and get more sales on the game while its hot and then bring on PS5 bloodborne later if its happening..
And yet those games sold better on PS5 by a lot according to reports, I doubt Sony would do it for an handful of people
But thats what they've decided to with new releases like H2:FW, GoW Ragnarock and GT7.. iam just going by that factor. If they are looking for more sales and if they can make those multiplat then i don't see why they can't release a PS4 version of DeSR down the line a year later...

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, it can be ported to PS4, just run it at 720p, 30 FPS (with some small frame drops), reduce particle count, geometric complexity, and reuse some assets from the original PS3 game. No big deal.

While your at it, you can also make sure to do the same to Rift Apart. Since you can't buy a PS5 anywhere, may as well, just cancel all exclusives for the platform.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, it can be ported to PS4, just run it at 720p, 30 FPS (with some small frame drops), reduce particle count, geometric complexity, and reuse some assets from the original PS3 game. No big deal.
It can be ported to PS4 with a 1080p30 target with ease. The game isn't that advanced graphically.

While your at it, you can also make sure to do the same to Rift Apart.
This one would need a world redesign however.

benzopil

Oct 25, 2017
This reminds me of the discussions about switch ports. 240p, 10 fps, lowres textures, long loading times and other nonsense.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, Demon's Souls geometry and lighting are mighty impressive. Of course it can be ported, but I feel like the compromises would have been bigger.
They are as impressive as a 10TF PS4 would be. It should be relatively easy to cut that back to the OG PS4 if needed.
But to be clear here I don't think it will happen. It's far more likely that the DS remake started as a PS4 title but was later moved to being a PS5 exclusive.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
But thats what they've decided to with new releases like H2:FW, GoW Ragnarock and GT7.. iam just going by that factor. If they are looking for more sales and if they can make those multiplat then i don't see why they can't release a PS4 version of DeSR down the line a year later...

You acknowledged in your previous post that Souls fans aren't a lot. The fans of all 3 of those franchises you've listed are a lot. Makes absolute sense as to why they're making PS4 versions of those games (not to mention that games like H:FW started development on PS4).

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
You acknowledged in your previous post that Souls fans aren't a lot. The fans of all 3 of those franchises you've listed are a lot. Makes absolute sense as to why they're making PS4 versions of those games (not to mention that games like H:FW started development on PS4).
I knew i should've said more about that 'a lot' comment of mine but what i wanted to say in that one line was 'souls fans aren't a lot in comparison to a lot of the more mainstream and casual fanbases' but thats besides my point which was, It makes more sense for a PS4 version to exist because not only the amount of PS5 hardware sales isn't a lot as compared to PS4 numbers but also that a lot of Souls fans might not have PS5s atm since they're harder to come by still because of huge demand, Covid, etc.. Why not make more money of of People who are still on the PS4 side..

IamPeacock

Feb 9, 2018
Belgium

I get what you're going for, but Sony also has to take a look on the long term outlook.

Why would anyone buy a PS5 when every game will also release on PS4?

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
I knew i should've said more about that 'a lot' comment of mine but what i wanted to say in that one line was 'souls fans aren't a lot in comparison to a lot of the more mainstream and casual fanbases' but thats besides my point which was, It makes more sense for a PS4 version to exist because not only the amount of PS5 hardware sales isn't a lot as compared to PS4 numbers but also that a lot of Souls fans might not have PS5s atm since they're harder to come by still because of huge demand, Covid, etc.. Why not make more money of of People who are still on the PS4 side..

Just because there's way more PS4 consoles than PS5 is no guarantee that a cross-gen game will sell more on the former. Look at the overwhelmingly more PS5 sales for Miles Morales for example. There's no point to go back now and develop a PS4 version if the development costs are going to be more than the potential sales.

oracledragon

Oct 27, 2017
Not really surprising tbh, talk about holding on to the faintest glimmers of hope ;) ofc I would have loved it, heck I'd be more than happy if they ported the ps3 version up to ps4, but that ain't happening either.

With how hard a ps5 is to get, bizarrely I'll be able to play Elden Ring before I can play a Demons Souls remake.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
I get what you're going for, but Sony also has to take a look on the long term outlook.

Why would anyone buy a PS5 when every game will also release on PS4?
I think Sony don't need to worry about people buying not PS5s anymore after seeing a PS4 version a year or two later because its obvious that the demand is gonna remain insanely high and these games releasing PS4 later down the line won't even come close to hurting their bottom line which is all they are about. Maybe they have the data and it shows that people buy these PS5 versions and PS5s to play these great games without any delay and be the FIRST ones to play it, which is just my assumption but that would seem likely to be the case IMO.

PS5 gets the best version AND its users are the first to play these games regardless whether these games come to PS4 later or not.

Just because there's way more PS4 consoles than PS5 is no guarantee that a cross-gen game will sell more on the former. Look at the overwhelmingly more PS5 sales for Miles Morales for example. There's no point to go back now and develop a PS4 version if the development costs are going to be more than the potential sales.
Yeah that is definitely true that there is no guarantee from someone who's outside of the company and don't know their financials for all these cross gen PS5 games..

Last edited:

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
People that actually thought that an old database entry meant that a PS4 version of the Demon's Souls remake was coming were fooling themselves, to put it lightly.

Oct 27, 2017
It could always happen but yeah it's unlikely and that database thing was likely from an old test version. Didn't they initially use PS4 Pro to prototype PS5 projects?

But the whole idea of every PS5 Sony game coming to PS4 has gotten out of hand. They've shipped 5 next gen only game's in 7 months, yet everyone thinks them having a few more crossgen games, like they've typically done in transition years, means everything is coming

Sid

Banned
Mar 28, 2018
It could always happen but yeah it's unlikely and that database thing was likely from an old test version. Didn't they initially use PS4 Pro to prototype PS5 projects?

But the whole idea of every PS5 Sony game coming to PS4 has gotten out of hand. They've shipped 5 next gen only game's in 7 months, yet everyone thinks them having a few more crossgen games, like they've typically done in transition years, means everything is coming
The idea stems from the fact that their biggest PS5 games are/will be cross gen

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017

This isn't to say it's definitely coming (I know zero specifics about these rumors), but a lot of these priority shifts for getting PS4 releases are (seemingly) in response to the chip shortages preventing the PS5 hardware roll-out these game budgets were built around. There are a LOT of PS4s out there with active players/buyers, and there's nothing about the underlying engineering that makes something like Demon's Souls impossible on PS4.The studio that made the Demon's Souls remake is also still "in session," as opposed to the Bloodborne team having been dispersed for years now. Remember: The underlying problem is having a large enough buying audience, so more software for already the supply-constrained PS5 doesn't achieve what a PS4 version immediately could.

Oct 27, 2017
The idea stems from the fact that their biggest PS5 games are/will be cross gen
Demon Souls, DAS, Astro, Ratchet, Returnal, Deathloop, Ghostwire (before acquisition at least), FF16, Forspoken aren't. Not including Intergrade tho that's a remaster with exclusive DLC and a third party deal.

they had/have 9 next gen only games announced, but 4 games (Horizon, GOW, Miles, and GT) dominate the conversation for whatever reason

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure that Demon's Souls is worth more as a system seller than as a units seller for Sony.

In general, Souls community is a hardcore niche that will follow the games wherever they go.

Sid

Banned
Mar 28, 2018
Demon Souls, DAS, Astro, Ratchet, Returnal, Deathloop, Ghostwire (before acquisition at least), FF16, Forspoken aren't. Not including Intergrade tho that's a remaster with exclusive DLC and a third party deal.

they had/have 9 next gen only games announced, but 4 games (Horizon, GOW, Miles, and GT) dominate the conversation for whatever reason
Because they are their biggest first party games

Oct 27, 2017
Because they are their biggest first party games
True. But I do think it's overblown when they have more than double the next gen games that they have cross gen. I would argue Ratchet and FF16 are pretty big next gen gets. I get the idea, but this crossgen support is nothing new compared to past Sony/Nintendo transition years.

and These discussions never include PSVR2, which is launching in 2022 reportedly, and will have nothing but exclusives.

barring any other crossgen games, by the end of 2022, they will likely have 15-20 next gen only game's, either by first parties or third party exclusives, and we will be hung up on 4 first party crossgen games

Sid

Banned
Mar 28, 2018
True. But I do think it's overblown when they have more than double the next gen games that they have cross gen. I would argue Ratchet and FF16 are pretty big next gen gets. I get the idea, but this crossgen support is nothing new compared to past Sony/Nintendo transition years.

and These discussions never include PSVR2, which is launching in 2022 reportedly, and will have nothing but exclusives.

barring any other crossgen games, by the end of 2022, they will likely have 15-20 next gen only game's, either by first parties or third party exclusives, and we will be hung up on 4 first party crossgen games
Even for Sony this cross gen support is pretty big, their only big release was God of War II on PS2 after PS3 launched and for PS3 it was GT6. By having their biggest franchises cross gen (Spider-Man, GT, Horizon and 'God of War') I don't think this discussion is being overblown at all & Ratchet is hardly a 'get'

Oct 27, 2017
don't think this discussion is being overblown at all & Ratchet is hardly a 'get'
Again I understand the dislike for crossgen, I wish they weren't too, but Ratchet is absolutely a "get" GOW level? Eh maybe not but it is not insignificant.

They had Resogun, GT6, MLB, Beyond Two Souls, and Puppeteer on PS3 roughly a few months before PS4 launch or a few months after PS4 launch. Not to mention GOW Ascension and TLOU in earlier 2013 but let's not count those to stay closer to launch. They also had much more PS2 support after PS3 launched than just GOW2 (Jak, Syphon Filter ports, Ratchet spin offs) that wasn't huge but I don't think was insignificant either.

I understand the combo of Horizon/GOW/GT is their biggest crossgen yet, but I just do not think them having literally twice as many next gen projects as crossgen is that worrying.

I don't know what more they could do to appeal to both audiences really. 3-4 major crossgen games, 7-10 next gen only in year 1ish.

aside from the crossgen IPs being a bit bigger level, I don't think this is much different from Switch/3DS support in 2017-18 either. I mean we got a whole Pokémon only on 3DS (Ultra Sun) after switch came out

Sakon

Jul 19, 2019
Souls games always ran like shit on console anyway, so I don't think Souls fans would mind if it was 30 fps :P Kind of hard to say anything when we don't know which compromises would need to be made for the port.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
True, we should talk about a Demake in that case.

joke, it would be totally possible but they likely won't at this point