• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which game will provide the overall more impressive upgrade over their original PS3 version?

• Demon's Souls

Votes: 1,684 90.1%
  • The Last of Us Part 1

Votes: 184 9.9%

• Total voters

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
OP EDIT:
This is NOT only about graphics, but all aspects of the remakes across the board
/EDIT

Demon's Souls on PS5 was and is still heralded as a graphical benchmark for the PS5 and Bluepoint did a truly impressive job of recreating animations, delivering an extremely beautiful game and having it run wonderfully.

Now we've got another notable remake coming from PlayStation Studios in the form of The Last of Us Part 1. We've already got some glimpses of the graphical upgrades but we've also been promised additional upgrades like improved animations, modernized gameplay, improved AI, accessibility options, enhanced exploration, improved combat and much more. We have yet to see a lot of these improvements, but we can assume a lot of them will bring the game up to par with TLOU2, if not better since it's a new er title and current gen/PC only.

So the question is, which do you predict will be viewed as the larger overall leap compared to their original? In terms of graphics, sound, gameplay, controls, combat... everything. Remember we're not looking at the PS4 remaster of TLOU here, we're looking at the PS3 version.

Last edited:

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
People voting for TLoU1 in the poll probably never played the original PS3 DeS lol. The leap is WAY bigger for Demon's.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Gotta wait for gameplay to see how they're mixing it up in Part I. If it's mostly a 1:1 remake, then DeS takes it.

Trieu

Feb 22, 2019
Please let me play The Last of Us Remake first.

I have to see those games on my TV at home to properly judge them.

But obviously Demon's Souls wasn't really that impressive looking on the PS3 so the fight is not really equal.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, last of us was a technical marvel on ps3 and DeS was.... Good to play? It's not exactly a looker though lol.

The bigger leap is definitely DeS.

OP
OP
vivftp

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017

Heh, both games are and are gonna be a large upgrade across the board compared to their original variants. The question is which do you think will be the overall more impressive upgrade? For example, Demon's Souls is an amazing leap, but it still very much plays like Demon's Souls. TLOU Part 1 will likely play a lot more like TLOU2 which would be a transformative change to the gameplay.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
mr burns your campaign seems to have the momentum of a runaway freight train. why are you so popular

Red Kong XIX

Oct 11, 2020
Even me who says that the TLOU1 remake has a big enough jump to justify an remake thinks this question only has one right answer: Demons Souls.

The jump is generational there.

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018
I mean, Demon's Souls (PS3) looks awful. Like really, really bad.

TLoU Part I will look better than Demon's Souls (PS5), but it's hard to beat a PS3 FromSoftware title in uglyness so the leap isn't going to be as big visually.

But Part I will also improve more than visuals so it's going to be a bigger upgrade overall.

JEH

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Demon-Souls-Comparison.jpg

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
One is being remade from an x86 ps4 remaster, the other from a game made for the one of the most unique processors ever created used in a console notoriously difficult to develop for, creating problems both at the time and in the future.

PucePikmin

Apr 26, 2018
The gulf between the original Demon's Souls and the PS5 version will be wider, for sure. TLOU remake will probably look better overall.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
People voting for TLoU1 in the poll probably never played the original PS3 DeS lol. The leap is WAY bigger for Demon's.

Exactly. It's one of the biggest budget, high profile, technically accomplished games on the platform compared to a janky, low budget, destined to fail experimental game made by a couple dozen people.

OP
OP
vivftp

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
I mean, Demon's Souls (PS3) looks awful. Like really, really bad.

TLoU Part I will look better than Demon's Souls (PS5), but it's hard to beat a PS3 FromSoftware title in uglyness so the leap isn't going to be as big visually.

But Part I will also improve more than visuals so it's going to be a bigger upgrade overall.

Exactly. I wonder how many folks voting and responding are only looking at it from a visual POV and aren't factoring in the gameplay side of things.

Demon's Souls no doubt has the greater relative visual leap over the original to TLOU, but TLOU will likely have the grater relative gameplay leap over its original compared to Demon's Souls.

I know we haven't seen the gameplay of TLOU Pt 1 yet, but we do have the perfect proxy to imagine what it'd be like with TLOU2.

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
I hate the artstlye of DeS but the original game was undeniably primitive for the time. By virtue of that fact alone the remake is leaps and bounds above what one could reasonably expect for TloU.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Can't imagine how anyone can say The Last of Us. Demon's Souls PS3 looks unbelievably primitive. The Last of Us was the best looking game on the PS3 with an entire generation of technological know-how behind it.

The Shape

Nov 7, 2017
Brazil
There's no question here.

The original The Last of Us came out at the very end of the generation, games were already looking stellar by then, and TLOU was arguably the best looking game on that gen.

The original Demon's Souls never looked good, it looked "fine" for what it was, there were better looking games at that time. It went on to be remade to look like, again, arguably, the best looking game currently available in terms of graphics. The jump in visual quality was and will be much greater.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
Look TLOU 1 Remake looks great (That new Tess model!!) but DeS sweeps this easy. TLOU 1 was a graphical powerhouse on PS3!
Exactly. I wonder how many folks voting and responding are only looking at it from a visual POV and aren't factoring in the gameplay side of things.

Demon's Souls no doubt has the greater relative visual leap over the original to TLOU, but TLOU will likely have the grater relative gameplay leap over its original compared to Demon's Souls.

I know we haven't seen the gameplay of TLOU Pt 1 yet, but we do have the perfect proxy to imagine what it'd be like with TLOU2.
I think we gotta at least wait until they show off these gameplay improvements before taking them into consideration. People are voting based on what they've seen so far

Drachen

May 3, 2021
Definitely Demon's Souls, although I'm not gonna say Demon's Souls 2009 looks bad because I think it has a charming look to it.

Mattmo831

Featuring Mattmo831 from the Apple v Epic case
Oct 26, 2020
The last of us 1 on a gameplay change alone. Demons souls remake is legit the same exact game with a graphics overhaul.

OP
OP
vivftp

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
There's no question here.

The original The Last of Us came out at the very end of the generation, games were already looking stellar by then, and TLOU was arguably the best looking game on that gen.

The original Demon's Souls never looked good, it looked "fine" for what it was, there were better looking games at that time. It went on to be remade to look like, again, arguably, the best looking game currently available in terms of graphics. The jump in visual quality was and will be much greater.

Now are you ONLY looking at it from a visual standpoint? What about everything else and the relative leaps there?

Most of the replies have been talking about visuals and very few seem to be mentioning anything else. Hmm, I tried to frame the OP to include everything and not just visuals... guess it may not have been enough.

Daingurse

Oct 25, 2017
Demons Soul's was never a good looking game on PS3. It truly felt like a successor to the Kings Fields games, which also were rough looking.

TLOU1 however pretty much pushed the PS3 to the limit and was an extremely impressive looking game for the hardware it ran on.

I think Demons Souls will remain the more impressive remake due to the sheer raw increase in graphical fidelity.

The Shape

Nov 7, 2017
Brazil
Now are you ONLY looking at it from a visual standpoint? What about everything else and the relative leaps there?

Most of the replies have been talking about visuals and very few seem to be mentioning anything else. Hmm, I tried to frame the OP to include everything and not just visuals... guess it may not have been enough.
Maybe then we should wait a bit longer since we know very little of The Last of Us remake will be, while Demon's Souls have been out for a while, not a fair comparison.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I love the original Demon's. but the game was MAd ugly though (even if it had its charm lol). I know we're not talking just graphics but I think that's a BIG proponent to consider regardless. Since even with new mechanics in TLOU1, Demon's is a BIG difference with that alone.

c14F2aF.jpg

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
we won't know until its released

also demons souls lost some of its soul with the remake imo

so then the graphics leap is huge.
the gameplay change for last of us might be big.

so I dunno

Oct 25, 2017
Simples.

Demons Souls looks like an early PS5 game, Last Of Us Part 1 looks like a late PS4 game running at 60 fps. Don't fall for the marketing BS.

Oct 28, 2017
are you really comparing From-PS3-era to a ND game? lol

Demons Souls ran at like 340x120@12 on PS3 even by PS3 standards game was a technical mess but fuck me it was so good so you just put up with it as you usually do with FROM games even with current gen HW

Shemhazai

Aug 13, 2020
I'm so confused by the poll results. Demon's Souls is a 1:1 remake where all they did was make the graphics nicer and add some Easter eggs.

TLOU Part 1 is, by all accounts, a complete modernisation of the combat and AI in addition to the visual rework.

The answer is by default TLOU Part 1.

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018

That's because visuals are the easiest thing to see. I can show my mom the comparisons and no doubt she'd pick Demons Souls. Also TLOU isn't even out yet, so hard to compare anything else.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Its not even a contest. Demons was a really unstable frame rate to a solid one (PS4 TLOU is already 60FPS). These days, Demons is also missing its online component on the PS3 version, again another tick in the box for the PS5 version. It also polishes up the visuals nicely (which art style is nicer is another story).

TLOU already looked and performed fine on the PS3. Not great performance wise, but still better than Demons Souls.

Until these so called gameplay enhancements are shown, Im going with Demons Souls. And even afterwards I doubt I'll change my choice unless TLOU has its levels drastically redesigned from scratch to use the new mechanics. Else its basically gonna just be TLOU: Twin Snakes Kiwami edition.