• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Always appreciated Capcom's mentality for removing DRM if you're using it to protect those first 90 days, wish more companies (Sega) would do so after support ends for the title.

EDIT: Nevermind this shit still has some dumb DRM in it, just not Denuvo.

Last edited:

ramoisdead

Oct 25, 2017
CAPCPOM removed Denuvo from the game but added their own DRM, Enigma, to it which is kind of worse cuz now there's no incentive for them to remove their own DRM from their own game.

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
CAPCPOM removed Denuvo from the game but added their own DRM, Enigma, to it which is kind of worse cuz now there's no incentive for them to remove their own DRM from their own game.

Seems to be the weird trend lately. Like how companies wanted their own digital stores on PC, 2K and Capcom both have their own DRM. Sounds like both add in whatever sketchy shit they cooked up when Denuvo gets removed because that Lego game lost Denuvo a few days ago but got 2K's own DRM instead.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
Their own protection was already cracked so you don't have to worry about not being able to play your game if servers go down at least.

tandeciarz

Apr 21, 2020
What's with all the paranoia around piracy? Haven't multiple titles released on gog already proven that games do well without it?

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What's with all the paranoia around piracy? Haven't multiple titles released on gog already proven that games do well without it?

Companies believe in the lie that every downloaded copy of a game is theft. They probably want to appease shareholders with the bare minimum of "we're doing something" or "look at us, we have our own special DRM! aren't we the cool ones :)"

What's pretty hilarious about it is how quick it gets broken. While not related to the entire games DRM because it still has Denuvo, I remember when the Judgment games came to PC and they had special encryption around Takayuki Kimura's likeness in the game as he was the only model protected by the game. It was cracked within an afternoon. These things fall apart so quickly.

Unless Monster Hunter World has Enigma Protector, there's literally a sale going on right now that proves this DRM bullshit is bullshit. Or is everyone forgetting Elden Ring didn't launch with any Denuvo or DRM and still sold 20 million units?

tandeciarz

Apr 21, 2020
Interesting, if this was my code, I'd probably be more worried about integrating DRM than piracy though, does anyone really know what's inside of it? What could be the possible consequences if anywhere down the chain something malfunctions? Wasn't there also instance of Village actually performing terribly because of Denuvo? Also long term preservation, wouldn't that hinder it and make game publishers just do what they want?

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
it is a requirement, the problem in this case is that an EULA counts as disclosing this.

It's not, which can and has lead to nasty surprises, but disclosure is recommended, as otherwise people are liable to view the lack thereof as a sort of bait-and-switch and leave negative reviews (and rightly so).

And on a related note, since the "DRM Provider" section is a text box rather than a drop-down box, there's absolutely nothing preventing Capcom from disclosing the fact it is using its own DRM.

345xcnmj9d7.jpg

It's not, but disclosure is recommended, as otherwise people are liable to view the lack thereof as a sort of bait-and-switch and leave negative reviews (and rightly so).

And on a related note, since the "DRM Provider" section is a text box rather than a drop-down box, there's absolutely nothing preventing Capcom from disclosing the fact it is using its own DRM.

345xcnmj9d7.jpg
Indeed the page can be created no problem but I understood that Valve started to look unkindly if a dev was caught.

But maybe as you put it is just that Valve with not side with them on any consequences.

I mean it is obvious on purpose, they disclose but behind the link in the EULA that nobody reads.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Indeed the page can be created no problem but I understood that Valve started to look unkindly if a dev was caught.

But maybe as you put it is just that Valve with not side with them on any consequences.

I mean it is obvious on purpose, they disclose but behind the link in the EULA that nobody reads.

That's the other thing: there is no disclosure in the game's EULA. It could be argued that the "Addition or Modification to the Program" section is just slightly vague enough that it covers DRM, but, really, it's clearly referring to patches.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Seems like it's changed DRM, but regardless this thread reminded me to add this to my wishlist and will probably be picking it up on the Steam Sale. I have the DS version but never played it lol.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
There is at the start 2nd of 3rd section in a super legal lingo way.

I actually think that's the weaker section of the two, since neither Denuvo nor Enigma are "game platforms" that users are required to log in to, and as the latter is Capcom's in-house DRM, it's not third-party in any sense of the term. If the section had a more general paragraph stating that the ability to launch the game may be contingent on server authentication or whatever, then, yeah, I'd agree that would technically count as disclosure.

Last edited: