• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
I know VR is still growing its audience, and is currently the biggest its ever been, but I can still understand why an exclusive PSVR title might have gone under the radar. What made the lack of noise around this recent title more surprising to me however is that not only is it an exclusive From Software game, it was also directed by Hidetaka Miyazaki (dude has to be one of the most prolific directors in games).

I don't currently own PSVR as I'm waiting for the next-gen version, but Deracine has definitely climbed to the top of my list of games I'm looking forward to playing on it when they eventually release PSVR-2.

Has anyone here played it and, if so, what were your thoughts? I know it's clearly not supposed to be a Souls-adjacent experience, but does it still feel like a From/Miyazaki game in terms of tone, lore, etc?

Last edited:

Cugel

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 7, 2017
Cool game. Wish they would use what they learned to make Kings Field VR

Oleander

Oct 25, 2017
Very memorable title, VR or otherwise. Still think about it occasionally.

Though there's no fat-rolling or backstabs, you can tell it's a From Software title when you play it. It has the same ambience and tone.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
It's on sale right now for only $10. Maybe I'll play this over holiday break before jumping back into Demon's Souls.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I liked Deracine a lot. It's slow and quiet but I really enjoyed the weird vibe of being in that place.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
It has a somber autumn Sunday feel throughout. It's very click & play in its gameplay so don't expect involved VR mechanics. Towards the end it gets darker raising some goose bumps. In feel it reminded me a bit of Shadow of Memories/Destiny on PS2.

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
I loved it. It's merely an exploration game with some puzzle stuff so don't expect anything from a gameplay perspective. But it has a strange slightly otherworldly atmosphere and the story takes interesting turns that are worth it to see.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, after finding out about From's history of weird adventure games like Echo Night I wish they could do more stuff like this and break away from the Soulslike machine they've kind of become. It's a really cool, unexpectedly dark little point-and-click with some great atmosphere.

Also don't go into it looking for any Bloodborne/Souls connections. I'm sure if you go looking at their older catalogue you'd see similar themes running through their stuff, but that doesn't make Deracine a stealth Bloodborne sequel and you're doing a disservice to it and FromSoft to hinge its worth on it being one.

Oct 27, 2017
Roma, Italia
I wonder if they'll ever develop another Echo Night, one of my favourite series of all time, but this definitely looks like a wonderful little spiritual chapter in the series

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
As long as you don't go in expecting combat you'll be fine. Atmosphere is dialed up to 1000 and the soundtrack/VO is fantastic. Really interesting piece of software that really harkens back to From's old stuff

Honestly wasn't much of a fan. The controls are very awkward with no comfort options to speak of, so you have this game that's constantly at odds with itself in terms of what it's going for (slow burn atmosphere) versus how it's doing it (almost twitchy camera transitions and teleporting) that can make it a little nauseous to play, which is something I thought I'd never say with how many VR games I've played through on PSVR up to that point. Didn't find the story engaging enough to make up for that, though it does have its moments.

Probably one of the best showcases for 3D audio out there, though, as there's one scene in particular that makes you feel like that you're in a concert hall and it sounds so lovely.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Yeah, I don't have a PSVR, but I've had this game purchased for a while now. Really love From, especially their Echo Night stuff, plus Miyazaki has directed some of my all time favorites.
In terms of VR games this would probably be the first one I play, or immediately after Half Life Alyx.

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
I love it, don't want to spoil anything but it get darker then the first look. It remind me of Echo Night without the horror vibe.

Dalto11

Oct 27, 2017
Given its $10 used at GS right now, I went ahead and picked it up. Had no idea this existed.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
mm, interested in this game, not sure if i will like it. Is it a mistery/thriller/horror game with exploration? i was tempted to buy Blood and Truth , but may choose this one. Any review that doesn't spoil the game?

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
I bought it and found out that it required the PS move controllers, so now it's just sitting on my PS4 gathering digital dust...

Really bad that you can't just play it with a DS4.

I bought it and found out that it required the PS move controllers, so now it's just sitting on my PS4 gathering digital dust...

Really bad that you can't just play it with a DS4.
Yeah, I'm not sure why Move was required for this game when player input is rather minimal in terms of object manipulation. You sure aren't going to need more than one hand to get through the game.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
mm, interested in this game, not sure if i will like it. Is it a mistery/thriller/horror game with exploration? i was tempted to buy Blood and Truth , but may choose this one. Any review that doesn't spoil the game?
It's more of a mystery game than horror or thriller even if it does get a bit dark and atmospheric towards the end. I'd say it's kind of what people call a "walking sim", with teleportation movement and some light puzzles. You explore a large house and a few other small areas, interact with its inhabitants and help them with minor tasks. Most of the appeal comes from the world building, characters and story rather than the gameplay. Probably one of the best looking PS VR games.

If you want action then there isn't any whatsoever so it's kind of the opposite of Blood & Truth.