red_shift_ltd

May 24, 2019
US

The Boat

Oct 28, 2017
FYI, that 52% fatality rate isn't accurate due to underreporting. It's being tossed around to fearmonger, but why would I expect journalists to do better>
It's not fear mongering to report confirmed numbers. If it's underreported, wouldn't the real number be higher? How is reporting a lower number fear mongering?

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
Wait where the hell is that 52% fatality rate from? That sounds ridiculous.

Straight from the WHO.

From 1 January 2003 to 28 March 2024, a total of 254 cases of human infection with avian influenza A(H5N1) virus have been reported from four countries within the Western Pacific Region (Table 1). Of these cases, 141 were fatal, resulting in a case fatality rate (CFR) of 56%. The last cases in the Western Pacific Region were reported from Viet Nam, with an onset date of 11 March 2024.

ryan13ts

Oct 28, 2017
How is it that people are somehow becoming more stupid as we have more information, scientific knowledge, and technology than ever before?

Davidion

Charitable King
Oct 27, 2017
So, not contagious? I'm good then.

How is it that people are somehow becoming more stupid as we have more information, scientific knowledge, and technology than ever before?

"Adding more of a [thing] is always better" is an absolute fallacy. Even when that [thing] is education and information

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Oh boy there was this friend from high school that posts on Facebook about how "raw milk is good for you, akshually" with her and her husband wearing shirts that say "Make Milk Raw Again" Then I saw her comment something like "Yeah still believing in raw milk is like wearing a scarlet letter" Okay chill out there Raw Milk Hester Prynne. I'm sure she's going to defend this somehow and I won't like it's going to be entertaining to watch.

Tukarrs

Oct 27, 2017
I've read that some h5n1 cows are producing yellowish thick milk.

Just wanted that fact shared to more people.

Aselith

Oct 27, 2017
It's not fear mongering to report confirmed numbers. If it's underreported, wouldn't the real number be higher? How is reporting a lower number fear mongering?

I think the poster might have meant that the number of raw milk drinkers or people who become sick from it are underreported?

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017

The woke leftist scientific community telling people not to drink raw milk is the primary appeal of it.

It's just a dietary equivalent of anti vaxxers, just do the opposite of what the govt recommends. There will always be an appeal to that type of grift.

Kelryin

Oct 27, 2017
The sad part are these raw milk drinkers are parents and forcing it down to their kids.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017

Lots of reasons. Because understanding all that is hard, whereas declaring it all fake is easy, and makes a stupid person feel like they are the smart one. Because stupidity like that can be contagious. Because actual threat to life, from disease, is rarer than it once was, so stupid people feel invulnerable. And so on.

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
Wait where the hell is that 52% fatality rate from? That sounds ridiculous.
As others have said thats only counting the 800 or so confirmed human cases. Since its not human communicable yet anyone with mild symptoms probably wouldn't know. This happens with all uncommon infections.

That said. A true CFR of 50% would seem unlikely for a flu virus but it isn't out of the question. Rabies has either a 0% or 100% CFR depending on if you get vaccinated before it finishes incubating or not.

Randam

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Raw milk by itself is not dangerous. Dairy milk gets tested every time it gets collected and when they find something they immediately inform the farmer.
So as long as you don't consume milk from an untested cow or herd you'll be fine.

AGoodODST

Oct 28, 2017
What happened to the person on here that wanted to do this? Pretty sure it was one of those threads were everyone advised against it and they done it anyway. Can't remember lol

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017
Raw milk by itself is not dangerous. Dairy milk gets tested every time it gets collected and when they find something they immediately inform the farmer.
So as long as you don't consume milk from an untested cow or herd you'll be fine.

....what?

Raw milk is milk that has not been pasteurized to kill harmful bacteria. Raw milk can be contaminated with harmful germs that can make you very sick. In fact, raw milk is one of the riskiest foods.

People who get sick from raw milk might have many days of diarrhea, stomach cramping, and vomiting. Some people might develop severe or even life-threatening diseases

The study found that the number of outbreaks linked to raw milk has increased over time.
  • From 1998 through 2018, 202 outbreaks occurred because of drinking raw milk. These outbreaks caused 2,645 illnesses and 228 hospitalizations.
  • Among illnesses linked to unpasteurized milk that occurred from 2013 through 2018, 48% (325) were among people aged 0–19 years.
  • Areas where raw milk was legally sold had 3.2 times more outbreaks than areas where the sale of raw milk was illegal. Areas where raw milk was allowed to be sold in retail stores had 3.6 times more outbreaks than areas where sale was allowed only on farms.
  • The study shows laws that increase the availability of raw milk are associated with more illnesses and outbreaks.

Foodborne illness outbreaks linked to unpasteurised milk and relationship to changes in state laws – United States, 1998–2018

CupOfDoom

Dec 17, 2017
Drinking raw milk is all downsides, and no upsides.

No food is worth the risk of getting tuberculosis in your bones.

I stg that more people needed to actually be paying attention in science class. There is a reason we pasteurize milk, and its not because of "big pasteurization", or whatever.

t67443

Oct 30, 2017
I saw a tons type of milk, used to work for Target, I never saw a big box brand raw milk?
The only people I've seen talk about getting raw milk were trying to find farms they can buy from directly. Their stance was some country bumpkin craziness.
Reminds me of the Axios Trump interview meme.

ratprophet

Jun 24, 2021
You know I had a bit of an inkling, so looked something up:

www.theguardian.com

No, you don’t need to be drinking raw milk

Thanks to TikTok, raw milk is growing in popularity in the US. But health experts are appalled

Now, a growing number of our foremost thinkers (influencers and bearded men in sleeveless muscle tanks on TikTok) are bemoaning the modern scourge of *checks notes* … pasteurization?

Raw milk is growing in popularity. Here's what you need to know about the trend.

Raw milk comes straight from the cow (or sheep or goat) and has not been pasteurized. As Women's Wear Daily observed this month: "Raw milk is the internet's latest wellness craze." Last summer, NBC News reported that "the raw milk debate is pitting TikTokers and farmers against doctors", and the New York Times noted that more states were legalizing the sale of raw milk.

Take one video posted on TikTok by a supplement company called Heart and Soil. In it, three young people toss a gallon of (presumably raw) milk to each other, take a deep swig, and say things like, "Raw milk is generally misunderstood by most people," and "Unfortunately, most of the milk you find in grocery stores is pasteurized."

In another, Paul Saladino, a popular fitness influencer also known as Carnivore MD, shirtlessly sings the supposed praises of raw milk, saying, "This is nothing like that pasteurized, homogenized milk you get in the store, guys."

Anyone beginning to see a trend?

Last edited:

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
The institute's founder, Mark McAfee, told the Los Angeles Times this weekend that his customers are, in fact, specifically requesting raw milk from H5N1-infected cows.

Sigh. If this sort of behavior only hurt the idiots that partaked in it I'd shrug it off but it's no doubt going to be their kids that suffer the consequences of these fools. Nevermind if their behavior helps cause infections in the community.

You know I had a bit of an inkling, so looked something up:

www.theguardian.com

No, you don’t need to be drinking raw milk

Thanks to TikTok, raw milk is growing in popularity in the US. But health experts are appalled

Anyone beginning to see a trend?

I generally assume that these people have no idea what homogenization or pasteurizing actually are. What does throw me slightly is that I would have thought these sorts of people would go for some sort of fancy nut based milk to meet their 'purity' or 'close to nature' needs, and not a cow's milk of any sort.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
Jesus... is that from lack of available treatment, or is it really that bad?

No real cure and vaccine for human exist at this time.

"This remains I think an enormous concern," the UN health agency's chief scientist, Jeremy Farrar, told reporters in Geneva.
He said efforts were under way towards the development of vaccines and therapeutics for H5N1, and stressed the need to ensure that regional and national health authorities around the world had the capacity to diagnose the virus.

This was being done so that "if H5N1 did come across to humans, with human-to-human transmission", the world would be "in a position to immediately respond",

www.theguardian.com

Risk of bird flu spreading to humans is ‘enormous concern’, says WHO

Chief scientist voices fears about H5N1 variant that has ‘extraordinarily high’ mortality rate in humans

Last edited:

I am a Bird

Oct 31, 2017
I think we should get this more of this virus milk. Hell forget the milk can we just make a jar of the virus?

Deleted member 35618

Dec 7, 2017

It's fearmongering when done without context. Cases that don't result in death are very likely underreported, which means deaths would take up a lower number of actual income infections. An influenza virus having that high of an IFR would be unlikely. This is reminiscent of the early COVID IFRs, which were much lower than predicted.

There is way too little information and research at this point to come up with an accurate IFR for H5N1 at this time.

View: https://twitter.com/OmicronData/status/1784719309094199376

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017
It's fearmongering when done without context. Cases that don't result in death are very likely underreported, which means deaths would take up a lower number of actual income infections. An influenza virus having that high of an IFR would be unlikely. This is reminiscent of the early COVID IFRs, which were much lower than predicted.

There is way too little information and research at this point to come up with an accurate IFR for H5N1 at this time.

View: https://twitter.com/OmicronData/status/1784719309094199376

7 million people dead from COVID but won't someone think of the 'fearmongering' wtf

Deleted member 35618

Dec 7, 2017
7 million people dead from COVID but won't someone think of the 'fearmongering' wtf

Where in my post do I downplay the death toll of COVID? I'm just using the initial IFR estimated for COVID-19 as an example of how, especially when it's novel, they're always much higher than the actual IFR. COVID initially had IFRs of 20% and higher, but in actuality, it was less than 1%.

The Tweet is the start of a thread that explains this.

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017
Where in my post do I downplay the death toll of COVID? I'm just using the initial IFR estimated for COVID-19 as an example of how, especially when it's novel, they're always much higher than the actual IFR.

By using the term 'fearmongering' when they are simply reporting factual numbers centered around an article about people literally drinking virus-infested milk? Like....out of all that...that's the thing you decided to focus on...why?

Oct 27, 2017
Next week in the AP:

"Mark McAfee, founder of the California-based Raw Milk Institute dies in mysterious circumstances."

Deleted member 35618

Dec 7, 2017
By using the term 'fearmongering' when they are simply reporting factual numbers centered around an article about people literally drinking virus-infested milk? Like....out of all that...that's the thing you decided to focus on...why?

Because the writer, in the very title of the article, is insinuating that the H5N1 is killing half the people it is infecting, which is insanely misleading? And if they are truly interested in report the facts and real science, know what they are doing when they report that. Are you saying it's wrong to point out and focus on sensationalizing?

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017
Because the writer, in the very title of the article, is insinuating that the H5N1 is killing half the people it is infecting, which is insanely misleading? And if they are truly interested in report the facts and real science, know what they are doing when they report that. Are you saying it's wrong to point out and focus on sensationalizing?

It's not though? It's literally based on the numbers of confirmed cases, which you would know if you took 2 minutes to read the article and context?

I'm saying it's wrong to focus on your idea of 'sensationalizing' to minimize the underlying point of the article, which is that DUMBFUCKS ARE INTENTIONALLY DRINKING MILK WITH THE H1N1 VIRUS IN IT. I don't think there is any sensationalizing that level of stupidity and focusing on 'actually we don't know the IFR and this is fearmongering!' makes no sense.

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
I drank raw milk from an Amish market many years ago and was sick for 2-3 days afterwards.

Never again!!

OP
OP
HStallion

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017

Honestly I'm fine with a bit of sensationalism if helps stop people from turning themselves into walking breeding grounds for a potentially horrific disease.

Deleted member 35618

Dec 7, 2017
It's not though? It's literally based on the numbers of confirmed cases, which you would know if you took 2 minutes to read the article and context?

I'm saying it's wrong to focus on your idea of 'sensationalizing' to minimize the underlying point of the article, which is that DUMBFUCKS ARE INTENTIONALLY DRINKING MILK WITH THE H1N1 VIRUS IN IT. I don't think there is any sensationalizing that level of stupidity and focusing on 'actually we don't know the IFR and this is fearmongering!' makes no sense.

It's possible to focus on two different things. People have, do and will always have complete disregard for their health and enough people here have already made that point. Focusing on something else doesn't nullify that.

I read the entire article, and it doesn't provide the proper context, as it doesn't even discern between CFR and IFR. And it barely even questions that it could be less than 50%.

Yeah, no. I expect a science/tech publication to do better and will keep calling them out. For the sake of scientific literacy, I hope others will do the same.

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017
It's possible to focus on two different things. People have, do and will always have complete disregard for their health and enough people here have already made that point. Focusing on something else doesn't nullify that.

I read the entire article, and it doesn't provide the proper context, as it doesn't even discern between CFR and IFR. And it barely even questions that it could be less than 50%.

Yeah, no. I expect a science/tech publication to do better and will keep calling them out. For the sake of scientific literacy, I hope others will do the same.

How do you feel about raw milk?

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I think of the people who invented vaccination and pasteurization being retroactively demonized by 21st century luddites, and I wonder if we're just months away from "actually, punnet squares are bullshit, I'll do my own research, Ms Genetic Counselor PhD," or "Internal combustion is a myth, I'm loading sugar into my gas tank, energy is energy."

Better hope for an "electric cars are the signs of the devil. Petrol is energy, let me show you by having me drinking it! If it can power a car, it can power me!"