• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Say what you will about Destiny 2, the mistakes made and the changes Bungie has been making to try and change course -- I don't think anyone ever expected they would launch what seems to be Destiny PTR. And on consoles too, not just PC.

This is a pretty drastic change from the Bungie we have known since the original Destiny launched and it's hard to argue they aren't listening and acting at this point.

And it's launching in less than two weeks alongside the return of Faction Rallies and sandbox changes to Exotic armor.

https://www.bungie.net/en/News/Article/46871

dev_roadmap_5_16_18_1.jpg

Game Director Christopher Barrett:
Now that Warmind has officially launched, we're ready to add some additional details to the upcoming roadmap. There are a lot of eagerly awaited updates that are scheduled to arrive in September, and we'll tell you more about those in the coming months, including our plans for year two of Destiny 2. But this summer won't just be spent playing the waiting game. We'll be delivering the Prestige modes you've been waiting for, bringing back Bounties, providing quality of life fixes, and more. In addition, we're launching a new seasonal event called 'Solstice of Heroes' where Guardians will celebrate their accomplishments and, of course, earn sweet new rewards.

Design Lead Derek Carroll:
I can already hear you asking "What is Crucible Labs?" and I'm glad you want to know more. Update 1.2.1 will include a new feature intended to give you a peek behind the scenes and a louder voice in our creative process. Crucible Labs will give every player of Destiny 2 access to experimental PvP content. We'll then have a chance to solicit your feedback to guide our final iterations. You'll learn more about Labs before launch. For today, with it making an appearance on the Roadmap, I wanted to give you a preview of our goals. More to come on this soon.

Arsic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
is that like forge?

that kept me playing halo even after the pvp maps started getting stale.

Just a public test realm for things they want to do in game to get feedback before it becomes official in game.

AKA Bungie literally has no clue how to satisfy its fanbase anymore so they'll just throw shit out, get feedback, and hopefully give folks what they want before making it something they have to keep patching. Should be less work on their end in the long run, but man why do you have 500+ employees and 0 direction on how to make a game good?

Whatever. If they ever fix this shit I'm all for it. Just want a Taken King level turnaround and I'm all in.

Solid Shake

Oct 28, 2017
Finally, this is a great step in the right direction. I'm sure the game will be in a much better state 6 months from now, I just wish it hadn't taken them a year to get there.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Frankly, I don't care about the state of PvP in the game. I was never interested in PvP in Destiny, and only play it for milestone loot.

This doesn't mean shit if they don't fix the loot game.

Oct 25, 2017
They literally put out something that the community wants. That can possibly help benefit the game and help find a common ground. And you find a way to turn that into a bad thing lol.

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
I don't say this with any kind of vitriol or malice, especially since I just picked up Destiny 2 on PC and am having a lot of fun with it, but it truly is enormously sad and wasteful just how much time and manpower has been spent on reverting Destiny 2 into something much closer to the first game. What a shame, especially since it was apparently so important to "wipe the slate clean" for D2 to keep folks from carrying over progress and items from D1, and then all of the ways D2 is different from D1 is just for the worse. This sucks.

The first year of this game's life feels like it's been surgery that's done nothing but halt the franchise's evolution. It's like it hasn't moved forward at all.

Deleted member 11976

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Have been asking for a PTS (of sorts) for a long time now, in addition to more frequent and clear communication. Bungie is doing much better than they were before DLC1. Looking forward to the next round of changes at the end of the month.

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They literally put out something that the community wants. That can possibly help benefit the game and help find a common ground. And you find a way to turn that into a bad thing lol.

The vitriol towards the game really is something else. Glad to see Bungie getting on the right path, a lot is riding on the September expansion.

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully a PTR will mean quicker balance changes.
I'll be curious to see how it all works out. I'm still skeptical that the ship will be righted. I don't know if Bungie has the vision and I don't know if the players still around to give feedback will make matters better or worse. At least they're trying though.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The vitriol towards the game really is something else. Glad to see Bungie getting on the right path, a lot is riding on the September expansion.
Because they're gonna do this with every new Destiny. They had it right with Destiny 1, and basically started from scratch with Destiny 2, and the game's currently in a worse state than it was at this point in the development of Destiny 1.

OP
OP
ZeoVGM

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Frankly, I don't care about the state of PvP in the game. I was never interested in PvP in Destiny, and only play it for milestone loot

It's not just about you though. PvP is half of the game. The state of PvP is just as important as the rest of the game.

Because they're gonna do this with every new Destiny. They had it right with Destiny 1, and basically started from scratch with Destiny 2, and the game's currently in a worse state than it was at this point in the development of Destiny 1.

And I honestly don't understand the point of posts like this.

Yes, we get it: they had it by the end of Destiny 1. And then they made a lot of mistakes with Destiny 2.

So they're trying to fix it. They can't just cancel the game. It's out. It is Destiny for at least another year and a half.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Honestly, I personally only know what a PTR is from playing Overwatch. I think Player Test Realm and its meaning should be in the opening post. Further more, that's cool they're doing this, but I don't see it helping much if almost their entire pvp user base is playing the PTR to begin with.

Deleted member 11157

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Good for people still playing it. I had my fill with just the campaign and some hours doing those random missions that popped up. Never had a chance to do a raid.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
Wow didn't expect Bungie to be willing/capable of doing something like this so soon.

Not sure about "experimental PvP content" though. The first thing this PTR needs to do is not add anything, but focus on massive balance changes to change the way the game plays and bring it more in line with the pace and nature of Destiny 1 crucible. This better not be used as a method for advertising future content.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
Thank you posters who asked, reading the OP and the Bungie posts I had no idea what PTR meant.

Still not putting the disc back in until matchmaking is implemented.

Tiber

Nov 1, 2017
So in September there is another expansion like the taken king?

Yea. And for me? Taken King/Rise of Iron was easily the best period of D1.

So if the upcoming (presumably Darkness themed?) expansion can be as good as Taken King? Personally I will be pretty satisfied even if Osiris was a letdown

hydruxo

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
PTR is a good move. That really helped turn The Division around so hopefully Bungie utilizes it effectively.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
People have been asking this forever because they know how long Bungie takes to listen to the feedback and implement it. Might as well start that process as early as possible.

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yea. And for me? Taken King/Rise of Iron was easily the best period of D1.

So if the upcoming (presumably Darkness themed?) expansion can be as good as Taken King? Personally I will be pretty satisfied even if Osiris was a letdown

There is no way it will be Darkness. It will be most likely Hive themed again (Probably Savathun).

JJJ117

Banned
Apr 25, 2018
New York, USA
Beat the base game and did lots of end game content. Are the 2 expansions out now worth the $35 or should i just wait until September?

Oct 25, 2017
Thank you posters who asked, reading the OP and the Bungie posts I had no idea what PTR meant.

Still not putting the disc back in until matchmaking is implemented.

You should have never bought if matchmaking was a dealbreaker. If you are talking about matchmaking for raids because I still don't see that happening. That is the least of Bungie's concerns and would only introduce more problems.

Beat the base game and did lots of end game content. Are the 2 expansions out now worth the $35 or should i just wait until September?

Wait. It's not worth $35 unless you just really have the need to grind right now.

Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
Man I'm excited about this. As long as they're willing to test radical changes and not just soft tune-up it might make the game great again. Three tap Hand Cannons with a 0.83s time to kill is where we need to go back to.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you want to play the raids while they're still relevant and being enjoyed by the playerbase, then it's worth picking it up.

If you enjoyed all the stuff in the base game and intend to push well into the endgame then it's worth picking up.

If you just want to play the campaigns then don't bother though.