• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

GulfCoastZilla

Shinra Employee
Sep 13, 2022
I wonder if they are scaling back Destiny team
Guess they have no room for people on marathon team.

Hope the devs end up somewhere they can feel needed and wanted.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Shit, that's a bummer.

Hoping every one affected can get back on their feet swiftly.

Oct 27, 2017
Don't they have:
1) Maintaining and building an expansion for D2
2) A big new GAAS title in Marathon
3) Another unannounced new IP

Why would you lay off when you've got all that going on?

Greent4

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Charlotte, NC
Consolidation usually leads to layoffs.
Especially after covid proped up the gaming industry. I hope these ppl land on their feet.

blamite

Oct 27, 2017
That's fucked, especially if this is because of Sony decisionmaking. Pivot to GAAS, pick up Bungie to lead that transition, and gut them shortly after.

Dec 2, 2021
Shitty and also seems like a very short sighted thing to do when they've got Marathon and potentially a new IP on the way which will probably need every hand they can get assuming both are gaas. Even if it's only business roles, they're supposed be running Sony's gaas efforts and will be juggling a lot of brands themselves.

Jun 5, 2023
I don't get it. Are we paying more attention now or is the industry having an unprecedented amount of layoffs this year. Or both?

masizzai

Nov 28, 2017
That's just awful. I thought them being so integral to Sonys GAAS push would protect them but I guess not.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't get it. Are we paying more attention now or is the industry having an unprecedented amount of layoffs this year. Or both?
Unprecedented. Overhiring during Covid and inflation/ increased interest rates have been a really bad combo for the industry. It's not just games, but tech in general. Microsoft and Amazon have laid of 10k+ workers in the last year.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Consolidation usually leads to layoffs.
This is true, but if I were working at Bungie and hadn't been laid off by now, I'd probably feel like I was "in the clear" for that reason, at least since it's been so long since Sony acquired them.

I guess I don't really know how anything works though, really.

Arkhanor

Oct 27, 2017
Recife - Brazil
Fucking hell. This year has been brutal for workers. My heart goes out for them and I sincerely hope they can land on their feet and find new jobs quickly. This is so fucking sad.

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017
Record profits, but can't keep employees on, lest the stock drops by 5 cents... Fucking capitalism

Pepsimaaan

Oct 20, 2023
2023: the year of the corporate tantrum. "Wahhh, you didn't buy into GaaS, time for some sackings!"

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
I guess as they're only a few months away from releasing Destiny 2's final expansion it's not surprising that they'll be cutting down on staffing. The past 3 years have been brutal for an industry that's always operated with ebbs and flows.

Dec 2, 2021
Both. There's an unusually high amount as a result of the pendulum swing back from the unusually high amount of hires during Covid. There's also more attention on it as a result of the frequency keeping it a hot topic and things like it just getting more attention over time in the same way work places abuses have been for the past few years.

Oct 27, 2017
I thought Bungie was suppose to grow after the merger. The D2 is stale as fuck at this point and they made it sound that the game was going to benefit in the future after the merger but that would show a few years out after the Final Shape. Laying off people right before the big finale of this part of the series doesn't bode well for the games future post Final Shape if they are reducing headcount by a large amount. Disappointing news for all.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Bummer, but not unexpected. With rampant consolidation going on this is gonna be the new norm.

Mocha Joe

Jun 2, 2021
This is true, but if I were working at Bungie and hadn't been laid off by now, I'd probably feel like I was "in the clear" for that reason, at least since it's been so long since Sony acquired them.

I guess I don't really know how anything works though, really.
its been a little over a year, this is when layoffs happen

Fuck capitalism and fuck acquisitions. Stop rooting for acquisitions and developers need to unionize.

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia

Both, but more of the latter. Everyone's losing jobs, even legendary veterans who have shaped some of the most celebrated and influential IPs in gaming. It's such a shit show that with so many talented artists and developers looking for work, there's zero opportunity for juniors and fresh grads looking to break into the industry (unless they're willing to be exploited, which is a whole other can of worms)

caffe misto

Oct 25, 2017
the electric city
Man, that's rough. I've got some former coworkers who went to work there over the last year, and one of the reasons that I was happy for them is it seems like the kind of stable place that they can sort of put themselves at ease. But I guess nowhere is safe right now.

Iced_Eagle

Dec 26, 2017
I really hate this industry right now. Had multiple people I know move to Bungie after getting laid off at other studios earlier this year. Sucks they have to go through that trauma again.

Defuser

Oct 25, 2017
No way they let go Liana
Fucking wow
The writing was on the wall sadly. The moment DMG left and the social media accounts was managed by multiple people under the Destiny2teams account, it was a matter of time. Pretty disgusting considering she tanked most of the toxicity vitriol hurled at TWIDs after Lightfall launched.

Det

Jul 30, 2020
Unprecedented. Overhiring during Covid and inflation/ increased interest rates have been a really bad combo for the industry. It's not just games, but tech in general. Microsoft and Amazon have laid of 10k+ workers in the last year.

Same in biotech, unprecedented layoffs & closures. Related to it: VCs funding fewer companies but at higher amounts with much more oversight on capital deployment over the short to medium term.

On-topic: this fucking sucks, I hope everyone lands on their feet. Something we keep saying ad nauseam given what a disaster this year has been for layoffs... Shit is depressing.

Praedyth

Feb 25, 2020
Brazil
Feels bad man. It has been a while that Bungie feels mismanaged and that seems to be a culmination of it. Things shouldn't have to be this way. I hope these people get back on their feet quickly.

I totally expect them to delay The Final Shape any moment now. They had little to show in the showcase and I don't expect them to have more with less people now.

Damn, they should've at least tried to move people to Marathon. Unless that is also suffering cuts.

Wolf

Oct 25, 2017
With all the other Sony departures this definitely smells of a Sony call rather than a Bungie one.

This fucking sucks.

Quellyford

Banned
May 16, 2020
User Banned (1 Week): Platform Warring; Concern Trolling; History of Platform Warring
Jim Ryan gone, Connie Booth gone, layoffs at Media Molecule, layoffs at Naughty Dog, layoffs at Bungie... what's going on at Playstation right now?

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I can only imagine its redundancies. If PlayStation decides to manage all aspects of Bungie then they may not need their own HR team, their own community reps, their own corporate services team, their own marketing team, etc.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
from the washington post piece covering the acquisition last year:

Executives love to say this, and technically he was correct - they didn't lay anybody off when the Sony deal closed.

This could be entirely unrelated to the Sony buyout or it could be specifically driven by Sony wanting to reduce costs, though. We have no way of knowing until an official statement is made.

I can only imagine its redundancies. If PlayStation decides to manage all aspects of Bungie then they may not need their own HR team, their own community reps, their own corporate services team, their own marketing team, etc.

Ironically, Sony killing Bungie's PR department would be pretty ridiculous considering they supposedly bought Bungie for their live service experience, and nothing is LESS USEFUL for a live service than all of your PR and community management being filtered through a publisher and NOT someone at the actual development studio.