Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
Community manager doesn't sound like a merger-related redundancy tbh. These are probably the studio reckoning with massive overhead against (I assume) declining Destiny revenue.
Not sure revenue is declining from Destiny - I guess perhaps a little, but it was hitting new Steam player peaks earlier this year. The expansion being poor has sapped that momentum a bit but I can't imagine it being toward the extent that it requires layoffs. More likely its the same thing that's hitting everyone else - a realisation they feel they overhired during the pandemic and feel like they should just fix it by firing a bunch of people and restructuring what's left.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
Liana got cut from Bungie? Fucking wow.

I'm hoping she lands on her feet soon and hopefully in a less stressful environment. The amount of bullshit she had to endure from the rabid D2 fanbase is ridiculous. :(

Pocky4Th3Win

Oct 31, 2017
Minnesota
Community manager doesn't sound like a merger-related redundancy tbh. These are probably the studio reckoning with massive overhead against (I assume) declining Destiny revenue.
I mean to me this seems like exactly what it is. Sony is probably looking at where they can merge teams and Community Management is on specific area. You don't really need someone per brand to manage social media. You can have one team that handles all your brands and house them in one office. It's in reality one of the few roles that you can shave off head count and without a huge impact to its performance sadly. Heck there are entire companies that will do this for you (I use to work for one when LG spun off its Mobile Divisions marketing).

ezekial45

Oct 25, 2017
Just really sad all around. Like there was no need for this happen. So many cool people getting let go, and for what?

MrHedin

Dec 7, 2018
Developers need a union.

its been a little over a year, this is when layoffs happen

Fuck capitalism and fuck acquisitions. Stop rooting for acquisitions and developers need to unionize.

So sad. Bring on the unions!

What kind of response is this? It's clear that something's going on. The odds that all of these are just random events is pretty low, so it's reasonable to ask if there's some larger issue going on that we aren't aware of.

Both my parents were in a union (UAW) and so my family and myself benefited greatly from it, they are great and any industry/workplace that can unionize should. That said unions would not really stop this. They can certainly help in terms of notification and severance packages but being a part of a union generally does not make you immune to a layoff.

reksveks

May 17, 2022
If you want to ship/sell 25m consoles with sales and have a decent profit this gen, you need to make cuts to costs in different ways.

SilentEagle

Jan 9, 2021
Bungie hired top talent very quickly for lead and director positions in last years. Never thought there will be layoffs at there.

Grips

Oct 5, 2020
Mainframe
Firing CMs and the Social Lead is wild.

The only thing that makes sense is Bungie(Sony?) wants a whole new team, because they will need these positions filled fast in this day and age.

Sad all around.

Super

Studied the Buster Sword
Jan 29, 2022

What kind of response is this? It's clear that something's going on. The odds that all of these are just random events is pretty low, so it's reasonable to ask if there's some larger issue going on that we aren't aware of.

Conflating retirement with layoffs speaks volumes. Let's just hope people affected land on their feet.

Witchcraft

"This guy are sick"
Oct 9, 2022
Consolidation, as always, fucking sucks. This is gross, hope all those impacted land on their feet.

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
Conflating retirement with layoffs speaks volumes.
Layoffs combined with massive leadership shakeups will always have people talking, even if the truth is less interesting than what appears. Let's try not to be so touchy even about companies we like, and not go accusing people of things they very clearly didnt mean

True Underdog

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I got caught up in this today. (as of 10 AM Pacific time)
Glad that I at least have some form of healthcare benefit for the next few months, and that I had over a years pay saved up; I am currently in the middle of recovering from a stroke that I stand while working in May of last year(I'm still left side, paralyzed, which isn't fun).

And I'm still getting over the death of a pet, who I was very close to, earlier this year.

So yeah, the last year and a half I've been pretty tough.

I'm not sure what I can say, but I'll share with information I can.

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL

valis

Oct 27, 2017
Ventura
Looks like a June delay for Final Shape and a push to 2025 for Marathon as well. What on earth is going on over there...

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
You'd think a delay would lead to them wanting more staff, not less. These corps are just so short sighted.
Also real bad time for Destiny to have a big delay. Waiting until June for The Final Shape is brutal.

Oct 27, 2017

i don't know why so many people on here think if you're in a union you can't get laid off

Milk

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hippy was such a great community manager. She had such good vibes. This sucks hard, hope everyone finds work quickly.

Final Shape delay is quite the bombshell from Jason, if that's real then I figure they'll probably announce that today, right?

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
Do the people who are let go still get their cut of that employee retention fund or is that gone too?

S1kkZ

Oct 27, 2017
aside from helldivers 2 (which could still be delayed)...is any playstation gaas game on track or has a solid release date?

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
My favorite studio in gaming. Hope they land on their feet.

All this cutting. You almost have to assume they are getting ready for a round of acquisition.

BLASTEROID

Oct 25, 2017
Layoffs are common for the last year or two in more than just the video game industry but tech in general, and probably everywhere but I don't keep track... Growth at almost any cost was the modus operandi for basically everyone for years... Investment dollars were easy to come by with rates being so low in previous years. Money was cheap, as they say.

Pandemic threw all of that to a grinding halt. Rates shot back up, inflation shot up, everything is kinda F'D, and then you end up stuck in the middle of a massive growth strategy but without the gravy train to help keep it up.

Sad, but if you're working at bungie, then you're probably super talented, and you're gonna be just fine in the long term.

Nista

Oct 26, 2017
Glad that I at least have some form of healthcare benefit for the next few months, and that I had over a years pay saved up; I am currently in the middle of recovering from a stroke that I stand while working in May of last year(I'm still left side, paralyzed, which isn't fun).

And I'm still getting over the death of a pet, who I was very close to, earlier this year.

So sorry that you've been having a hell of year. Getting laid off always feels like a gut punch even in the best of times.

I hope you can take some time to rest and recuperate, and wait out this corporate purging that's plaguing us right now.

Izanagi89

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017

I'm not sure what I can say, but I'll share with information I can.

God, I'm so sorry you're going through all that and then still this on top of that. Strength and all the best 🙏