• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
It wouldn't be Bungie and Sony agreed that these layoffs wouldn't impact it.

I think what Paul is saying is that Bungie decided who to lay off not Sony. Sony would obviously know the layoffs are happening because they own Bungie.

Can't someone at Sony undo this? I know they like to cut people but come on, this clearly will do more harm than any "good", especially to their GaaS plans and Destiny itself.

I mean, in the corporate world, I can imagine the owner (Sony) requiring one of their subsidiaries (Bungie) to cut costs by x%, and that it's up to the subsidiary to find a way to do that.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
So they have lots of job opportunities with way lower compensation and a potential pool of people who are "lucky"to even have a job.

People in the industry are getting played in the great reshuffle.

Pretty much. The gaming industry has such an astronomically high rate of burnout, and the number of non-C-suite people who make it more than five years in a development or creative role is staggeringly low. The industry just chews people up and then spits them out the moment they should be able to progress to a higher salary tier. And there's NOWHERE for those people to go, because publishers will always push hiring unproven talent they can pay less over bringing in established talent that would cost more but produce higher quality work.

ElFly

Oct 27, 2017
Very hard to prove in court with what you mentioned. It'll also depend on who was let go i.e., employees who had unvested stock vs new employees who wouldn't receive any given they were acquired, and the remaining balance of vested vs unvested. Since we know from SIE's earnings that 2/3rds of the total retention value was to be paid out within the first 2 years post closure (July 2022), with the remaining 1/3rd likely trickling out over years 3 & 4 if on a standard 4-year vesting cycle.

Edit: Also don't know where unvested stock goes to. Usually it's back to the company, but since they were fully acquired, I have no idea where it ends up accounting wise.

it's impossible to know from outside, but considering that Bungie has freed itself from bigger companies _twice_ I assume they structured the acquisition so that Bungie is still a company with shares and stuff, just that Sony owns a bunch of it, and didn't just get absorbed into Sony and became just another label inside a big company

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
it's impossible to know from outside, but considering that Bungie has freed itself from bigger companies _twice_ I assume they structured the acquisition so that Bungie is still a company with shares and stuff, just that Sony owns a bunch of it, and didn't just get absorbed into Sony and became just another label inside a big company

Important to keep in mind that Bungie was never owned by Activision the way they were owned by Microsoft or now Sony. They just had a publishing deal with them.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
Very hard to prove in court with what you mentioned. It'll also depend on who was let go i.e., employees who had unvested stock vs new employees who wouldn't receive any given they were acquired, and the remaining balance of vested vs unvested. Since we know from SIE's earnings that 2/3rds of the total retention value was to be paid out within the first 2 years post closure (July 2022), with the remaining 1/3rd likely trickling out over years 3 & 4 if on a standard 4-year vesting cycle.

Edit: Also don't know where unvested stock goes to. Usually it's back to the company, but since they were fully acquired, I have no idea where it ends up accounting wise.

Usually it goes back in the "pool" for it to be offered to the next sucker hired who thinks they'll make it the 4 years.

Everyday Math

Oct 25, 2017

The additional point makes it sound like he's just speculating.

Yeah we were talking about the healthcare issue last night in the DestinyEra discord. So fucked up. God I hate US healthcare.

Is this confirmed to be true?
How would you even confirm it? Bungie isn't gonna make a statement. Paul is close with a lot of Bungie folks. So I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt.

Det

Jul 30, 2020
Usually it goes back in the "pool" for it to be offered to the next sucker hired who thinks they'll make it the 4 years.

I know that's the case for independent companies, private or public, but Bungie is a wholly owned subsidiary of SIE now. There wouldn't be much strategic value of the remaining unvested shares for future new hires I'd think? Especially with the post-purchase share pricing having a set value.

Marossi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You are using you assumptions as facts. Please... If you are going to accuse a company of crunching you need to at least have a source that says that.
Read the article that points out how the japanese industry is insular and a black box in regards to these thanks to the ingrained crunch culture, and we do know for a fact that not only Nintendo but several japanese studios consistently crunchs or have crunched in the past.

namerson23

Nov 6, 2017
It really goes to show that despite how progressive Bungie may seem on the outside, they're still a company, and like every other company will still treat its employees terribly.

Praedyth

Feb 25, 2020
Brazil
I mean, in the corporate world, I can imagine the owner (Sony) requiring one of their subsidiaries (Bungie) to cut costs by x%, and that it's up to the subsidiary to find a way to do that.
They could cut 100% of the cost by imploding the company, because that sure it what this feels like. This is all too sad and revolting.

Oct 25, 2017
Found out about this from a friend yesterday, luckily he is still there.
Layoffs are too often in the industry, that was the biggest reason I left a few years ago...but I came back to a small indie studio. I don't know why though.

Minthara

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
Found out about this from a friend yesterday, luckily he is still there.
Layoffs are too often in the industry, that was the biggest reason I left a few years ago...but I came back to a small indie studio. I don't know why though.
I did the same - left the industry but came back to a smaller independent start up, got let go within 5 months due to downsizing, then got a contract job in the industry, only for the boss to be abusive, then got another job in the industry only for the boss to change my job title at the last second and ask me to do shit out of scope.

Abuse is rampant because there's always someone willing to come after you and hope it isn't them.

Everyday Math

Oct 25, 2017

Marossi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I did the same - left the industry but came back to a smaller independent start up, got let go within 5 months due to downsizing, then got a contract job in the industry, only for the boss to be abusive, then got another job in the industry only for the boss to change my job title at the last second and ask me to do shit out of scope.

Abuse is rampant because there's always someone willing to come after you and hope it isn't them.
It really sucks. I thankfully work in a healthy brazilian indie studio but I also worked for a shitty studio before. As long as there are more professionals on the market than opportunities available, employers will see workers as dispensable. So sorry you had to go through this.

Oct 27, 2017
Was digging through reviews of Bungie on Glassdoor and Comparably last night (there's some real doozies in there regarding culture and Parsons himself that were written well before yesterday).

One review mentioned that the Sony shares vested yearly over a 4 year period and total vestment was based on seniority. Bungie seemingly just clawed back a shitload of compensation from deserving employees.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
There's were due to redundancies and or restructuring 343 which is why theyre still heavily hiring. Not really in the same breath of them doing this leaving them with one day of benefits.

The whole industry is basically in a massive layoff spree. This is a terrible year for developers. So many people are losing their jobs, and their companies always have some pissant bullshit excuse for why it's "justified". And then once those "reduncancies" are dealt with, they hire lower-cost employees they can bully for a few years before they lay them off too.

sedael

Oct 16, 2020
Not defending it at all but it would be *more* surprising if the RSUs didnt get reverted to Bungie following layoffs. thats how it works across basically all of tech, your RSUs vest if and only if you are still employed on date X (where usually X is once a year or quarter for 4ish years). often RSUs will continue vesting during the severance period, but thats about it

Lifendz

Oct 27, 2017
You see some grimey stuff in this industry, but this is right up there. Imagine thinking your interest in whatever retention program was set up for employees to partake in post merger only to get fired/laid off before you meet the terms. Hoping there's something that'll be done for those that suddenly lost their jobs.

WetWaffle

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if Sony regrets giving Bungie full autonomy as they watch many of the key employees they presumably wanted swindled and let go without being able to stop it.

Scarecrowe

Apr 9, 2020
The whole industry is basically in a massive layoff spree. This is a terrible year for developers. So many people are losing their jobs, and their companies always have some pissant bullshit excuse for why it's "justified". And then once those "reduncancies" are dealt with, they hire lower-cost employees they can bully for a few years before they lay them off too.
That's not how it works buddy. They're not hiring in the positions they let go lmao

Lay offs happened in every industry this isnt a new thing. Yes it sucks but considering the context of this situation. Its a lot worse. Especially considering they just promised last year that these changes wouldn't be happening

Everyday Math

Oct 25, 2017
More. Classic lay-off garbage tactics.

View: https://x.com/paultassi/status/1719421275494359273?s=61&t=ibsS0wDgi_2qddo-rUQe1g
image0.jpg

ZeroDotFlow

Oct 27, 2017
Not defending it at all but it would be *more* surprising if the RSUs didnt get reverted to Bungie following layoffs. thats how it works across basically all of tech, your RSUs vest if and only if you are still employed on date X (where usually X is once a year or quarter for 4ish years). often RSUs will continue vesting during the severance period, but thats about it
This is actually less common than you think. Most employers will accelerate RSUs if you end up laid off or made redundant due to separate business concerns and not issues with performance or behavior. RSUs are more used as a way of making people stay for the duration of the vestment period, since if the employee leaves they won't accelerate RSUs. Situations like what Bungie did burns a lot of bridges at minimum, and at worst opens them up to a lawsuit.

TheLetdown

Oct 25, 2017
Fucking hell. I was about to drop some money on the Eververse, which I only do on rare occasions. This is my number 1 player game by far, so I figured a couple skins wouldn't kill me.

But after this… yeah, this might cancelling the preorder level of bullshittery.

Asriel

Dec 7, 2017
This is actually less common than you think. Most employers will accelerate RSUs if you end up laid off or made redundant due to separate business concerns and not issues with performance or behavior. RSUs are more used as a way of making people stay for the duration of the vestment period, since if the employee leaves they won't accelerate RSUs. That's because situations like what Bungie did burns a lot of bridges at minimum, and at worst opens them up to a lawsuit.

Accelerating the vesting of RSUs for layoffs is definitely not the norm.

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017

Yea it's kind of crazy. I hear some people LOVING capitalism because of the idea that if you don't want to do a certain work then someone else will, and it should technically balance itself out. Totally bananas and I can only assume these people have never been on the bad end of the stick.

I'm absolutely terrified of leaving my company currently even though I'm very "under-paid" (im in tech so.. you know) when compared to my peers. The idea of job hunting in this climate where so many people are desperate and employers are literal ghouls... Uff.
About to have a child and can't risk it.

Best of luck to all those affected and I hope they land somewhere nice.

DaToonie

Oct 26, 2017

Minthara

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
Yea it's kind of crazy. I hear some people LOVING capitalism because of the idea that if you don't want to do a certain work then someone else will, and it should technically balance itself out. Totally bananas and I can only assume these people have never been on the bad end of the stick.

I'm absolutely terrified of leaving my company currently even though I'm very "under-paid" (im in tech so.. you know) when compared to my peers. The idea of job hunting in this climate where so many people are desperate and employers are literal ghouls... Uff.
About to have a child and can't risk it.

Best of luck to all those affected and I hope they land somewhere nice.

I have two and am looking for work pretty much full time. This industry sucks for those that want to work in it.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Curious what % of the workforce is being let go...We'll probably never know.