• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Nah they straight up stole a whole ass expansion pack from me. Bandaid on a broken bone right here. I don't think I'll ever give bungie my hard earned money again.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
The final shape is probably a really good time to return, All your characters will be able to jump in and play either the new campaign or any ones you missed prior and buy without having to worry about being "power ready" for them and then if you want to you'll be ready to raid pretty much immediately after.

+ with these changes any existing loadouts you have will be "play ready" even if they will be quickly replaced with whatever new hotness drops as you play

As someone who hasn't really played since, um, sunsetting Forsaken I think (because it was free for a month lol) but buying a bunch of the other campaigns because I'm stupid, is the general advice then to wait until Final Shape is out to do all those campaigns to avoid grinding, or is this not really an issue unless I want to do a bunch of other content (which frankly I wouldn't even know where to begin and don't really want to group up anyways so it'd be randoms only).

Stibbs

Feb 8, 2023
The 518
I just want a reissued Leviathan weapon set.

Give me a Ghost Primus with Rewind and the Haunted origin perk and that shit never comes off

OP
OP
Stalker

Stalker

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who hasn't really played since, um, sunsetting Forsaken I think (because it was free for a month lol) but buying a bunch of the other campaigns because I'm stupid, is the general advice then to wait until Final Shape is out to do all those campaigns to avoid grinding, or is this not really an issue unless I want to do a bunch of other content (which frankly I wouldn't even know where to begin and don't really want to group up anyways so it'd be randoms only).

What do you currently own?

OP
OP
Stalker

Stalker

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Beyond Light, Shadowkeep and The Witch Queen (and I guess Forsaken technically, picked up the Pack at some point probably as part of the Legacy Collection).

You could start TODAY and get ready for the launch of final shape, Though if you want to play and unlock the latest subclass strand you'd have to buy Lightfall which should be pretty cheap now

View: https://i.imgur.com/PTX3LOI.jpeg

You can go here on the map and grab a set of 1810 gear on each character which will put you at the current power level cap

Then run through

Shadowkeep > Beyond Light > Witch Queen and then you can either play Lightfall or wait for The Final Shape. If you want to be extra ready the current season has a quest line that you can run through and wait for the final week quest update before TFS launches which will set up the story.

Additionally there's something called "Into the Light" happening currently which has a bunch of top tier guns you can get a quick and gaurenteed good version of by completing some very simple "kill enemies" bounties

Kemal86

Oct 25, 2017
they just need to make transmog free and the 2020 apology tour will be complete

(Seriously, of allllllll the dumb things bungie has done over the years, this is the one that gets the most 'are you fucking serious' reactions when i explain it to other people. like, imagine any other game locking the ability to transmog owned gear in the cash shop with a finite number of free unlocks every 3-4 months. if you take any time off from the game at all, it becomes functionally impossible to ever catch up without spending)

Rubblatus

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'd be pretty pissed if I deleted a Recluse
Damn butt sending.

They already stated and shown they're down to re-issue a ton of stuff with modern perk pools and foundry bonuses. Don't know how far they'll get in re-issuing all the genuinely popular stuff, but it's easy content to fill out an Episode with.

Last edited:

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
wow, removing power level is pretty crazy

They are not removing power levels, players can still grind for +1 powerful gear to get them above the cap. But now in majority of the coop content, the power level of entire fireteam will be normalized just below the strength of the most powerful player.

So, regular players will still have something to spend time on, and casual players will now be able to easily join any coop activity.

GulfCoastZilla

Shinra Employee
Sep 13, 2022
this is great news but my friends won't come back.

Once they took perks off armor and replaced it with their armor mod system, huge swaths of my friends were like "nope, this is too much", back to the COD grinder.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
So... What will determine the enemies/loot level now?

It's going to be Fireteam Power level for enemy difficulty and your own power for loot drops.

From yesterday's TWID:

The player with the highest Power level in the fireteam will become the Power Leader, and all other players in the fireteam will be brought up to five Power below the Power Leader (if their Power isn't already higher). Fireteam Power only affects activity difficulty, and your unadjusted Power level will still determine the Power of your rewards.

Activities will be divided into two categories: Power Disabled and Power Enabled.

Power Disabled activities play the same for everyone, no matter their Power level. Anyone at any level can jump right in and experience them to the fullest. As such, increasing your Power won't change the difficulty you experience, and you can't over-level the enemies in these activities. Power Disabled activities include campaigns (both Normal and Legendary difficulties), Seasonal story missions, free-roam destinations, Crucible, and some legacy content.

Power Enabled activities, by comparison, are where you grow stronger by improving your Power. These each have an Activity Power Cap, or a Power level at which you will have achieved maximum effectiveness. We've improved our UI to show you exactly what these Activity Power Caps are and if you've achieved them. Enemies will have a set feel for how tough they are even at the cap, but you will notice yourself getting stronger as your Power level grows. Power Enabled activities include Vanguard playlists, Nightfalls, Seasonal activities, Exotic Mission Rotators, Trials of Osiris, raids, and dungeons.

Reward Power

Finally, we're making some improvements to the Power of rewards.

For some time now, select activities (such as ritual playlists) have had a chance of dropping a Powerful reward with +1 Power for players between the Soft Cap and the Powerful Cap. In The Final Shape, we're extending this beyond those select activities to just about every reward source in Destiny 2! This change will help players gradually reach the Powerful Cap no matter what activities they choose to play, so you aren't limited to just the weekly available Powerful rewards.

Additionally, we are improving the Power of rewards you purchase from vendors and Collections. All items purchased from vendors will now drop no lower than 3 below your highest possible Power, and items reacquired from Collections will be 5 below (instead of all the way down at the Power Floor).

There's also a table in the article listing all the activities (Vanguard Ops, Nightfalls, etc) and their Power Level.

cooldawn

Oct 28, 2017
Firefly + Kinect Tremors (is a pretty rare combo though 2 of the Brave weapons can get it I think) might be a combo you'll like if you like DF+FF. You basically turn any major into an big multiple explosion bomb.
I'll look out for that combo.

Is it possible to craft Dragonfly/Firefly at the Enclave?

They brought back Hammerhead with Into The Light, it has an origin trait now:

Indomitability-
Weapon Kills grant ability energy based on your subclass' elemental alignment:
• Light Subclass: 5% Grenade Ability Energy
• Dark Subclass: 5% Melee Ability Energy
Not seen it yet but it's another look-out for me. Still rocking my 1600 level Void Hammerhead.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I'll look out for that combo.

Is it possible to craft Dragonfly/Firefly at the Enclave?

Not seen it yet but it's another look-out for me. Still rocking my 1600 level Void Hammerhead.

Firefly is craftable on the King's Fall raid weapons. Dragonfly is craftable on a bigger pool of weapons, including one of the King's Fall weapons, the void scout rifle Doom of Chelchis. Firefly and Dragonfly roll in different columns so you have can both if you really wanted to.

Another amazing Dragonfly weapon is Tyranny of Heaven, a solar lightweight bow from Last Wish raid. I crafted mine with Dragonfly/Incandescent and it's basically Best Value Sunshot (but a bow).

As for new Hammerhead, did you do the attunement quest for it? I heard someone say that the new weapons won't drop until you do so. But I always do the attunement quests before jumping into Onslaught anyways so I don't know if it's really true or not.

Dec 17, 2022
My friend wants to play Destiny 2 again, and the last expansion they have is Witch Queen. Will they need to get Lightfall and Beyond Light before getting Final Shape, to play those older missions?

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
My friend wants to play Destiny 2 again, and the last expansion they have is Witch Queen. Will they need to get Lightfall and Beyond Light before getting Final Shape, to play those older missions?
Will need Lightfall for Strand and Beyond Light for Stasis, I don't think they've said how the "new" subclass Prismatic (it is a mix of all the other subclasses) will play with people who don't actually have Strand or Stasis (or the 3rd Light powers from Forsaken), but I wouldn't be surprised if they required owning Lightfall and Beyond Light (and the Forsaken pack) to use them. So probably worth having as unlocking them requires finishing those expansions, but maybe wait for a sale on them as they go pretty cheap nowadays.
Also if on PS Witch Queen is on PS+ Extra at the moment amd Beyond Light was on normal PS+ not too long ago (leading up to Lightfall).

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Thank go I kept all my old sunset godrolls. Would be super pissed if I hadn't lol.

That's enough to get me to try again.

Disker

Sep 17, 2020
Its a good step in the right direction. But the grind in the game is still terrible.
And why not remove the levels all together and just make it difficulty based, there is no reason to keep it up for the endgame....
So you still need to grind.....

Or let a friend grind and join him a albeit weaker...

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Its a good step in the right direction. But the grind in the game is still terrible.
And why not remove the levels all together and just make it difficulty based, there is no reason to keep it up for the endgame....
So you still need to grind.....

Or let a friend grind and join him a albeit weaker...
They are doing that latter. You get artificially boosted up to whoever the highest Light level player in the fireteam is but -5. Won't change the level of the gear that drops for you, so you can't just jump up to whatever the max gear level will be, but you won't just get 1 shot by everything.

Also for the most part power level only really matters in the highest difficulty stuff that usually locks you at a lower light level anyway (I wouldn't be surprised if that is just something that is hard coded in at this point and actually removing it is not so easily done), so it's kinda whatever for most of the stuff in the game (they haven't even been increasing it with the seasons this year) and only becomes a factor when you start going up the difficulty modes.

Dec 17, 2022
Will need Lightfall for Strand and Beyond Light for Stasis, I don't think they've said how the "new" subclass Prismatic (it is a mix of all the other subclasses) will play with people who don't actually have Strand or Stasis (or the 3rd Light powers from Forsaken), but I wouldn't be surprised if they required owning Lightfall and Beyond Light (and the Forsaken pack) to use them. So probably worth having as unlocking them requires finishing those expansions, but maybe wait for a sale on them as they go pretty cheap nowadays.
Also if on PS Witch Queen is on PS+ Extra at the moment amd Beyond Light was on normal PS+ not too long ago (leading up to Lightfall).

To play older missions? Yes. To play Final Shape? No.

Thanks guys! She has Beyond Light, but not Lightfall. She also wants to play Season of the Witch (on PS5). I feel bad telling her she needs to buy the current season and Lightfall, only to end up purchasing Final Shape in June as well.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks guys! She has Beyond Light, but not Lightfall. She also wants to play Season of the Witch (on PS5). I feel bad telling her she needs to buy the current season and Lightfall, only to end up purchasing Final Shape in June as well.
To play Season of The Witch she will need to buy the deluxe edition of Lightfall if she didn't buy it when it was the new season (it's real stupid I know), you can only buy the current season for Silver for who knows what reason and have to get the Deluxe version of the last expansion to play any of the years seasons you missed.

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
This game really needs to add, at the very least, an inkblot cutscene summarizing each season on their timeline page. People should be able to look at the timeline page and select a season and be shown and explained what they missed, story-wise. Their should also be the first and final mission of each missing campaign (since those are usually the only real missions that matter in the campaigns that are missing lol) with a cutscene in between those missions bridging them.

Thats the bare minimum. An abridged, playable version of the cutscenes, character dialogue, and unique missions for each season is really what should be accessible to all players.

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
Power level was legit what killed my interest in the game. The seasonal grind was too much and pushed me away. Even now, I think I'm too far gone to return. Oh well. Nice change.

yeah, i think i'm in the same boat. i have 1100 hr played but i don't really feel like i need to go back...so hard to catch up, so much i missed

z0oaTe1.png

lots of good memories though, and i'm pretty sure i have recluse/mountaintop stashed away somewhere lol

also, what does this mean?
We understand that many old Power limited items have been dismantled by this point, and we regret that we have no recovery mechanism for these.
i thought you could always get new copies of old weapons by paying some shards? from "collections"

Rubblatus

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
i thought you could always get new copies of old weapons by paying some shards? from "collections"
Exotics and weapons without random perks, sure. I can pull a Leviathan Zenith of your Kind or a Year 1 Retrofuturist out of my Collections no problem. Weapons with random perks, no.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
yeah, i think i'm in the same boat. i have 1100 hr played but i don't really feel like i need to go back...so hard to catch up, so much i missed

z0oaTe1.png

lots of good memories though, and i'm pretty sure i have recluse/mountaintop stashed away somewhere lol

You can only pull stuff with static rolls from collection, which is just year 1 guns, exotics and ritual weapons. Anything with random rolls can't be pulled from Collection.

YourFriend

Nov 15, 2017

z0oaTe1.png

the only thing that should be difficult right now to catch up on is the story, depending on where you left off. This is very much the easiest time to catch up on power and gear grind. They are giving every player max level gear at every player, the into the light onslaught mode is free and drops almost entirely god rolls better than almost every sunset weapon, and fireteam finder makes lfg so much easier. Then once final shape drops, there will be fireteam level so you will always be able to play with your friends.

pants

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
For me personally it's both. The new player experience is a complete mess and now you can't even get a picture of the full Destiny 2 campaign without watching it on YouTube.
This game really needs to add, at the very least, an inkblot cutscene summarizing each season on their timeline page. People should be able to look at the timeline page and select a season and be shown and explained what they missed, story-wise. Their should also be the first and final mission of each missing campaign (since those are usually the only real missions that matter in the campaigns that are missing lol) with a cutscene in between those missions bridging them.

Thats the bare minimum. An abridged, playable version of the cutscenes, character dialogue, and unique missions for each season is really what should be accessible to all players.

I just did the recap for D1 via the main menu, for old times sake, and it felt like a lot despite only covering each major campaign victory and respective raid boss. (I think there was an extra for Trials, if you made it to the Lighthouse.)

Destiny 2 is currently on 23 seasons, 8–10 raids (depending on if you count raid lairs,) 8 dungeons, and untold victories over various enemies each campaign/season.

Even if I gave you a one sentence summary it would still take a long time to write it up.

(I wouldn't mind, either.)

Edit: there is a very vague summary included in the "timeline" feature but you'd be forgiven for not knowing about it or where to find it

Last edited:

ryan13ts

Oct 28, 2017

View: https://twitter.com/DattosDestiny/status/1783563694842183956
A big thing he did was rating and deciding on which items to cull from vaults. He basically made a series that was essentially calling out vault hoarders in Destiny 2 -- and a bunch of content creators had their vaults cleaned.

Of course they had no way of knowing this change was coming, but still, Datto and his videos got people to clear out old gear that will eventually be useful again.

People keep saying there was no way to know this was coming, but we've known for like a year this was happening in some form.

There was that leak early last year for the Season of the Deep content from some Bungie Summit with content influencers, that also included a PowerPoint presentation where Bungie flat out said they were removing Power Levels on sunset gear. It was 100% confirmed to be real when the exact weapons (from the pictures) ended up in game.

The implication was it was going to happen in Deep, but even though it didn't happen then, it was clear it was coming eventually. It's exactly why I didn't delete ANYTHING sunset after seeing it.

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I just did the recap for D1 via the main menu, for old times sake, and it felt like a lot despite only covering each major campaign victory and respective raid boss. (I think there was an extra for Trials, if you made it to the Lighthouse.)

Destiny 2 is currently on 23 seasons, 8–10 raids (depending on if you count raid lairs,) 8 dungeons, and untold victories over various enemies each campaign/season.

Even if I gave you a one sentence summary it would still take a long time to write it up.

(I wouldn't mind, either.)

Edit: there is a very vague summary included in the "timeline" feature but you'd be forgiven for not knowing about it or where to find it

One of my friends loves Destiny lore, and the other is interested but wants to see it play out in game. A lot of the lore finally plays out in game but since they only check out the game when theres a new dlc, they can't access most of that lore and miss out on it playing out in-game. It is a lot, and its kind of frustrating that bungie does it all such a dissatisfaction after the fact. You don't really see their pride in their own story telling when they constantly and consistently erase it.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
People keep saying there was no way to know this was coming, but we've known for like a year this was happening in some form.

There was that leak early last year for the Season of the Deep content from some Bungie Summit with content influencers, that also included a PowerPoint presentation where Bungie flat out said they were removing Power Levels on sunset gear. It was 100% confirmed to be real when the exact weapons (from the pictures) ended up in game.

The implication was it was going to happen in Deep, but even though it didn't happen then, it was clear it was coming eventually. It's exactly why I didn't delete ANYTHING sunset after seeing it.
He's been doing Vault Cleaning stuff for far more than a year (since at least 2021). The sunset weapons were his first sacrifices.

cooldawn

Oct 28, 2017
Firefly is craftable on the King's Fall raid weapons. Dragonfly is craftable on a bigger pool of weapons, including one of the King's Fall weapons, the void scout rifle Doom of Chelchis. Firefly and Dragonfly roll in different columns so you have can both if you really wanted to.

Another amazing Dragonfly weapon is Tyranny of Heaven, a solar lightweight bow from Last Wish raid. I crafted mine with Dragonfly/Incandescent and it's basically Best Value Sunshot (but a bow).

As for new Hammerhead, did you do the attunement quest for it? I heard someone say that the new weapons won't drop until you do so. But I always do the attunement quests before jumping into Onslaught anyways so I don't know if it's really true or not.
I haven't done Kings Fall and I don't like Bows but I see I still have Bring Down The Hammer quest. I'll get right on that and see what happens.

Sorry, I'm a complete newb to all this new stuff!

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I haven't done Kings Fall and I don't like Bows but I see I still have Bring Down The Hammer quest. I'll get right on that and see what happens.

Sorry, I'm a complete newb to all this new stuff!
If you want something that you probably have, try the exotic handcanon Sunshot, it is pretty amazing at the moment, especially with the solar seasonal artifact mods.

ph1l0z0ph3r

Oct 27, 2017
Why are people crying about grinding light so much? Isn't that the whole purpose of the game? Is there anything behind high light level that you couldn't do an easier version of? Legit came back after being gone since Season 1 and its a blast and felt like I haven't missed a step. People complaining about not knowing how to do certain things is also super weird considering I find the Destiny community to be one of the most helpful ones. Came back about two weeks ago and managed to find a Sherpa for almost every raid I've missed and I'm learning them to hopefully do the same in the future. Went to Youtube and caught up on anything I missed or had a friend fill me in storywise and I'm digging the changes. My biggest beefs so far are why the fuck do I need mats to transmog should be free game once you collected the item once. Second complaint would have to be I can't get a skimmer without having to pay $25 lmao.

I also don't understand why Bungie can't split Destiny 2 similar to how COD is split into Campaign/MP. Give players the ability to have all planets be accessible at all times along with the rest of D2 and make the campaign storylines separate downloads players can grab. It would give players the option on dictating how big their download is while also allowing everyone to have any campaign they want. Also wouldn't mind if they added the ability to see what you missed storywise somehow for returning players. Feel like the game could benefit from a last season on Destiny type scenario lol like tv shows.

Any new/returning players want to jump back in hit me up. I just went through the process and wouldn't mind helping others out. You can reach current light level really easy and Onslaught will give you plenty of decent weapons to start your journey.

cooldawn

Oct 28, 2017
If you want something that you probably have, try the exotic handcanon Sunshot, it is pretty amazing at the moment, especially with the solar seasonal artifact mods.
Yep, I got that. I also use the Polaris Lance and Graviton Lance. I also managed to snag a Shadow Price, my favourite Destiny weapon, in Destiny 2 with Dragonfly. It's glorious.

I still get the feeling nearly all of the newer weapons don't feel as powerful, even if they technically are, or as fun to use.

They don't give me the fizz.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Yep, I got that. I also use the Polaris Lance and Graviton Lance. I also managed to snag a Shadow Price, my favourite Destiny weapon, in Destiny 2 with Dragonfly. It's glorious.

I still get the feeling nearly all of the newer weapons don't feel as powerful, even if they technically are, or as fun to use.
A lot of the weapons power is kinda tied to your builds, instead of the actual weapon itself nowadays, which is probably not something you have really messed with yet and wasn't really a thing until a few years ago when they redid lots of the subclasses and added a lot more weapon perks that synergize with the subclasses. They make for much more powerful weapons and just the Guardians in general, but not super beginner friendly.

The difference a decent build makes is just a night and day difference, especially with how Bungie design their encounters nowadays where you just get overwhelmed by lots of adds.

ryan13ts

Oct 28, 2017
He's been doing Vault Cleaning stuff for far more than a year (since at least 2021). The sunset weapons were his first sacrifices.

Oh, I know, I'm just speaking as of after that leak came out. There were people still deleting sunset stuff even after seeing that leak was real.

Of course before that it wasn't feasible for anyone to expect or know that.