• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
My observation is that I'm glad I held off on buying Shadowkeep. After just observing the new content there is nothing I feel like I'm missing out on. Just a bunch of reused assets and content to keep players occupied until Destiny 3 or the next Forsaken/Taken level expansion. I'm fine waiting for either of those.

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
I feel bad for anyone who looks at a number like 67 and thinks they shouldnt buy this game.

This is an excellent expansion. Not quite as good as Forsaken but its clear we're are only in the beginning stages of Bungies evolving expansions.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I feel bad for anyone who looks at a number like 67 and thinks they shouldnt buy this game.

This is an excellent expansion. Not quite as good as Forsaken but its clear we're are only in the beginning stages of Bungies evolving expansions.
It's up to 73 I believe, which is ROI levels.

A lot of reviews were pretty pointless and missed the point, Destiny is NOT a boxed product (hasn't been for a long time) and should not be reviewed as such.

DrScissorsMD

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 19, 2019
Sure but in this expansion its raid gear, no new gear in pvp. And that goes for almost the whole main game in general. You get legendary and prime engrams and nearly all of it is the same junk we were getting a year ago. I think even one more new armor and weapon set mixed in there would have been a big help in not making it feel so rehashed.

As it is theres a single set thats pretty random(and terrible looking), theres the moon quest set, and then the raid set. And thats it afaik. Thats not enough imo.
For PVP there's a new Iron Banner set. Four new sets, not counting the new eververse set, isn't as bad as it's being made out to be and while not a replacement for getting new stuff a big part of the most recent update was making old sets actually viable again so that adds a fair bit of extra variety.

DrScissorsMD

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 19, 2019
I honestly feel there's a certain level of misunderstanding re: the "re-used assets" argument. A large point of the most recent update that came alongside SK was that the majority of older armor sets from planets, raids etc were now actually usable and worth re-acquiring. Is that an excuse for a perceived lack of new content? Absolutely not, but the armor being actually useful now if reacquired was much more a QoL thing than as a replacement for new stuff. They were pretty clear this was gonna be a smaller Xpac and the majority of promotional stuff I saw focused a lot on older sets coming back so while I get that's not everyones cup of tea and might make people not want to get SK, I don't have any sympathy for anyone who purchased SK and then made this complaint after the fact.

tommy7154

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly feel there's a certain level of misunderstanding re: the "re-used assets" argument. A large point of the most recent update that came alongside SK was that the majority of older armor sets from planets, raids etc were now actually usable and worth re-acquiring. Is that an excuse for a perceived lack of new content? Absolutely not, but the armor being actually useful now if reacquired was much more a QoL thing than as a replacement for new stuff. They were pretty clear this was gonna be a smaller Xpac and the majority of promotional stuff I saw focused a lot on older sets coming back so while I get that's not everyones cup of tea and might make people not want to get SK, I don't have any sympathy for anyone who purchased SK and then made this complaint after the fact.
For me personally SK is worth every penny. Erianas Vow alone for me is nearly worth the price of admission. Then with the season pass and the vex weapon farming and the Eris weapons and the grinding to 950...that stuff will give my dumb ass a couple hundred hours of game time, and make it very much worth it to me. And that doesnt include the upcoming stuff. I still wouldnt recommend it to someone else at this point though, because of the negatives Ive talked about.

I think the immediate thing they need to do is fix the armor system. At the very least make the mods all visible in one place so you can see it all and what you still need to get and such. Id easily give it a 7 or 7.5 if they could get that worked out.

May 25, 2019
London

Armor 2.0 is a cool thing, but for me the problems are twofold:

1. The amount of new loot or armor in the game is pretty low, which makes the climb from 750 to 900+ pretty boring. I'm dismantling many of the same blues and purples I've been dismantling for two years now. Having a larger loot pool with more new gear would have been nice.
  2. I expected a short campaign, but the campaign we did get is still pretty bad. There's a handful of missions in the same Moon environments and the bosses are just retreads of past ones. The strike is the lone piece of content that actually feels fresh to me.
I'm glad people are enjoying it but this may be the point where I get off and just wait for D3.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Just not true, at all.
The expansion is £30/$35 ffs. Not even 1 three-course meal in a decent restaurant and you're out here acting like this expansion which can give you ATLEAST 15 hours of stuff to do is bleeding you dry.
Shadowkeep doesn't exist in a vacuum. Given the current quality of expansions available in a similar price range no it is not worth the price. Not even close.

It doesn't even measure up to the previous Destiny expansion which was in a similar price range let alone the plethora of other content that is available out there.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Shadowkeep doesn't exist in a vacuum. Given the current quality of expansions available in a similar price range no it is not worth the price. Not even close.

It doesn't even measure up to the previous Destiny expansion which was in a similar price range let alone the plethora of other content that is available out there.
Speak for yourself.

Deleted member 2172

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Forsaken may be the better expansion(so far), that does not make Shadowkeep a bad expansion or not worth the price tag. You need to stop looking at everything in absolutes.

If anything, Forsaken was such a complete knock-out in value its hard to imagine any Destiny expansion ever comparing, especially in a post-Activison Bungie. However with that said, I got hundreds of hours out of Forsaken, and I will get hundreds out of Shadowkeep.

For £30, that is a small price.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Explain to me how you think Shadowkeep is better than Forsaken despite the fact it has a fraction of the content.

I'm all ears lol
The deeper customization elements, the better endgame, the evolving story and focus on deepening player builds.

The fact that power actually matters and the endgame is actually challenging too.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
The deeper customization elements, the better endgame, the evolving story and focus on deepening player builds.

The fact that power actually matters and the endgame is actually challenging too.
Yeah we are gonna just have to disagree. Shadowkeep not even in the same Galaxy as Forsaken for me. It's been nothing but a disappointment from the moment I started playing it and it has yet to redeem itself since that point.

Deleted member 29249

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Biggest ugh moment for me was seeing the fallen barge on the moon. I was like wow a new space, wonder what kind of secret they can hide in there...

Only to play the campaign and relize it just copy pasted from earth so they can include a mission from D1... You can even still hide upstairs at boss to avoid getting hit just like the cheese from D1...

Always great buying the same content multiply times

Best part of the expansion is the Season Pass activity and its not even really part of it. All of the season passes should be included with the $35 price tag, give the people that bought both a ton of sliver. Might be worth the price then.

Last edited:

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Biggest ugh moment for me was seeing the fallen barge on the moon. I was like wow a new space, wonder what kind of secret they can hide in there...

Only to play the campaign and relize it just copy pasted from earth so they can include a mission from D1... You can even still hide upstairs at boss to avoid getting hit just like the cheese from D1...

Always great buying the same content multiply times

Best part of the expansion is the Season Pass activity and its not even really part of it. All of the season passes should be included with the $35 price tag, give the people that bought both a ton of sliver. Might be worth the price then.
"All of the season passes" You want Bungie to give people the next like year or two years of seasons on a 35$ price tag when each season is 10$?
Uh. Good luck?

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Just not true, at all.
The expansion is £30/$35 ffs. Not even 1 three-course meal in a decent restaurant and you're out here acting like this expansion which can give you ATLEAST 15 hours of stuff to do is bleeding you dry.

15 hours of filler content and stuff you've already done. Paying for the privilege of doing patrols on the moon again is just madness.

I've purchased whole games for $35 that offered exponentially more content than what's offered here, and more compelling content, to boot.

Yeah, "the gunplay is best in class", yadda yadda yadda, it doesn't mean anything when you're still just shooting Fallen.

Are those considered "The Expansion Pack" that you're purchasing, though? That's just them tightening up and maintaining the game, something that should happen in a "live service" anyway.

Deleted member 2172

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
15 hours of filler content and stuff you've already done. Paying for the privilege of doing patrols on the moon again is just madness.

I've purchased whole games for $35 that offered exponentially more content than what's offered here, and more compelling content, to boot.

Yeah, "the gunplay is best in class", yadda yadda yadda, it doesn't mean anything when you're still just shooting Fallen.
Filler content? What are you even talking about. Im sorry you feel like the entire expansion is just the moon slapped into Destiny 2, but it isn't.

Let me put it this way: Forsaken was $40, and even if we removed the campaign from that package that price tag was more than worth it to me with the Last Wish Raid, The Shattered Throne Dungeon and the Exotic weapon quests.

I can confidently say Shadowkeep will be the exact same. These campaigns good or bad are just icing on the cake to me. Forsakens was amazing, Shadowkeeps was less so. In the end its not what I spend my money for, its everything else.

The Raid, dungeon, exotic quests: Experiencing it all with my friends and clanmates. Thats what I am there for and thats where I find the value.

One more thing: I've spent way more than $35 on games that have given me less content and are less compelling(Anthem anyone?). I don't see what point you're trying to make.

Oct 29, 2017
Explain to me how you think Shadowkeep is better than Forsaken despite the fact it has a fraction of the content.

I'm all ears lol

It's not even always about the amount of content, like I don't think anyone is going to argue that Shadowkeep has MORE content than Forsaken. Obviously Forsaken was beefier.

But as far as the flavor of the content, the story involved, and the general state of the game that Shadowkeep has brought Destiny into, I'm very much a huge fan of it. Forsaken was great, don't get me wrong. But I love the moon, and a hive centered expansion, and the direction the story is headed, and all of that.

Shadowkeep is a good expansion, and they're continuing the weekly additional story structure that Forsaken introduced which is great as well. Like I said, I think the game has really never been in a better state.

Strakt

Oct 27, 2017
did the vid doc say they don't mind charging full price for 80% recycled content too?

And people thought activision was the problem...

I mean a majority of people and reviewers are enjoying the game... so it kinda sounds like a personal problem?
We knew what we were getting via the 4-5 videos of shadowkeep and dozens of articles that came out before release

Deleted member 29249

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I mean a majority of people and reviewers are enjoying the game... so it kinda sounds like a personal problem?
We knew what we were getting via the 4-5 videos of shadowkeep that came out before release

Hey it's great if you didn't play destiny 1.

Sorry I missed the video when they said all the campaign missions were lifted straight from D1.

Even I'm still enjoying the game, just sucks they charged $5 less then forsaken for something that I mostly played in D1.

If the rest of D2 expansion are just going to be D1 remasted, maybe they should give us D1 vets some credit for past purchases.

Oct 29, 2017
did the vid doc say they don't mind charging full price for 80% recycled content too?

And people thought activision was the problem...

It's not 80% recycled content, and it's also not full price to begin with. The expansion itself is $35, which I don't see a problem with the price of personally. Hell, I purchased the $60 version so I could get Shadowkeep and then just continue to play all of the additional content that rolls out over the next year. Totally happy with that, too.

Strakt

Oct 27, 2017
Hey it's great if you didn't play destiny 1.

Sorry I missed the video when they said all the campaign missions were lifted straight from D1.

So you bought a $35 expansion for its campaign? Also you're right I didnt play much of D1.. since it wasn't on PC... but there are thousands of people who have and are enjoying the game hence its growing popularity.

Your arguments in this thread have been recycled as much as the content in shadowkeep. Why keep repeating the same thing? We get it... you didn't do your research on shadowkeep, you called the devs lazy, you don't like the recycled content...

Dalik

Nov 1, 2017
Seems kinda asinine to say every patch of shadowbringers/any WoW like MMOs is included in just the price of the expansion when you have to buy at least a 11€ month every patch release to play them.
I've got 6 years of XIV and 10 years of WoW. The month prices add up and I say this as I had no regret paying both of them.
If you just buy an expansion you cant even play it cause you don't get free time if you are not a new player. By your logic it can't even be reviewed cause you literally can't play it.

Deleted member 29249

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
So you bought a $35 expansion for its campaign? Also you're right I didnt play much of D1.. since it wasn't on PC... but there are thousands of people who have and are enjoying the game hence its growing popularity.

Your arguments in this thread have been recycled as much as the content in shadowkeep. Why keep repeating the same thing? We get it... you didn't do your research on shadowkeep, you called the devs lazy, you don't like the recycled content...

Yeah you buy the expansion for the campaign, the season pass is what adds to that. That's how destiny works.

the land mass being reused isn't really my problem, like you said we knew that going in. The fact that they couldn't even come up with original missions is. Playing thru the campaign was like playing a rushed hack job of D1, they didn't even fix the cheese spots in the missions.

So yeah it's great that all the PC folks get to play what Destiny Vets played 5 years ago.

Strakt

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah you buy the expansion for the campaign, the season pass is what adds to that. That's how destiny works.

the land mass being reused isn't really my problem, like you said we knew that going in. The fact that they couldn't even come up with original missions is. Playing thru the campaign was like playing a rushed hack job of D1, they didn't even fix the cheese spots in the missions.

So yeah it's great that all the PC folks get to play what Destiny Vets played 5 years ago.

Thats not how destiny works lol. I don't know anyone who buys the expansion SOLELY for the campaign. If you do, then i mean... yea it sucks you spent $35 on a lackluster campaign lol. Most people buy the expansion for the new activities/gear. In this case, the new raid, the moon, the new dungeon, the moon gear, moon weapons, exotics, campaign, etc. The season also comes free with shadowkeep and adds additional things to do. While the expansion is lacking and not as good as forsaken, its still a good value for players who love grinding.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Seems kinda asinine to say every patch of shadowbringers/any WoW like MMOs is included in just the price of the expansion when you have to buy at least a 11€ month every patch release to play them.
I've got 6 years of XIV and 10 years of WoW. The month prices add up and I say this as I had no regret paying both of them.
If you just buy an expansion you cant even play it cause you don't get free time if you are not a new player. By your logic it can't even be reviewed cause you literally can't play it.
Welllllll the $10 per season is for the bottom tree of the battlepass for each season.
The stories, strikes, maps etc will be availble for free per season f you own shadowkeep.

If the fast track / bottom portion of the battlepass does not interest you, don't buy it, it won't impact the story going forward.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I would like to point out btw that "The Moon" isn't Shadowkeep content.
EVERYONE gets the Moon as a patrol zone. Even F2P players. Same as Tangled Shore and Dreaming City, don't need Forsaken for that.
So that entire patrol zone? Not part of Shadowkeep. Same as any item or season event with the Vex symbol = not part of Shadowkeep.
All of the sandbox hanges and armor 2.0? Not Shadowkeep, everyone gets that.
Shadowkeep's actual content you NEED Shadowkeep for is basically the story missions, the raid, dungeon and the nightmare hunts.
Then you get the items marked with the Shadowkeep icon and some of the smaller extra stuff like say the Eris nightmare storyline.
That's Shadowkeep. That is 25$ of the 35$ you pay for it.
The other 10$ are the Season of Undying which you can seperately buy for 1000 silver without owning Shadowkeep.

Last edited:

Deleted member 29249

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Shit free people can play on the moon... So $25 for recycled story mission (that get recycled again for the nightmare hunts). Sweet deal

Bonus if you are a warlock you get a worse crown of tempest exotic (in case you haven't fount that year one exotic in the past 3 years).

Last edited:

Thardin

Jan 7, 2018
Welllllll the $10 per season is for the bottom tree of the battlepass for each season.
The stories, strikes, maps etc will be availble for free per season f you own shadowkeep.

If the fast track / bottom portion of the battlepass does not interest you, don't buy it, it won't impact the story going forward.

That's not 100% true.

If you don't have the paid season you miss out on the new Vex Offensive activity, the Vex Offensive weapons, the season ornaments, the new heavy exotic bow, and a handful of other cosmetic things.

Shit free people can play on the moon... So $25 for recycled story mission (that get recycled again for the nightmare hunts). Sweet deal

It's like you are being willfully ignorant with your argument. If they didn't charge people for the expansion then there wouldn't be a moon for the F2P players to visit, so that argument is 100% bullshit. Pretty significant changes to the nightfall structure and PvP modes, that wouldn't be available to the free players if Bungie didn't have a paid DLC to generate revenue. Just because it is available in the F2P version doesn't mean it didn't cost Bungie to make those changes.

There is also a new raid which is damn good and an interesting exotic quest tied to it. New dungeon coming up soon.

Dynheart

Self-requested ban
Oct 31, 2017
I'm enjoying the content, and the systems employed along with the content. Is it better than Forsaken? I dunno, Forsaken had its fair share of annoyances that made me not want to play it as much after a couple of weeks (massive/useless chore list for example). I honestly think that this is a Destiny 2 problem, not an expansion problem.

So for me, both had their ups and downs. For the record. I disliked the Dreaming City (didn't help that we had to visit there weekly for a damned year), so its existence VS the Moon does it no favors. Of course, as always, I need to state that this is my opinion.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
That's not 100% true.

If you don't have the paid season you miss out on the new Vex Offensive activity, the Vex Offensive weapons, the season ornaments, the new heavy exotic bow, and a handful of other cosmetic things.

It's like you are being willfully ignorant with your argument. If they didn't charge people for the expansion then there wouldn't be a moon for the F2P players to visit, so that argument is 100% bullshit. Pretty significant changes to the nightfall structure and PvP modes, that wouldn't be available to the free players if Bungie didn't have a paid DLC to generate revenue. Just because it is available in the F2P version doesn't mean it didn't cost Bungie to make those changes.

There is also a new raid which is damn good and an interesting exotic quest tied to it. New dungeon coming up soon.
Ahh confused it with the vex invasion on the moon

Still good value

Deleted member 29249

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
That's not 100% true.

So I paid $25 so other people can play the moon and get all the qol updates. As a bonus I get story mission I played in D1 (but this time the boss is red).

Thought I learned my lesson last year, don't buy the season pass. This year it's like don't buy the expansion and just get the pass if you played D1 and seen the movie contact...