Rice Eater

Oct 26, 2017
I think with some many devices and smart TVs out there this is even less of an issue than it was back in 2013.

nice to have though

The landscape was so different back then. I don't think most people even owned a streaming media box when the PS4 came out.

Hell, I bought my first streaming box in 2014(I'm not going to count the Chromecast), which was the Fire TV. And I did that because I tried using the PS4 as my streaming box but hated having to use the DS4 as a media remote and Sony didn't have an official remote at the time.

SirDante

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 20, 2020
Should I be worried they aren't talking about PC to console streaming with DLNA? Or is iy a given we will have this functionality at launch? PS4 did not.

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
I know the likelihood of this isn't high, but hopefully the 4 media app buttons can be re-mapped to other apps.

dedge

Sep 15, 2019
I'm surprised to see Apple TV on there; I didn't even know Apple was allowing their TV subscription service on non-Apple devices. But why is there still no Apple Music? I don't use Spotify so I basically can't stream music to PlayStation.

Mostly I don't care about these streaming video services, and want to know if DVD/Blu-Ray playback is back to PS3 quality levels, or if it is still the garbage fire that is the PS4.
Is PS3 really better for blu ray? Should I be using that instead of my PS4 (at least until my Series X arrives)?

Oct 25, 2017
So can I use the picture-in-picture to watch twitch streams or binge Netflix while I mindlessly play Assassin's Creed? That would be a real generational leap for me.

Update on Day One Apps

Damien1990

May 23, 2020
While it's to be expected that since they are moving away from media apps into integration that there will only be a limited selection of apps come launch, it really is disappointing that the PS5 is blank slating their media apps. HBO Max, Prime and Criterion not being there day one is disappointing but I hope come quickly. What would be more disappointing is if the same is to again occur on the PS6 if they decide to move away from the UI baked in integration and we will again have to start all over again

Prime is there day one. From the article samred posted:

Further Update (4:15 pm ET): Sony has responded to Ars' comment request to clarify that "All apps we announced on our blog today are available when PS5 launches, including Amazon Prime Video, MyCanal, Hulu, Peacock, and more."

cmdrshepard

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Well that's one of them which is good :)

just disappointed that we seem to be blank slating the web store and now the media apps and that key apps or functionality is lost until they bring it up to speed. In the long run it will be worth it but just like when Xbox did it last gen, it sucks to loose some key functionality that the previous generation had at the start of a new gen.

Aswitch

"This guy are sick"
Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Would be great if we got some IR clarity. I guess considering PS4 didn't have it, I'm not holding my breath.

Last edited:

pargonta

Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
consoles usually have better native apps for streaming with more updates and better functionality, and my tv doesn't even have native apps cause Vizio likes to cast from your phone. I always use my ps4pro for Netflix, and now need to keep it hooked up for HBOmax

Still this is a pretty great spread to see at launch

Zulith

Oct 25, 2017
West Coast, USA
I'm very happy with the launch lineup, and continue to hope that the app selection will be more varied and robust than what we had on PS4. Apple alone is a huge boost, since I have a lot of iTunes purchases that are now a lot easier to access (not everything ports to Movies Anywhere, plus TV episodes/seasons, etc.)

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
Anyone think we will be able to do picture in picture with these apps and gaming? Or side by side split screen.

Sony was great with that with their PSVue service... so hopefully they take that into consideration, since they don't have Vue anymore.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Are we really griping about certain apps not being there day one? Jeez man, we really must be close to launch because people are crying about dumb stuff now.

I cant speak for anybody but me but I don't mind if they are late, I just want them to work. Crunchyroll and hbo inparticular are ass on ps4.

They better put in the time to make their shit work.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
If you're making a press release for available apps, it's probably best to list them all instead of saying "...and more"
Seriously, would've avoided lots of questions in this thread, included mine because I found the wording for the other apps a bit weird. It's good to have confirmation though.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Cool, let's hope they finally fixed Netflix for consoles (both) running on an 4K HDR TV. It's unusable for a long time.

Newman96

Oct 27, 2017
Apple TV is a great one, I got the years free trial but have barely touched it because I don't have an app for it on my PS4 or firestick

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Funny enough I came here to say that we finally got the Crave app on PS4. Noticed it beside YouTube a few minutes ago. Hopefully it doesn't take five fucking years for the PS5 app to arrive.
the hell, I didn't even know!

So I'm in the app now, I activated my device through my browser, and it's asking for my master account PIN (as I have multiple accounts). I enter it, but nothing happens. How do I get it to work?

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Without Crave it wont be my hub. Crave is the only way I get HBO and Drag Race.

Wein Cruz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Are we really griping about certain apps not being there day one? Jeez man, we really must be close to launch because people are crying about dumb stuff now.

Why is it dumb? Because it's not important to you? I just want one go-to device for streaming instead of having to keep other things plugged in.

Unsurprisingly this is another area where MS handles it better as pointed out in the article.

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
Why is dumb? Because it's not important to you? I just want one go-to device for streaming instead of having to keep other things plugged in.

Unsurprisingly this is another area where MS handles it better as pointed out in the article.

Honestly MS ruined it for me already because I was one of the dozens of people who actually used OneGuide to watch all of their cable through the Xbox.

The Xbox was great as a cable box replacement for me because it worked better and it was a one stop shop for all kinds of media apps + played some games. It lost a huge part of that functionality for me and is like one of the reasons I'm honestly not getting one at launch.

digreyfox

Nov 7, 2017
Boom, Apple TV, nice. Was considering getting an Apple TV 4k for Apple's service plus the odd arcade game but the sound performance and now this just made me save money.

I know the likelihood of this isn't high, but hopefully the 4 media app buttons can be re-mapped to other apps.

I don't have any facts to support this, but would guess those companies pay to have their app featured in a button, so I doubt they can be changed.

wowami

Jun 1, 2018
Will the prime app allow 4k and hdr tho? Doesn't do it on ps4 Pro. Been.watching prime another way for years due to that

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
QofQs7M.gif

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
LOL I only got a media remote because it was the only PS5 bundle I could find but that actually looks pretty useful lmao. Was gonna ebay it but I might not now.

ReverseFate

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully the two things they add is HDR support for YouTube and not always forcing HDR on Netflix, regardless if the content supports it.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hah, I just canceled my media remote preorder today. Ah well, I have no issue using the controller, and my TV has everything except ATV+.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
I'm a little confused as to why Sony isn't making thier entire app suite backwards compatible.

This list is serviceable, but also pretty disappointing if you use anything beyond the most popular staples. I mainly use Xbox for apps, but no Crave or Prime would be a bummer if I planned to use them near launch.

Also, I really want to know if Apps can be used with picture-in-picture. I loved that feature on Xbox.

Should I be worried they aren't talking about PC to console streaming with DLNA? Or is iy a given we will have this functionality at launch? PS4 did not.

I think this highly suggests it won't be there day 1.

It will be interesting to see how much Sony prioritizes UI updates and entertainment apps this gen. It could be a years-long wait if this mirrors PS4. If they are more aggressive this time though, maybe they'll get it working within a year or so.

OP
OP
Loudninja

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Oct 27, 2017
the hell, I didn't even know!

So I'm in the app now, I activated my device through my browser, and it's asking for my master account PIN (as I have multiple accounts). I enter it, but nothing happens. How do I get it to work?
Sorry I can't help you out. I cancelled my Crave subscription months ago (mainly because there wasn't a PS4 app).

Just searched though and this thread on Reddit may be "helpful"? By "helpful" I mean not at all helpful but shows that the app is experiencing issues (go figure). Someone saying they can't access their content and the "fix" is to just keep trying to log in/out.

Oct 27, 2017
Good list. I still use my PS4 constantly for streaming. Interested to see how they integrate "control center" for media viewing. They seem to slide to quick app switching.

With TVs themselves getting good at streaming consoles need to step up the experience.