Deleted member 4532

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Mr. Mime scene is just dumb if you don't know what Mr. Mime is.
The humor of Psyduck being a bomb falls flat of it wasn't primarily for Misty's Psyduck (the games alone aren't enough for this).
Little things like Snorlax blocking the road or Machamp moving traffic won't really be a fun visual.
Mewtwo being the strongest isn't explained properly enough.
And so on.

I can easily see how audiences who have cursory knowledge of the franchise can fail to see appeal in the world presented, which is the strongest part of the movie.
The plot is straightforward and can be understood by anyone, but the main plot itself is pretty weak and cliched.
If that's the case I think I'll enjoy this movie, but I can see how non-fans might not get anything out of it. That's a shame.

JoeInky

Oct 25, 2017
Knew this would happen, the trailers weren't great. Would be very shocked if this is actually better than last year's Tomb Raider.

yAZcj9q.png

I know DP has less reviews than TR at the moment but come on

Just wait until the RT score goes about Captain Marvel!

Deleted member 2340

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The way your post comes off is like you've saw it already and it was the most disappointing thing in the world. Reviews are nothing more then glorified opinions whether they're for or against any product. Unless the product is total shit that is proven to break down after purchase they should be taken with a grain of salt.

If I put just half as much faith as you do into anyone's review scores I would have missed out on a lot of great games and movies threw out my life.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is true as well. One of the highest rated video game movies of all time actually.
One of? As far as I know there's exactly zero live action videogame movie adaptations with a fresh rating. For Detective Pikachu to end up north of 70% would put it head, shoulders, and torso above all videogame movies ever made. Not even close!

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I dont know when 70's became a critical
Bomb on rotten tomatoes. The same rational that comes with game reviews seems to be seeping its way in here

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
Well it's been steadily climbing since last night. Hope it crosses 80%.

Still gonna watch it regardless.

Deleted member 925

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some of these takes really make no sense.

Drive by posts aren't meant to be taken serious.

The trailers have been received very well and there has been positive buzz. Some holier than thou critics who don't understand Pokemon and make lame Dad jokes doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things.

Jersey_Tom

Banned
Dec 2, 2017
I guess I shouldn't be surprised but there appears to be a great deal of disparity between review outlets and how they view the movie.

Some of the reviews in the OP seem to be trying to act like this high brow "UGGGHH, Pokémon is for children/nerds" take is keeping the integrity of what cinema should be. Nothing speaks more to that than the dude saying more gym time is a Pokémon Go! reference.

I'd take an outlet like IGN's review a bit more to heart here. As while they may be skewed given that the demographic who would go to their site obviously is well aware of the universe they're certainly not going to kill them for the general subject matter of the film.

From what I've seen the plot at least isn't wholly original or groundbreaking. But frankly this is a family/kids movie. Since when did it have to be? I'll be checking it out eventually.

GaimeGuy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was hoping for better reviews but sounds like some of these critics were just simply lost with regards to pokemon
definitely and I expect some of the confusion they had was with basic things like gyms and Team Rocket and Elite Four, or things like Jigglypuff singing. I doubt the movie spends a lot of time explaining these things better than focusing on the town and the culture

Raguel

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Detective Pikachu has currently a 74% RT score, Suicide Squad has 27% and reception isn't even good with DC fans.
I'm not commenting about how it's reviewing but on how many people are already making excuses for it. That the movie is "for the fans." I hate that stupid excuse. It construes it as "fans" not caring if a movie is good or not. That they'll accept tepid crap. That shouldn't be the narrative. A movie should stand on its own. If the movie is bad, we fans should call it out on it.

i'm glad it's reviewing better and the wife and I already bought thursday preview tickets last week. I just want it to be good and not a movie "made for the fans."

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Okay, since it's hit 75%, that's an important landmark for RT, it means it can possibly qualify for a Certified Fresh.

To qualify for a Certified Fresh the following is required
  • A steady Tomatometer score of 75% or higher.
  • At least five reviews from Top Critics.
  • Films in wide release must have a minimum of 80 reviews.
  • Films in limited release must have a minimum of 40 reviews.
  • Only individual seasons of a TV show are eligible, and each must have a minimum of 20 reviews.
  • If the Tomatometer score drops below 70%, then the movie or TV show will lose its Certified Fresh status.
The steady 75% is the thing to watch, and we'll see what happens as more reviews come in (It's still fairly low on numbers at the moment)

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This isn't Gone with the Fucking Wind. It's a Pokemon movie.

Anything in the 70's is fantastic. Anecdotally, my fiancee and I are going to see now because the reviews are respectable.

rzmunch

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
Okay, since it's hit 75%, that's an important landmark for RT, it means it can possibly qualify for a Certified Fresh.

To qualify for a Certified Fresh the following is required
  • A steady Tomatometer score of 75% or higher.
  • At least five reviews from Top Critics.
  • Films in wide release must have a minimum of 80 reviews.
  • Films in limited release must have a minimum of 40 reviews.
  • Only individual seasons of a TV show are eligible, and each must have a minimum of 20 reviews.
  • If the Tomatometer score drops below 70%, then the movie or TV show will lose its Certified Fresh status.
The steady 75% is the thing to watch, and we'll see what happens as more reviews come in (It's still fairly low on numbers at the moment)
It started at 67, can it still be Certified Fresh?

Loan Wolf

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
My RT expectations:

<59% - damnit...
60%-70% - Satisfactory
71%-80% - Awesome!
81%> - MOMHOLYFUCK.jpg

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
My RT expectations:

<59% - damnit...
60%-70% - Satisfactory
71%-80% - Awesome!
81%> - MOMHOLYFUCK.jpg
in rare cases. Some movies in the lower end are pretty fantastic.

The Prestige is one of my favorite films. Think it got a 76% on rotten tomatoes. (But that was a time where review counts were lower).

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Knew this would happen, the trailers weren't great. Would be very shocked if this is actually better than last year's Tomb Raider.

at this point i think it's more that there's a secret fanclub of that awful tomb raider movie trying to save the honour of lara croft
that's the only explanation i got for these takes

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Oh nice, the RT score has gotten higher

That the movie is "for the fans." I hate that stupid excuse. It construes it as "fans" not caring if a movie is good or not. That they'll accept tepid crap. That shouldn't be the narrative. A movie should stand on its own. If the movie is bad, we fans should call it out on it.

I agree, I definitively learned my lesson on this after BvS lol

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not commenting about how it's reviewing but on how many people are already making excuses for it. That the movie is "for the fans." I hate that stupid excuse. It construes it as "fans" not caring if a movie is good or not. That they'll accept tepid crap. That shouldn't be the narrative. A movie should stand on its own. If the movie is bad, we fans should call it out on it.

i'm glad it's reviewing better and the wife and I already bought thursday preview tickets last week. I just want it to be good and not a movie "made for the fans."
I don't disagree with you at all, the "for fans" thing is usually used to dismiss any kind of criticism. But this one at least seems to be decent/fun enough for a general audience, even if you miss a few jokes.

Advc

Nov 3, 2017
An actual good videogame based movie!!?? wat is this!?

Going to watch it hell yes.

Auros01

Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
Reviews look solid. I was on the fence about this movie - I'm not a huge Pokemon fan but the trailers looked delightful. These reviews might actually convince me to see it (maybe an early morning show or matinee). The movie looks like a lot of fun.

...I really shouldn't bite, but fine, who is "y'all" in this case? Can you quote a single person who actually thought that, even a single person, or are you just trolling? Where in the world is this nonsense coming from?

You didn't see that thread on here where we were debating which would make more money? I forget the title of the thread, but many people were arguing Detective Pikachu would make wayyyyyy more money than Avengers: Endgame.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
You didn't see that thread on here where we were debating which would make more money? I forget the title of the thread, but many people were arguing Detective Pikachu would make wayyyyyy more money than Avengers: Endgame.

I thought that was Detective Pikachu vs. Toy Story 4. (I argued in favor of DP.)