• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
The Hostage scene from Detroit which is the first proper scene of the game and Connor's introduction chapter was released on PSN as a free playable Demo.
Feel free to post your impressions, flowcharts, alternative paths and screenshots here so we have a singular thread for it that can remain spoiler free from the rest of the game and just released previews for those who wish to remain on a blackout, but still discuss the demo.

Demo is confirmed to use the final assets and engine for this particular chapter (outside a possible day 1 patch). HDR and Pro support with 4K (checkerboarding) and improved visual quality (e.g. better volumetric lighting) are in. Please ensure the brightness is properly calibrated in the settings so the contrast is correct.

Framerate:

Rock solid 30 fps most of the time with minor drops during quick cuts.

PS4 Base vs. Pro:

Last edited:

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Loved it. It went from a maybe to definate purchase based on the demo .if u r into this genre of games ,we r in for a treat .

tiebreaker

Oct 25, 2017
I've already done 3 routes, pretty much enjoyed it.

- Time limit. Yes, time limit. Having time limit actually made the investigation more tense. Not everything you can interact with is useful. I hope some evidences you find in one scene that seem to be useless, can actually be useful in another.
- Scenes reconstruction. Very neat, and you can rotate the camera around during the reconstruction.
- The flowchart. I hope there is a big flowchart for the overall plot of the game.

Dislikes:
- There are objects that could be useful lying around but you can't interact with until you do the investigation/reconstruction first.
- stupid right stick movement to interact.
- movement still seems very stiff.
- no option to review the clues you've found or I just missed it.

Certinfy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Loved it. Every bit as good as I expected. Flow chart and checkpoint integration is a godsend. By far the best looking game I've ever played too.

Don't really like how R2 tells you where all the clues are though but maybe that's just a feature the androids have or something.

Anyway, got the ending where I saved the girl and the deviant android got shot. I then tried the asshole but honest approach and he jumped off the building with the girl. I love this game.

Certinfy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I think only Connor has this but even if not it is probably a good feature for casuals and when you are in completionist mode. In a first playthrough you can just opt to not use it unless stuck
If only Connor has it that's pretty cool. But yeah, if not it's not a feature I'll use anyway, no harm in it being there.

EDIT: Sorry for double post.

tiebreaker

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, go into a room and press it, clearly highlights all the stuff you can interact with.

I just checked, yeah, there are yellow markers everywhere. But I somehow missed it the first time. Could it be that the yellow marker only appear after you've investigated the objects before? Like on another route?

In any case, yellow markers made the investigation part trivial.

Sealtest

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Enjoyed it as much as I knew I would. Looks extremely pretty and played pretty great besides that right stick controls when investigating.

Best part of the entire demo was seeing Windsor in the background at the end of the demo ( Where I live )

tiebreaker

Oct 25, 2017
lol, I just went outside without finding any clue and still managed to get mission success. Connor is dead though, or is he? He is an android after all. Love it.

Oh, if you help the injured officer, the public opinion will change a bit.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Personally loved it but just hope it gets tougher as it goes on !

As the tutorial mission they kinda hand everything over to you.

The characters interaction between Daniel and Connor felt great.

lol, I just went outside without finding any clue and still managed to get mission success. Connor is dead though, or is he? He is an android after all. Love it.

Oh, if you help the injured officer, the public opinion will change a bit.

Connor is a unique prototype. If he dies, he's done for good.

Likewise if you let the girl die your public opinion drops to hell. They call it a "game changer". I'm assuming your future partner will hate your guts with no repair.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
But is the meter what matters the most?

No, just depends what you try to achieve.

Are you trying to just get close to Daniel and take him out with the chance you're too slow, or try to learn enough about him to convince him to trust you (and then backstab him).

OP
OP
dragonbane

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
But is the meter what matters the most?
It's just a visual representation of the clues and items you gathered. More clues gives you more options in the confrontation. Those eventually lead to the best ending if you so will. If you take a longass time the meter will drop again and Daniel gets nervous which might lock certain options away again

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
It's just a visual representation of the clues and items you gathered. More clues gives you more options in the confrontation. Those eventually lead to the best ending if you so will. If you take a longass time the meter will drop again and Daniel gets nervous which might lock certain options away again

Actually, the funny thing is, I'm pretty sure the best ending is the one that demands the least effort.

Only 8% of people got it and I have yet to find any downside of doing that over collecting 100%. Result seems similar.

tiebreaker

Oct 25, 2017
Personally loved it but just hope it gets tougher as it goes on !

As the tutorial mission they kinda hand everything over to you.

The characters interaction between Daniel and Connor felt great.

Connor is a unique prototype. If he dies, he's done for good.

Likewise if you let the girl die your public opinion drops to hell. They call it a "game changer". I'm assuming your future partner will hate your guts with no repair.

I guess you know more about androids than I do.

910.jpg

One thing I hope for, is that there will be another difficulty option that removes the yellow markers.

It was pretty tense when I was forced to go outside and I wasn't sure if I've collected enough clues to handle the situation.
But..... if you can just press R2 to check, than it would become trivial. Just check everything before the invisible timer runs out.
I know I can just opt to not use R2, but I don't think I can when I know the feature is there.

Oct 28, 2017
Definitely seemed weaker than the Indigo Prophecy demo or the Taxidermist from Heavy Rain.

Only thing that really mattered was getting the gun or not, and you can't just pick up the gun even if you see it, but have to reconstruct the scene which was kind of annoying.

The two videos you can watch unlock dialog choices, but they just really affect percentages that don't seem to matter a whole lot.

Hopefully your actions will actually matter like previous QD titles, instead of telling you your choices matter when they really don't like a Telltale game.

BTW if anyone is curious here's the full flowchart:
https://i.imgur.com/6MrwxTn.jpg

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I guess you know more about androids than I do.

910.jpg

One thing I hope for, is that there will be another difficulty option that removes the yellow markers.

It was pretty tense when I was forced to go outside and I wasn't sure if I've collected enough clues to handle the situation.
But..... if you can just press R2 to check, than it would become trivial. Just check everything before the invisible timer runs out.
I know I can just opt to not use R2, but I don't think I can when I know the feature is there.

I don't think that's going to be a problem, clues are mostly there to get context.

On my first try I got a poor ending despite high clues. And I found out a way to get the best ending with almost no clue. It's there if you want it basically.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Wow. My impressions from this demo are great so far: great music, atmosphere, details, animations, interactions. possibilities. Even the controls are more responsive than in the previous Quantic Dream games.

And Alexa voice commands really? Unlock secret ending? WTH? We are doomed.

Nov 3, 2017
I've run through it about 4 times now and I'm only on like 80 something % of unlocks, it's insane, if the whole game has this level of option throughout I'd be incredibly impressed

Beautiful, just gorgeous, and the time limit on things will make this replayable which is nice (I hope it's lenient enough that the still janky controls won't have an effect on it though)

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
I've run through it about 4 times now and I'm only on like 80 something % of unlocks, it's insane, if the whole game has this level of option throughout I'd be incredibly impressed

Beautiful, just gorgeous, and the time limit on things will make this replayable which is nice (I hope it's lenient enough that the still janky controls won't have an effect on it though)

The game with most replay values ever !

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely seemed weaker than the Indigo Prophecy demo or the Taxidermist from Heavy Rain.

Only thing that really mattered was getting the gun or not, and you can't just pick up the gun even if you see it, but have to reconstruct the scene which was kind of annoying.

The two videos you can watch unlock dialog choices, but they just really affect percentages that don't seem to matter a whole lot.

Hopefully your actions will actually matter like previous QD titles, instead of telling you your choices matter when they really don't like a Telltale game.

They said they don't want to spoil any chapter from the game, so I guess they had to go with a mission they showcased, and Connor seemed like a better introduction than the other two.

From what previews said, the choices do matter as it carries on, but this first chapter is obviously not having much unless you're actively trying to be HATED by the community or kill off Connor.

That being said, killing off the main character is a pretty bold choice :p .

DontRaff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can't wait to play the demo but I'm buying the game either way. Looks good and I'm really interested in how the stories play out. It would be cool if there's a Heavy Rain Easter egg in Detroit.

chasingclouds

Jan 5, 2018
England, U.K.
Very impressed with the demo! Actually I'm impressed there is a demo full stop, t's so rare these days! Very pro-consumer.

It looks absolutely beautiful. So realistic. I really enjoyed the touch pad implementation - the swipe and the iPad sound coming from it was a really immersive touch. Some of the outcomes of my choices I found really unexpected. It definitely had me reacting emotionally to what was happening on screen, and I think did a good job of making everything feel in the moment.

My only negative was I have Y inverted with my camera but I found the investigation cursor being inverted felt a bit weird to me, not certain why. It would have been perfect to be able to specify a different setting for the investigation cursor, but that's just me being completely nit picky as to be fair I got used to it quite quickly.

Been trying to find all the different options and I've really enjoyed trying out all the tactics. There's still some options locked I haven't figured out how to access. I was actually concerned pre-demo as to how substantial the game would be, but I've played the demo section for well over an hour, still not tried every option, and I'm still interested enough to want to try it again - so if the rest of the game holds up it's a definite purchase from me. Very impressive, can't wait to see more.

Yappa

Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg/Germany
Damn, this demo made me nervous as hell to not mess up.
Was there always a time limit for the replies? I didn't remember anymore from the few videos I had seen in the past. Adds a lot to the tension of the game.
Not sure if I'll pick this up at launch, but the demo does a good job.
Control/movement could be improved though.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I think I like the sniper ending the best. It shows his character very well.

i ... actually hate this. It made me feel really bad.

I didn't like how fake Connor was because it was unsettling even for me as the player. I wasn't sure if anything he would ever say would be genuine. Yikes.

I prefer the classic "shoot the dude" because at least he shows he's ready to do what it takes. Gaining Daniel's trust to backstab him was completely unnecessary since he could just go closer and shoot him.

Damn, this demo made me nervous as hell to not mess up.
Was there always a time limit for the replies? I didn't remember anymore from the few videos I had seen in the past. Adds a lot to the tension of the game.
Not sure if I'll pick this up at launch, but the demo does a good job.
Control/movement could be improved though.

Yes there is, I'm actually not sure what happens if times runs out. If he just picks a random option or there is an option for "nothing".

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
Holy shit the image quality in this on a base PS4 is ridiculous. Was convinced the opening was a movie file rather than rendered graphics. Expect visuals like this from a Pro, not my old launch console..

Now to continue playing.

OP
OP
dragonbane

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
i ... actually hate this. It made me feel really bad.

I didn't like how fake Connor was because it was unsettling even for me as the player. I wasn't sure if anything he would ever say would be genuine. Yikes.

I prefer the classic "shoot the dude" because at least he shows he's ready to do what it takes. Gaining Daniel's trust to backstab him was completely unnecessary since he could just go closer and shoot him.
Connor in this very first scene does seem very cold and completely calculating for mission success whatever the cost. Later on I'm sure you can shape how he develops going forward

tiebreaker

Oct 25, 2017
Me too! I felt absolutely awful about that ending, it came as I total shock to me too, I really wasn't expecting that to happen. Testament to the game though, I really did care.
It gave me chills when he just shrugged it off and walked back in.

I think Connor is just trying to dissolve the situation using means with the highest success probability. By being nice or just shoot the deviant. He doesn't seem to have emotions unlike the other androids that we've seen.

Venom

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Manchester, UK

Can you upload elsewhere? I can't any of the words.