• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
There is no consensus, review scores are all over the place. The fact that the metacritic score is high also doesn't mean that the game's "commentary" on slavery can't be discussed or ridiculed.

Your post is also incredibly hypocritical given your hypersensitivity to any criticism of Sony and your behaviour in previous review threads
Two posts are negative, and >90% of the reviews are 70 or above. I think you need to look more into what "all over the place" entails. Not just a vast majority, almost ALL of the reviews being positive (literally 90%) is NOT even close to all over any place.

And there's irony in your post considering someone could easily call you just as bias considering you berated any Sony game that wasn't at least an arbitrary 80 or above.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
Why are we talking about BOTW in here? It makes more sense with GOW because they are super high meta-scores but whatever...

Zelda was an 8.5 to me, maybe even an 8. Who knows, maybe I'll like this game more ;)

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
There is no consensus, review scores are all over the place. The fact that the metacritic score is high also doesn't mean that the game's "commentary" on slavery can't be discussed or ridiculed.

Your post is also incredibly hypocritical given your hypersensitivity to any criticism of Sony and your behaviour in previous review threads
Not really, the consensus is that it is a good game, I mean that's exactly what metacritic is for. Like, that's it's exact fkn purpose, lol. It's averaging an 80% good reviews.

How ironic you use the word ridicule to back a discussion for people who haven't played the game. I assume you mean posters and not reviewers because you said "discussed".

And you should chill with the personal attacks as YOU seem hypersensitive.

VanDoughnut

Oct 30, 2017
Lots of positive scores. Might have to pick this up sooner than I thought. Makes me wish for an Until Dawn sequel.

Buckley

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Are you talking to me or nah? You've posted this twice and gone "Sorry, wrong person." Make up your mind, lol.

He's proven that he's not. There are receipts for this.

We have enough of the reviews you're asking for, we don't need more of it. We need proper art criticism.

But since we seem to be on opposing sides of the fence in regards to games as art, I'm stopping this conversation here. I appreciate your honesty.

This may be the worst response I've gotten in this thread.

LOOOOOOOOOOOL

Damn good post.

I LOVE the new GOD OF WAR, so Cory don't come for me!
if you posted that you've played games with great stories, yeah, I want to know which ones so I can try them too. Sorry for the confusion, resetera isn't behaving with my ps4 browser lately.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Reviews are not all over the place. It isn't even a mixed reception.
Xp2TSxzl.jpg

To be fair, that doesn't include any of the unscored reviews. Including some really critical ones like The Verge, Kotaku, Mashable and Ars Technica. There are also positive unscored revews that it doesn't include. That metacritic scale isn't accurate to the breadth of reviews out for the game. I've linked to double the amount of negative reviews in this post than are shown on Metacritic. There is variety in the reviews. They're still mostly positive but there are a good amount of mixed and even negative reviews. This isn't a God of War situation of 'everyone loves it'!

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
80 MC is pretty great for the genre. I predicted 84 MC.

Seems like it is best Quantic Dream game by far and one of the best in the genre, so that is pretty good!
The modern narrative adventure genre? That's Oxenfree and 1979 and Life Is Strange and The Walking Dead and, technically, stuff like Subsurface Circular and Sorcery and so on

80s isn't high for the subgenre at all. That's actually right in line with the best ones in recent years

Dick Justice

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
See all the 'intellectuals' have hit the thread. It's a sad state of affairs when people are out to prove that someone's elses subjective opinion is more valid than another.
The game has reviewed well move on.
You could say the same thing about the toxic fanboy reactions to any negative reviews that call for metacritic to ignore them and claim that the reviewers are trolls. But of course, a fanboy like yourself won't bring that up. You're more than happy to prove most people right in assuming that 'gamers' are dipshits who will happily stan for corporations that don't give an iota of a shit about them, and get mad whenever the grown-ups have conversations about media that goes beyond puddle-deep rhetoric and hyperbole.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Huh? 80 is fine.

My issue was with "for this genre"

There's no ceiling on what a game within a genre can get.
But it is saying something when no game in a particular genre has gotten above a certain score and this particular game sells in the top percentile of reviews from said genre. That's what people mean by "for this genre." There is obviously "ceiling" on a grade someone can receive, but it's saying a lot when in some particular chemistry classes no one gets above a certain grade and you manage to get into the 90 percentile.

Bennibop

Oct 30, 2017
You could say the same thing about the toxic fanboy reactions to any negative reviews that call for metacritic to ignore them and claim that the reviewers are trolls. But of course, a fanboy like yourself won't bring that up. You're more than happy to prove most people right in assuming that 'gamers' are dipshits who will happily stan for corporations that don't give an iota of a shit about them, and get mad whenever the grown-ups have conversations about media that's more than puddle-deep rhetoric.

Sorry is your reply meant to be grown up, all I read is an unprovoked verbal attack on someone. Just for your info the point I was raising was directed at both camps, reviews are subjective, most the reviews are positive therefore give the game a go or the demo and make your own mind up or move on play something else.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, that doesn't include any of the unscored reviews. Including some really critical ones like The Verge, Kotaku, Mashable and Ars Technica. There are also positive unscored revews that it doesn't include. That metacritic scale isn't accurate to the breadth of reviews out for the game. I've linked to double the amount of negative reviews in this post than are shown on Metacritic. There is variety in the reviews. They're still mostly positive but there are a good amount of mixed and even negative reviews. This isn't a God of War situation of 'everyone loves it'!
There being variety in scores and there being negative reviews doesn't mean the game's reception is divisive or that the reviews are all over the place. The large majority of reviews, like 70-75%, are positive to very positive on the game.

Deleted member 42221

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 16, 2018
I thought that "We have a dream" image on twitter was a fake parody...

And then I looked at the Kotaku review.

Holy fuck this game's going to be unintentional comedy gold.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
But it is saying something when no game in a particular genre has gotten above a certain score and this particular game sells in the top percentile of reviews from said genre. That's what people mean by "for this genre." There is obviously "ceiling" on a grade someone can receive, but it's saying a lot when in some particular chemistry classes no one gets above a certain grade and you manage to get into the 90 percentile.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/the-walking-dead-a-telltale-games-series

The Walking Dead is sat on 92% on Metacritic (or 89% for the PC version with more reviews to be fair). It won a ton of GOTY awards and was widely praised. If there's a ceiling then The Walking Dead smashed it. And, for what it's worth, I didn't really like The Walking Dead... but it smashed it critically.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
But it is saying something when no game in a particular genre has gotten above a certain score and this particular game sells in the top percentile of reviews from said genre. That's what people mean by "for this genre."
But most games in this genre score in the low to high 80s. Even a lesser known indie one like 1979 has an 80 on Metacritic. This game isn't in the "top percentile of reviews for said game", it's right in line with most of the genre outside of The Walking Dead

nDesh

The Three Eyed Raven
Oct 27, 2017
Correct. I think even 75 is a good game.

It is. My issue wasn't with the 80. I clarified further down that I don't believe there's some ceiling on what MC/OC a game within a particular genre can get.
Well, for example, MEA has a 71 and is treated like the worst shit ever.

In a scale of 1 to 100, the difference between 70 and 80 is not that much, but game reviewers usually use a 6-10 scale, that's why you have so many thinking that an 80 is not an excellent score for a heavily anticipated, and exclusive, game.

Dick Justice

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry is your reply meant to be grown up, all I read is an unprovoked verbal attack on someone. Just for your info the point I was raising was directed at both camps, reviews are subjective, most the reviews are positive therefore give the game a go or the demo and make your own mind up or move on play something else.
Nice try, your comment of "The game has reviewed well move on." and your smarmy dismissal of "intellectuals" kinda shows where you stand. Also interesting of you to try and take the high-road, considering said comment about intellectuals, as if you're offended by the very idea of people speaking about this game critically. Real grown up stuff.

Falconbox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buffalo, NY
That mashable review is really well written and damning. This is what I don't get about video games. How can that person be writing about the same game as these positive reviews. Is it that the mashable reviewer is over sensitive or are games reviewers in general willing to overlook such blatant failures in story and tone because, you know ...pretty graphics. How can someone aim to make a game with this story and seemingly pull it off so badly yet still receive praise from the majority of outlets. I just don't get it.

Opinions.

Some people put movies like Blade Runner or 2001 A Space Odyssey as the greatest movies ever made. Others find them boring and nonsensical.

It all depends on the person reviewing. That's why it's best to generally look for a consensus, see what parts of the reviews overlap, or find a couple reviewers who have the same taste in the medium as you so that you know if their opinions generally align with yours. If they like a game, chances are you might like it too, and vice versa.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
Well, for example, MEA has a 71 and is treated like the worst shit ever.

In a scale of 1 to 100, the difference between 70 and 80 is not that much, but game reviewers usually use a 6-10 scale, that's why you have so many thinkin that an 80 is not an excellent score for a heavily anticipated, and exclusive, game.

There's no way that 80 is an excellent score for a video game. Say what you will about wanting critics to use the full scale, but it's not really the norm. Some outlets do of course, but on balance an average of 80 for a video game is not a great score. It's definitely a good score, but it's not a great score.

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/the-walking-dead-a-telltale-games-series

The Walking Dead is sat on 92% on Metacritic (or 89% for the PC version with more reviews to be fair). It won a ton of GOTY awards and was widely praised. If there's a ceiling then The Walking Dead smashed it. And, for what it's worth, I didn't really like The Walking Dead... but it smashed it critically.
You are looking at the complete series here which only got 16 reviews. The individual episodes scored as follows:

1: 82
2: 84
3: 85
4: 80
5: 89

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
But most games in this genre score in the low to high 80s. Even a lesser known indie one like 1979 has an 80 on Metacritic. This game isn't in the "top percentile of reviews for said game", it's right in line with most of the genre outside of The Walking Dead
Where are you looking? I even did a quick search before making that post and most results I saw were in the 70s (many even lower).

Still just one game. Heavy Rain also got close to a 90. My argumentvusbt that Detroit is in the 99 percentile of its genre. Just better than a large quantity of them based on what I saw.

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The modern narrative adventure genre? That's Oxenfree and 1979 and Life Is Strange and The Walking Dead and, technically, stuff like Subsurface Circular and Sorcery and so on

80s isn't high for the subgenre at all. That's actually right in line with the best ones in recent years

First, 80s is good for any game. Period.

Second, it is high for the genre. Until Dawn is considered by many the best of its kind and it is sitting at 79 MC. Life is Strange episodes are all in the 70s. Telltale Batman is 60s, Game of Thrones is 60s, and then they have the low 80s with Wolf Among Us, Guardians and the original Walking Dead which is the best rated one at 89 MC (that one is definitely a product of a time in which the genre wasnt really carrying so much stigma as today, the same happened with Heavy Rain which has a 87 MC).

The other games you mentioned are not really the same genre. I mean... Oxenfree? Errr... no.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
That mashable review is really well written and damning. This is what I don't get about video games. How can that person be writing about the same game as these positive reviews. Is it that the mashable reviewer is over sensitive or are games reviewers in general willing to overlook such blatant failures in story and tone because, you know ...pretty graphics. How can someone aim to make a game with this story and seemingly pull it off so badly yet still receive praise from the majority of outlets. I just don't get it.
As much as some may very well enjoy it, games criticism is still very much in the mindset of product reviews. Cultural criticism and analysis isn't given the exposure or cheerleading as much as technical or surface level "is this fun?!" type reviews.

Alex Navarro's commentary on the Giant Bomb quick look doesn't speak too highly of it either beyond "yes, it's very pretty."

Falconbox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buffalo, NY
As much as some may very well enjoy it, games criticism is still very much in the mindset of product reviews. Cultural criticism and analysis isn't given the exposure or cheerleading as much as technical or surface level "is this fun?!" type reviews.

Alex Navarro's commentary on the Giant Bomb quick look doesn't speak too highly of it either beyond "yes, it's very pretty."

That's a good thing, isn't it? It's a game. Being fun is really all that matters to me. I don't need all my games critiqued on their cultural impact (looking at the negative reviews for Far Cry 5 as well, I said the same thing).

nDesh

The Three Eyed Raven
Oct 27, 2017
There's no way that 80 is an excellent score for a video game. Say what you will about wanting critics to use the full scale, but it's not really the norm. Some outlets do of course, but on balance an average of 80 for a video game is not a great score. It's definitely a good score, but it's not a great score.
I agree with you.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

Second, it is high for the genre. Until Dawn is considered by many the best of its kind and it is sitting at 79 MC. Life is Strange episodes are all in the 70s. Telltale Batman is 60s, Game of Thrones is 60s, and then they have the low 80s with Wolf Among Us, Guardians and the original Walking Dead which is the best rated one at 89 MC (that one is definitely a product of a time in which the genre wasnt really carrying so much stigma as today, the same happened with Heavy Rain which has a 87 MC).

The other games you mentioned are not really the same genre. I mean... Oxenfree? Errr... no.
This is exactly what I'm referring to. Thanks for this post. No I and no one else called Detroit the epitome of the top tier of the genre, but there's no disputing that it's in the higher escalante of the genre.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Where are you looking? I even did a quick search before making that post and most results I saw were in the 70s (many even lower).

The Walking Dead S1 - 80-89%
Heavy Rain - 87%
Tales from the Borderlands ~ 85%
Life Is Strange - 83-85%
Subsurface Circular - 78-83%
Detroit - 80%
1979 - 80%
Oxenfree - 80%
Until Dawn - 79%
LiS: Before The Storm - 77%
Orwell - 77%
The Council - 75%
Beyond Two Souls - 70%
Batman S1 ~ 65%

And I'd consider Detroit part of that choice-driven/branching-dialogue narrative adventure genre. Orwell, Oxenfree, etc fit right there as well; just because they're not 3D doesn't mean they're not in the same genre

For example, Grim Fandango and Thimbleweed Park are both in the point-n-click/adventure game

RoyaleDuke

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Nowhere
This game is going to be a dumpster fire like everything else this dude and his team creates, but for me, the value is seeing the SBFP LP group playing through these awful fucking games.

My God. This is going to be better than Omikron.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
What type of reality is this now?

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This game is going to be a dumpster fire like everything else this dude and his team creates, but for me, the value is seeing the SBFP LP group playing through these awful fucking games.

My God. This is going to be better than Omikron.

Jesus. You have played already to say something like that? Did David Cage killed your dog?

Such a disrespecful post.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
What type of reality is this now?

I actually think it's true. It's nothing to do with this game in particular, that's just how I look at video game reviews as a whole. I actually really feel that 80 for a game has a very different connotation than, say, a 4 star average for a film.

What do you think? What constitutes a great score for a game for you?

Oct 25, 2017
There were some actual good discussions before, but now it's devolved into something truly annoying. Par for the course for almost every review thread though.

Debating whether to get this on PSN tonight and use the 20% off code on it, or wait and pick it up from Best Buy with GCU.