• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

deadasdisco

Jun 10, 2018
thickasthievesrooftopfeatured.jpg

At a Glance

• The immersive sim genre is beloved for how it lets players explore open-ended solutions to problems.
  • Creative Director Warren Spector and OtherSide Entertainment are making a multiplayer immersive sim called Thick as Thieves.
  • Spector says long-running tabletop roleplaying campaigns were an inspiration for this "thief versus thief" multiplayer game.

Famed creative director Warren Spector still wants to break new game design ground in the world of immersive sims. He and his colleagues at Otherside Entertainment are finally revealing details about the post-System Shock 3 games they've been working on, backed by funding from Aonic Group and its new publishing arm Megabit.

The first is Thick as Thieves, a "thief versus thief" or "TvT" immersive simulator where players compete to steal treasure in open environments. Players sneak or brawl their way through a fantasy world as they would in...well, Thief: The Dark Project (directed by OtherSide vice president of product Greg LoPiccolo). They find the loot, they get the loot, they bring the loot back to their base—but all the while, another player is lurking around the same back alleys and crawlspaces, trying to get the treasure for themselves

"The next area of innovation is to take immersive sims into the live ops world. For most people, it's just a business model. For us, it's a creative choice." He expressed amazement at the fact that the creative and business sides of this idea came together in a way that "wouldn't have been possible a few years ago."

LoPiccolo said the studio is also experimenting with what he calls "behavioral immersive simulation." The classic design logic of immersive sims focuses on the interaction of physical objects in the game world. "What we're pursuing here is a little bit more social," he said, describing how NPCs in the game will be scripted to respond to a wide range of interactions. "There's guards you can bribe, or fences you can get information from. A lot of the gameplay is about collecting information and using it to your advantage in this social world where there are a lot of NPCs and a lot of information flying around."
Full Article - https://www.gamedeveloper.com/desig...ogical-step-for-immersive-sims-is-multiplayer

Smartlord

Oct 27, 2017
This sounds like an absolutely awful fit for the genre, and I'm a huge fan. I hope it goes well for them, but their recent work doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
That could be interesting, though… honestly this is the kind of game where I feel like I'd quick save/load a lot to make up for my lack of skill at it. So multiplayer making that impossible would mean I'd probably be pretty bad at it.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
love warren spector but all the flags are raised for this one

Yoshi88

Oct 26, 2017
Reminds me of the invasion aspect in Deathloop. Not a fan, a key component of imsims for me is being able to take my time, plan my approach, soak in atmosphere and level layout etc. - the pressure of other players racing towards the same goals is just so different to that.

The behavioral stuff sounds neat, but equally if not more suited to singleplayer concepts, so i don't see the USP in taking imsims multiplayer.

Smartlord

Oct 27, 2017
That could be interesting, though… honestly this is the kind of game where I feel like I'd quick save/load a lot to make up for my lack of skill at it. So multiplayer making that impossible would mean I'd probably be pretty bad at it.
I feel as if that's part of the appeal of immersive sims though. The trial and error experimentation is a feature, not a bug, and I'm not sure it could ever make the leap to multiplayer. Let alone competitive multiplayer.

masizzai

Nov 28, 2017
Era just dropped down to their knees in the middle of microcenter. Man said multiplayer would take a single player genre to the next level.

We need more innovative ideas. Gaming on a AAA level has been as cookie cutter as it's ever been. Most iterative generation ever.

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine a co-op game where a group of thieves work together or have their own objectives to meet certain personal and group goals to further what they do, but aren't always reliant on each other. Almost like have a 4 player central base where you can sprawl out, do different tasks and so on, but upgrade yourself, go on your own little journeys and whatnot.

ket

Jul 27, 2018
The immersive sim genre is basically dead so why not? It's not like we have a new Deus Ex or whatever on the horizon lol

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
"The next area of innovation is to take immersive sims into the live ops world. For most people, it's just a business model. For us, it's a creative choice."

It's a business choice don't front.

SnazzyNaz

The Wise Ones
Nov 11, 2019
This actually makes it more intriguing to me - I'm really bad at constantly falling back on quick-loads in ImSims so a setting wherein that's not possible and you're forced to adapt to any mistake sounds kinda cool.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Reminds me of the invasion aspect in Deathloop. Not a fan, a key component of imsims for me is being able to take my time, plan my approach, soak in atmosphere and level layout etc. - the pressure of other players racing towards the same goals is just so different to that.
I mean, yeah. That was the point.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
That's funny, I've been reading about Spector's (and all studios/people that were inspired by him) misadventures in jschreier 's books literally these past few weeks.

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
BG3 shows how immersive sim elements work just fine in MP.

Games like lethal company do this as well.

I don't think this is a "Next Step" as this is already happening

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
A multiplayer focused immersive sim by the developers of Underworld Ascendant. Yeah, I'm going to pass on this one

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Quick save/quick load being such a hallmark of imsim is ironic cause it's the most immersion shattering thing in the world

Like, I do it but I wish there was a better incentive to not do it.

Oct 25, 2017
I can see why people are allergic to this, since savescumming, getting powerful enough to break a game's balance to a degree, and you playing chess against the computer is a lot of what appeals in immersive sims. Let alone the narrative constraints you put yourself under in a multiplayer environment.

But I do think there's something cool about a race to steal a gem, or that you're all pursuing objectives in a shared space. Maybe rat out your rivals to guards and such. But the balancing for that while keeping things fun is really hard, let alone all the griefing. I'd like to see it work but the more I think about it the less I see how it can.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
this seems kind of lopsided, just reading that i'm assuming that what they're really doing is not taking immersive sims and adding multiplayer to them, but taking the things that naturally occur in multiplayer games and using immersive sim tools to make a multiplayer setting more interesting, which would be closer to saying that they are making a multiplayer game more like immersive sim than making an immersive sim a multiplayer game

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
The cynic in me feels he's saying this because it's the pitch Aonic/Megabit ultimately accepted, but I'm more than happy to be pleasantly surprised.

Sabretooth

Oct 27, 2017
India
Spector is on the right track, but it sounds like such a difficult thing to pull off, especially given that Spector hasn't come out with an imsim game in more than 20 years.

Multiplayer inherently makes things less immersive, but go for it, I guess.
This is what I always told my mum when she told me to get out of the house more.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Uhhhhh that is actually the LAST thing I want to see in immersive sims for a myriad of reasons. Can't agree

Jakenbakin

"This guy are sick"
Jun 17, 2018
It sounds cool. A multiplayer game taking cues from the genre is a fun idea, and even if it doesn't appeal to fans of the original genre I think it's an exciting development and direction for online play, if executed well.

AstralSphere

Feb 10, 2021
I applaud the attempt and wish them well, but it sounding like it being multiplayer only pretty much means I'm not going to be interested.

Ryszard

Apr 7, 2018
The answer is never multiplayer... Less for an extremely single player focused genre... Losing all hope.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
I could be interested in this as a co-op game. Multiplayer heist type shit could be fun. Competing against another player or players I'm not so interested in though. Maybe they'll have a mode that doesn't include that.

zma1013

Oct 27, 2017
BG3 shows how immersive sim elements work just fine in MP.

It works, as in, it's playable but I don't think it works well.

Issues with it where the NPCs treat players as the same entity, problems where one person can miss out on entire dialogs and decisions, etc.

I stopped playing it multiplayer because stuff was just happening unbenownst to me because of other players that was counter to what I wanted to do. "Why is the entire town trying to kill me now? I didn't do anything."

BG3 absolutely feels like a single player game with multiplayer "hacked" in.

Last edited:

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
There's absolutely no reason why immersive sim design philosophies can't be successfully applied to multiplayer. Just because it hasn't really been done before (even then, there are examples) doesn't mean it can't be done.

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
It works, as in, it's playable but I don't think it works well.

Issues with it where the NPCs treat players as the same entity, problems where one person can miss out on entire dialogs and decisions, etc.

I stopped playing it multiplayer because stuff was just happening unbenownst to me because of other players that was couner to what I wanted to do. "Why is the entire town trying to kill me now? I didn't do anything."

BG3 absolutely feels like a single player game with multiplayer "hacked" in.

I mean, it's janky but it's certainly not an afterthought.

Of course, MP means the other Players are signifikant actors that also do things in the game - sometimes even things i don't like. That doesn't diminisch the simulation or mean it's not working.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
If it's something Warren Spector helped with or worked on, then I will give it a good look. I don't think he has made an uninteresting game yet.

Spoit

Oct 28, 2017
I could be interested in this as a co-op game. Multiplayer heist type shit could be fun. Competing against another player or players I'm not so interested in though. Maybe they'll have a mode that doesn't include that.
Yeah, I could maybe see it working in a extraction shooter, but man I'm really tired of all these heist games being PVP focused.