Dinobot

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Yeah. Outside of Destiny 2 and Rocket League I don't got time for any more MMO's or living games. It's why I didn't even bat an eye for Division 2.

However, I think publishers release them hoping not every player has decided on a living game to commit to.

Gibordep

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I love that games too, but I decided not to play those games. With the free time I have, I needed to play only that game and , even that way, I would track behind almost every person that play those games.
Every game has his target audience, and developers doesn't need to make every game to fit in every audience.

kalgore

Oct 29, 2017
The industry moves in cycles. Remember when MMORPGs were all the rage? Even the most dedicated players didn't really have time to play multiple of those. There are so many games to play now. Just skip these games as a service if they don't interest you.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah you can find a lot of good info on google
giphy.gif

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
I think one issue is that a normal, single-player game that's 90 hours is something you can put away and come back to later, and the experience will be the same, as long as you didn't get spoiled or something, while some GAAS and online-only titles have a shorter shelf life where they are "relevant" in the gaming experience, thus it does limit how many can be made and played at once.

On the other hand, as other people have said... not all games are for everyone, play what you want, and just deal with it, I guess.

Jeronimo

Nov 16, 2017
I'm in my 30s and have no interest in keeping up with service games. I'm just not a fan of the drip feed of content, time limited raids, or grinding I hear people planning out and scheduling. I don't want that level of responsibility placed on me from games.

The closest is getting back into some of the Rocket League special events for a little while during the year but playing other games whenever I want.

Gloam

Oct 29, 2017
You are a grain of sand, insignificant to the ocean that pulls millions like you into its cold embrace. Even if you wash ashore again many others like you will have been scattered and absorbed in the briny deep.

Oct 31, 2017
Reading through these pages has me wondering who is so free they can afford the time for multiple love game services? Like dont a moajority of gamers fall into student (primary education is 8-3, college is fairly time intensive) or work 40 hours a week? Like that has to encompass a good 80+% of gamers right?

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
It has nothing to do with your work schedule, is has to do with that you're an enthusiast gamer.

Living games are mostly targetted towards people that exclusively play 1-2 games. Most people only buy a handful of games a year at most.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Look, I like living games. Its fun seeing the world change week to week, playing with my friends and family, and getting the latest expansion packs. But I have time for ONE of them...ONE. If I am already playing a living games, I got about 2 years on it before I think swapping to another. If your single/multiplayer game is a living game, I'm not picking it up, because I already have my living game Im playing and wont have time for yours. If youre trying to pull me off my current living game, youre going to have a hell of a hard time, because I invested a lot of time already and you need to do something SPECTACULAR to turn that away. On top of that, know that the current living game has had years to improve and is still pumping out content on a regular basis.

So if you are doing your cost risk analysis on a living game, just know that it is more than likely I am not playing your game. In fact, I might have bought your game if it WASNT a living game, because I know I could set aside time for it. But if it takes me 90 hours to play your living game, and I have the option to play 6 other games in that same time frame instead....Im playing those other games. And if your living game has a sequel? Oh boy, well you better make sure the first one has been over for like a year before I get excited about a sequel. Because I dunno if I want to start that grind all over and I certainly dont know if Im actually done with the first yet.

If I was asked if I like living games? I would say YES I love them! So cool how they do all these changes throughout the year.
If I was asked if I would play more than one of these at any given time? Hell no. I dont have time for that.
What is your living game?

Like I play Destiny but don't fuck with Fortnite, two living games but two totally different games.

People love WoW but don't like Final Fantasy or Elder Scrolls Online (and vice versa)

The audience out there is big enough to cater to different types.

For example, people that don't like Destiny may LOVE what Square Enix is doing with Avengers just because of the IP.

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
Reading through these pages has me wondering who is so free they can afford the time for multiple love game services? Like dont a moajority of gamers fall into student (primary education is 8-3, college is fairly time intensive) or work 40 hours a week? Like that has to encompass a good 80+% of gamers right?

Live service games generally don't take that much time, though. We aren't talking about MMOs here (unless someone is talking specifically about MMOs, in which case I agree).

I play tons of live service games, but what I don't do is obsess over unlocking absolutely everything or playing every night. It doesn't mean I don't get my money's worth.

Like, when Destiny 1 came out I played casually for about 2-3 months and got max Light level, stopped and went to play another game. Very much enjoyed my time. I certainly don't align with the OP that I pick one game to follow for years.

Dixie Flatline

alt account
Banned
Sep 4, 2019
New Orleans
I didn't go to college but I hanged out with people who did and my guy friends had all the time in the world to play video games.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
Yeh fully agreed, people that have a lot of time to play video-games is just a minority.

The amount of live-games that can be on the market is limited. Only so many can share your time.
I have a lot of friends, who only get FIFA every year and maybe another game or 2 that piques their interest. That's it.

Gxgear

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver
Personally, the thing about GaaS/living games is that once I'm behind on the updates, I just drop the game off my regular playlist completely. After missing the Iceborne release by just 1 week, it took me over a month of really trying to get back into the swing of things, despite having put in maybe 700 hours into MHW. It does not feel good to see all the cool new latest content that you still have to work towards.

Girsej

Oct 25, 2017
I concur!!

I actívely avoid all GAAS-games with the futile hope that I'll be able to play all those sweet games that's gathering dust! A man can dream...

It also helps spread the money around so that all the already megapublishers don't get all the money and become even bigger...

Deleted member 9486

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Devs know this. They know the market for these games is mostly kids through college kids with a ton of free time, no lifer adults with tons of time but little money who are thus drawn to games they can play long term (even better if it's F2P) and getting some of the rest of us who play maybe one of these games at any given time along side the other non live/service games we're playing.

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There is plenty of room for GAAS games maybe just not in the same genre. Warframe, Destiny and Division are completely different games that offer completely different playstyles (even though they all have guns the mechanics and playstyles are different) Same with Diablo and POE if you count those as GAAS games. Even when you get into the MMO territory Black Desert, Tera, FFXIV, Guild Wars, WOW, Neverwinter are all MMORPG's but they offer wildly different playstyles and are all different from each other enough to offer things that different people will like.

There are a ton of MMO's, GAAS games and FPS games but there are a lot of different games in those genres and are different enough to offer different things that it's worth it for them to be out. It's like why make a MMO when WOW and FFXIV exist? Because you can make a different experience to bring different types to players to your game. It's not like they are all carbon copies.

I can't speak to MMOs, because I don't follow them, but your first example of Warframe/Destiny/Division doesn't make your point as Des/Div are having brutal times right now. Des2 is rebounding somewhat, but parting ways with Blizz and going F2P was definitely a change in monetization.

Gaiseric

Aug 4, 2019
There's your problem right there. The gaming industry hasn't caught up with the fact that Millennials are old now. They sell stuff to kids and young adults and people in their 30s just happen to come along for the ride.

This is the future though. It's only now that it isn't normal.

But in the future every single age group/demographic will either be gamers or have been gamers at one point.

I personally think living games should be made regardless. If one person doesn't have time for them others will.

Not everyone has time to read the same book or series of books, but they're still made anyway.

The same logic applies.