• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
EHb-TawX4AEc0nZ.jpg:large

While characters sleeping in beds was common the in 8 & 16 bit era, after that time the practice of animating a blanket and having the character actually sleep underneath became a lost art. Even some of the biggest AAA games with budgets the same as a small country stay away from this complex task.

I understand why on paper. It's 10x easier to just slap your model on a bed in their default gear for what will ultimately be a 5 swc transition scene as they never go to sleep again. But the act of seeing a character actually under the covers has elevated numerous titles to GOTY status.

We have accounts for stuff like "Can you pet the dog" when in reality this is a 10x more important and relevant matter.

Because of this, I'd love if the community could post some games in recent years that weren't scared to go above and beyond so we can celebrate them and their sacrifice to true art.

Aerial51

Apr 24, 2020
I somehow knew before i clicked on that Thread that i would see a picture of Deadly Premonition lol

Caiusto

Oct 25, 2017
Cyberpunk is so funny on this aspect that not only does the character not sleep under the blanket but they don't even lie down in parallel with the bed.

jblanco

Oct 27, 2017
Ys 1 actually has an unlockable achievement about it. With very fan servicey intentions of course.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The nights are cold and a warm blanket will keep you from catching a cold. Please think of the health of your characters.

But seriously, it's always been weird how characters just sleep on top of the blankets.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
The nights are cold and a warm blanket will keep you from catching a cold. Please think of the health of your characters.

But seriously, it's always been weird how characters just sleep on top of the blankets.
It's actually not weird as modelling dynamic bed sheets would be expensive to run but also take some time to actually implement.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
FF3 did this in a brilliant way. They set the bottom half of the bed to cut away at the characters sprite so it looks like the character is laying down on the pillow under the covers. Its so smart.

14-ffvi07_026.png

SkyOdin

Apr 21, 2018
The Trials of Mana remake actually has the characters under the covers when you sleep at an inn. It isn't as cool as the original SNES version where they had custom sleeping sprites and took off their shoes, but it is still better than average.

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
I also hate when they go to sleep with the fucking armor they used all day to slaughter filthy monsters.

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
Persona 5 even accurately emulates the struggle of attempting to sleep with a pet.
maxresdefault.jpg

HorseFD

Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne
This always really annoys me, until I think about how much developer work it would be for so little gain, and that they could better spend their time on other elements of the game.

inpHilltr8r

Oct 27, 2017
so there's a scene in tlou2, where someone takes a t-shirt off, and all the technical animators I know lost their shit about it

Jakenbakin

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Jun 17, 2018
I didn't take a picture but I thought it was funny when I played Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Torna the other day there was a cutscene of the party all sleeping around a campfire. The two children in the party, that are NPCs, are covered by blankets, but everyone else is just laying around in their dorky Xenoarmor.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Eww.

But this due to having a "uniform" as part of his design. Leads to stuff like this. Also why video game characters don't use the toilet.
When Cloud goes to sleep there is little animation of him placing his Buster Sword against the wall and then laying down. They could have just make camera pan upwards as you hear sounds of shoes hitting the floor for few seconds, while obviously model still has them.
Probably everyone at SE would have went "dude, no one cares" to such suggestion lol.

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
FF3 did this in a brilliant way. They set the bottom half of the bed to cut away at the characters sprite so it looks like the character is laying down on the pillow under the covers. Its so smart.

14-ffvi07_026.png

I mean, it's much easier to be brilliant when this is all it takes lol. Imagine how this would work at all in 3D?

A1an

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Yes, I mean they have bothered to make a blanket that goes on the bed in the first place, surely it cannot be that hard to have a characters under a blanket, it is not like they have to have the character change size or shape the dimensions with the clothing they are wearing wouldn't change.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When Cloud goes to sleep there is little animation of him placing his Buster Sword against the wall and then laying down. They could have just make camera pan upwards as you hear sounds of shoes hitting the floor for few seconds, while obviously model still has them.
Probably everyone at SE would have went "dude, no one cares" to such suggestion lol.
If it were Aerith of Lightning you can bet they would have cared lol

Tab

Nov 23, 2017

14-ffvi07_026.png

I don't know if I'd call it brilliant, I know for a fact that the Gen 3 Pokemon games do this exact thing (I can't find an image online though), and I would assume other sprite-based games do this as well.

It's really more an issue with 3D games, I assume because they'd rather have them just lay on top of the bed than have a clipping issue.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seiken Densetsu 3/Trials of Mana went so far as to make wholly original sprites for the cast when they sleep at the inn you could barely see because they were covered by a blanket.

Anyway I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just saying consider the manpower that would go into this and whether it's worth it.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I read somewhere that an animator's worst nightmare is a character handing an object to another character on screen. This might come at close second